Print

Author Topic: What Would You Like to See in the Next Metroid Installment?  (Read 7089 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: January 04, 2011, 11:00:14 PM »
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that I'm probably one of the biggest Metroid fanboys on this forum, so maybe I've put more thought into this than most care about.  But since Other M's release, I could do nothing but think about what they failed to do.  Maybe that's overly negative.  In fact, I know it is.  Other M's gameplay was pretty good.  But in my opinion (and in quite a few others'), Nintendo is taking the series in the wrong direction.  A common question put to those who express dissatisfaction at something is "Well, how would you do it, then?"  Been thinking about that recently and figured I might as well make a thread about it, since we're a little short on those right now.

What would I like to see in the next Metroid?
  • First and foremost, a return to non-linear gameplay and exploration.  I wish Nintendo would just concentrate on making a good game and let the fans enjoy it however they like.  That means keeping sequence breaks and [non-game-borking] glitches in instead of removing them for no apparent reason.
  • A better-written Samus.  I seem to be one of the few who doesn't mind seeing Samus show some personality.  However, I think Other M went about it all wrong.  While it didn't damage Samus beyond repair, it did try its very hardest to uproot everything that is good about the character, and that might take some effort to reverse.  Please hire some better writers, next time, 'kay?
    • And if that's too tough, just resist the urge to add in an uber-dramatic story just for the sake of making the game more epic or well-rounded or artsy or what have you.
  • A soundtrack to speak of.  Other M hired two orchestras to do the soundtrack and there were a grand total of two or three songs in the whole game that had any sort of distinctive melody.  I have nothing against ambient music, but I really prefer actual tunes.  To this end, I would suggest getting Kenji Yamamoto back on board.
  • New and useful power ups, of which there have been a disturbing lack.  Metroid II introduced several new power ups, all of which were extremely useful.  Super Metroid did much the same thing, although there were a couple of stinkers (X-Ray Scope, I'm looking at you).  Later titles, though, have relied too much on "classic" power ups to carry the gameplay.
  • Speaking of power ups, retool the Grapple Beam so that it can be used in combat situations as well as all those silly contrived platforming segments, as was the case in Prime, Echoes, and Other M.  As much as I chew Corruption out, I approve of the fact that they gave the Grapple Beam at least some use outside of the aforementioned contrived circumstances.  Seriously, how cool would it be to grab an enemy with the Grapple Beam, lift it above Samus' head, then slam it into the ground for massive damage?
  • An isolated atmosphere.  Make Samus the only not-evil being on the planet (preferably not another space station) that she's exploring.
  • Similarly, make the atmosphere creepy.  Not outright nightmarish, but ominous.  This is one thing Fusion and Other M got right.  I'd like to see more of it, but with traditional and open Metroidvania gameplay.

What about you guys?  Anything you'd like to see in future Metroid titles?  It can be something as general as a change to the fundamental mechanics, or as specific as wanting the Morph Ball to roll at a different speed.[/list]
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:37 PM »
Step 1: Take Metroid: Other M

Step 2: Remove all cutscenes. If not possible, have cutscenes be sparse and with no dialog.

Step 3: Make the game structure less linear.

Step 4: Bring back the Spider Ball and make it work on any surface.

Step 5: Add in a couple of new power-ups for flavor. I myself came up with a Light Visor for dark areas and Ice Bombs to complement the Ice Missiles.

Step 6: Tidy up the 3D combat a bit. The auto-aiming, the sensemove and the QTE attacks didn't always respond properly. Also, have a regular missile button instead of being forced to switch to Search Mode. Hell, if possible, allow Samus to move around during Search Mode, even if its just strafing.

Step 7: Congratulations, you've just made the Metroid game that The Chef would like to see next.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:26:17 PM »
I just want Super Metroid, Metroid II, and the original Metroid to be reiterated with true 3D environments, and for them to have good musical remixes (I wasn't pleased with the Other M at all.).
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:58:17 PM »
First and foremost, future Metroid games (or games in general, I should say) shouldn't have missables. Few things in this world are more aggravating than losing out on 100% completion of a game due to one permanently-missed enemy scan or powerup. A "Boss Arena" mode and a first level that doesn't explode upon being completed would be more than enough for a missable-free title. Newer instalments in countless classic series have done away with missables, so Metroid is ripe to follow suit.

Also, have a regular missile button instead of being forced to switch to Search Mode. Hell, if possible, allow Samus to move around during Search Mode, even if its just strafing.

Amen. I can attribute at least one game-over thus far to having switching into "missile mode" and not orienting the targeting reticule fast enough.

My beef with Samus' dialogue in Other M isn't so much the content as it is how she delivers it. Her cold, stoic tone makes her seem like a robot within a human within a robot.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 04:23:13 AM »
More Zero Suit segments. I loved that near-endgame moment in Zero Mission, and wish we'd have more chances to play that kind of style. It's pretty sweet to just stealth about and only stun your enemies instead of blowing them the **** up.

Also some more badass bounty hunters. I loved those guys in Corruption, not so much in Hunters but that game blows anyway. I'm probably in the minority of wanting to see the Metroid universe be a bit more lively and expand beyond simple history logs, but whatever.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 11:57:35 AM »
I just want Super Metroid, Metroid II, and the original Metroid to be reiterated with true 3D environments, and for them to have good musical remixes (I wasn't pleased with the Other M at all.).
I would pay for an updated remake of Super.  Give it the controls of the GBA games (no separate button for running, a system where missiles are armed by holding a button instead of toggling them on and off, etc.) but keep the physics true to the original - otherwise the levels would have to be changed around quite a bit. 

In addition, I would want more in-game options, such as variable difficulty settings (all available from the start, please)... and going back to the controls thing, the ability to switch between Super's, with the run button and the weapon toggle; and Fusion's/Zero Mission's, with the streamlining.

Another thing to include would be a sizable extras section, in which you can view the endings you've unlocked, enjoy concept art, cutscenes, best times, and a sound test (which would include both the updated tracks that one hears in-game and the classic music); but what would really sell the game for a lot of people would be the inclusion of the original Super Metroid as an unlockable bonus.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
Pick up where Fusion left off storywise. Pick up where Zero Mission left off in terms of gameplay (sequence breaks, faster pace than Fusion). Sidescroller. Full 2D with hi-res handdrawn sprites if on a console, or incredibly detailed lo-res sprites (a la Melty Blood) if on a handheld; either way, I don't want any of this 2.5D BS.

And what Turtlekid said about having all difficulties available from the start. That goes for every video game ever.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37:05 PM »
More Zero Suit segments.

Sounds like something ShadowBrain would want.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
Except I'm not looking for an excuse to pause and fap mid game. I honestly thought that extra level in Zero Mission was very challenging and unique and it's quite a shame its the only time we've had a chance to play in that style so far. Imagine if roughly half the game had you armed with only the Stun Gun and you were still stuck on a desolate planet or an abandoned space base. It could bring in the survival horror aspects so many have been clamoring for without completely changing the way Metroid is usually played.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »
Except that it did, and does, completely change the way Metroid is usually played.  The lovely thing about Metroid is that it doesn't need the character to be weak in combat to have a survival-horror atmosphere.  Quite frankly, I like blowing the aliens up instead of hoping to God that they don't suddenly turn around and see me.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »
...but then being powerful enough to blow up your enemies completely destroys any survival-horror aspects it may have had. Being alone on a creature infested planet is scary at first, until you have enough power-ups to blow it all up. Hell, you can get through it with just the regular charge beam anyway, so the aspect is even more devalued.

Of course, I'm probably just playing too much Dead Space to expect the same out of Metroid.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »
I would pay for an updated remake of Super.  Give it the controls of the GBA games (no separate button for running, a system where missiles are armed by holding a button instead of toggling them on and off, etc.) but keep the physics true to the original - otherwise the levels would have to be changed around quite a bit. 
This. After playing Zero Mission and Fusion, it's going to be really tough for me to adjust to playing Super for the first time. The GBA games perfected the controls, with fewer buttons than a SNES controller; having a run button and switching missiles on and off with a whole bunch of button presses feels totally wrong.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 12:49:54 AM »
Anyone else miss the Spazer and think that the Wave Beam needs to go back to just being the wall-penetrating beam?  I do.  In a 3D game, maybe the Spazer could be presented as sort of a shotgun-type weapon, albeit with the ability to charge it up for more precise shots.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 04:13:02 PM »
I would want another Metroid game like Super Metroid, except with updated graphics and controls, more power-ups, collectibles, weapons, and etc. Oh, and the ability to toggle your power-ups on and off is a must, too. I really liked how in Super Metroid you can decide to make the game more challenging at will just by taking off all your power-ups.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
You could also decide to do something like this with item toggling.  :)

Being able to turn off Ice Beam and High Jump in certain areas is also a good idea for practical reasons.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 10:50:31 PM »
There's also that Gravity Jump glitch, but I don't want to get into Super Metroid glitches/tricks; we'd be discussing them for weeks, lol.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »
If they make a Super remake, they should change it up a bit so that after you push Crocomire into the lava, and go back to the spike wall, and his skeleton jumps out at you, you would have to fight the skeleton, too.

EDIT: Now, this would've been cool.  They could still do it and have a completely unique game.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:49:56 AM by Turtlekid1 »

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 03:31:47 PM »
EDIT: Now, this would've been cool.  They could still do it and have a completely unique game.

I'm not a huge Metroid fan, but I'm not going to lie, this game looks like it would have been absolutely awesome. Love the idea of the multiple personality AI.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 02:34:55 AM »
Make it another FPS like Prime. Trilogy showed that the Wii can do FPS controls really well, and it's a shame there aren't many more of them.

That being said I still haven't played Prime 2 or 3 so it's not my place to be asking for more...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 07:56:32 PM »
Any remake of Super that comes out needs to have saving the animals at the end be mandatory.

Also, BP, at least play EchoesCorruption is optional, but Echoes is a great game.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 09:11:38 PM »
Still butthurt about those speedrunners, eh, Turtlekid?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 09:14:09 PM »
Yep!

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 09:18:54 PM »
I think Other M was a step in the right direction as far as having an environment to explore. Sure it was all on a space station (or a space station-like area), but there were times that I completely forgot that fact.

The storytelling, not so much. I liked Samus' voice and thought it fit with her well, but some of the lines I felt were delivered with too much monotone. Emotions have been authorized Samus!

If they went the remake route like this, making a remake/sequel to Super, I would be content.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 03:05:10 AM »
BP, play Echoes.

I'll get to it when I get to it, currently I'm borrowing some other games that I should finish before I start into anything new.

And, I'll probably love Corruption; am I right in guessing your disdain for it is somewhat personal?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 08:34:18 AM »
No.  The mechanics are just incredibly broken, and AU 242 is rather Navi-like.

Print