Poll

Which Mario villain should make a comeback?

Wart
10 (15.6%)
Tatanga
12 (18.8%)
Wario
14 (21.9%)
Smithy
4 (6.3%)
Cackletta
5 (7.8%)
Sir Grodus
0 (0%)
The Shadow Queen
1 (1.6%)
Princess Shroob/Elder Princess Shroob
1 (1.6%)
Count Bleck
0 (0%)
Dimentio
1 (1.6%)
Mr. L/Brobot L-Type
3 (4.7%)
Fawful
4 (6.3%)
Donkey Kong
1 (1.6%)
Mario
5 (7.8%)
None of these chodes, Bowser forever!
2 (3.1%)
None of those dingleberries, bring on some new badness!
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Print

Author Topic: Mario's Past Villains  (Read 8648 times)

« on: February 06, 2012, 12:55:53 AM »
Here's a retrospective on Mario's non-Bowser foes over the years:  http://shigeruslist.com/2012/02/05/the-mushroom-kingdoms-least-wanted-mia-mario-villains/

Reminds me a bit of the post I made a few months ago about how Wario isn't quite as villainous as he used to be.  Are there any baddies from the past you'd like to see menace the Mushroom Kingdom again?  Or maybe there's a character that deserves a shot at their own series, ala Donkey Kong or Wario?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:00:54 AM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:59:11 AM »
I was going to say ">inb4 people start voting for the RPG villains", but alas, I was too late.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:02:05 AM »
Heh, guilty as charged.  I loved Mr. L..  And while I'd love to see Wario try to take over the world again, I think he's been an anti-hero too long to go back to being a full on-villain.
Haters gonna hate

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:26:54 AM »
I voted forrrrrr

Wario: I'd really, REALLY like it if they played up his anti-hero role some more. To be specific, he should appear in a game like Super Mario 64 where Mario collects stars as a recurring character. In some missions, he has stolen a star and you must beat it out of him. In others, he's trying to steal something more valuable and offers to cooperate with you to get it, and gives you a star if you do. Neither the main antagonist, nor a pawn of Bowser's, just a pain in the ass that you have to be friends with.

Cackletta: Out of all the Mario & Luigi games, something about the Beanbean Kingdom and other original stuff in Superstar Saga resonates with the main series, I think. I would've loved to see it and Cackletta stick around.

Tatanga: Basically I'd want him to be the same thing as Orbulon--a funny little alien who tried to be the bad guy but wasn't very good at it. He's so puny. I can see him serving another villain, but with ulterior motives that, to the player, are obviously doomed to fail.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:01:08 AM »
Tatanga appeared to be Wario's underling in SML2, but these days Wario doesn't really have underlings anymore. To this day I wonder who the hell came up with all those COM opponents in Wario's Woods. Actually, I think I'd like to see THEM make a comeback somehow. Maybe as RPG bosses or something? Who knows...

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:34:27 AM »
What we need is a Wario's Woods remake with WarioWare characters, and maybe Waluigi too (how come Waluigi hasn't been in a WarioWare game?)

Anyway, the ones I voted for..

Wart: We have nearly everything else from SMB2, so why not the main villian? He would make a good alternate villian for the series, possibly a good villian for a spinoff character's games (ie: Super Princess Peach, or if Toad had his own new game). Another heavy type character for the sports spinoffs.. He could even become some sort of comic relief in an rpg setting.

Tatanga: Would have been a naturaul choice in the SMG games, at least for a cameo, but no.. I agree with what BP said about him, and don't really have anything to add to it..

Wario: I would love to see what would happen if the WarioWare Wario tried to buy-out Mario VS Donkey Kong's Mini Mario Toy Co in a hostile takeover.. That aside: a non-spinoff, non-Smash Bros game is where these two should face off again (and I agree with BP again..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:40:14 AM »
We're just such agreeable dudes
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:44:05 AM »
Indeed
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »
Yeah, I also think Wario should be a villain again.

Isn't Donkey Kong basically a villain in the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games?
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »
Yes....but those are the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games. That DK is otherwise not a villainous character.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 08:37:12 PM »
Mario against Mario. It must happen.
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
I concur with Qwerty. Mario's battle with himself is inevitable.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »
Super Mario Bros Mario vs Super Mario 3D Land Mario!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 02:12:55 AM »
We had Mario vs. Mario, kiiiiinda. Shadow Mario.

Shadow Mario feels like kind of a waste, in hindsight. He had a few interesting points going for him. He did some really weird things, had that creepy piercing gaze, an odd weakness to water and a destructive personality. It's like he was planned to be a completely separate entity to start but Bowser and Jr. were brought in partway through...

I guess the intention was for the twist to be twofold, Shadow Mario is someone in disguise, and that someone is Bowser's all-new son. But what if?
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »
Sometimes I entertain the notion that the final boss in Luigi's Mansion was originally supposed to actually be Bowser, getting actually beheaded, and King Boo was just Bowser's ghost, and Sunshine was originally just going to have Shadow Mario.

Doubtful.

However, it might be possible that Luigi's Mansion is set in a future where Bowser is dead, as per Madam Clairvoya or whatever her name was, and King Boo is animating his corpse.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print