Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. U  (Read 41424 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 01:55:09 PM »
Yeah, World would've definitely been better than giving it a title that rhymes with the other game in the series coming out around the same time.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 02:15:51 PM »
I've kinda stopped caring what the games are called now. Super Mario Three Dee Land? That's absurd. But the game itself is ecstasy.

Edit: I also think the "Bros." part at least has become important. When you think "Super Mario Bros. series" you think of the sidescrollers first, no? And besides NSMBDS and the GBA ports, it implies a multiplayer aspect in the main game involving Luigi. Title it anything else and who knows what's gonna happen... At any rate, calling it New Super Mario World would make it sound even less like its own game than the "New" alone already does.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:21:33 PM by BP »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
BP, I disagree.  I think that anyone that enjoyed SMW and remembers it will think that NSMW is a new game with elements from SMW whereas a game called NSMB"X" would be easily confused with the other NSMB games. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »
They should have just called it New Super Mario World. It seems more similar to Super Mario World than Super Mario Bros. I mean, it has the seamless map (judging by LD's post anyway), plus the SMW-esque background style, there's already a New Super Mario Bros. game coming out, there are once again multicolored baby Yoshis/Yoshies and the only other Super Mario World game is Yoshi's Island, which was more a prequel and less a proper sequel or the revival of SMB that these games are.

Calling it NSMW wouldn't work at all. It's got like three SMW elements in it, we'll probably discover some more when it comes out, but they did the same sort of thing in NSMBW as far as nostalgic elements.

Also, idk, I'm pretty sick of the NSMB visual style. Not necessarily the graphics (though, seeing how flat, boring, and similar-looking NSMBU graphically was to NSMBW immediately after witnessing the gorgeous Pikmin 3 made me cringe), but just the cartoony, bright, no depth feel. I quote this game a lot, but it seems DKCR is the only one that did it right.

Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 03:21:40 PM »
I don't really have a problem with the NSMB style visuals, it's just that when you look at the graphics of these newer mario games, they're all starting to look the same. Ninitendo seems to be playing it safe for some reason. There's a reduced amount of experimentation on their part, and you can see that when you go back and look at the last few years of Mario graphics.
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »
It seems as though they're trying to consolidate Mario's image.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 08:58:04 PM »
I don't really have a problem with the NSMB style visuals, it's just that when you look at the graphics of these newer mario games, they're all starting to look the same. Ninitendo seems to be playing it safe for some reason. There's a reduced amount of experimentation on their part, and you can see that when you go back and look at the last few years of Mario graphics.

That's my point: the NSMB visual style can't and won't change from its flat, Candyland-looking color & style. It doesn't look organic or good at all.

Without mentioning DKCR again, I'd say take a look at SMG2's opening sequence or its forced 2D sections as an indicator of what artistic direction they should take a sidescroller Mario game.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »
Oh, I'd forgot about that.  If anyone else has skip to 42 seconds in this video:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbzyvRfsZFA" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbzyvRfsZFA</a>
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2012, 11:47:56 PM »
Oh, I'd forgot about that.  If anyone else has skip to 42 seconds in this video:

I was just thinking about that. It definitely the best example. They could literally take that, change the physics a little bit, and give it the classic Super Mario Bros control scheme.

I still love the backgrounds for New Super Mario Bros U, but I think there should be a seemless transition from the foreground into the background. That would probably take away most of the the bland, depth-lacking feel you get when you see this game. Although I do still think what they've showed us is an improvement from the other NSMB games.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »
Yeah, if they'd just make the foreground actual 3D that is integrated into the background instead of the flat foreground pasted on top of the scrolling background, then that'd be cool (so, pretty much SMG2 intro sequence). DCKR did it, Kirby's Return to Dream Land did it, so why not NSMB?

Also, they seem to love the physics style of NSMB which I consider one of the crappiest feeling Mario games. If they could blend SMB3 and SMW physics, it'd be just fine. SMB3 seemed tighter and more refined, while SMW, while seemingly slippery, gave you a lot more control over Mario's steering in the air, and a little more control when walking. NSMB seems to say, "Screw whatever you grew up with" and throws all that out the window.

However, the craziest thing that has made me sick to my stomach is what they did to the music when you're holding a baby Yoshi. It adds another track to the music just like the bongo drums when riding Yoshi; however, when you're holding a baby Yoshi it adds a harmony of the.... "BAHH BAHH" people. It sounds like chipmunks, and it just drones over the music and other sound effects, and is so grating and irritating, you can't focus on the game.

Go to 5:20 for Yoshi harmony track bonus music ear rape. Is it really necessary? As if it couldn't get any worse, it seems they've also added the chipmunk track to NSMB 2 as part of the normal songs.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzH0Zt5bPpM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzH0Zt5bPpM</a>
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:51:57 PM by Trainman »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 07:56:20 PM »
New universal rule-of-thumb proposal

Do not ***** about games you're gonna play regardless of everything you ***** about (and you know you will), especially if your *****ing covers every aspect of the game
It's YOUR problem!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »
I'll probably pass on both games and maybe pick them up when they're on sale. Besides, why am I not allowed to talk about Nintendo for not really changing anything about NSMB other than adding questionable gameplay and musical elements?

But, oh yeah, I'm at a Mario forum.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 11:45:48 PM »
Just a proposal. Anyone like it?
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 12:04:51 AM »
I propose that we don't use the word "rape" to mean "choosing to listen to music I don't like."
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 05:09:36 AM »
True, it's really insulting to peole who choose to listen to music they don't like.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print