Print

Author Topic: Let's *Not* Play, Apparently  (Read 4821 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:06:21 AM »
http://www.gamefront.com/nintendo-flexing-copyright-clout-on-youtube-lets-play-channels/

So Nintendo called "muh copyrights" and is now fixing to get paid even more from videos with their stuff in it--which in this case, already amounted to free advertising anyway. Yeah, I'm aware it's not just Nintendo that can/has done this, but with as much as they've been bungling marketing the last few years, it's certainly hard to see how it's doing anyone favors. Thoughts?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:16:05 AM »
I'm siding with Nintendo on this one. As I said last night: Internet in "people get butthurt about not being allowed to make money off other people's content" shocker.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 10:42:33 AM »
Uhh, "Let's *Not* Play"? Nintendo is basically saying "please keep making these"

And **** no, you have no claims to money to commentate twelve-year-old pokémon games
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 11:22:57 AM »
Nintendo is not an indie company that needs the advertising, so I don't really see the problem; they're not even pulling the plug on LPs. It's certainly no surprise that they want to make money on products they own.

On the other hand, I'll miss a good 50% of Zack Scott's videos.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
I like how parts of the Let's Play community on YouTube is freaking out over this as if they filed actual copyright complaints and took the videos down. I saw one from this dude who was like "YOU CAN'T CONTROL ME! YOU THINK YOU CAN SAY YOU OWN YOUR CUSTOMERS?" and it was just like, y'know, he's still allowed to make his videos and his videos are staying up, they're just not letting him get money off of it, who cares? Why would you start doing LPs on YouTube just to make money anyway?
Relics.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »
The way the situation has been reported isn't doing Nintendo any favors. A lot of sites are painting it as a David and Goliath situation, because that gets more pageclicks than the more realistic "company enforces copyright and people on the Internet have entitlement issues."

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 12:49:50 AM »
Frankly, if I like a game enough to do a Let's Play of it, I don't mind the people who made it getting money.

I would do 10,000 LP's of Ristar if it would convince Sega to make another one via cash inflow.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 08:20:46 PM »
I don't get the whole "free advertisement" defense. Who cares if these people are "advertising" their games. That's not really their primary objective.

I hate the vast majority of Let's Plays.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »
Lets plays  are usually people playing the game horribly on purpose to get laughs and views.
Now with grandeur.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »
The only exception I can think of is Game Grumps.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 09:12:28 PM »
Also Chuggaaconroy. He mainly does actual walkthroughs with funny commentary. Though of course, funny is subjective.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

Print