Print

Author Topic: ...PS2? ...Xbox? ...GameCube? Which one should I buy?  (Read 12736 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: September 10, 2002, 06:18:12 AM »
I am having such a hard time deciding which new system to buy for my birthday (December 18). I would love to have a GameCube because it is pure Nintendo magic (plus Super Mario Sunshine is an AWESOME game). On the other hand, Xbox looks promising because it is already getting a rather large fanbase that had been rather mute at the time of the system's launch - November of 2001. Also the fact that it is the most powerful console ever created, and Microsoft has huge potential for it's future success.

PS2...it came, it shook the gaming world, now it needs to go. PS2 is a piece of garbage compared to GameCube and Xbox. Both the PSOne and PlayStation2 systems were built with extremely outdated technology -  in both proccessing power and graphics capabilities. Can't Sony see that the power of the PS2 is diminishing? They've even gone the extra step to add an Ethernet/modem adapter, which obviously will not tap into the world of online gaming the way Microsoft's Xbox Live will. Xbox Live is already recieving lots of support from third party companies who are developing exclusive games for the online service (Sega NFL 2K3, for instance) - Microsoft has claimed that over 50 games are being developed for the service as of this holiday season, and a total of over 200 games will be released for the Xbox by this holiday season... that is a huge advantage for Microsoft, and may even thrust them into second place along with Nintendo.

Nintendo's GameCube has already proven to be a success and a worthy competitor in the videogame market. It's really the games made by Nintendo themselves that are bringing out the glory of Nintendo's newest console. With the release of Super Mario Sunshine just last week, Nintendo is really showing what their next-generation system is capable of in terms of bringing out the best in games. With the impending releases of StarFox Adventures, Animal Crossing, and Metroid Prime on the way, the future for Nintendo's newest console just seems to be getting better! And once The Legend of Zelda is released...one can only imagine the sheer chaos that will erupt when millions of Nintendo fanboys (like us) cram the stores across America and Japan, eager to get their grimy hands on Shigeru Miyamoto's latest masterpiece...

Well, I guess I answered my own question. If you have any disputing/agreeing opinions, please post them here...

---

Nintendo is like a religion to me, and Shigeru Miyamoto is the God of it.

A world without Nintendo is a world without videogames.

Congratulation''s Nintendo, for over 25 years of videogame excellence!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 02:06:02 PM »
Uh?
Dude, your names Mario Maniac!
I think you've just answered your own question on which console to buy!

www.songbirdocarina.com

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 04:07:38 PM »
"PS2...it came, it shook the gaming world, now it needs to go. PS2 is a piece of garbage compared to GameCube and Xbox. Both the PSOne and PlayStation2 systems were built with extremely outdated technology - in both proccessing power and graphics capabilities."

I take that as an insult, as I own a PS2.

Mario, Mario, Mario! What happened to Mr. Andretti?

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 07:11:02 PM »
well i dont think PS2 is crap but i do think the cube is better, but PS2 is certainly second on my list!
"Tetris: the movie"
Yeah, I can see that. A guy throwing bricks out of a window for 2 hours.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2002, 10:47:33 PM »
MadMario, it doesn't really matter if you take it as an insult, the PS2 is garbage anyway.
Mario Maniac: Buy the one that comes first in alphabetical order! :-D
I don't really care for XBox, one, because they want all the business, similar to Sony's strategy, and two, it's not as good as GameCube, for multiple reasons.
But have you heard the sheer insolence of Sony's next campaign? They say their stupid "PS3" is going to be 1000 times more powerful than any current system. That's impossible! 1000 times more powerful than the ENIAC, maybe... but all they can make next is a 256-bit system! Unless they plan on making a 128,000-bit system... in that case it would come out around the year 2158, at the earliest...
Nintendo all the way!

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2002, 07:05:25 AM »

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 9/11/2002 6:47:36 AM
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2002, 07:08:30 AM »
There will not be a PS3. Sony is planning on making an adapter that will boost the PS2's proccessing speed and graphics up to the standards of GameCube technology.

The PS2 modem adapter is here! Microsoft's Xbox has a better advantage in online gaming because the system has all the online components built right in! For the PS2, you need to buy a seperate adapter just to play online games - a waste of money if you ask me!

I have never liked PS2 anyway because it is too overrated and the system seems very cheap and poorly made.

Xbox seems good because I like the controller (along with the Gamecube controller - that's very good too) MUCH better than PS2's stupid Dual Shock - the buttons on the Dual Shock are cheap and they break easily, much like the PlayStation2 system itself! The only games I played on Xbox so far were Halo and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 - both of which were decent games.

Speaking of Xbox games...
Microsoft is making a Mario 64 style game called Binx the Timesweeper. The coolest feature about this game is that you get to control time, which greatly effects the gameplay - this I believe is considered the greatest innovation in videogames since 3D gaming! And guess what, the main character Blinx uses a vaccum similar to the one Luigi used in Luigi's Mansion! Microsoft IS copying Nintendo after all!

I have good hopes for the Xbox, and I hope it will lead away the all the PS2 hype that is currently circulating around. Xbox AND GameCube will be the consoles I buy this holiday season...
---

By the way, PS2's proccessor is outdated (and sloooooooow) compared to GameCube and Xbox. That's why Sony is planning on making the upgrade adapter for it.

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 9/11/2002 7:04:45 AM

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2002, 07:12:01 AM »
By the way, why do you guys have a grudge against the Xbox anyway? It is a good system with very good potential. Microsoft is spending over $500 MILLION on promoting the system, that's enough proof that the system is worth the purchase of $200 - that and the proccessing power simply blows the doors of PS2 hardware!
---

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2002, 03:26:03 PM »
Gates blew 500 million, thats why it sucks!
Bill Gates wasted his m0ney~$

The X-box controller doubles as an anchor for seaworthy vehicles!

www.songbirdocarina.com

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2002, 03:32:20 PM »
Well, in my ever-so-humble opinion, I'd go with the gamecube, only because the line up of games coming out is good enough to make ANY hardcore nintendo fan cream themselves. I mean, PS2 is just.. well.. old. XBOX, well, I do think that Munch's Oddysee is an amazing game, but it's just so big, and.. big, bulky and ugly, the controllers are big and... nast and.. big. I'd stick with the Gamecube, but hey, don't whatever you want man.

I think the worst pain that ANYone went through would be the educational pain that Luigi went through in Mario Is Missing.
I think the worst pain that ANYone went through would be the educational pain that Luigi went through in Mario Is Missing.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2002, 04:20:51 PM »
You guys are missing one feature on PS2 that GameCube and Xbox will NEVER have: Pressure Sensitive Buttons.

Xbox may have the analog triggers of the DC controller, but does it have anything else pressure sensitive? NNNOOOOO! Does PS2? YES! Everything except the L3 and R3 buttons!

Also, graphics don't matter! Gameplay matters! Final Fantasy has loads of gameplay! MGS2 has tons of gameplay! DW3... if you said this game doesn't have gameplay, you're DEAD WRONG!

Project Gotham Racing (Xbox) sucks! GT3 (PS2) rules!

Xbox can't handle MGS2, because there are many things that require a reading of pressure, such as throw length, aiming an AK or M4, telling a guy to "Freeze!" with an M9 and not put him to sleep by mistake...

And don't say that "They could just set those buttons to the triggers." because they can't! You have Weapon/Item Select, First Person View, whatever the hell L1 does, and peeking around a corner. GameCube could do this (assuming L1 does absoulutely nothing), but they'd have to go back to "throw strength depends on how long button is held" and you wouldn't be able to aim an AK or M4 without firing; thus wasting ammo and drawing attention to you (very bad thing).

Oh, I guess that means it couldn't be on GameCube, either, since some situations require aiming without firing.

Mario, Mario, Mario! What happened to Mr. Andretti?

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2002, 05:33:35 PM »
GameCube and X-box both also have pressure sensitive buttons!

www.songbirdocarina.com

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2002, 05:34:24 PM »
Actually, MadMario, in some cases the buttons are pressure sensitive for the Gamecube. In the game Monkey Ball, when playing Monkey Bowling, the lighter you hit the R button, the easier the bowling ball will roll. BOOOYAH!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2002, 08:51:21 PM »
It's just that Sony wants you to think their stuff is better. It's not. Sony gets tons of errors, plus it's old and outdated. And it will never be 1000 times better. (I heard that idiotic hype on Fox News Channel.) Xbox is not as bad, but its controller IS big and heavy enough to be an anchor, and it's just as uncomfortable, not to mention that it overheats and scratches its own discs.

Tony Hawk 3 is also on GameCube, and Halo is an FPS, making it automatically bad (with the possible exception of Metroid Prime), and so that voids the whole argument for Xbox.

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 9/11/2002 7:55:13 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2002, 09:43:50 PM »
I'd go withe GC for three reasons 1,Its the cheapest of the three 2,It has Turok Evelution and mario sunshine 3,I already own a DVD player.

Print