Print

Author Topic: Can the Xbox survivie?  (Read 2121 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: October 28, 2002, 01:19:21 PM »
One simple question -  can the Xbox survive in this highly competitive videogame world? In my opinion, I believe it was bad timing for Microsoft to release the Xbox. I have multiple reasons why I doubt the Xbox will survive past the 2003 summer...

1. LAUNCH/SALES
Sure the Xbox had a decent launch in the U.S. -  but it is NOT selling very well outside the U.S. (especially Japan). Japanese gamers just don't trust an American company like Microsoft tinkering with their video game pride! Besides, PlayStation 2 and GameCube are selling very well in both Japan and the U.S. - both Nintendo and Sony have strong support in Japan due to their good reputations...

2. 3rd-PARTY SUPPORT
GameCube and (obviously) PlayStation 2 are reciving much more 3rd-party support than Xbox. Top companies like Namco, Capcom, and Square are lending their talents to developing for the GameCube and PlayStation 2. The only true 3rd-party support the Xbox is recieving is from SEGA and Tecmo (known for it's Dead or Alive fighting series) - though it is still a very SMALL margin compared with PlayStation 2 and GameCube's 3rd-party support.

3. INNOVATION/TECHNOLOGICAL ACHIEVEMENTS
Microsoft is not known very much for technology and innovation - that's Sony and Nintendo's specialties! Microsoft is still testing out the many bugs of their first console, so they will have time for improvement. The only main thing that separates the Xbox from the other consoles besides graphics and processing power is the built-in hard drive - but now Sony has one for the PS2, so Microsoft doesn't have anything to brag about anymore...

4. GAME VARIETY
Both Sony and Nintendo have all of the main generes covered: platform, action, RPG, fighting, so they have a huge advantage over Microsoft. Microsoft is mainly focusing on fighting, action, and sports games...not much variety there!

There are many more reasons why I (and many other people) believe the Xbox will fail very soon. The main reason is due to the lack of 3rd-party support and weak sales outside the U.S.

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 10/28/2002 11:26:21 AM
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 01:53:00 PM »
One simple question, one simple answer! No:D

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 01:15:46 AM »
Of course the Xbox will bomb.
Hey, if it gives Nintendo more of a chance to take the lead, then I'm all for it.

But seriously, Mario Maniac, is this like all you think about??

Yeah, it`s me, that gremlin that does stuff while you`re not looking. Eeh hee hee hee heeeee!
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 06:29:30 AM »
No, I also think about the huge amounts of success Nintendo and Sony have had with their gaming systems in Japan as well as the U.S.

Nintendo is the best videogame/console company! Period.
Sony is at a close second, simply because of the huge global success the PlayStation systems have had...
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 01:29:59 AM »
Success, yes.
Good games, no.
Reason, unknown.

Yeah, it`s me, that gremlin that does stuff while you`re not looking. Eeh hee hee hee heeeee!
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 01:56:41 AM »
The X-Box will not survive. Period.

Mom:Honey, what is that loud sound? Me:Uh, nothing, Mom! *goes back to smashing X-Box*
Deezer was here.

Print