Print

Author Topic: Classic Nintendo or modern Nintendo?  (Read 6183 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: December 10, 2002, 08:13:14 AM »
Which do you prefer, the more traditional 2D sidescrolling Nintendo games, or the more updated 3D platforming adventures?

I personally love the new 3D games that Nintendo has made for N64 and GameCube. But I still think that they could update the classic 2D games for the 'Cube as well...
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 05:48:01 PM »
i have a ton of childhood memories of the good old days of Mario. I still love today's stuff, but I have a strong attachment to the old games.

It''s-a me, Mario !
It''s-a me, Mario !

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 05:52:25 PM »
From my experience, 2-D and 3-D games each have their advantages and disadvantages...

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 07:05:05 PM »
Huh he speaks. Well anyway I love the 2-D and 3-D Mario games equally but I like 3-D games better than 2-D ones but 2-D still kicks it. One game that is only good in 2-D form is Castlevania.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 07:12:03 PM »
I like both.  I would have liked to see some 2d subworlds in Mario Sunshine.  I would like to see a new 2d adventure as well.  I think they should combine all the suits and ice blocks from smb3 with the vegetable picking and postion throwing of smb2 and add yoshi with smas/smw style graphics.  I was trying to make a game like this, but found that it is much harder to perfectly emulate mario and companies moves then to just make a totally new game.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 11:38:04 PM »
Sounds like a difficult endeavor.
Anyway, as for me, I find that I like the 2D artwork better than the 3D artwork, but then the 2D sprites are nothing compared with the 3D models. Anyway, I like all the classic 2D games but the games that have successfully evolved into 3D stuff tend to be more fun at present, mainly because I've played the 2D stuff to DEATH. There are a few things that are better on 2D systems (i. e. Mega Man) but then there's Mario and Zelda and Metroid and stuff that is good in both dimensions. Ultimately, though, I'd have to say that I love 2D and 3D stuff equally, because Star Fox rules all. (SFA, that is... SF64's ok, but it's still 3D, so my point is lost.) Anyway, I have found that there's a lot more worthless stuff in 3D, though.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2002, 12:52:48 AM »
The new 3-D games are cool in a lotta ways but somehow I find myself longing for some new sidescrollers.  I wish Nintendo would develop a brand-new 2-D Mario platform game for the GBA.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2002, 12:55:44 AM »
Your sentiments are echoed throughout the halls of Mariodom.

Heh... looks like I've been reading a little too much Stan Lee...
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2002, 01:13:24 AM »
It would depend on the mood I am in as to which dimensions I choose.  I like them both equally though. Maybe that is why I like Paper Mario so much.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2002, 06:29:25 AM »
Exactly! Paper Mario combines 2D sprites with 3D backgrounds! Good point!

In my opinion, Paper Mario is the "rebirth" of classic sidescrolling Mario games! Good job Nintendo! Hopefully, they'll make more games like this in the future...

---

Nintendo is like a religion to me, and Shigeru Miyamoto is the God of it.

A world without Nintendo is a world without videogames.

Congratulation''s Nintendo, for over 25 years of videogame excellence!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2002, 11:12:55 PM »
Hmm... that's true. You know what would be really cool, is if they did a whole game like the Smash Bros. Melee Mushroom Kingdom Adventure Mode stage!

"Thus has it ever been! Thus shall it ever be!"
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2002, 08:26:18 PM »
I dunno, 2-D sidescrollers on 3-D platforms tend to disappoint people. Just look at Kirby 64 and Yoshi's Story, the main complaints for those is that you can't explore the purdy 3-D environment. I dunno, I think 2-D and 3-D are both fun in their own ways, and it's super-hard to effectively blend them.

"Like the moon over
 the day, my genius and brawn
 are lost on these fools."
       -Bowser, SMRPG

Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?
Sometimes I dream about being carried off by a giant squirrel...Does that make me a nut?

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2002, 10:33:48 PM »
I like the 2d games better. As for making a game, I think it will be difficult to put in the fire and hammer suits into my game, but making the pick-up-and-throw part was very hard, and I was amazed when I finally got it done. I have no idea how they made such a perfect engine of that for Doki Doki Panic/SMB2 in only assembly!
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2002, 05:18:40 PM »
Im sick of Nintendo grabbing old 2-D Mario games revamping them and slapping them on the GBA. I have a SNES I can go pick up all of the old Mario games at a pawnshop for $5 a piece whenever I want. I didnt buy the GBA to get screwed up classics at outrageous prices! By screwed up I mean if I want a classic Mario game I want crappy graphics and electronic bleep bloop music and sound! Not an upgraded version. I hope Nintendo starts making new Mario games for the GBA.

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2002, 07:02:32 PM »
You said it, Chupperson! That would be sooo awesome! Remake SMB with new bonus levels just like that...

I am FLUDD, the Flash Liquidizing Ultra Dousing Device. I hope to be of assistance.

Sue successfull. I''d be looking forward to a lot of Japanese text in video games since their main translator quit for letting me push them around. Oh well, I could hire my own translator now!
I am FLUDD, the Flash Liquidizing Ultra Dousing Device. I hope to be of assistance.

Sue successfull. I''d be looking forward to a lot of Japanese text in video games since their main translator quit for letting me push them around. Oh well, I could hire my own translator now!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2002, 12:33:01 AM »
What about a total remake of SMAS... done in 3D! That would be cool!
And Ooze, I agree that you can get the old games for the old systems and that's fine, but I like having the SMA games because I like to be able to take classic Mario stuff with me, rather than having to leave it at hope, and somewhere later, sitting somewhere for hours, having nothing to do. Although I do agree that they should make a new GBA Mario game.

That was a joke.

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2002, 10:21:30 PM »
I like the idea of old Mario games being converted to GBA, though I think they changed the games a bit too drastically and while I personally don't really mind the voices, I think they should've at least had the option of turning them off.

But yeah, words can't express how much I'd love a brand-new Mario game for the GBA.  Although I suppose the high expectations for the game would be tough to live up to, Nintendo would probably rather focus on Mario 128 and not have to worry about making the best sidescroller ever.

However I hope Nintendo eventually releases a new Super Mario All-Stars game for the GCN.  It should at least have SMB1, both SMB2's, SMB3, SMW, and SMW2:YI.  It would make sense to put SMK on there too, and maybe even SMRPG if Square allows it.  Also I think the game should have new enhanced versions of the games but also have the option of playing them in their original 8 or 16-bit forms.  And voices should be added to the games but there should be the option of turning them off.  Also wouldn't mind seeing the lost levels of SMB3 added to the game, along with some brand-new levels, as Worlds A-D.  That would be cool, but I guess that's asking for too much.  OK, I'll shut up now.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2002, 12:10:37 AM »
Other than SMB2, I can't think of a way they've drastically changed the SMAs.
And in my opinion, SMA is WAY better than SMB2 (USA).

That was a joke.

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2003, 09:38:12 PM »
I am board so I will revive this topic. MuHaHaHaHaHa, MuHaHaHaha!!!

Nintendo has already made a 3-D side-scroller:Wario World.

Mom:Honey, what is that loud sound? Me:Uh, nothing, Mom! *goes back to smashing X-Box*
Deezer was here.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2003, 03:58:07 AM »
...Though they hadn't made it back when this topic was made.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2003, 06:45:44 AM »
There is a new Mario game for the GBA called "Mario and Luigi". It is a platformer with RPG elements, like turn-based battles and leveling up. You control Mario and Luigi at the same time, but you can switch between characters for enhanced gameplay, like solving puzzles. Kind of like the character-swapping in Donkey Kong Country.

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don''t like Nintendo obviously don''t like video games.

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 7/31/2003 5:46:37 AM

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2003, 04:48:48 PM »
Speaking of DK, I wish they would make a new side scroller! No offense, I didn't like DK 64 at all.
 n/a

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2003, 05:15:22 PM »
I don't like D.K. period.

Hamster Sauce!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2003, 08:55:29 PM »
Getting back to the topic. I dont think there are enough truely 3d Mario games to judge which is better. But if i had to choose the 2D games are better so far.

Time slowed and Reality bent.
But on and on the Eggman went.

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2003, 06:18:28 PM »
i love both but they get a tie

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2003, 09:03:50 PM »
Yay!

-----------------------------
Mario likes to dance in his backwards pants! Yay!
-----------------------------
Mario likes to dance in his backwards pants! Yay!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2003, 02:13:26 PM »
You know what? I thought of a REALLY relevant quote...  I'm now changing my sig to it...

--------------------
Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Print