Print

Author Topic: Sony's promises with the PS2...  (Read 1959 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: March 18, 2003, 12:54:50 PM »
Why does Sony make their PlayStation systems so technically inferior compared to their other technology achievments? Let me give you an example: When the PlayStation 2 launched, there was a "parts shortage" that severely impacted the amount of PS2s that would be shipped worldwide. Because of this, Sony had to cut the initial amount of shipments in half (down to 500,000 in the U.S.). Most of the systems that had shipped were defected in some way.

Also, at the PS2's launch, there was a severe lack of good-quality games. It took about a full year for the PS2 to gain momentum and become the worldwide industry leader it is today! The reason: Grand Theft Auto 3, Gran Turismo 3, the list goes on. Most of these high-quality games weren't released until the second year of the PS2's life.

Also, it took Sony over 2 years for them to finally release the Network Adapter! Many people were wondering when (if ever) the PS2 would go online. But many of their expectations weren't answered immediately; the Network Adapter is strictly for GAMES only - none of the high-tech computer gadgetry that many people were anticipating...

Also, Sony kept the simplistic design of the PlayStation 1, failing to add 4 controller ports for multiplayer gaming! Instead, Sony insisted that people buy an extra device called a "Multitap" that has 4 controller ports built in, in order to play multiplayer games... 2 player games are so old now! Nintendo invented 4 player gaming with the N64; why didn't Sony add 4 controller ports in the PS2?

Another thing, what happened to the Hard Disk Drive that Sony had promised a year ago? Is this to become another one of those unreleased gadgets that could have had huge potential? Let's hope not...

If Sony truly wants to conquer the gaming world, then they shouldn't keep promising things before they have a finalized idea of what to expect. Nintendo did this same thing with the N64 - promising the 64 Disk Drive to be the next best thing in gaming since the analog stick, but they chickened out and never released the 64 Disk Drive outside of Japan...

Nintendo has learned from their past mistakes (with the N64) and has focused on correcting them with their GameCube. Their current strategies seem to be working, though Nintendo is still a bit skeptical about online gaming... Nintendo has another advantage over Sony - they have good customer support. Nintendo has answered gamer's please for a lighted-screen in their Game Boy, and created the Game Boy Advance SP. In addition to a lighted screen, the GBA-SP has a rechargeable battery (No more wasting your money on AA batteries!), and a new compact design where the screen folds down to protect the unit from dust and scratches!

Sony should follow in the footsteps of Nintendo. They should study Nintendo's current strategies and try to build better respect from their customers. In other words...Sony should correct their mistakes and try not to mess up in the future!

Here's an idea, Sony should redesign the PS2 and make it have slightly updated technology, and 4 controller ports built in.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 11:46:02 PM »
No, here's an idea. Sony should not follow Nintendo in any way and mail fiserably.
Die, Sony! Die!

I fear the monkey in your soul.
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 08:30:20 AM »
What is so bad about Sony's PlayStation? They revolutionized the gaming industry with CD-ROM technology (PS1) and were the first company to incorporate DVD-ROM technology into a video game system (PS2)!

Nintendo used Panasonic's revolutionary mini-DVD technology as the format for their game media...

So who had the better idea? Sony or Nintendo?
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 09:30:21 PM »
Nintendo, because they had both ideas.

That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2003, 09:33:32 PM »
(Meaning CD-ROMs and Mini DVD-ROMs.)
Plus, the GCN discs aren't even Mini DVD-ROMs. They're something else entirely.
What's so bad about it is that PSX doesn't deserve to be so popular because it's a crummy system. PSX and PS2.

That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2003, 01:40:08 PM »
I guess...crummy but extremely popular and successful!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2003, 09:29:41 PM »
For how I feel about that, read Steve's posts on "underserving popularity."

That was a joke.

Print