Print

Author Topic: Let's design the best Mario game ever.  (Read 12830 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: April 14, 2003, 07:18:10 PM »
Post your idea's for or from the best Mario game.  In previous games, what items, levels, characters, abilities, music, graphic, etc. should be in the next game.  Also let talk about plot, new items and devices, etc.  Since we seem to know more about Mario then even Nintendo seems to lets design the best Mario game ever.  Or at least discuss what it would be like.

------------------------------

"I believe that with this game you''''ll be able to feel the "newness" that was missing from Mario Sunshine."

- Shigeru Miyamoto on Super Mario 128
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 07:25:09 PM »
It should have the original theme from Super Mario Bros. I love that song. It could have new 3D models of stuff from SMB. And Bowser makes and army of mutant Koopas. Also bowser could be bigger and much scarier!

Plastics are the meaning of life.
If the world goes into a great hunger, we can eat all our old sandels.

"I''m sorry, but our princess is in another castle."
"Yeah like you''ve said that a million times Toad! Hey, how do you keep getting to the next castle so fast?"
"Through the powers of the warp zone."

"Yeah like you''ve said that a million times Toad! Hey, how do you keep getting to the next castle so fast?"

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 08:30:41 PM »
I agree.

NEXT...

"I believe that with this game you''''ll be able to feel the "newness" that was missing from Mario Sunshine."

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 08:46:04 PM »
Yoshi's Island meets the Lost Levels!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

(Actually, I did draw (Rather poorly, I may add) 2 VERY difficult YI levels. I mean, VERY hard. Secret 5 hard, not Extra 5 hard)

Seriously though... I personally think it should be an RPG, done similarly to the style of SMRPG ... but with enhanced platform capabilities. As in, SMRPG meets SM64 or SMS. You can lose HP on the main field by falling too far from a cliff, or falling on spikes, for example. Kind of like falling into the lava in PM, but more drastic.

Of course, there'd be enemies, and you'd fight them RPG style.

As for other party members... Make them original characters! You know.... like Geno or something... only not Geno. You understand where I'm trying to go with that comment? Like the supporting characters in PM. All those are original.

Only you'd have to have either 3 or 4 characters fighting at once.... not 2.

As for a plot.... yes... I'll come up with something .... later ... *runs*

Maybe something where the princess gets caputered by Bowser for the umteenth time... and then something else happens.

Oh wait, that's too much like SMRPG. Never mind. I'll get back to you on plot.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 09:22:45 PM »
 Indeed, I'm with Steve on this one.

That is, as long as they got Squaresoft to do it again. I won't bad-mouth Paper Mario, as I know so many people here like it, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but it wasn't for me, I guess.

But yeah, Project Mario RPG - Reborn would be to my liking. And no, I wasn't calling the game that.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 10:46:29 PM »
I agree with Steve as well. On all points.

Let's see, I think it should have a multitude of playable characters, such as
Mario
Luigi
Toad
Wooster
Peach
Various Yoshis (Like, every color from YI and SMS)
E. Gadd
And lots of original characters too.
I think using Bowser again wouldn't seem cool the way it was in SMRPG.

It would be more free-roaming than SMRPG or PM and the scenery/playfield would be more interactive.
Also, I think it would be cool to have parts that were classic platforming as opposed to straight RPG battles, possibly similar to the first strike system in PM.

You can be silent and let the world think you are a fool, or you can open your mouth and remove all doubt.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 05:36:11 PM »
I agree with the RPG style but I dont like RPG style battling. It should be so you can choose "RPG style" or "free roaming" battling. Also Bowser kids or whatever they're called should be back. And it should be on discs and have like 4 discs lingth. Like Final Fantasy 9. And after you collect everthing, a whole new adventure should be unlocked.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 05:57:17 PM »
You mean the Koopa Kids?

Anyway in a game I want to roam feely so, I want kinda SM64ish but you can use more attacks like use combos.

Don''t argue with an idiot. They will take you to their level and beat you with experience.
Don''t argue with an idiot. They will take you to their level and beat you with experience.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2003, 07:42:31 PM »
You know, I have a RPG maker.  Everything your saying is possible for me to fit together!  Just suggest some ideas, maybe some maps, and leave everything up to me!

Everybody has the right to stupidity, but you''re abusing the privilage.
Yoshi likes to dance in his backwards saddle!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2003, 07:57:29 PM »
 There are plenty of RPG makers available. I've got RPG Maker 2K, I think it is. The one Don Miguel had released quite some time ago.

You can do some pretty interesting stuff with them, but some of them take some real coaxing to get to do what you want. Take the battle system for example. It's in a completely Dragon Warrior style. No side-views, well, I shouldn't say that, for you can create a side-view, but it takes a tremendious effort.

If you are to attempt to make such a game, good luck with it.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2003, 08:05:34 PM »
For now let's just brainstorm.  For example, what are your favorite enemies, bosses, characters, suits, abilities, music, games, levels, etc.

I was think the overworld could be 3d and combine features from MarioRPG, PaperMario, Mario64, and Mario Sunshine.  The idividual underworld levels could be 2d like SMB 1,2,3, Lost Levels, SMW, YI.  Also I think it would be cool to collect items and suits from the over world to use in the sub/under world levels.  How about if, the items and suits could be stored in Mario's house like items in Animal Crossing.

Edited by - Luigison on 4/15/2003 7:13:27 PM

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2003, 08:15:07 PM »
Wow! It seems like we all have similar ideas for the perfect Mario game. I love the RPG style, except the battles get annoying sometimes. I think if they incorporate RPG battle styles, they should do something like Bump Attack automatically--once the enemy is weaker than you, you won't have to beat them RPG style.
Mushrooms R Us has a good idea--chose b/w which style you prefer.

I agree w/ CW; the game should be more interactive. Kinda like being able to mess with stuff like in Luigi's Mansion and SMS--but even more so. Oh, and TONS of characters you can talk to.

An interesting idea would be that the action's similar to DK64--you can switch off b/w characters at different points, and each would have to complete certain tasks. This would also be AWESOME to do on a 4-player mode. Every time you switched characters, a different player would control that character. Kinda like in SMB, SMB3, and SMW where Mario'd do one level, then Luigi'd do the next, and so forth.

I say the perfect game would be a cross b/w action/platform, adventure, and RPG.
Now I'm getting all hyped up!  :)

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2003, 11:00:35 PM »
Get the unshavens back!(lvl 5-4 yoshis island)& all the enemies from Yoshis island,like those fat shy guys! theyre cool!
Have DK help them out this time!

Im all screwed up.No,my life hasnt gone wrong,i''ve just held a screw attack item for more than 30 seconds!
Find your inner monkey.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2003, 11:32:04 PM »
Enemies
All the classic NES & SNES enemies (from SMB, SMB3, SMW, & YI)

Bosses
New ones

Characters
[stated above]

Suits
Cape, Raccoon Suit, Wing Cap, Tanooki Suit, Hammer Bros. Suit, Metal Cap, Fire Suit (Haven't been Fiery Mario in QUITE a while), Poltergust 3000 and FLUDD for specific levels

Abilities
Smash Bros. type moves, appropriate moves from SSBM and SMS, characters' physics behave typically

Music
Master remixes of classic themes, plus new stuff

BRAINSTORM:
REAL-TIME RPG BATTLES! OH YEAH! Smash Bros. Stamina Mode style!

You can be silent and let the world think you are a fool, or you can open your mouth and remove all doubt.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2003, 06:28:08 AM »
I have RM2k, so I can't do the real-time battle thing.  However, I can make day and night and different monsters come out at different times.

Everybody has the right to stupidity, but you''re abusing the privilage.
Yoshi likes to dance in his backwards saddle!

Print