Print

Author Topic: Top Ten Reason Why The DS Beats the Pants off PSP  (Read 9143 times)

« on: April 18, 2005, 07:58:26 PM »
1. Quality of recycled games. While Sony has recycled games with worse graphics (i.e. NFL Street 2) Nintendo has recycled games with more features, better graphics, and more replay value (i.e. Super Mario 64 DS)
2. Innovation. While Sony makes a souped-up GameBoy, Nintendo makes a completely new kind of system with all new kinds of gameplay. Have you ever seen anything like Yoshi's Touch and Go? Yeah. I didn't think so.
3. Battery life. You guys can have less than 4 hours per charge. On my cross-country airplane trips, I wouldn't want my PSP going dead on me! DS solves that problem.
4. Touch screen. We get an all-new kind of gaming while you're wiping the floor w/ your stupid control nub. How are you even gonna type? We just have to draw letters when we chat.
5. Screen. Sure, your screen is bigger, and sure, it has better graphics, but has the DS been reported to have dead pixels, air bubbles, and dust lodged inside the screen? I don't think so.
6. Scratches. While our DSes fold up so as not to scratch the screen, you are forced to stick on protective screens and pray that your keys won't scrape against it in your pocket.
7. Controls. We can use our touch screen in infinite ways, such as extra buttons, but you guys are stuck with the buttons you got. That stinks.
8. Extra space. We have a GBA slot in our DS, so in case Nintendo ever decides to come out with a rumble pack, camera, etc. we're good to go with nothing sticking out. I don't see any space for YOU guys to stick a rumble pack.
9. GBA games. We can have two games on our DS at the same time. Who's up for a marathon of Twisted and Touched! WarioWare? I am!
10. We got Mario on our side. 'Nuff said.

Agree, disagree, cheese. Whatever.

If a tree falls in the woods, do all the others laugh at it?
BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 08:25:18 PM »
AAH NOT ANOTHER POINTLESS TOPIC

"...has the DS been reported to have dead pixels, air bubbles, and dust lodged inside the screen? I don't think so."

Dead pixels at least, yes.

"Don’t look into car headlights and freeze, because you might get run over or shot."
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 08:26:23 PM »
Excellent job, Boomstix. 92% accurate, 100% logical.

Edited by - Suffix on 4/18/2005 7:30:47 PM

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 08:46:28 PM »
I'm now somewhat sensitive about these kinds of topics, but that's really my problem. Otherwise, those points are better than than the ones I quoted from NP in my topic. Nice job, dude.

Oh, and I love the closing line: "Agree, disagree, cheese. Whatever." *protrudes right thumb upward from closed fist*

"He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep for the sake of what he can never lose."

The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 11:09:44 PM »
Ah, I suppose it was only a matter of time.

"1. Quality of recycled games. While Sony has recycled games with worse graphics (i.e. NFL Street 2) Nintendo has recycled games with more features, better graphics, and more replay value (i.e. Super Mario 64 DS)"

Fair enough, I suppose. However, replay value is a personal opinion, but I do suppose you have a point, as far as remakes are concerned. (Though, the Tales of Eternia remake does prove to be promising).

"2. Innovation. While Sony makes a souped-up GameBoy, Nintendo makes a completely new kind of system with all new kinds of gameplay. Have you ever seen anything like Yoshi's Touch and Go? Yeah. I didn't think so."

Also a good point. The DS inarguably has more in the way of imaginative gaming, and innovation to the hand-held industry. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would challenge that.

"3. Battery life. You guys can have less than 4 hours per charge. On my cross-country airplane trips, I wouldn't want my PSP going dead on me! DS solves that problem."

Once more, another valid point. The PSP's battery life, whilst dependant on which features you have running at the time, is actually clocked to around 6 hours for single player gaming. While not wonderful, it's not horrible. But the DS's 12+ hours is superior, indeed.

"4. Touch screen. We get an all-new kind of gaming while you're wiping the floor w/ your stupid control nub. How are you even gonna type? We just have to draw letters when we chat."

Heh, funny you should mention that. As I recall, there's a keyboard adaptor coming out for the PSP, which takes care of the typing issue. Regardless though, the PSP does not have a touch screen. Well played.

"5. Screen. Sure, your screen is bigger, and sure, it has better graphics, but has the DS been reported to have dead pixels, air bubbles, and dust lodged inside the screen? I don't think so."

Dead pixels, yes. The other two, I hadn't heard of from either system. It is well known that both the DS and PSP were plagued with dead pixels, though both companies offered refunds and replacements.

"6. Scratches. While our DSes fold up so as not to scratch the screen, you are forced to stick on protective screens and pray that your keys won't scrape against it in your pocket."

True, but the PSP does come packaged with a protective case. Though it's certainly true the DS is better protected in this region.

"7. Controls. We can use our touch screen in infinite ways, such as extra buttons, but you guys are stuck with the buttons you got. That stinks."

However, the joystick and the arrangement of buttons (Save the square button), are all well done. In fact, it's unfortunate, but I don't think we've seen the true realization of the touch screen as of yet. It's a shame, but as things stand now, I don't see the touch screen as a control mechanism giving the DS a one-up.

"8. Extra space. We have a GBA slot in our DS, so in case Nintendo ever decides to come out with a rumble pack, camera, etc. we're good to go with nothing sticking out. I don't see any space for YOU guys to stick a rumble pack."

I do believe the PSP has different ports for different things. Though I cannot offer specifics without doing some research, I've read that, as mentioned earlier, that the PSP is coming out with a keyboard adaptor and a camera as well.

"9. GBA games. We can have two games on our DS at the same time. Who's up for a marathon of Twisted and Touched! WarioWare? I am!"

Yep, the DS can play GBA games, certainly a nice feature for those without a GBA.

"10. We got Mario on our side. 'Nuff said."

Fair enough. Though not a solid argument by any means.

That being said, this is a pretty biased argument. Both systems have their upsides and their downsides, of which I will outline as I see them here. You're free to disagree if you wish, but, as always, I don't think we'll see much other support for the opposition here.

Nintendo DS
+/- A machine with the sole purpose of gaming.
+ Has two screens available for new unique options for gameplay.
+ Has some very impressive upcoming titles:, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Advance Wars, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Four Swords, Animal Crossing, and Final Fantasy III.
+ Impressive Battery life (Superior to the PSP).
+ Allows use with GBA games.
+ Will soon have online/wi-fi support.
+ $150 dollars.
+ Stereo Sound.
- Has the graphic capability just better than a N64
- Doesn't have many good games out now.
- D-pad only.
- Buttons are relatively small.
- Smaller screens

Sony PSP
+/-  A machine with capabilities other than gaming: Surfing the net/listening to music/ect..
+ Has some highly anticipated games. Ex: Lumines
+ Larger buttons, and analog support. (Save that square button)
+ Graphic capabilities close to a PS2.
+ Large, impressive screen.
+ UMDs hold a lot of data.
+ Memory Sticks can hold a lot of data, not only used for games.
+ Online capabilities
+ Stereo Sound
- Less durable than the DS.
- Required use of memory sticks.
- Pretty short Battery Life
- Expensive, priced at approximately $250

It's up to what you're looking for in a system, really.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 11:26:45 PM »
NDS
+ Pictochat
+ Less expensive games
+/- Unofficial homebrew
- No analog

PSP
+ Sleek design
- Load time?
- More expensive games

Edit: - -> + (saving money is always a good thing)

Edited by - Luigison on 4/19/2005 7:19:49 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 03:27:37 PM »
Luigison: Why is "less expensive games" a negative?

Yeah. I'm sorry. Sometimes I wish that our board had friendly Sony and Microsoft users so we could actually have good arguments in this area. The only thing most of us can actually disagree on is things other than Mario and Nintendo.

The real point, I guess, of why I did this is because I'm trying to convince myself that the DS is better than the PSP. I can't help it: I think the PSP is really really cool, and I'm trying to convince myself that I made the right choice when I bought a DS.

BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 04:21:16 PM »
Really cool things do not somehow automatically make for a worthwhile gaming experience. You made the right choice.

Which handheld has the most pixels?

"He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep for the sake of what he can never lose."

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 05:40:11 PM »
Yeah, I like this argument. Great job, boomstix. Although too many can't make a solid one like boomstix can. Remember the reasons from Nintendo Power magazine posted at that "GC beats pants off of XBox/PS2" topic? What crap. That magazine is practically infamous for being nothing but propaganda for their own products.

''I am feeling fat, and sassy!''

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 08:30:17 PM »
I fixed my "negative" mistake.  BTW boomstix, I think your reasons were fair except the the "but" in number 5.  If the PSP were more innovative and/or had Nintendo games like Mario, Wario, etc. I probably would have got one.

I saw in Best Buy today that they were selling PSP movies for $14.99.  I didn't care for any of the titles, but if I did I might be interested in watching one on an airplane if the PSP weren't so expensive.

Are the makers of Lumines making a DS game?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 08:41:42 PM »
This is how I think of these dilemmas:  "DS, PSP:  Pick one."

I have friends that like Nintendo, friends that don't, and friends that don't even have video games.  It really depends on the person.  There should be a topic called "Why Nintendo fans beat the pants off of... Not-Nintendo fans."

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” -Atticus Finch
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 11:54:36 PM »
Black Mage: What?!? Super Smash Bros. is going to come out on the DS?
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 07:39:15 PM »
I don't really even like DS, and I love the PSP. So I might just go find a PlayStation forum instead of this. Or a LedZep one. That would be awesome. I just don't think this is really for me. I'm not saying it's not for you, and I'm not trying to make anyone cry and run off to their mommies, but this really dosen't fit my personality. See ya later. Sept' I might still reply to non-Nintendo related topics here. (Sorry to take up forum space with this crap, but there's not a rule against it, and I know I'm gonna have like 50 negative responses against this one, and I bet 100 bucks that the next post is just going to say "Wow." and then somebody after that will diss this post, and then I'll say "Come on, dude, don't diss on my stuff, and then I'll be like "I'm out of here, yo.")

"You can milk anything with nipples."~Gaylord Focker

Edited by - ledzeppelinrocks on 4/20/2005 6:39:57 PM
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 07:51:03 PM »
Actually, it's nice to see that you realize that you've rubbed some people the wrong way. This doesn't mean that you need to leave, but if you hold views that are contrary to what most everyone else here thinks, then it does make more sense to proclaim your opinions in other places where they will be appreciated. In areas where you feel you can agree or just be polite (which is not to say that you've been rude to everybody), you're still welcome to post here.

Don't feel bad. You're not the only person to have rubbed someone else the wrong way—not even in these forums. I myself have. And when I realize my mistakes and try to avoid them in the future, stuff generally gets a whole lot better. :)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 08:41:43 PM »
ledzeppelinrocks, I respect your opinion.  You like the PSP over the DS.  That's fine.

I don't like the N64 controller.  Overs do.  That's fine.  I don't like Pokemon (yes, I have played a Pokemon game). Over people do.  That's also fine.  I like the DS and you don't.  I like  rock music.  Some don't.  Opinions are simply that.  I repect them all, but disagree with some.

I have offended people here before.  (Recently in "Mario Elimination Round 2: Double Time!")  But I hope I was forgiven I as I forgive others who have intentionally or not offended me.  If not, that's fine.

There's nothing wrong with posting on more than one forum.  I post here most often, but also post on the official Nintendo Nsider forums for more general Nintendo discussion, and on WarpPipe when I want to have a more technical conversation.

Anyway, I welcome you here regardless of a little difference of opinion over a video game system.  If you posted that you liked the PSP on the Nsider forums you would likely get flamed for it, but here I think there are a lot of mature (more than me) people who do and/or will respect you for it.

Edited by - Luigison on 4/20/2005 7:55:47 PM

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 08:58:55 PM »
Well, I forgive you, Luigison! I was just remembering the creator of the Elimination Rounds trying to inform us that he doesn't want us to get unprofessional... Or something to that extent.

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 09:50:08 PM »
Did anyone see my question in this topic?

Sqrt2

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 06:57:14 AM »
What is a dead pixel?

The definition of mixed emotions - Watching your mother-in-law drive off a cliff in your new car.
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 09:47:44 AM »
It's a pixel that doesn't work, leaving a tiny black square on the screen at all time. They are found in all LCD products, because manufacturing techniques aren't perfect.

“Using the Semicolon can sometimes be a tricky proposition from a syntactical perspective!”

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »
Looks like I've got the answer to my own question: The PSP has 130,560 pixels, and the DS has 98,304 of them. That means the PSP has 32,256—or 33%—more pixels than the Dual Screen.

→ Source

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 03:55:53 PM »
Is that counting both screens?

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2005, 09:06:09 AM »
I agree with everything you said but I would like to add somethign to the batter life. my danger zone gets more life then the psp if u know what i mean.
Break me...I dare you.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2005, 11:02:45 AM »
Yes, it is.

256 × 192 × 2 = 98,304

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2005, 05:24:22 PM »
Right then.

Sqrt2

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2005, 06:16:22 AM »
Does anyone know if the wireless adapter works with the DS?

If at first you don''t suceed - destroy any evidence that you tried in the first place.
AA fanboy and proud!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 07:08:35 PM »
Why would you need one? The DS is wireless already. o_O

"Don’t look into car headlights and freeze, because you might get run over or shot."
That was a joke.

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 08:56:40 PM »
Maybe he wants to know if you can use a DS and a GBA for wireless multiplayer GBA gameplay. (I was wondering about this too.)

EDIT: I found out that you can only play GBA games single-player on the DS.

Edited by - smfan1085 on 5/13/2005 10:32:40 PM

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2005, 08:29:19 AM »
"Remember the reasons from Nintendo Power magazine posted at that "GC beats pants off of XBox/PS2" topic? What crap. That magazine is practically infamous for being nothing but propaganda for their own products."

At least they aren't as bad as the Playstation and Xbox magazines.  One peron even wrote in commenting them for not acting like the others.  And the famous reply:

"The PS2 eats small children and the Xbox will give you brain trauma if it falls on your head."

Not sure if that's exact, but close.  At least other than a few times Nintendo doesn't
 brag about the suckyness of others.  Plus the reviews they give are usually honest :).

Anyway, I think that the PSP is little more than eye candy.

Edited by - SuperSonic_Yoshi on 5/15/2005 8:02:04 AM

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2005, 05:43:25 PM »
It's true! PS2s are monsters! I've had very bad experiences with PS2s. Many result in mangled bodys and devoured children. Down with the PS2!

BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!

Yoshi55

• Banned
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2005, 01:33:00 AM »
DS=Dominant system

PSP=Piece-a Stupid Poo

Super Mario Bros. 3 from Nintendo
Now you''re playing with power!
He's back. All you had to do is ask. Super Mario Bros. 3 from Nintendo. Now you're playing with POWER! (SMB3 NES commercial)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 07:12:30 PM »
I saw an ad... about blockbuster's game shop.

PSP Features: Headphones! Light screen! (some other feature I forgot about, but the DS had it too.)

DS features: Touch screen! Fold design! Backward compatible! (the PSP has NONE of these.)
Of course, it's unfair that the DS is backward compatible and the PSP has no predecessors, but the PSP is probably big enough to stuff a PS1/PS2 game inside!

Oh, another thing: You not only have to worry about damaging the discs in the time before you buy a carrying case, but you also have to spend even MORE money on a memory stick! so for every few games you get, which are already too expensive (I mean, so are GBA, DS games), you have to get a stick to play it with!

Got Bird? –Bird Person<(^v^)>
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2005, 07:50:29 PM »
"DS=Dominant system

PSP=Piece-a Stupid Poo"

Comedic gold. If I were you, I'd refrain from posting anymore; go out on top.

As far as memory sticks are concerned, you only really need to buy one of the larger ones and you're set.

As for backwards compatibility, I've read an argument from the PSP side the other day concerning this. As I'm sure most of you know already, there's been emulators released for the PSP. Now you're able to play all of your NES and SNES (Maybe even GBA?) games on the PSP. So, if you want to get technical with your argument, the PSP beats the DS in terms of backwards compatibility. Then again, you have the legal issue, as well, but so long as we're talking strictly in technicality, the DS loses out there.

Don't get me wrong, I own a DS and not a PSP, and if you're struggling to win an argument about that, you simply need to bring up sales figures, where the DS is currently, and for a few months has been, pummeling the PSP. I suppose we have Nintendogs and that Shonen Jump! game to thank.

Both machines are impressive and a good buy. I don't understand the incessant need for fans of either system to argue over which is better. Buy what fits your tastes, and spare the rest from your indignation.

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2005, 08:47:31 AM »
Heh, then I'll inform Nintendo about illegal stealing. I have 2 PPSs and destroyed them and laughed out loud.

DS=Mario=the best
PPS=no Mario=stupid

So my opinion. PPS is Piece-a [dukar] portable.
Also, on school, some idiots saying PSP is better is a fact. then I said Mario, then I yelled at them. and when we take their HR class, I take their books out of their desk and rip them up so they fail. That's how much I love Nintendo.

Mario Mario he''s our man, If he can''t triple-jump and ground-pound, no one can!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 09:38:59 PM by Sapphira »

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2005, 12:39:46 PM »
 Wow, you missed the entire point of my, and many other posts in this thread. Nice job.

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2005, 06:54:50 PM »
Coulden't have said it better atom!
As for the person who made this topic there where very good reasons also some you forgot
the games for the psp are stupid,boring,crappy the psp doesen't stand a chanch, as it doesen't have Mario! So the system kind of goes down the drain right there, plus it's getto i hate getto,and why did someone say the games for the ds sucked?

Marioaholic
Marioaholic

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2005, 07:51:44 PM »
"Chanch." That just made me laugh.

"My spirit burns like the sun and I shall dry you like a prune."

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2005, 09:20:24 PM »
I didn't post my opinion in here yet, but I might as well.

I dislike the PSP mostly because it's Playstation. Sony has been taking popularity from Nintendo like crazy lately, and it kind of makes me resentful.

_______
j00r 73h r0x0r, d00d!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2005, 11:54:00 PM »
My brother, a Decline of Video Gaming fanatic, pointed out that when the Capcom leader was playing with a DS that had a PSP taped to the back of it.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2005, 05:11:41 AM »
While the DS could be superior in terms of game-quality opinion, the PSP beats the DS hands-down in technical terms. Let's have a look, shall we?

AVAILABLE COLORS ON-SCREEN:
PSP: 16,800,000
DS: 260,000

MEMORY:
PSP: 32MB internal, 4MB DRAM, plus Mem. Stick.
DS: 4MB

GAME MEDIA
PSP: UMD, 1.8 GB capacity
DS: Cartridge, 1 gigabit capacity

WIRELESS
PSP: IEEE802.11b WiFi, up to 11MBPS, 16 players
DS: IEEE802.11 WiFi, 2MBPS, 16 players

OPTIONAL MEDIA
PSP: JPEG, MP3 and MPEG4 playback
DS: N/A

FEATURES:
PSP: USB 2.0 port, analog feature, special media playback, eventual connectivity with PS3, giant widescreen
DS: Touch screen, plays GBA, microphone

As you can see, the PSP is far superior to the DS from a purely technical standpoint.

-------------------------------------
"How are you gentlemen !! All your base are belong to us !! You are on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time. HA HA HA HA ...."
-Cats, Zero Wing (Genesis)

Edited by - Glorb on 8/19/2005 4:22:48 AM
every

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2005, 08:03:53 AM »
Hey guys, I'm back.

You know what? I just realized something. It's so stupid to judge a console by how big it's screen is or how cool it is. The only thing that matters is the games it plays. If a company comes out with a super futuristic mega-console, and then has no good games to show and no developer support, they're going nowhere. Right now between the DS and the PSP, neither has come out with a really strong game. For the PSP, everyone can't wait to get their hands on GTA: Liberty City Stories. For the DS, everyone can't wait to get their hands on Mario Kart DS (or is it Metroid Prime Hunters, or Animal Crossing DS?). Anyway, the battle between the two really hasn't gone underway yet. We'll see this holiday season how things will be shaping up.

BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!
BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2005, 10:36:39 AM »
Based on my current observations, the PSP is indeed pantsless.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2005, 09:24:55 AM »
I don't care about which system is better, mostly because I own both a DS and a PSP. I got the DS the day it came out, and the PSP the day after U.S. launch. I own most of the current DS games (unfortunately, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Ping Pals, too) and a whole bunch of PSP games, plus a lot of the UMD movies. So who cares which is better? Actually, like I said, the PSP is way more advanced, but I digress. Plus, I own an Xbox, PS1, and PS2 in addition a Game Boy and GameCube.

-------------------------------------
"How are you gentlemen !! All your base are belong to us !! You are on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time. HA HA HA HA ...."
-Cats, Zero Wing (Genesis)
every

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2005, 11:34:41 AM »
I don't think the PSP is more advanced than it is "multi-talented."

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2005, 03:47:43 PM »
So, Super Smash Bros. for the DS really IS coming out?

" I would suggest that it''s not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art." ~Bill Watterson,a true role model.

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2005, 08:27:34 PM »
...I think that was a mistake. It's still uncertain whether there is going to be a SSB for DS or not.

_______
j00r 73h r0x0r, d00d!

Print