Print

Author Topic: Video games don't rot your brain!  (Read 11261 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: April 27, 2005, 06:38:49 PM »
I love video games, and I have a 4.0 GPA! Video games do not rot your mind! If you have proof, post it here!

Got Bird? -Bird Person<(^v^)>
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 06:41:21 PM »
I play video games all the time yet I'm in four AP classes, I got a 100 on my English Regents last year and my average is a 91. Heck, maybe vidoe games helped. They don't make me prone to violence either.

Random Anime Quote:
"Dita... let''s go!"--Hibiki Tokai. Vandread Second Stage episode 13.

Edited by - Latias Dita on 4/27/2005 5:41:52 PM
Random Anime Quote: "Wiggle, Squiggle! Look, I'm a mollusk!"
--Freesia Yagyu, Jubei-Chan 2 episode 3.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 07:25:59 PM »
Some video games are surprisingly educational:

Growing up with SNES RPGs really developed my english skills.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 08:50:57 PM »
I think I've learned a few new words from Mario games... but I can't remember which ones.

"Do you got a mullet goin’ on?"
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 09:18:45 PM »
Wow, this topic is like, obvious city.

"Don’t look into car headlights and freeze, because you might get run over or shot."
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 09:50:58 PM »
Heheh!

My grade point average has actually gone down since I stopped playing video games. I don't think that either is a cause of the other, though.

Playing video games probably taught me that it's more comfortable to sit on a nice couch than on the hard floor for extended periods of time.

"He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep for the sake of what he can never lose."
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 10:38:24 PM »
I learned my left from my right when playing video games.

I did learn other things, but I'm too lazy to list them.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 05:06:50 PM »
Yeah! If it weren't for M&L, I wouldn't know how to spell simultaneously! RPGs really help you learn new words!
Vidgmchtr: Me too. Thank the L and R buttons. What the teachers always said about how to remember never helped.

Edited by - Bird Person on 4/28/2005 4:09:17 PM
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 07:01:25 PM »
And if it wasn't for video games, most of us wouldn't be here!! XD

I think I also learned my left and right from playing video games.

"Do you got a mullet goin’ on?"

Edited by - Yoshisaurus Rex on 4/29/2005 5:59:26 AM
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 11:39:34 PM »
I don't remember how the teacher teaches you the difference.  I'm guessing she'd tell you the hand you write with is right, so just rembmer the writing hand is right and the other is left.  But I'm left-handed, so she'd say the opposite.

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” -Atticus Finch
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 12:36:46 AM »
Bird Person: Actually, I learned my left from my right when playing Super Mario 64. Level 6, Hazy Maze Cave. It started with a fork in the road. The left being a pit you had to jump across, the right being the path to the Red Coin room.

Not from the shoulder buttons.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 07:56:27 AM »
Well, sure. But I learned with the SNES's L and Rs.
I think video games might rot your mind... If it's stupid violent games like Grand Theft Auto and Halo. But it's just different with games like tetris and Mario RPGs.

Edited by - Bird Person on 4/29/2005 6:57:46 AM
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 06:37:02 PM »
Well... Unlike GTA, Halo's not all violence. It's SCI-FI violence! The good kind...Yeah.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 07:20:37 PM »
What makes it SCI-FI?  A lot of games and movies have aliens and advanced technology in them that I would not consider science fiction.  I'm a big science fiction fan and consider something to be Sci-Fi only if science is integral to the story.  The Cold Equations is a good example.  Star Wars is more of a western/space opera to me.  I'm a purest who doesn't like most fantasy novels, but I like satire and distopian fiction.  I like alot of the early speculative fiction that was in my opinion mislabled as science fiction.

Disclaimer: I've never play Halo or any other Xbox game.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 02:45:17 PM »
X Box must die. Most of the freakin' games are rated M. Which reminds me... a while ago, someone had an awesome sig like this:
Mom: What was that loud sound, son?
Me: Uh, nothing mom! *Continues to smash X Box*

It's YOUR problem!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 03:15:34 PM »
I like speculative fiction, but define Sci-fi as what could be but isn't, and Fantasy as what couldn't be.

Bad grades for me are usually from not trying.  Which is why I'm making up all my missing religion homework.  I got an A in that class last grading period because I did the homework, which is just answering questions at the end of every chapter.

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” -Atticus Finch

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 03:51:32 PM »
Well said, Markio.
But that's what I'm saying. People who play Mario games just seem to try harder in school, while people who play GTA don't. But maybe the people who decide to play GTA are already stupid, so they remain stupid as they play. People who decide to play Mario games are already smart, so there you go. I also don't like how GTA causes some people to make stupid decisions like drugs.

A bird can fly… But a fly can’t bird!!! –Bird Person<(^v^)>
It's YOUR problem!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2005, 04:24:40 PM »
You don't have to play video games to be a jerk.  (I don't mean anyone here).

If your day is bad, a nice comment at night can change everything.

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2005, 06:38:57 PM »
True true true. But GTA is a horrible game in many ways. I wouldn't play it if it were the last game in existence. Heh, Mario helped me learn left form right, too.

Random Anime Quote:
"Dita... let''s go!"--Hibiki Tokai. Vandread Second Stage episode 13.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2005, 10:07:18 PM »
*forms hand into a fist and speaks in a Starfox-esque voice* Mario-- He motivated me to become more educated in the computer sciences! And Grand Theft Auto taught me that people could make stupid stuff, and get rich off the stupidity of despicable consumers! And make others stupid at the very same time! It is a grave situation, my friends.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2005, 10:28:19 PM »
Bird Person: nintendofreak had that sig. I wonder if he's still around...

I also think that GTA sucks. It's a disgrace to video games, and it's sickening to think that some people apparently consider it better than great game series like Mario and Kirby (a lot of dopes call these games kiddy). I can't stand the way magazines like GamePro concentrate mostly on promoting dumb games like GTA, Halo, and Doom. A review in GamePro said that Kirby Air Ride and SSBM have kiddy music; I wonder what kind of junk they're comparing it to?

OK, rant ended.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2005, 11:05:20 PM »
[Here's an article from my favorite magazine. I present it because I agree with it.]

The Bravest Game

Grand Theft Auto to world: "Go F**k Yourself."

By Ken Levine

God bless Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Sure, it's going to be a huge financial success, and I have no doubt that it's going to get great reviews and sell cubic yards of PlayStations. But what I love about it - what I adore about it - is how, despite all the criticisms, the lawsuits, the pundits, the hand-wringing and the witch hunting, Rockstar basically told the world to go take a flying leap. GTA is its game, and if you don't like it, you can go, well, refer back to this article's subtitle.

Let's be frank. San Andreas is more violent, more sexual, more racially charged, and more agitprop than just about every other game in the universe put together. The game kicks off in a fantasy version of Los Angeles in the early '90s called Los Santos. I lived in Los Angeles from '89 to '93, and Rockstar's fake L.A. is more like the real L.A. of that period than any game, book, or movie.

I grew up in northern New Jersey in a safe, dull suburb. I went to Vassar, where I spent four years writing plays, showing up to class hungover, and meeting nice, rich girls.

And then something weird happened... I graduated and moved to L.A., and suddenly the cozy world I grew up in seemed to change.

I remember watching Rodney King getting the crap kicked out of him by a bunch of thuggish L.A. cops who didn't realize they were on candid camera.

I remember watching "Football" Williams beaning trucker Reginald Denny in the head with a brick on the corner of Florence and Normandie, and the subsequent L.A. riots moving northward... toward me.

I remember seeing mudslides bring houses off hills, and watching fires burn Malibu from the roof of my apartment.

I managed to escape from L.A. two months before the Northridge Earthquake. I had barely settled down in New York before the TV was alive with images of a white Bronco in a slow motion chase down the freeway.

It was a bad time for California, and by the end of it, I half-expected plagues of locusts and rivers of blood. There was something sinister about that time and place, and something thrilling. And San Andreas captures it.

I had expected Rockstar to take the easy way out. They aren't some gonzo publisher, selling snuff films on the Internet. They're a public company. They have shareholders, board members, and quarterly reports. The pressure to make a GTA "lite" must have been enormous. Publicly traded corporations aren't generally known for artistic heroism.

But they held firm. San Andreas takes the controversial content of the original GTA and doubles down. You can engage in turf wars, participate in drive-bys, hang out on the corner and drink a forty with your homies, undertake the occasional home invasion, and even try out your luck as a pimp.

Pundits and politicians might tsk-tsk these additions, but I am not one of them. Let me be clear: In real life, I've never hurt a fly. I don't maintain a stable of prostitutes. I'm a married vegetarian living in the suburbs.

But I read books, watch movies, and play games to have a vicarious experience, to live a life that I could never and would never have. Sometimes that means being an Italian plumber collecting giant mushrooms. Sometimes its being the head of an ancient Roman faction. Sometimes it's being a gang-banger whacking the competition.

But while Rockstar was courageous in the content, they were heroic in the game design. San Andreas has a plot and a series of missions to accomplish. But both take a back seat to the simple experience of living in a dark, scary world. Just driving in this fake but oh-so-real Southern California dystopia is the most powerful game experience I've had this year. The world is completely alive, and ripe with possibilities: Girls to meet, food to eat, weights to life, jobs to pull, tattoos to get, clothes to buy, cars to jack... the list does not end. It's not a game per se - it's a simulator of a damaged life in a dangerous place.

And the people at Rockstar know this. They trust their game enough to let it be malevolent and emergent. It's not a perfect game, but it's a brave one. And in an industry that is surrounded on all sides by blandness and compromise, that kind of courage is in short supply.

Ken Levine is the General Manager and Creative Director of Irrational Games.

“Using the Semicolon can sometimes be a tricky proposition from a syntactical perspective!”

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2005, 11:24:19 PM »
A word about the music: GTA's music fantastically captures the music of the time. The radio stations are a brilliant idea. The commercials and talk shows are also fantastic and hilarious. Voice acting is top-notch.
One could construct a strong argument that GTA:SA is better than Mario. Problem is, most immature kids running around liking it cite the wrong reasons for liking it.

“Using the Semicolon can sometimes be a tricky proposition from a syntactical perspective!”

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2005, 11:41:49 PM »
I don't like San Andreas. Too much swearing, etc. I like GTA: Vice City. My friends and I take turns in going on rampages... great fun. Even my friend's 8-year old sister likes to join in.

This isn''t a sig. You think it may be, but it''s not. It looks like it- it smells like it- it tastes like it. But don''t get yourself in the illusion that this is a sig- because it''s not.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2005, 11:57:32 PM »
Oh, yeah. Thanks, smfan 1085.
I would not play GTA if it were the only form of entertainment in the world. Because I don't find it entertaining. What's so entertaining about stealing peoples' money, shooting them, and using the money to deal drugs at nude clubs? That's not the definition of video game. A video game is where you eat dots, or blow up aliens, or save a pixel-princess from a giant firebreathing turtle! The more I type, the more I respect even the dumbest of dumb games like Banjo Kazooie... <(^v^)>
But personally, I don't like what Rare did to Star Fox and Donkey Kong...
And the only T game I own is Super Smash Bros. Melee...

It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2005, 07:15:16 AM »
I agree that GTA is a horrible game.

Video games also require twice the work.
ex. Your thinking about what to do and you are using your hands to move around and stuff.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2005, 10:01:16 AM »
They made a Game Toy Advance?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2005, 12:54:55 PM »
Hahaah... It took me a couple of seconds to understand, but GTA is Grand Theft Auto, a stupid game (Weird, games rated M are for immature 18-year olds!)
Did you notice that GBA stands for Game Boy Advance AND God Bless America?

It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2005, 04:51:08 PM »
Nope, I never noticed that.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2005, 06:07:41 PM »
Because God Blessed America (and Japan and Europe, etc.) with the Game Boy Advance. Game Boy Color is God Bless Canada. Haha.

It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2005, 09:13:52 PM »
"One could construct a strong argument that GTA:SA is better than Mario."

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard!

That article is stupid. The fantasy-world excuse simply doesn't cut it. There is just something wrong with people who pretend to do evil things, and it seems to me that such behaviors acted out in a video game could easily be carried over into real life by some people.

I don't see the need to debate further, though, especially after that awesome reply by Bird Person. (I refer to the one where he talks about what video games should be about.) Bravo, BP!
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2005, 01:24:58 PM »
I don't care that the GTA games have violence, swearing, etc., but I do find it quite annoying that you can walk down the streets with a shotgun with nothing happening.  It's the obvious things like that that keep me from playing the entire series of games.

Coconut Mike-N-Ikes->Marios preferred candy
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2005, 07:32:23 PM »
Thank you, smfan1085. That's also why I like Final Fantasy and Kirby: They're what video games are supposed to be about. Things that can't really happen. There are no such things as pink puffballs that swallow anything. There is no town on a southern continent inhabited entirely by elves. There is no firebreathing turtle in a land where a mushroom makes you twice your size. I don't like games about stuff that happens all the time. People get mugged. People get shot. I don't want to be the person who shoots people in dark alleys at night. GTA sucks and I have no idea how it got popular. WOW, that was long.

It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2005, 08:59:40 PM »
You know what? I think that's really true. Even in "The Sims," what do we do? Things that wouldn't normally happen in real life. Like buying a teleporter/elevator.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2005, 09:44:21 PM »
You're right, Bird Person.  And giant reptilian humanoid animals with bad tempers can't become your friend or let you be an advanced military weapon at age twelve. :(  It's kinda sad that real life isn't... unreal.  But then again, if it was, what would we dream about? :)

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2005, 05:41:56 AM »
Oh do I have proof! DO I HAVE PROOF! MUWHAHAHA! *ahem* Well, all the popular kids (at least in my school) don't game, or if they game, it's something stupid like some ultra-violent crap. Which really isn't good for anyone.

Those people who don't play games, usually party, get involved with drugs, sleep around. Oh sure they have lots of friends, and a sex life. However, that is all they have. They don't know loyalty, or puzzle-solving, or any of those things. So look where they are pregnant, or junkies. The reason probaly the news is so down on overweight people and gaming, is that they know this is true, and they're tired of people spreading that truth.

If that crackpot conspiracy theory doesn't work for you, then how about this? Dr. House, plays Nintendo. Enough said.

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2005, 05:59:11 PM »
Hmm, sounds like my school. All the kids who play dumb M-rated games like GTA are currenly failing or have dropped out. Kids in honors classes and who have high grades play Mario and other non-M-rated games (or RPGs, interesting).

Random Anime Quote:
" They''ve drawn us awful carelessly."--Osaru (I think), Jubei-Chan episode 5.

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2005, 07:18:23 PM »
I am not completely against videogame violence: games like Half-Life 2, Resident Evil 4, and even Doom 3 are great games.  But the thing is, the stuff in those games wouldn't ever happen.  See games like GTA are depictions (even though sometimes exaggerated) of what happens everyday, what you see on the news.  You shouldn't admire a game or think that playing a "violent" game will make you cooler, it's the actual game.
 n/a

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2005, 08:51:19 PM »
And I noticed... Most people in my class prefer the PSP, but the guys in honors classes at least respect the DS and ask if they can play it. And there's always Rich Kid, with a PSP, a Caera Phone, a digital camera, an iPod, a giant trampoline, etc. AND, there's Spoiled Kid, who will get a PSP for a B average next year. Both are in average math.

Tweet! Any Questions? –Bird Person<(^v^)>
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2005, 09:06:15 PM »
Heheheh. Of course, there is also the media pirate, who likes the PSP so he can put everything they obtain illegally onto those mini disks...

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2005, 02:05:36 PM »
My tribute to the GOOD video games:

Pokemon: My first games were ALL Pokemon. Pokemon was what got me into the gaming world. Those games taught me that it's important to never quit.(even if you hafta get your mom to help you beat Brock while you go take a bath)

Mario: Mostly, the only Mario games I ever played were rentals until Mom and Dad got me Paper Mario. Paper Mario taught me persistancy.(it took me longer to beat the Koopa Bros than it did for me to beat Brock for the first time!) Mario games also taught me that Italian plumbers make great heroes.

Sonic: These games helped me with my hand-eye coordination.(My group had the highest total points in archery and that was the only thing in gym that I was ever any good at.) They also taught me that blue hair is COOL. And I learned what the feeling of beating a game is like from Sonic Adventure DX, the only game I've ever beaten.

Daaaaaang, that was long.

--------------------
I think I swallowed a bug! Bug swallow! BUG SWALLOW!
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Print