Print

Author Topic: Video games don't rot your brain!  (Read 11240 times)

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 03:15:34 PM »
I like speculative fiction, but define Sci-fi as what could be but isn't, and Fantasy as what couldn't be.

Bad grades for me are usually from not trying.  Which is why I'm making up all my missing religion homework.  I got an A in that class last grading period because I did the homework, which is just answering questions at the end of every chapter.

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” -Atticus Finch
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 03:51:32 PM »
Well said, Markio.
But that's what I'm saying. People who play Mario games just seem to try harder in school, while people who play GTA don't. But maybe the people who decide to play GTA are already stupid, so they remain stupid as they play. People who decide to play Mario games are already smart, so there you go. I also don't like how GTA causes some people to make stupid decisions like drugs.

A bird can fly… But a fly can’t bird!!! –Bird Person<(^v^)>
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2005, 04:24:40 PM »
You don't have to play video games to be a jerk.  (I don't mean anyone here).

If your day is bad, a nice comment at night can change everything.

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2005, 06:38:57 PM »
True true true. But GTA is a horrible game in many ways. I wouldn't play it if it were the last game in existence. Heh, Mario helped me learn left form right, too.

Random Anime Quote:
"Dita... let''s go!"--Hibiki Tokai. Vandread Second Stage episode 13.
Random Anime Quote: "Wiggle, Squiggle! Look, I'm a mollusk!"
--Freesia Yagyu, Jubei-Chan 2 episode 3.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2005, 10:07:18 PM »
*forms hand into a fist and speaks in a Starfox-esque voice* Mario-- He motivated me to become more educated in the computer sciences! And Grand Theft Auto taught me that people could make stupid stuff, and get rich off the stupidity of despicable consumers! And make others stupid at the very same time! It is a grave situation, my friends.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2005, 10:28:19 PM »
Bird Person: nintendofreak had that sig. I wonder if he's still around...

I also think that GTA sucks. It's a disgrace to video games, and it's sickening to think that some people apparently consider it better than great game series like Mario and Kirby (a lot of dopes call these games kiddy). I can't stand the way magazines like GamePro concentrate mostly on promoting dumb games like GTA, Halo, and Doom. A review in GamePro said that Kirby Air Ride and SSBM have kiddy music; I wonder what kind of junk they're comparing it to?

OK, rant ended.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2005, 11:05:20 PM »
[Here's an article from my favorite magazine. I present it because I agree with it.]

The Bravest Game

Grand Theft Auto to world: "Go F**k Yourself."

By Ken Levine

God bless Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Sure, it's going to be a huge financial success, and I have no doubt that it's going to get great reviews and sell cubic yards of PlayStations. But what I love about it - what I adore about it - is how, despite all the criticisms, the lawsuits, the pundits, the hand-wringing and the witch hunting, Rockstar basically told the world to go take a flying leap. GTA is its game, and if you don't like it, you can go, well, refer back to this article's subtitle.

Let's be frank. San Andreas is more violent, more sexual, more racially charged, and more agitprop than just about every other game in the universe put together. The game kicks off in a fantasy version of Los Angeles in the early '90s called Los Santos. I lived in Los Angeles from '89 to '93, and Rockstar's fake L.A. is more like the real L.A. of that period than any game, book, or movie.

I grew up in northern New Jersey in a safe, dull suburb. I went to Vassar, where I spent four years writing plays, showing up to class hungover, and meeting nice, rich girls.

And then something weird happened... I graduated and moved to L.A., and suddenly the cozy world I grew up in seemed to change.

I remember watching Rodney King getting the crap kicked out of him by a bunch of thuggish L.A. cops who didn't realize they were on candid camera.

I remember watching "Football" Williams beaning trucker Reginald Denny in the head with a brick on the corner of Florence and Normandie, and the subsequent L.A. riots moving northward... toward me.

I remember seeing mudslides bring houses off hills, and watching fires burn Malibu from the roof of my apartment.

I managed to escape from L.A. two months before the Northridge Earthquake. I had barely settled down in New York before the TV was alive with images of a white Bronco in a slow motion chase down the freeway.

It was a bad time for California, and by the end of it, I half-expected plagues of locusts and rivers of blood. There was something sinister about that time and place, and something thrilling. And San Andreas captures it.

I had expected Rockstar to take the easy way out. They aren't some gonzo publisher, selling snuff films on the Internet. They're a public company. They have shareholders, board members, and quarterly reports. The pressure to make a GTA "lite" must have been enormous. Publicly traded corporations aren't generally known for artistic heroism.

But they held firm. San Andreas takes the controversial content of the original GTA and doubles down. You can engage in turf wars, participate in drive-bys, hang out on the corner and drink a forty with your homies, undertake the occasional home invasion, and even try out your luck as a pimp.

Pundits and politicians might tsk-tsk these additions, but I am not one of them. Let me be clear: In real life, I've never hurt a fly. I don't maintain a stable of prostitutes. I'm a married vegetarian living in the suburbs.

But I read books, watch movies, and play games to have a vicarious experience, to live a life that I could never and would never have. Sometimes that means being an Italian plumber collecting giant mushrooms. Sometimes its being the head of an ancient Roman faction. Sometimes it's being a gang-banger whacking the competition.

But while Rockstar was courageous in the content, they were heroic in the game design. San Andreas has a plot and a series of missions to accomplish. But both take a back seat to the simple experience of living in a dark, scary world. Just driving in this fake but oh-so-real Southern California dystopia is the most powerful game experience I've had this year. The world is completely alive, and ripe with possibilities: Girls to meet, food to eat, weights to life, jobs to pull, tattoos to get, clothes to buy, cars to jack... the list does not end. It's not a game per se - it's a simulator of a damaged life in a dangerous place.

And the people at Rockstar know this. They trust their game enough to let it be malevolent and emergent. It's not a perfect game, but it's a brave one. And in an industry that is surrounded on all sides by blandness and compromise, that kind of courage is in short supply.

Ken Levine is the General Manager and Creative Director of Irrational Games.

“Using the Semicolon can sometimes be a tricky proposition from a syntactical perspective!”

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2005, 11:24:19 PM »
A word about the music: GTA's music fantastically captures the music of the time. The radio stations are a brilliant idea. The commercials and talk shows are also fantastic and hilarious. Voice acting is top-notch.
One could construct a strong argument that GTA:SA is better than Mario. Problem is, most immature kids running around liking it cite the wrong reasons for liking it.

“Using the Semicolon can sometimes be a tricky proposition from a syntactical perspective!”

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2005, 11:41:49 PM »
I don't like San Andreas. Too much swearing, etc. I like GTA: Vice City. My friends and I take turns in going on rampages... great fun. Even my friend's 8-year old sister likes to join in.

This isn''t a sig. You think it may be, but it''s not. It looks like it- it smells like it- it tastes like it. But don''t get yourself in the illusion that this is a sig- because it''s not.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2005, 11:57:32 PM »
Oh, yeah. Thanks, smfan 1085.
I would not play GTA if it were the only form of entertainment in the world. Because I don't find it entertaining. What's so entertaining about stealing peoples' money, shooting them, and using the money to deal drugs at nude clubs? That's not the definition of video game. A video game is where you eat dots, or blow up aliens, or save a pixel-princess from a giant firebreathing turtle! The more I type, the more I respect even the dumbest of dumb games like Banjo Kazooie... <(^v^)>
But personally, I don't like what Rare did to Star Fox and Donkey Kong...
And the only T game I own is Super Smash Bros. Melee...

It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2005, 07:15:16 AM »
I agree that GTA is a horrible game.

Video games also require twice the work.
ex. Your thinking about what to do and you are using your hands to move around and stuff.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2005, 10:01:16 AM »
They made a Game Toy Advance?

If your day is bad, a nice comment at night can change everything.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2005, 12:54:55 PM »
Hahaah... It took me a couple of seconds to understand, but GTA is Grand Theft Auto, a stupid game (Weird, games rated M are for immature 18-year olds!)
Did you notice that GBA stands for Game Boy Advance AND God Bless America?

It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2005, 04:51:08 PM »
Nope, I never noticed that.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2005, 06:07:41 PM »
Because God Blessed America (and Japan and Europe, etc.) with the Game Boy Advance. Game Boy Color is God Bless Canada. Haha.

It's YOUR problem!

Print