Print

Author Topic: ...PS1?  (Read 2354 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: September 09, 2005, 11:23:18 PM »
I'm thinking that I should get a used PS1 to play Final Fantasy, but not if Nintendo's putting more on the DS. Should I?

You''re not the boss of me, Carson Daly! Get off me! -Andy Milonakis
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 11:26:17 PM »
The only Final Fantasy coming to DS is FFIII. You could play a version of FF and FFII via the GBA slot and GBA game Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls.

A PS2 could play darn near all of them.

A PS1 would get you 1,4,5,6,7,8,9.

I bte yuo cna rdae tihs by lkooign at it.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 11:34:12 PM »
Yeah, Dawn of Souls was one of the best video game decisions I've ever made.

You''re not the boss of me, Carson Daly! Get off me! -Andy Milonakis
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 09:19:55 AM »
FF VII changed my life. I'll never look at the girly, fruity, wussy-weenie male leads of the games again, now that I've heard of Cloud. Except the main character of FF Tactics. It took me, like, ten minutes before I realized he was male. I mean, look at the name! Marche? How much girlier can you get?

But anyway, back to the topic at hand.

-------------------------------------
"How are you gentlemen !! All your base are belong to us !! You are on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time. HA HA HA HA ...."
-Cats, Zero Wing (Genesis)
every

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 12:57:35 PM »
That's FF Tactics Advance. There's a big difference.

I bte yuo cna rdae tihs by lkooign at it.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 09:39:28 PM »
"Yeah, Dawn of Souls was one of the best video game decisions I've ever made."

Dawn of Souls was a molestation of the original Final Fantasy. I haven't put enough time into the DoS version of FFII to make an assessment of the changes made there, but it seems the changes made were not as drastic.

As far as the translation goes, I was extremely happy with Dawn of Souls. It was, as a whole, very well done. My problems with it lie with the changes made to the battle system, magic system, and consequently the difficulty. As you may, or may not realize, the original Final Fantasy, as well as the Origins rendition, had nothing to do with with the "classic" Magic Points system. You had eight levels of spells, each with a limited capacity. As you used a particular level of spell, the other levels were unaffected. This allowed for a more strategic use of magic, as you couldn't fire off Fire3/Firaga every battle. The same goes with curing spells. You had to make use of items which cast spells (i.e. Healing Staff/Helmet) in order to preserve your spells.

Not only that, but the little things bothered me too, such as the removal of "Unaffected" when attacking a defeated enemy, and some of the spell changes, such as LIFE being able to be cast in battle. The game simply became hold the 'A' button during battles, something you couldn't do in the original.

"FF VII changed my life. I'll never look at the girly, fruity, wussy-weenie male leads of the games again, now that I've heard of Cloud."

I was rather surprised by this statement, since Cloud is definitely one of the more "girly" and "wussy-weenie" male leads. What with his cross-dressing, indecisive attitude, conflicting feelings, and some-what angst-filled presence, he's certainly not the brickwall of raw masculinity as our dear Cecil Harvey, of FFIV. But, hey, whatever suits you.

"That's FF Tactics Advance. There's a big difference."

Thank you.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 11:32:01 PM »
All Nintendo.com siad about FF2 was "Plus, the new soul of rebirth saga of heroes who gave their lives to blah blah blah..." As far as I can see, the music is from the Japanese version.
It's not bad. I made it into Pandaemonium after getting about a million Phoenix Downs for Minwu, he didn't stop dying. How ironic, he was already dead. But then I accidently erased my file for it. Grr. I like turning Leon into a toad! I know I'm not supposed to use Black Magic on my party members, but the taod is so cool! I want to know what it looks like when its attack actually hits.

You can put a spoon between two slices of bread and it only sticks out a little bit! –Andy Milonakis
It's YOUR problem!

Print