Poll

Which of these systems should've been released here?

Atari Cosmo (holographic portable Atari 2600)
0 (0%)
PlayStation Pocket (tiny black-&-white psuedo-PlayStation)
0 (0%)
SNES CD drive (later became...the PlayStation!)
4 (21.1%)
N64 DD drive (added extra effects to games; Japan only)
14 (73.7%)
Atari Jaguar 2 (um, an Atari Jaguar successor)
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Print

Author Topic: Best Never-Released System  (Read 9180 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: February 13, 2006, 01:43:49 PM »
Sadly, thse 5 systems were either never released at all, or, in the case of the N64 CD, were available only in Japan for a very short time. Which one do you think should've been released, if only for the sake of curiosity? Yeah, it's true, most of 'em were probably never released for a reason, but the SNES and N64 CD drives should've been released.
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »
Uhh there was no such thing as an N64 CD drive.  There was an N64 DD (disk drive), but this was certainly not a CD.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 06:30:58 PM »
Nope, there was a plan to release a true CD drive in Japan for the N64. Maybe I should've reworded the phrase: "meant to be released in Japan, but was never released at all".
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 07:57:42 PM »
Proof?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 09:13:35 AM »
There was to be a cool Ocarina of Time thing for the N64 DD.  I would've loved to have seen that.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 09:43:02 PM »
The dungeons for that project got released as Ocarina of Time: Master Quest on the Wind Waker pre-order disc here. The overworld stuff has not seen the light of day, though.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 04:27:19 AM »
Wow, there was overworld stuff?  That would have been interesting to play.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 09:23:19 AM »
Yeah, that would be cool. But the N64 CD drive was actually planned, but Nintendo thought it would be too expensive. So they lowered the funcionality a bit and made it into a hard-disk drive that was essentially a big memory card, but even that was only released in Japan, and it didm't last very long.
As for the SNES CD drive, Nintendo actually chose not to go with Sony for the add-on, but instead got Phillips to make the craptastical CDi, which actually warped the SNES' plastic parts with its sheer amount of suck. Of course, the "Nintendo PlayStation" was a really cool idea (a dedicated CD-based 32-bit system) so Sony manufactured it as a stand-alone product, the PlayStation. Rumor has it that Sony chose the wierd X, Circle, Square and Triangle buttons over the more conventional A, B, X and Y buttons to further set it apart from the SNES.
every

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 11:07:47 AM »
Don't forget about the SNES ND (Nintendo Disk). It would sell for $300, and its CPU had 21.477 Mhz (wow!). A Mario game was announced for the system.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 11:33:14 AM »
The N64DD wasn't a hard disk, it was more of a floppy disk.
You still haven't proven your N64CD claim.
The SNES CD and SNES ND are the same thing.
Nintendo didn't "get" Phillips to make the CDi.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 11:37:02 AM »
pwn'd.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 02:39:05 PM »
No, not pwned.

1. The N64 CD WAS a CD drive THAT WAS NEVER RELEASED ANYWHERE (must I stress that again?), not even Japan, or Canada, or Mars, nowhere.
2. I cannot prove it literally, as I don't own schematics or anything. Look it up on Google (but actually try).
3. Yes, they are, but I didn't say that.
4. Nintendo did request to Phillips to release the CDi, and I shouldn't even have to prove that to you.

What does trying to "prove" this (factual) stuff wrong have to with anything?
every

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 09:48:55 AM »
You know, I have a magazine about the DD or whatever. I would scan it, but I think it's against the law to post copyrighted material.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 09:22:36 AM »
No, not pwned.

1. The N64 CD WAS a CD drive THAT WAS NEVER RELEASED ANYWHERE (must I stress that again?), not even Japan, or Canada, or Mars, nowhere.
2. I cannot prove it literally, as I don't own schematics or anything. Look it up on Google (but actually try).
3. Yes, they are, but I didn't say that.
4. Nintendo did request to Phillips to release the CDi, and I shouldn't even have to prove that to you.

What does trying to "prove" this (factual) stuff wrong have to with anything?

I suppose that MB would like you to give evidance. Perhaps it YOU showled the website. Don't make him search (very hardly) on Google, as you suggested.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 09:34:43 AM »
I do have an old 1999 issue of GamePro that has an article on this, but I have no scanner, so I can't upload it.
every

Print