Print

Author Topic: Cheat codes  (Read 10345 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: November 22, 2006, 02:40:22 PM »
Cheat codes: What are they? Well, we already know, but how do you feel about them? In my opinion, cheat codes are practically a neccessity in some games. For example, the GTA games have some of the best cheat codes in any games, and would be nearly incomplete without them. Sure, there's standard stuff like health and armor and weapons, but there's also stuff like causing riots, making cars explode or fly like a plane, playing as a different character, making the main character fat or thin, and all sorts of other silly junk. Other games have creative methods of entering codes. Take the convuluted method of making the (in?)famous coin-filled ship appear in SMB3: I forget, but it involves timing the level exit just right, making sure your score ends with a certain digit, and other stuff.

Oh, and because I'm in the mood, here's a little game to play: match the cheat code to its game. Bonus points for identifying what it does.

1. Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
2. Type "idspispopd"
3. R1, R2, L1, X, Left, Down, Right, Up, Left, Down, Right, Up
4. Hold "G", "O" and "D" simultaneously
5. Highlight your save file, hold L + R and press A
6. Enter "PAKING PAKING PAKING PAKING" as a password

A. Kid Icarus
B. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
C. Gradius
D. New Super Mario Bros.
E. Doom
F. Commander Keen
every

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 02:54:31 PM »
1 = C

Don't remember what it does, but come on, the Konami code, yo.

2 = E

It enabled "no clipping" for me.

Logic tells me that 6 = A, and that 5 = D.

So after that I guess that 3 = B, and 4 = F
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 02:58:54 PM by Eclipsed Moon »

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 03:49:09 PM »
To me, cheat codes seem fun when they let you do things you normally cant do...
wait that doesnt make any sense.
Like, they are good when they let you got to areas not in the game, but things like unlimited health just ruin the whole point of the game.
I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 04:15:16 PM »
By the way, how many things like infinite health and stage skipping were originally put in for debugging purposes, and then just left in due to laziness?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 05:12:43 PM »
the convuluted method of making the (in?)famous coin-filled ship appear in SMB3: I forget, but it involves timing the level exit just right, making sure your score ends with a certain digit, and other stuff.
I don't consider that cheating so much as a "programmed feature." Also since it doesn't give you the coins automatically.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 07:29:04 PM »
Rare is notorius for cheats and other hidden stuff. I remember those useless Stop n' Swop items from Banjo-Kazooie.

Better yet, here's a question for ya'll. What is the best cheat code ever?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 08:23:25 PM »
Suicide!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 09:08:57 PM »
Kill Dash from Debug Mode on Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, to be specific.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 11:39:39 PM »
Best code ever was big head mode on Goldeneye 64.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 11:58:00 PM »
This doesn't really count as cheat codes, but I like the Action Replay codes that allowed you to play the test levels in Windwaker.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 12:15:28 AM »
Treasure ship in SMB3 isn't really a "cheat".
That was a joke.

Sqrt2

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 05:24:38 AM »
Best cheat code ever is the Master Code in Turok 2 (BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND). Seeing stick-thin dinosaurs with big heads makes me chuckle.
AA fanboy and proud!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 09:15:50 AM »
Best code ever was big head mode on Goldeneye 64.

Nah, DK mode was way better than that.

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 01:04:21 PM »
He must have been talking about that, because there is no standard big head mode.  And also because I've heard him talking about DK mode before.

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 01:12:17 PM »
Yeah, I have the game... It's called DK mode, but it just enlarges the head, hence, big head mode.

My favorite cheat code ever? Well, I dunno if I can pick a favorite, but I like the code in Goldeneye where you can unlock all the guns. Dual silver PP7s, foo'!

Also, not really a code, but I like the superjumps in Halo 2.

Print