Print

Author Topic: Canadian Mysteries  (Read 10843 times)

« on: February 13, 2010, 10:05:32 PM »
In this thread, we ponder the mysteries of Canada.

My questions are:

WTD do these signs mean?

And what's this First Nations jazz? Is that what Canadians call Indians?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:09:42 PM »
LD, don't try to ask out Weegee. Everyone knows Canadians don't believe in love.

At least, that's what I've heard.
every

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:25:50 PM »
WTD do these signs mean?

They denote the upcoming presence of recently-added road signs or traffic lights.

And what's this First Nations jazz?

Canada has a thriving Aboriginal music community.

Is that what Canadians call Indians?

Anyone who dares use the term "Indians" here is liable to be scalped and cannibalized. "Indian", Eskimo", and even the seemingly-innocous "Native Canadian" have all been deemed politically incorrect in recent years.

Anything else?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:01:47 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 10:48:28 PM »
I've never seen that sign before and I guessed it meant "new traffic light coming up", which sounds close.

As for Indians, I would say "Native Americans", but chances are in 50 years there will be other politically correct terms and the previous ones will become offensive or wordy. I'm still not sure what to call blacks, it seems to flip-flop.

I took a vacation up in Canada many years back, and it doesn't seem half-bad, aside from having to get used to everything using the metric system (speed limits posted in km/h - so yeah, you get to use the inside numbers on your speedometer now). The colored money's kind of cool though. And it seems all the cool cartoons are airing in Canada. And if nothing else, I can say Canada's cool for "The Red Green Show". There's also been quite a few cartoons we take for granted that came from Canada. Darned if I can recall any at this moment. Unfortunately when I look them up on IMDB, they usually attribute the shows as coming from two or three different places.

I can probably attribute to Canada or the U.K. or both the habit of 'a' sounding like 'ah', in words such like 'hat' or 'plant' or 'can't'. It's probably a mild change in pronunciation rather than literally saying 'ah', but I can barely tell the difference. I also remember it because of that one Family Feud blooper where the question is "Name a favorite Arthur" and, due to the pronunciation, sounded more like "Name a favorite author". The lady answers "Shakespeare", and the host says "Arthur Shakespeare?"

The old E.B. White book "Trumpet of the Swan" still has mentions of the word "Indian" in the first chapter. Wonder if a later reprint will change it, given it's a children's book. ...A book that didn't NEED a movie by the way.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:51:36 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 11:49:12 PM »
All the black dudes I know refer to themselves as black. (Not "blacks" though, ever.)
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 11:55:23 PM »
I grew up right next to a reservation and have grandparents who live in a reservation and have never met an Indian who took offense to being called an Indian.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 01:02:48 AM »
I can probably attribute to Canada or the U.K. or both the habit of 'a' sounding like 'ah'

Americans say "aysk". The British say "ahsk". Canadians say "ask".

I grew up right next to a reservation and have grandparents who live in a reservation and have never met an Indian who took offense to being called an Indian.

They themselves don't take offense; it's the uber-politically-correct, left-wing extremist Liberals who basically run the nation despite not even being in power who take offense.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 02:54:09 AM »
Americans say "aysk". The British say "ahsk". Canadians say "ask".
Gee, you're not biased. :P

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 03:11:26 AM »

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 03:33:20 AM »
LOL @ "why are people posting colors on facebook"   Good times.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 08:30:43 AM »
I seriously think we could get a whole thread out of the things that site suggests. The Google Super Bowl ad would've been even better if stuff like that showed up.

Anyway, George Carlin's probably not the best source for historical information, but he was going on at one point about how the Indians weren't called that because Columbus or whoever thought he was in India, but because they were people "In Dios" ("Under God")--and besides, unless you live in Africa, you're not a "Native" anything.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 07:56:11 PM »
I'm a Native Earthling!

(probably)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »
Don't make me whip out my "aliens banged monkeys and made people" conspiracy theories, because I will...

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 10:47:21 PM »
I'm a Native Earthling!

Canada is so politically correct in that regard that the government once considered modifying the line "Our home and native land" in our national anthem so as not to offend immigrants.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 12:37:04 PM »
Wow, and I thought the States were over-the-top about that. Wasn't there also some thing about them changing a line so they wouldn't offend vegans or left-handed people or something?

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 01:35:54 PM »
I'm not sure about that, although there was also a movement to to change the lines "In all thy sons command" and "God keep our land glorious and free" so as to please feminists and atheists, respectively.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 12:46:30 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmPqm8aaMk" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmPqm8aaMk</a>.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 02:02:09 PM »
even the seemingly-innocous "Native Canadian" have all been deemed politically incorrect in recent years.

You can say "Native American" here, but you can't say "Native Canadian" there? Why?
Relics.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 05:03:34 PM »
Hmm.  I've never thought about that before.  Maybe Native American applies to the Americas, and not just the United States of America.  So, natives in present day Canada would be considered Native American. 

I'm just guessing here.  Anyone with  a few seconds on Google could likely correct me. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 08:42:20 PM »
That term isn't used much here either.

Print