Print

Author Topic: Original Sin Paradox?  (Read 14271 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 08:52:04 AM »
Here's the real problem, which ties into the argument about original sin:

Turtlekid's religious arguments almost always involve taking stuff from the Old Testament literally. Most Christians aren't morons and don't literally interpret writings that, as should be quite obvious from some of the completely absurd things that happen in them, are allegorical in nature, particularly when referring to books like Genesis that completely go against common sense in addition to accepted scientific thought. Turtlekid's arguments are idiotic and asinine, and go against what most other Christians believe. And it should be clear by this point that he's not going to learn, so it's best to just ignore him and move along.

(I'm not saying some absurd stuff doesn't happen in the New Testament, but not nearly to the extent of what happens in the Old Testament. People didn't get turned into pillars of salt in the New Testament. Men didn't lose their strength because they got a haircut in the New Testament.)

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
Samson is my favorite dude in the Bible.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »
If you don't like religion or religious concepts, why on earth would you enter a thread with the word "sin" in the title?
If you* don't like science or science concepts, why on earth would you enter a thread with the word "paradox" in the title?

The word paradox always gets my attention because there can be no real paradoxes.  Saying something is a paradox simply means we don't fully understand it and science is all about figuring things out. 

*I'm not referring to you specifically with this comment.  I just wanted to quote you to show the juxtaposition of the duality at hand. 

BTW, LD is correct.  The matter/antimatter conundrum also intrigues me.  As does the accelerated expansion.   
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
so it's best to just ignore him and move along.
Then friggin' do that already instead of hanging around just to insult someone whose actual arguments you have no intention of ever addressing.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 12:05:28 PM »
You're yelling at the wrong person here. I normally avoid posting in these threads. I'm just sick of Turtlekid's stupidity making every other follower of the religion look bad and couldn't take it any longer.

Turtlekid's "actual arguments" thus far have been as follows:
-Taking Genesis literally
-Taking Genesis literally
-Asking why anyone who hates religion or religious concepts would look at a thread with "sin" in the title, ignoring numerous non-religious uses of the word

I see no real arguments here to be addressed. I just see someone who needs to get out of the house more.

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »
Taking Genesis literally has a correlation with getting out of the house?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 12:15:54 PM »
Yes. The more you go outside and see the real world, the less you'll be inclined to take a book that's largely and obviously fictional literally.

Hopefully, anyway. Considering this is Turtlekid we're talking about, I'm not sure that would even work.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 12:55:34 PM »
Everybody believes what they want to believe, and nobody's going to make them change their minds.

So stop arguing about it.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 01:24:11 PM »
Yes. The more you go outside and see the real world, the less you'll be inclined to take a book that's largely and obviously fictional literally.

Actually, now that you mention it, that's how I became irreligious. :/
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 02:17:04 PM »
Try telling that to history's greatest Christian minds.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »
I'm not sure such a thing exists. Basing your worldview on a 2000 year old "I swear I'm still a virgin" story doesn't say great mind to me.

But you did say "greatest", so I suppose it's not technically an oxymoron.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 03:56:13 PM »
Regardless, a bunch of dead Europeans are irrelevant to an argument in the present day.

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 04:14:52 PM »
Regardless, a bunch of dead Europeans are irrelevant to an argument in the present day.

Why? They brought more insight into the world than either of us ever will.

Besides, a mind can never be great, or even properly functional, if the soul which controls it doesn't acknowledge God.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »
Explain the ancient Greeks, then.

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 04:19:21 PM »
There is no such thing as a magical soul that controls a mind. A mind is just a mind. A machine made of meat.

Print