be taxed
0 (0%)
both
6 (26.1%)
neither
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Print

Author Topic: Should religions stay out of politics or be taxed?  (Read 27621 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2008, 05:32:48 PM »
*Gets popcorn and a comfy chair to watch Turtlekid defend wife-beating*
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2008, 09:18:52 PM »
Your definition of wife beating is (in most cases) different that the Bible's.  Wife beaters were commanded by the Bible to beat their wives well and act according to their faith, something the angry husbands of the 1980s failed at.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2008, 12:59:16 AM »
Yea, because India's GDP is soooooooooo much lower than America's.

"it's something's being right that causes a majority of people to believe in it"

I put 6 KKK members and 4 black people in a room. The 6 KKK members decide to kill the 4 black people. This is acceptable and right in this room because a majority of people in the room believe in it.

Also if the church can use money to, I don't know, throw support for Prop 8 in California, they are a political organisation and must be taxed.

Also Prop 8 is a complete and utter disgrace to the number 8, which happens to be my favorite number.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:00:49 AM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2008, 05:52:45 AM »
No no no no!

Remember my children:

If the old book says so, it is true!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »
"it's something's being right that causes a majority of people to believe in it"

I put 6 KKK members and 4 black people in a room. The 6 KKK members decide to kill the 4 black people. This is acceptable and right in this room because a majority of people in the room believe in it.

Wait, what?  I just said that people don't define morality.  That's why the above situation wouldn't be moral.  Were you trying to support my argument?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2008, 04:05:16 PM »
But obviously since the majority believed it was acceptable, it must have been right, and thus caused them to believe it.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2008, 04:40:18 PM »
Scratch the first part, then you've got it.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2008, 05:01:23 PM »
So, the KKK members were right then?
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2008, 11:00:55 AM »
Did I not just say they were wrong?  I will repeat as clearly as possible:

A majority's belief in a value doesn't make it right.  That doesn't mean a value's being right won't make more people believe in it.  Although, in today's world, that's becoming less and less the case.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2008, 03:02:09 PM »
Let's look at it in a slightly different way. Let's say that the only people left in the whole wide world are 6 KKK members and 4 black people, and the KKK members decide to kill the black folks. Who else is around to say that's wrong? You base morality on the notion that God supposedly defines it. Play devil's advocate by taking God out of the equation, and your logic falls apart. God also apparently thought it was cool to enslave folks and to kill women as punishment for getting raped. Everybody went by those guidelines until some other people came to their senses and decided those were wrong. And nowadays most rational human people believe slavery is totally uncool and rape is the fault of the rapist. And I'll bet you think that too, TK. So, does that mean God was wrong?
every

« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2008, 03:54:17 PM »
All right, I think I get it now.  When something is right, that causes the majority to believe in it.  Unless the majority doesn't believe something is right, in which case they believe something else.  Simple.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »
Are you trying to prove something?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2008, 05:23:26 PM »
Nah, he's just posting those words because he feels like it.

Print