Print

Author Topic: Gears of War 3  (Read 12614 times)

« on: September 09, 2011, 01:09:48 PM »
Not sure why this game doesn't have its own topic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7RwoaiMFjA" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7RwoaiMFjA</a>

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:01:34 PM »
That lancer is pretty cool.  Can't say I'm anywhere NEAR enough a fan to desire it, but cool regardless.

Also, don't need to hear about Ice T's arousal from the 360...

And finally, is the story deep and engaging enough for me to buy the second before I get this?  Will I be lost, or is it essentially People dieing, locust attacking, tough guy sound bang bang?  I'd just a soon get the cliffnotes version of 2, but if it's actually good I might try to find it cheap.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
(caring about the story in Gears of War games)

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
Gears of War 2 does have one of the funniest dialogue deliveries I've ever heard.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 02:32:49 PM »
That's what I was saying.  I didn't think it was important, but I never played the second one so I didn't know.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:59:47 PM »
I'm lovin' Gears 3 but have two complaints:

1) Most of the time the matchmaking seems fine but I've had a few stretches where I couldn't get matches in seemingly any mode. It probably doesn't help that, according to the in-game numbers, 80% of people are playing in ghey Quick Matches and not legit Ranked Matches. n00bs! I also partially blame Epic for not requiring Ranked for achievements or leveling up anymore.

2) I've seen 0% of the campaign because bobman37 is a DUKAR!

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 01:04:37 AM »
Yeah sorry I kind of stood you up this weekend. I had some stuff come up and wasn't home basically at all. But my schedule is relatively back to normal this week so we can bust it open this week.

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 04:42:21 AM »
Oh man this game makes me want an Xbox like a fat boy wants cake. No chance of a PC release for Gears 2 and 3?
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »
It'll never happen. But ironically in Gears 3 there's an unlock that requires an achievement in Gears PC.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »
So, I haven't really looked to much into it, but are all the different gun skins available by way of unlockable means? I know that they are the main thing you get from doing stuff in the earlier games, but are all the ones available that way?  Because I've seen people with a number of skins, and I know you can buy them, and I'll admit to not understanding one bit why someone would buy that.  What's 240GP, like $3 right? For something that took one of the art guys probably a couple hours to do.  Maps? Okay, sure, I might pay for something that actually has gameplay additions.  Not much, because I'm cheap and poor, but hypothetically, sure.  Of course, if it is all available though the gameplay, this just looks insane.

Also, I forgot how much I hate shotguns.  I can't hit jack.  Enemies are surgeons.  I am taking forever to get better. 

And Beast is so much fun.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 04:16:26 PM »
You can unlock select few skins by participating in Gears events or other random things. Most of the other ones are unlocked only by ca$h monaaaay.

Learning to combat the endless stream of shotgunners is a steep curve, really you just need to be good at waiting. Gears is not a run-and-gun game unless you're REALLY good at running and gunning. Sit behind cover in a firefight and take potshots at opponents with the hammerburst or retro lancer until you get the feel for how much one needs shooting to go down. Of course, don't sit in the same spot for too long, because they'll find you and shotgun you.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »
Okay, so I bet a fair amount of people are busy with Skydragon killers, or Merry Marvel Marching Society fighting, but I was a-wondering...

My buddy finally got his 360, or rather a new 360 since the deserts of Afghanistan iare murder to a device already prone to heating issues, and I played through the campaign with him.  It was fun.  Lambent 'Zerker was the only part that was not fun, the rest was great, even when it took a number of attempts.  And when we finished, we decided we wanted to go through on Insane, and I told him I knew some guys who we might be able to get to play through 4-player.  You are those guys.  If you're interested, I'll try and get him on here to get a schedule set up.  And at least I know most the guys here are better at games than either of us, carry our sad sacks through it.

And I don't know if you guys have tried it, but Azura multiplayer map is gorgeous.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 08:16:12 PM »
Yeah dude me and LD will do it.

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 11:35:34 PM »
Tell us when to be there.

We should do this quick; beating Insane before Christmas unlocks weapon skins.

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 01:59:12 PM »
The boss of this game was rape-hard, especially compared to other bosses in the game. Gears 1 had a pretty hard end boss too, now that I think about it.

Anyway, NEW MAPS TODAY

Mikey, what's this fourth player's gamertag?

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »
Xsonofolx

I told him to get on here to figure a time, but I don't know what he's doing. If nothing else, how does Monday and/or Tuesday, after 5 est work for you guys? I'll talk to him in a bit, see if he's doing anything this weekend. 

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 10:09:08 PM »
Tuesday is better than Monday for me. I might be out of town Monday evening.

Thanksgibbing is a fun game mode, mostly because I like boomshots.

Also yeah the final boss was pretty hard, and the level leading up to it. Might also be because it was 3:30 AM, but that only contributed a little bit.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:24 PM »
Xsonofolx

If nothing else, how does Monday and/or Tuesday, after 5 est work for you guys?
I'll definitely be there, and talking to bobman37 last night it sounded like he will be too. Get those Lancers oiled up!

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 07:56:13 PM »
No one came. bobman and I will be back tonight at 11:00 PM EST though, probably earlier.

I have a few other players who could sub if Xsonoflolx is the problem.

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »
Sorry, no, I messed up.  I worked later than I thought I would tonight.  I tried getting on here to let you know earlier, but the wi-fi was less than stellar.  Tomorrow, however, will work, already checked with him, and I don't work, so, yea.

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »
k, but I don't think I'll be able to get on Tuesday until 9:00 PM of your far-flung future-time.

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »
I am unavailable tonight from now until 11:15 pm Eastern.

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 02:53:40 PM »
bobman37 has become fed up with Versus now that the n00bs who float from shooter to shooter are all off on Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 and most matches put you up against a hardcore death squad of five Lv. 100 pr0s with clan-type names.

I jumped into Execution last night and my first match was against one of these rape squadrons but my ragtag band of cool br0s and I managed to win 5-4 with good teamwork and communication. I was also peeing my pants laughing because one of them kept talking about how the Gears cover system had taught him how to move so much faster around RL and how all his classmates were impressed how quickly he could wallbounce from class to class.

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »
Sounds kind of whiny but it's true. We were playing last night and I just wasn't having much fun. Here's hoping a ton of n00blets get the game for Christmas.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 04:51:22 PM »
At least that sort of skill advantage is mitigable the way you described in team-based games like Gears. This was Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for a while after launch:

*play ranked*
*get raped in nearly every match by various players who were top-rank in vanilla but are now bottom-rank like everyone else*

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 10:58:56 AM »
I'm soliciting the two open slots for playing 4 player Insane on the QT3 forums. I've had one guy bite already. CMike want another shot? You gotta show up this time though. Plan to start in the very near future, because it'll take a few days probably to complete and I go back to school after new years.

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 12:55:05 AM »
Sure, for real this time. What times should I be expecting? Mon/Weds and weekends I can't get on til way late or the early day. Other days are open all day.

And we all had times of no-show. 

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
I'm not hatin'.

Sounds like this Tuesday then. I'm free all day, LD when are you available? I'll relay to the QT3 dude.

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
Monday - Wednesday I'm busy until midnight. Thursday before 7:00 PM or Friday - Saturday after 4:00 PM I'm available.

All times Mountain.

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 10:34:32 PM »
OK sounds like Friday night then. I'll check with the dude.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 10:36:51 PM by bobman37 »

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »
Let's start tonight at midnight Mountain time. Cool? Post here to say yes/no

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 08:26:36 PM »
Yeah, sure.

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
I hadn't seen the post at the time, but we ended up beating Horde on Normal instead.

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 10:01:47 PM »
And it was a fine learning experience. Retro lancers can just rip through reavers, and Armored Kantus dies by flame.

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 10:17:12 PM »
Yeah that Armored Kantus fire thing was great to find out.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
My copy of the Gears of War 3 LE (which cost less than the standard edition) shipped yesterday. By the time it arrives, I should be partway through the second game's campaign.

So, would anyone be up for the four-player campaign in a week or so?

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 03:50:19 PM »
Definitely. I still need to beat it with 4 people.

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 03:56:10 PM »
You should get really good at Gears so we can play it on Insane.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 11:36:56 PM »
Just finished Gears of War 2 a little bit ago. When will you be ready for four-man co-op in 3, bobman? And do you have a confirmed fourth in case LD can't get one?

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »
I am ready from right now through tomorrow night, with the exception of tonight around 7:00 central.

I do not have a confirmed 4th.

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 03:23:48 AM »
"But you just told me to score points!"

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 11:21:27 AM »
I wish Gears had replays like Halo so I could watch our final successful stand in Act III. All I could see was the endless stream of Former I was shooting; I had no clue what you other three were doing besides nobody was dying like usual.

A truly epic feat of gaming against the uncaring brutality of Insane through practice, planning, and execution.

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »
I finally found a good place to crouch and was pwning d00ds up with my actively reloaded Snub Pistol.

Print