Print

Author Topic: Reserve....NOW: SMG & SSBB  (Read 8064 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: July 22, 2007, 01:00:41 PM »

Ah, walking into GameStop is always fun. I browse around and look at their overpriced game goods, laugh at their signage that's busted up and dusty, and sometimes I even buy a game or two. I walk up to the counter and the kid there recommends to me "Fire Emblem". I would have no problem with this, except for one thing: I walk up with Mario Party 8, I am wearing a Super Mario Bros. t-shirt, and my hat says "Game Over" with the Mario poison 'shroom. Hm, what games should the kid have recommended? See, it's context clues that got me through Spanish class, made me the number one seller of reservations for GameStop in San Antonio (back when I worked there), and also got me to ask the kid, "How about Super Mario Galaxy, is that up for reserve?"

The rest, my friend, is history. The reason you should go ask the same question I did? That way you snag a copy, because the kid will never see it coming. :-)

<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 01:21:25 PM »
I think I'll do the same and reserve myself a copy...while wearing a Mario t-shirt.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 02:32:02 PM »
After giving some thought to my past purchasing habits, I realized I've never preordered anything in my entire life. But is preordering that big of a deal?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 02:35:47 PM by Suffix »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »
Thank you so much for posting this. My GameStop is charging ten dollars for preorders, but they are taking them. I was lucky enough to reach my mom who is at Home Depot to tell her to preorder 'em for me.
I think preordering Brawl at least would be worth it. If I got the last copy of Super Paper Mario when it was released, I have no chance of getting a copy of Brawl without a preorder. Murphy's law surrounds me like a bubble of misfortune.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 04:52:50 PM »
Where are you shopping, though? GameStop never orders barely any copies besides the pre-orders.

If you shop at real stores, there is often ample supply.

Also there's no way I'm pre-ordering from GameStop because I hate their business practices.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 08:32:13 PM »
What LD said.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 09:03:19 PM »
^Ditto.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Super-Jesse

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 09:05:52 PM »
The only problem I have with other places is that they usually don't have the games by the release date, such as Wal-Mart. I go to gamestop simply because I've always gone. I don't particularly like the store. If anything, I'd prefer Fry's, but there aren't any in SA.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 02:25:48 AM »
My local GameStop is pretty subpar, too. They always seem to have everything BUT exactly what I want... But it never occurred to me before that maybe the reason they, like any other retailers of video games around here, never have the games until the Tuesday after release is because they only have enough for the preorderers. So maybe this guarantees I get Galaxy and Brawl on the Mondays.
Heh heh heh... I wonder if it's legal to offer orders before the ESRB rating is even known.
It's YOUR problem!

Super-Jesse

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 08:15:41 AM »
Heh heh heh... I wonder if it's legal to offer orders before the ESRB rating is even known.

That's a good point. However, I think GameStop considers titles like these "safe bets", meaning they will be given an E-T rating. Haha, ET...

Anyway, I can't wait to see the day that it bites them back (What, Zelda rated M?!)

:-)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 08:40:25 AM »
Yesterday I went to my local mall for the first time in several weeks to find that the Software Etc. store where I had all my pre-orders is gone.  No sign or anything.  I wonder if they transfered my stuff to the local GameStop.   I'll find out at ten today and then maybe pre-order SMG.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Super-Jesse

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 09:02:24 AM »
Yesterday I went to my local mall for the first time in several weeks to find that the Software Etc. store where I had all my pre-orders is gone.  No sign or anything.  I wonder if they transfered my stuff to the local GameStop.   I'll find out at ten today and then maybe pre-order SMG.

I far as I know, Software Etc. was transformed into GameStop awhile back..Wow, they just closed it down now though? That's interesting...

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 09:34:39 AM »
There's still a Software Etc. at my local mall.  And yes, I do plan on reserving SSBB, and probably SMG.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 01:19:10 PM »
There's a Software Etc. at my mall, too. I don't think anyone will take the effort to take the neon sign down and replace it with a GameStop sign, anytime soon... Very near the Software Etc. is an EB Games, for some reason--both stores are owned by GameStop. I figure both have been there since before GameStop bought the companies...
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 06:35:19 PM »
My pre-orders were transfered to the local GameStop were I used to work.  They were entering each one by hand which is strange since both stores had recently changed to a Windows database.  I pre-ordered SMG and GHIII w/ guitar for Wii. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print