Print

Author Topic: Creeping Graphical Sameyness  (Read 40344 times)

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 11:05:57 AM »
Come on Nintendo, why not use more unique character designs for the Mario series especially for games like paper Mario.
The difference between characters gives a feeling like theres more out there then what we already have seen in other Mario games.
Personally I like to see dry bones look different in Paper Mario then in all the other mario games.
Same goes for the Blocks.
Has anyone seen my wallet? >.<

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 12:09:37 AM »

Paper Mario

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Paper Mario 3D

This is actually a nice transition, keeping the same colors and everything, but it still bugs me. I've always preferred the SMW Flower design, personally.

(The POW Block is also different)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:11:35 AM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2011, 11:56:13 AM »
Upon closer inspection, the mushroom in that screen looks a tad different than the previous PM games as well. It's stem looks squarer.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011, 02:42:40 PM »

Yep. It now looks exactly like the official render. Because apparently that old version would be too confusing. People would look at it and be like "What the heck is that? It is not a Mushroom; its stem is too long and the dots on the side are too big!"

At this point, I almost wouldn't be surprised if Mario has sclerae by the time the game comes out.

Also, old POW Blocks:

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 02:44:12 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2011, 02:49:11 PM »
Quote from: CrossEyed7

Paper Mario 3D[/center]
l
(The POW Block is also different)
I have no idea why Nintendo thinks that POW Blocks need to look like their orginal version. In NSMBW it was funny. Now it's lazy.

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2011, 10:06:58 PM »
I would rather have the an SMB2 inspired POW, with the word sliding out of/into the frame. That would be awesome.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 10:28:46 PM »
To go with the SMW ? blocks
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »
Wigglers were going to appear in Super Paper Mario, and they would've looked like this:

Now, they're going to be in Paper Mario 3D, looking like this:

Hm. Kind of mixed on this one.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »
The SPM one has the red nose and short length of a YI Flying Wiggler.

The one in PM3DS looks like an almost exact imitation of the SMW manual artwork. Pretty tough choice.

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
The PM3DS one is extremely too long, despite having an awesome design.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2011, 10:36:48 PM »
Usually Wigglers are four segments long. The SPM one seems to only have three (and Flying Wigglers only have two). The Wiggler in that screenshot looks to have about eight or more.

Longest Wiggler we've seen to date?

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2011, 10:44:22 PM »
Excluding the one in 7-3(?) in NSMB?
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2015, 06:52:27 PM »
Other than texture, there's been almost nothing changed in nearly a decade.

Notably, the "M" on the cap looks like a sewn-on patch now.  Looking at all the other parts of the character, which have arguably gotten more plastic, it's a bit out of place.  Like, by by the same token, if they're going to go that route, why is the mustache still made of lumps of 3D modeling clay instead of a lot of individually distinguishable hairs?  I haven't played MP10, is there any particular in-game reason for the boy scout badge "M"?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2015, 08:44:19 PM »
"Almost nothing"? That Wii U Mario model looks at least fifty times less ugly than the GCN Mario model. Why do you want a cartoon character to have distinguishable hairs on his face anyway? That would be creepy as hell.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2015, 09:46:05 PM »
Uncanny valley, Turtle. Sure, there is a middle ground between Mario now and

this. But... to be honest I feel like Mario has more visual identity as-is. I'd put the limit at how the Mario characters look in Smash 4, not wanting to veer off and have Peach and Rosalina look like Disney princesses. I'm tired enough of Disney's samey CGI without any outside help.

Mario Kart 8 is full-stop gorgeous if you ask me. I want that art team on every Nintendo project. Their take on Hyrule is fantastic, their take on Mute City is spectacular, every other track in the game is breathtaking, I love it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print