Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. U  (Read 42002 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 07:50:17 AM »
Can this pleeease just be New Super Mario World?  With a bunch different routes through one giant, cohesive world map, Yoshi being carried between levels, a good flight power up...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »
From the messages, it sounds at least plausible, to say nothing of the clearly SMW-inspired background and more-open world map.  Don't know why this and New Super Mario Bros. 2 were announced so close together.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 09:37:38 AM »
I didn't know you had a girlfriend now, LD.

Dude, seriously. If you don't stop with the nigh-constant misogyny us mods are gonna do something about it.

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »
Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is that warp pipe slanted? You don't see that very often.
I saw it too. I think it's sort of showing off that the Wii U can make things look sort of slanted but it wouldn't be noticeable on the Wii.

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »
Can this pleeease just be New Super Mario World?  With a bunch different routes through one giant, cohesive world map, Yoshi being carried between levels, a good flight power up...
This man still knows what he's talking about.

Anyway, I wouldn't be totally surprised if NSMB2 gets scrapped and ideas from it are used in this game.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »
These screenshots are actually from the last level.

What makes you say that?

Anyway, this looks pretty fantastic. That particular stage seems to alleviate some of the "creeping graphical sameyness" that someone was discussing. Hopefully it's actually the whole game that does stuff like this with the backgrounds and not just this one stage. Although I do wish they would tweak the appearance of Mario and the enemies (and some other foreground stuff) a little; it doesn't need to be major stuff, just enough to make them stand out.

As for the final title of this game, I hope they don't call it "New Super  Mario Bros Mii" because well... I just think it sounds lame. New Super Mario Bros. U and especially New Super Mario World both sound a thousand times better.

I'm hoping that this game will successfully get rid of some of the problems with New Super Mario Bros. Wii. First, and most importantly, Yoshi. I want Yoshi to actually be a big part of this game; finding him in about ten levels and not being able to take him with you in NSMBW is NOT what I consider a big part of the game and definitely noy enough to warrant a spot on the cover. I want to be able to use Yoshi in every level (except maybe ghost houses and castles) and find him relatively easily. Maybe they could put a hub level like the secret area in Super Mario world where you can pick up Yoshi and some power-ups.

I also want to see some cooler, more likable characters. Of course NSMBW had Mario and Luigi, but what about the two random Toads? They had no individuality and no real value. None of my friends ever wanted to play as them. I'd like to see only one toad (with the blue vest and red polka dot mushroom) and someone different as players 3 and 4. If they have to be two toads, at least do something besides palatte swapping that will distinguish them. Oh, and maybe give them some NAMES!

The last issue, probably the smallest (and least likely to be fixed) has to do with story. So basically, the Princess gets kidnapped. We get it, it's been told a hundred times. I'd like to see a decent attempt to make it good (like Super Mario Galaxy) or just start the game without setting up thr premise at all (like Super Mario Bros. 1985). I say this because when they go the whole game revolves around "It's Peach's Birthday so the Koopalings trap her in a cake" it kind of ruins the whole epic journey across the land feeling. I know Mario has always been a light-hearted game that tries not to get too big on story, but when the story is so dumbed down, it kind of ruins the sense of danger.

Don't mean to rant, I'm just hoping some of these issues get fixed.

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 10:57:49 PM »
What makes you say that?

It was a joke, playing off of BP's comment before that
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »
http://e3.nintendo.com/games/#/wiiu/new-super-mario-bros-u

Check it out! Some of the backgrounds remind me of Yoshi's Island, and the style looks a little different than the other NSMB games!
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »
Tezuka: Yes, actually. It's interesting, because the director of New Super Mario Bros. U and some of the staff are people who grew up playing Super Mario World. They really have a lot of good memories about that seamless map it used and they thought this was a good time to bring that back. So yes, it's back.

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
Just saw the new trailer, and I'm sold on the backgrounds. They do look different enough from the last two NSMB games. I love how some of them are animated and they're all pretty unique from one another. I love the "Starry Starry Night" styled one. A lot of the foreground looks nice and distinguished from the old games too; even the ground you walk on looks nice and new.

However, Mario, Luigi, the two Toads (which I'm sad to see), the goombas, koopas, the coins, the water, and those little dancing flowers all look just the same as they always have (not surprisingly). I hope they're just placeholders or something because It'll be disappointing to have recycled character models in these all new, smooth surroundings.

But there were some cool new stuff. I was NOT expecting the baby yoshis, and they were a pleasent surprise. I like how they're able to do things besides eat stuff and grow into big yoshis. I'm REALLY happy, however, to see the acorn power-up, not necessarily because of the flying squirrel power, but because they've finally introduced a power-up that's NOT in the form of a mushroom or flower, The only other ones I can recall were the leaves in Super Mario 3D land (borrowed from SMB3) and the ones that are literally suits.

Overall, I'm impressed. I wish I could say the same for New Super Mario Bros. 2 for the 3DS.

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 09:03:11 PM »
Looks great. It's nice to see the return of Yoshis with colour-specific powers. I wonder if they'll still grow into full-sized Yoshis when fed enough enemies. Squirrel Mario is nifty, but it would've been nice to see some more functionality beyond that of SML2's Rabbit Mario.

From the YouTube comments section [Language warning]:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:09:40 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 09:20:01 AM »
Welp, if this still is anything worth going by, it looks like fully-grown Yoshi will be returning in NSMBU alongside the baby Yoshis.  I really love the new backgrounds and such as well, and it seems like the foreground tiles have been altered at least a decent bit.

On the other hand, New Super Mario Bros. 2's emphasis on coins seems really surprising to me, but it appears there's still some sort of scoring system as well, so I'd be interested to see how it looks on two screens.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:59:19 AM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 10:47:37 AM »
No, he doesn't. Maybe you two should stop being dumb*** sexist ****s in every possible thread. I'm about ready to quit for the same reason as CoconutMikeNIke. Reading the Fungi Forums makes me sick to my stomach daily since it became a nonstop barrage of ******bag misogynistic assclowns like you and WeeGee.
>Harem's been down for three years
>Only ever posts like once or twice a day

Stay rational, bro.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
Please quit doing the greentext thing.

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »
They should have just called it New Super Mario World. It seems more similar to Super Mario World than Super Mario Bros. I mean, it has the seamless map (judging by LD's post anyway), plus the SMW-esque background style, there's already a New Super Mario Bros. game coming out, there are once again multicolored baby Yoshis/Yoshies and the only other Super Mario World game is Yoshi's Island, which was more a prequel and less a proper sequel or the revival of SMB that these games are.
Relics.

Print