Print

Author Topic: So what would you name your kids?  (Read 34805 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »
I want to avoid names that could cause my child to be made fun of.  That takes out most VG character names.  For any VG character names, I want there to be some personal coincidence in it.

Girl: Marin  I love Link's Awakening and Pokemon 2000, and, even though I read in a book of baby names that it was a boy's name, I've always seen Marin as a girl's name.  Oh, and Marin could be derived from Mary, which was the name of an aunt.  My middle name also derives from Mary  I don't think anyone would make fun of her for that name, because Marin has become a fairly obscure Zelda character.  Although if my spouse has some Italian heritage, I might consider Marina.  Middle name could be Charlotte or Charlene after my mom.  I'm not sure about a second girl

Boy: I have no Idea.  I thought about Lincoln, and call him Link for short, but considering my crush on Link, that was immediately shot down.  I'm also thinking Luigi, and call him Lou for shot.  Has a better chance, but it's still kind of a long shot.  I thought of a few options for a middle name: Mario (But NOT if I choose Luigi as the first name), which can derive from my middle name and my aunt's name.  I had a good idea for a boy, but I just completely forgot.  I might just have my spouse name the boy.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 12:37:36 PM »
I'm going to name my kid something that will totally scar him/her for life. Since Jason Lee already took Pilot Inspektor, I'd say Special Ed for a boy, and Fnord the Fearsome Viking for a girl.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 02:01:49 PM »
AIn my family, we name out kids after their grandfathers. My mother defied that by naming me Robert, after my father, while my middle name was Michael, after my grandfather. I guess I'll pull the same stint. Robert Michael Francis Crisalli II has a nice ring to it.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 02:19:41 PM »
Then again, Luigi Mario (whatever my married name is gonna be)  would be an interesting name for a boy.  As long as his peers don't know his middle name.  Just picture this: in the future, my little boy is about to open and slam a glass door of a low rise china hutch.  I yell, "LUIGI MARIO!"  heh heh.  Fun first and middle name combination, but I don't know if I have the heart to do that to my kid.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 03:05:45 PM »
I don't understand why people would want to name their kids after a video game character. That seems sad, and the poor kids would get picked on--or at least stand out--because of it. Same goes for other famous names. I could understand a pet, sure, but not a child. I mean, if I found out I was named after some character or celebrity, I'd be a little insulted and think my parent(s) were crazy, obsessive fans. Now, happening to share a name with one out of coincidence is different; that wasn't intentional by the parents.

Anyway, I'm not really a fan of über-common names (like, consistently within the top-ten names from year to year). Even if the name sounds nice, the extreme commonness ruins it for me. Über-common names may make good middle names, though. I don't really like bizarre or extremely uncommon names, either, unless it strikes me right or it sounds like it wouldn't be "weird" or something. I think I like names that are somewhere between common and unique. On another note, über-common middle names--for either a first or middle name--are just...no. (Ann? Marie? Lynn? Come on, almost every female has one of those names.) Variations or adaptations might be okay.

I've never really thought about specific names for kids (considering that having kids doesn't interest me), but I have thought of some general "guidelines" or simply ideas I like, some of which I've gotten from my parents, some which seem like good sense, and some I've just thought of on my own.

I like the idea of initials spelling out something pronounceable. In other words, one of the names starts with a vowel. (For example, my initials are JAK.) I've always thought acronym-izing names is cool. Makes monograms look kind of weird, but oh well. Of course, you'd have to make sure the initials aren't something unfortunate or that kids would easily find a way to tease.

I also like the idea of the middle name being named after a relative (or possibly family friend), from either their first name or middle name. This includes variations of the name. If it can cover both sides of the family, even better. I personally would rather have the kid's first name not be named after someone('s first name). (Which also means I'm not a fan of Junior-izing. It's unoriginal and gets confusing, especially if they live in the same house. You can honor someone but still be original.)

Aside from liking a name, I'd like it's meaning to be something fitting, as well. A biblical name seems appealing, too.

Sapphira's Naming Rules and Guidelines:
~Avoid names that have too many syllables, letters, and are difficult to spell or pronounce. Remember that your kid and everyone else will have to deal with a long, complicated name their whole life. The exception to this is if you plan on calling them by a nickname of that name (and the only possible nicknames aren't "cutesy"). (For example, if you like the name Elizabeth, but don't like the nicknames Liz, Liza/Lisa, Ellie, or Beth, it's probably a bad idea, because the full name is a pain to say.) Be especially careful if you already have a complicated last name.

~Likewise, avoid names that start with the same or similar sound as your last name. Obvious alliteration and assonance in names just makes a mess of things. Depending on the letters, syllables, and pronunciation, it can even turn into a tongue-twister. *Wonders if anyone will catch the irony.*

~Also avoid names that have multiple common spellings, unless you don't mind people constantly misspelling it (e.g. Catherine vs. Kathryn, Stephen vs. Steven). (Interestingly, I like both of those names, but only the second spellings of them.)

~Don't be redundant. If you name one kid Michael, don't name one Michelle. Same with Christopher and Christina.

...Hahaha, I way overanalyze everything. Anyway, playing something like Sims 2 will really make you think about names. Especially when you (I) put a lot of thought into naming ANYTHING. I like putting a lot of thought into things, obviously. :B
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 03:08:16 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 03:24:24 PM »
^ You have some good points.

... So, let's say you're having a baby.  Tomorrow.  Congratulations, it's a boy!  What do you name him?

Oh, and you're having another baby on Saturday.  Girl.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 04:36:53 PM »
I don't understand why people would want to name their kids after a video game character.

Amen. No one can seriously sit there and say they'll name there kids after something like Sonic the Hedgehog. The kid will be made fun of for the rest of his life.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 11:39:44 PM »
This reminds me of the nutcase who named her daughter? "Yujinaka".
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 12:17:09 AM »
Brillit = Bridget? No. I don't understand why that person didn't start spelling her name the traditional way... It's hard for a people to figure these things out, substitutes were always saying, "Erm... what?"
Those are good guidelines, Sapph. One should be "NO BRITTANY/BRITNI/BRITNEY/WHATEVER." There was this one year in school and we had three Brit-knees in one class, and it was so annoying. There are too may of them. I used to say, "You know what, we should put every Britney in the world on a rocket, send 'em to Mars, and just call it Planet Britney." I still think that. I will let Clark of the Dark push the button to launch the rocket.

-Things I wouldn't name a kid-
-Natasha (Spell it backwards)
-Izan (Same. I told my sister about this made-up name and she thought it was really really cool, and that it was too bad it was a backwards message)
-Any name that obviously belonged to a video game character. That is, I wouldn't do it on purpose. Zelda IS a pretty name, really, but...
-Same for famous person.
-Britney
-S4m Jr. Passing one's name on has always seemed... egotistic to me. Again, I'm strong believer in "whatever floats your boat," so if you like Juniors then have at it.
-Jesus. They always pronounce it "Hey-ZEUS," but that is SUCH a mask. The ironic thing is that most of the people named Jesus I've encountered are troublemakers, to say the least. The last one I meet will not be.
-Same for Angel. Hey, maybe if I named a kid "Demon," they'd be really nice.
-Anything that would result in first initials "L" and "O."
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 06:34:38 AM »
Um... "they" pronounce it hey-ZEUS because Jesus is a totally legitimate Spanish name, and that's how it is pronounced en espanol.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 09:18:34 AM »
I was thinking of what I would really name my kids, assuming "Special Ed" is taken. For a boy, I like the name "Jeffery", and for a girl, "Erin". They're both nice- and normal-sounding, are uncommon enough to be recognizable, and are just common enough to sound like the person who named them hadn't previously considered "Special Ed".
every

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 11:03:11 AM »
I like the name Marin because it can come from my middle name.  I don't see it as a name that obviously belonged to a video game character.  It'd hopefully be more of a coincidence than intentionally naming the child after a Zelda character.  When I get older, I'll probably find a better name for a kid.  I really don't have the heart of intentionally naming my child after a video game character.  That's why I want my spouse to help me with a name; you still have that risk of someone recognizing Marin as a VG character's name, and I don't like any of the ideas I've had for a boy's name.

My school had a kid who was nicknamed Toad, but I have absolutely NO idea where the guys got that from (as far as I know, it doesn't come from Peach's Mushroom Retainer, and I don't see any connection between the kid and the amphibian toad)

I also like the name Louisa.  That might be a better name than Marin because Louisa has little to no intentional VG references.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 12:23:01 PM »
"Toad" is one of those common kid nicknames. If a kid's slightly short or has even a single wart, boom, he's called Toad. I was nicknamed "Donald" a few years back for reasons I still cannot ascertain.
every

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 12:57:11 PM »
I've never really thought of a boy's name, but as for girls I kinda like Lily. It sounds so cute. However, I think my sisters have terrible taste in names. I mean, seriously? Chevy? What the crap?
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 01:59:34 PM »
"Toad" is one of those common kid nicknames. If a kid's slightly short or has even a single wart, boom, he's called Toad. I was nicknamed "Donald" a few years back for reasons I still cannot ascertain.

Meh, around 4th grade people used to call me "The Grinch". That was after the year the live action Grinch movie came out.

Print