Print

Author Topic: New Nintendo DS model?  (Read 16387 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« on: September 28, 2008, 12:56:27 AM »
From Wired: Nikkei: New Nintendo DS Model Adds Camera, Music Playback
Reports out of Japanese newspapers Saturday indicate that Nintendo is preparing to announce a new version of the Nintendo DS hardware in the coming days, one that adds non-gaming functions to the popular portable machine.

Nikkei Net, the online arm of Japan's foremost economic newspaper, reports that the new model will launch this year in Japan and include a camera and music playback. Nikkei's take on the new machine is that Nintendo is moving outside the boundaries of the "game industry" and attempting to create a device that will compete with more general electronics like cell phones.

The machine's wireless communication functionality will also be strengthened by allowing it to connect to "information terminals," possibly allowing a user to find nearby train stations or restaurants using his DS.

Nikkei does point out that the camera function of DS could be integrated with gameplay, by allowing games to use the photos taken with the hardware.

The online version of the story omits a line that is present in a photograph of the print story, which says that the new model will cost less than 20,000 yen (about $188). The DS Lite costs 16,800 yen ($158) in Japan.

Nikkei says the new model will go on sale in Japan first, this year, and that a U.S. release is "being considered."

And there might be more to this new model -- another version of the Nikkei report, since removed, apparently ran on a site called Monex and said that the hardware would have larger screens and be able to transfer data from the Wii or an SD card.

Note that we may not be getting the full picture of the device's capabilities from these reports; note also that the current version of the story does not confirm the two data points in the above paragraph.

Nintendo will hold media briefings in Tokyo and San Francisco on Thursday. Simultaneous media events generally mean some big piece of news is to be announced, so this would seem like a likely topic of discussion.
As much as I'd like to say the Nintendo DS has had its run, it doesn't look like Nintendo will ever let it die. I can't wait to hear more.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 01:27:46 AM »
Awesome. I smell price drop in the original DS and the DS Lite. A new one of which I need.

But it also sounds like this could possibly be a whole new system. The GBA didn't last as long as the DS has, did it?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 01:35:27 AM »
This sounds amazing!
Then I thought it costed much more...Oh, lucky Japanese people! I hope Nintendo will consider also Europe to seel the new NDS, not only Japan and US...
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 02:08:12 AM »
You could always import. Nintendo's handhelds aren't region-locked, so you can play games from Europe on a DS from Japan.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 07:59:28 AM »
I don't like this idea for many reasons. First, everyone who has a Nintendo DS probably already has one by now. Second, it feels like they're creating too many new revisions for the Nintendo DS. There's no need for a camera and other things like that, since everyone probably has them already. A Nintendo DS can't compete with cell phones. They're nothing alike, so I don't know what Nintendo's trying to get at. I bought a Nintendo DS to play its games, not play music or use a camera.

All I know is that IF this comes out, I'm not buying it because it will be a waste of my money.
Hacky, please stop teaming with the computers.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 08:01:08 AM »
All it needs now is the further backwards compatibility that would allow it to play Gameboy games.

Then I'd be sold for sure.

I'd Imagine that if it was going to have a music player, it would need to be quite high of quality, which may also mean the same for the system's games. And long have I been waiting for another "game boy camera"; this just may be it.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 08:44:18 AM »
I don't see how adding music playback and a camera could hurt. I mean, I don't like having to choose between carrying my iPod and my DS, so an MP3-playing DS would rule. And it never hurts to have a camera on hand. This is all assuming that this is:

a) real, and
b) not substantially more expensive than a standard DS or DSL.
every

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 08:54:04 AM »
This camera idea kinda remind me the Gizmondo. Unlike the Gizmondo, however, you don't need to be filthy stinking rich to buy one. That being said, this new DS has lots of potential. I thought of a cool laser-tag game for the Gizmondo using the camera, and the would work perfectly with this new DS (if the camera can show video in real time).

But I'm a bit a worried about buying this new device. I haven't played my DS in almost a year, due to the drought of hardcore games. It'll only be a matter of time until Spongebob and minigame collections come to dominate this new system.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »
"Drought of hardcore games"? SPAC3 INVADERS EXTR3ME, The World Ends With You, FFTA2, N+, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Spore Creatures, FFIV, DQIV (and Izuna 2 and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon if you play Roguelikes)...yeah, none of those games are in any way hardcore whatsoever. Riiight.

I don't need a camera on my game system, and the R4 makes my DS a fully functional MP3 player anyway, so I don't really have any reason to want this device.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 10:08:34 AM »
every

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 01:15:51 PM »
If I were to get a second DS, this would be the kind that I would not mind having.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 03:32:23 PM »
I always love announcements of announcements. *Rolls eyes*

Yeah... I'm not getting it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 04:28:24 PM »
Game systems have too short of a life span as it is. I hope this doesn't end the DS but rather expand it.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 06:51:59 PM »
What griefer though it was a good idea to turn game systems into universal media machines? I will forever hate him.

Also, Fire Emblem DS is coming out soon, and that's a pretty hardcore series.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 07:43:31 PM »
SPAC3 INVADERS EXTR3ME

Not interested.

FFTA2, FFIV, DQIV

Not quite into those super-hardcore type of RPGs and they don't seem to do anything different from other RPGs/strategy games..

N+

Too hard, plus isn't it just an upgrade of a free flash game?

Spore Creatures

Uh...

Kirby Super Star Ultra, The World Ends With You

They look good, but two games can hardly solve a drought (plus, didn't the latter come out months ago?).

Thank you for the suggestions, though.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Print