Print

Author Topic: Vivian = Male? (Paper Mario)  (Read 22368 times)

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« on: August 29, 2009, 10:49:12 PM »
Okay, I just read on Tv Tropes (great website btw) that Vivian was male in the Japanese version of Thousand Year Door.

Is this true?
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:28:41 PM »
Yes. There should be a website that documents, among other things, the changes between the Japanese and English versions of Mario games. I'd read the heck out of it, and join their forums.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 11:35:03 PM »
Are you genuinely asking this question because you want to clear up some confusion or are you asking because you realized you've made some horrible mistakes with those images saved in your computer?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:40:44 AM »
My God at least Birdo kinda looks passible for a boy!
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 01:01:24 AM »
To be fair, he/she did have quite a gut for a spirit.

Also, the lack of visible eyes doesn't help matters much.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 10:46:41 AM »

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »
Gender-bending is actually an everyday occurrence in mainstream Japanese entertainment. See also: Poison, Bridget, Birdo and Futanari.-- DON'T

Well, on second thought, feel free to ask my associate Mr. Wiggles about that last one.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 02:58:55 PM »
"Well... nobody's perfect."
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 06:33:45 PM »
So...

What about Beldam and Marian just for curiosity sake?

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
No, they're both girls. Vivian is the only boy.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 06:57:42 PM »
+10 internets to ShadowBrain for that reference.

I know that the issue has been tread upon a million times before, but still: Are technically-male characters like Birdo and Vivian actually portrayed as males in Japan? Like, do contemporary Mario titles refer to Birdo as a boy despite her his ITS implied relationship with Yoshi?

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 07:57:40 PM »
I feel sorry for Yoshi. They stuck him with the ugliest Mario character ever. A cute female Yoshi with a bow on her head would've been better despite being a tad cliched.

Hell, even Wario has Mona and he's really ugly.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 08:03:43 PM »
http://themushroomkingdom.net/birdo.shtml

Remember when people who came here knew what was on the site?

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 08:19:09 PM »
Long story short: She was a he until Nintendo found Americans not to like he-shes, after which he/she became commonly known as a she, as if she had never been a he in the first place.

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 09:43:02 PM »
Uh, no. Brawl says Birdo is "indeterminate gender" and Captain Rainbow has actual plot related to Birdo and his man-voice/vibrator.

Print