Print

Author Topic: NOA Localization Team questions  (Read 5076 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 12:19:56 AM »
Yes, I asked BUB (see above), but he didn't know anything.  I asked several other NOA employees, but didn't even get answers.

The Localization Team is not scheduled to chat again, but if I see one of them I will ask about.

- Fawful dialog
- The Eternal Star sign texture
- Pikmin 2 Japanese/US

I also asked questions about the NEW Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64 x 4, and Kid Icarus, but didn't get answers.

I did find out that Zelda 2005 will have a playable demo at E3 next year and may be released next fall.  I expected that, but some people made a big deal about it.  Maybe the Revolution will have Zelda 2005 and Mario 128 next fall.  Who knows?

The biggest thing that I have learned from Camp Hyrule is that Nintendo has a lot of fans who don't know the hole between their buttocks from a hole in the ground.  Talking with them was like peeing in the wind while being repeatedly slapped with fish.

Edit: Corrected a typo.

Edited by - Luigison on 8/20/2004 11:28:17 AM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2004, 12:13:51 PM »
I concur.

"A person is a person, no matter how small."- Horton the Elephant
This is a secret coded message.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2004, 12:16:47 PM »
"Talking with them was like peeing in the wind while being repeatedly slapped with fish."

^ I hate when that happens.

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 12:24:54 PM »
.....Wait, that happens regularly with you guys?

I thought that just happened to me...
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 01:15:53 PM »
Deezer, about the Fawful dialog this is the only answer I have got so far.

LUIGISAN
NOA_, Do you know where the dialog for Fawful came from?  What inspired his sayings like, "I have fury!", and "Mustard of doom"?

NINTELLIGENT
LuigiSan - it comes from nintendo's rediculous localization team and how they make no sense

NINTELLIGENT does not work for the NOA Localization Team or any part of NOA.  His answer didn't help anyway.

Don't forget to check out the Reggie chat today at 1 PT if you're registered for Camp Hyrule.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2004, 02:48:16 PM »
The Reggie chat is over, but I have it all imaged.  I have to go for a while, but I will post the entire chat session when I get back and have time to edit the images for better viewing here.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2004, 04:47:38 PM »
Transcription from another forum:

NOA_ANDY: *opens the Amphitheater curtains.
NOA_ANDY: And now, for the moment you've all been waiting for! It's my pleasure to introduce to you Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo's Executive Vice President, Sales and Marketing. Welcome to Camp Hyrule, Reggie!
NOA_REGGIE: hey there!
NOA_TAYLOR: Hi Reggie!
NOA_ANDY: Before we get going, could you please explain to our campers what it means to be the EVP of Sales and Marketing at Nintendo?
NOA_JUMPMAN: Hi Reggie*CLAP*
NOA_REGGIE: Well, first its one of the coolest jobs around
NOA_REGGIE: I get to set the direction for all the activity that the players see in the marketplace
NOA_REGGIE: and to have first crack at all the games!
NOA_ANDY: Nice!
-MAGIC-: Hi! I was wondering what is your favorite feature on the Nintendo DS and what feature you think will be most popular with people who buy the DS. Thanks!
NOA_REGGIE: My favorite feature is the touch screen
NOA_REGGIE: that's because of all the great new games and gameplay that is being done
NINTENDOFANBOYX: To Reggie: How does Nintendo plan on advertising the DS? Will Nintendo go for a more underground or mainstream approach?
NOA_REGGIE: We'll do a bit of both
NOA_REGGIE: we are doing some very interesting things right now with SP and GameCube
NOA_REGGIE: we'll contiune to push the envelop with DS, but to also do very underground, far out things as well
NOA_REGGIE: I can't share all the detail right now ... trust me it will be innovative!
MUKUSIX: How does Nintendo plan to seperate the Nintendo DS and the Game Boy Advance line from one another? It seems like the DS is far superior being able to play AGB games. How are they going to be marketed differently to make it clear to the consumer that Nintendo DS and AGB are differnent platforms or as you like to say, differnt pillars.
NOA_REGGIE: On GameBoy, that product right now is mass ... meaning we've sold 22 Million Advance and SP units
NOA_REGGIE: the people that don't have GameBoy Advance are younger players, and late adopters
NOA_REGGIE: so, we'll push that part of the market for GameBoy ... keeping it cool and approachable for the mass, mainstream audience
NOA_REGGIE: For DS, it will be more targeted
NOA_REGGIE: Going after the early adopter ... and an older consumer
NOA_REGGIE: That's because the gameplay is more complex ... leading to more complex games
NOA_REGGIE: So the consumer here will be older, willing to pay more for the latest technology, and wanting games that are a bit more advanced
MUSTARDOFYOURDOOM: Reggie, what convinced you to work for nintendo?
NOA_REGGIE: I'm a big Nintendo fan from way back starting from SNES.
NOA_REGGIE: So for me, helping to grow this company was a very exciting opportunity.
NOA_REGGIE: And, I thought given my experiences in other young businesses, I could bring lots of fresh thinking and new ideas to Nintendo.
GAMECUBEVIC: Do you think that Halo 2 will over-shadow Metroid Prime 2?
NOA_REGGIE: As a gamer, I enjoy playing a wide variety of games, and it's clear that no two games are the same. So, Metroid Prime2 will be very different from Halo2.
NOA_REGGIE: Metroid Prime2, at its heart, is a great Samus game where unlocking the puzzles and thinking about the adventure is an important part of the experience.
NOA_REGGIE: It's not simply a "go into a room and shoot everything in sight" type of game... which is what Halo is to me.
NOA_REGGIE: So even though Metroid Prime2 has a great multiplayer element, which is brand new to the Metroid franchise, at its heart it will still be a very different game from our competition.
NOA_REGGIE: Plus, the way we are marketing Metroid Prime2 is to make sure that it stands out from all of the other gaming clutter, and to make it hugely successful in the marketplace.
NINTENDOMATT63: Mr. Reggie Fils-Aime were you always a great speaker? Cause I'm pretty sure everyone would agree that every time you speak it is just pure genius. Also how do you study the product you advertise?
NOA_REGGIE: I think the reason I have such passion for Nintendo and this industry is because I've been playing lots of games for the last 15-20 years.
NOA_REGGIE: What you hear when I speak is this passion... and I'm glad it comes out sounding "pure genius."
NOA_REGGIE: The folks I work with would just tell you I'm an every day guy... that's just having loads of fun.
NOA_REGGIE: ...my kids would say that too.
FROBRO3000: Hi Reggie. I've seen the new commercials, which advertise 3rd party games. Will we see large ad campaigns for RE4, the biggest 3rd part game to ever hit the GC?
NOA_REGGIE: We are working with Capcom right now on the advertising and marketing direction for RE4. We both have huge expectations for this game.
NOA_REGGIE: The new GameCube spots on air right now featuring Metroid Prime2, RE4, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, are an example of how we want to make sure our advertising and marketing speaks to the core gamer.
NOA_REGGIE: I hope all of you like these new spots.
WINGS19: Reggie, Nintendo has been one of the most popular companies of the past twenty years or so. Since you've been there, what has been the most rewarding aspect of your job?
NOA_REGGIE: I have to say, it's doing stuff like this and speaking at E3.
NOA_REGGIE: I love talking with and getting feedback from our consumer... hearing about the things we do and hearing about the things we can do better.
NOA_REGGIE: That's how I learn every day.
NOA_REGGIE: The other rewarding part of my job is seeing the improving sales on GameCube and Game Boy which lets me know we are being successful in the marketplace.
MARIO_MAN13: When can we expect some Nintendo DS kiosks? Or maybe even just some special playtests?
NOA_REGGIE: We're working really hard to finalize the software for DS.
NOA_REGGIE: As soon as we complete that work, we'll begin communicating the titles and all of the other launch information for DS.
NOA_REGGIE: We hope to get playable demos and interactives in front of consumers before too long.
BURNING-STAR: Reggie do you think that Pikmin 2 will be a great hit?
NOA_REGGIE: We think Pikmin2 will be one of the huge titles of the holiday season. We just finished the new advertising for Pikmin2...
NOA_REGGIE: AND IT'S GREAT!
NOA_REGGIE: The advertising is really funny and captures the spirit of this very unique game.
NOA_REGGIE: The advertising will start in about a week. And I'm sure all of you will love it as much as I do.
HARKLAN: Which genre do you think will be the most popular in 2005? (RPGs, Fighting, Shooters, etc)
NOA_REGGIE: For us, I think we will do well in RPGs, Shooters, and unique puzzle games...
NOA_REGGIE: because these genres can really be shown off on Nintendo DS.
NOA_REGGIE: Plus, genres like Sports and Racing games, can have a real unique game play on DS too.
NOA_REGGIE: So, I guess the genres that will do the best are the ones that will have games on Nintendo DS...
NOA_REGGIE: because DS will be the game to have this holiday season and all through 2005.
PRINCESSZELDA789: Hey Reggie! I was just wondering what you think of the new GCN Zelda that's coming out next year.
NOA_REGGIE: The new GCN Zelda will undoubtedly be the biggest console game of 2005.
NOA_REGGIE: That's because it will leverage everything that makes Zelda unique...
NOA_REGGIE: plus have the more mature Link and new fighting abilities to appeal to even the most jaded hard-core gamer.
NOA_REGGIE: So, based on everything I've seen, the game will be just HUGE.
MISTERHERO: What do you mean when you said you want a Mario more relevent to today's teens? How and why should he be changed?
NOA_REGGIE: I think that today's teens are looking for unique games and unique game play...
NOA_REGGIE: just like I was 15 years ago.
NOA_REGGIE: When SuperMario first came out, it was a WOW for gamers of that generation.
NOA_REGGIE: When Mario64 came out, it was a WOW for that generation.
NOA_REGGIE: We need, and will create, a Mario game that WOWs this generation.
JC29: Is there a release date for the Nintendo Revolution? Thanks in advance!
NOA_REGGIE: We are hoping to share lots of information on Revolution during E3 2005.
NOA_REGGIE: But, we believe that we have lots of opportunity still on GameCube.
NOA_REGGIE: So for us, the big question is how we manage growing our GameCube business with launching new technology and new game play with Revolution.
NOA_REGGIE: We are committed to launch Revolution at the same time our key competitor moves to the next console cycle.
NOA_REGGIE: And Revolution will truly bring new, "never been done before" aspects to the industry.
NOA_REGGIE: Stay tuned!
BOUNCERBOY15: How do you feel about Nintendo's position on the market?
NOA_REGGIE: That's a tough question...
NOA_REGGIE: On one hand, I am pleased that we are growing market share and that the business overall is very healthy.
NOA_REGGIE: Game Boy Advance represents almost 18% of the total market and it has much more room to grow.
NOA_REGGIE: The new Metroid bundle is selling very strongly and of course, everyone is waiting for DS.
NOA_REGGIE: But, I am not satisfied being number 2 in the total industry.
NOA_REGGIE: And I'm not satisfied with our position in the console segment.
NOA_REGGIE: So, we have a few tricks up our sleeve to drive share, both now and when we launch DS.
NOA_REGGIE: My committment to all the Nintendo fans is to grow the business with great games and great new game play.
NOA_REGGIE: This is the innovation that Nintendo has always been known for, and why I'm so passionate about making the gamer say "Wow!"
AGENT079: If you weren't involved the gaming indusrty, what might you be doing instead?
NOA_REGGIE: Scuba diving in Hawaii, which is what I hope to be doing after the successful launch of the Nintendo DS!
ANUBIS: Hello. Did you think that when you came out and spoke at the E3 press conference that you would get so much press? Things like all the fan sites and publicity.
NOA_REGGIE: Never in a million years did I think the fan sites and websites would happen the way it did after E3.
NOA_REGGIE: To me, Nintendo had great games and great information to share during this E3.
NOA_REGGIE: I was lucky enough to be the one delivering all this great news.
NOA_REGGIE: Plus, I guess my energy and passion for Nintendo came out... and the gamers really sparked to that.
NOA_ANDY: OK, let's wrap it up with one final question ...
TORCH665: Mr. Fils-Aime, you've been quoted as saying, "9 have tried and 9 have failed". How can you be so sure that the DS won't fail?
NOA_REGGIE: First, the "9 have tried, 9 have failed" comment is reality.
NOA_REGGIE: I actually owned an old Game Gear and saw how weak that product was both because of battery life and the lack of great games.
NOA_REGGIE: I spent time at the Nokia booth during E3 and for myself saw the problems that they are experiencing right now...
NOA_REGGIE: no great games, small screen, a hybrid product that doesn't do much very well.
NOA_REGGIE: I've been lucky enough to see a lot of detail on DS.
NOA_REGGIE: Plus, as a consumer, I think I know what gamers want.
NOA_REGGIE: So my confidence for DS is based on having great games from us and our third-party developers.
NOA_REGGIE: With over 120 games in development, with titles like Madden and Rayman, I know we'll have great games.
NOA_REGGIE: Plus, with 2 screens, touchscreen, wireless, voice recognition I know that we will bring new game play to consumers as well.
NOA_ANDY: Well that was awesome, Reggie. On behalf of everyone at Camp Hyrule, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to stop by the Amphitheater. It's been great.
NOA_REGGIE: I've had a lot of fun. Thanks for the opportunity to share some information on DS and all of our other great projects.
NOA_ANDY: See ya later!
NOA_ANDY: *closes the curtain.

Edited by - Deezer on 8/20/2004 3:49:59 PM

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2004, 07:44:26 PM »
Thanks Deezer.

That transcipt left off the first question that was basicly "Will the DS play GB/GBC games?"  The question was posted a few minutes early so Reggie may not have saw it.

It has been confirmed that the DS will not have the Z80 chip that the GameBoy systems use to play the GB/GBC games.  It has not been said if the DS will emulate the chip or not, but the later is probably true.

It is also widely known and confirmed that the DS will have at least two types of wireless abilities, but it is not known if it will wirelessly connect GBA games or to GBA systems using a wireless adaptor.

Print