Poll

What do you primarily use the internet for?

Communication
6 (50%)
Research
2 (16.7%)
Media
2 (16.7%)
Online Video Game Competing
1 (8.3%)
Other
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Print

Author Topic: What Gets Your Internet In A Bunch?  (Read 4115 times)

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
I use the internet to insult minors online so I can feel better about myself; this falls under the category "Communication."

How about you?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 09:09:06 PM »
I'm not sure I get that picture...

Well, usually, I go online for news and entertaining articles in the areas of my fancy, so "Other". However, within your specific poll options, I'd actually have to say "communication", even though all I really do to communicate online is post here and send e-mails. Still, I never really watch videos unless I'm at my dad's workplace or somewhere else with fast internet, I don't really play PC games (online), and research is limited to when I need it for a school project.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »
I spend a big chunk of my time online on these here forums.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 02:02:43 PM »
I use the internet to insult minors online so I can feel better about myself; this falls under the category "Communication."

Same here, except I also target women and minorities.

Also, I may qualify for distribution since I love downloading and uploading a plethora of media that anyone can enjoy.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 02:22:29 PM »
I'm not sure I get that picture...

You are supposed to laugh at the stupid high price for setting up a game console that you already paid a stupid high price for.

Anyway, I choose Online Video Game Competing because me and my bros like to hop on our respective internets and cruise the web so we can own noobs with our mad skillz and then celebrate by watching Spike TV and drinking Red Bull Energy Drink while we watch Spike TV. The best part isn't beating the game, it's showing everyone else online that you did. Play Beyond.
every

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 04:22:11 PM »
EDIT: LOL, Parksinson's disease

I picked "Communication" because not only do I target women, minorities and [fellow] minors, but I insult them on the internet as well.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:35:13 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »
I forgot to vote, ya cornhole.
every

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 12:07:54 AM »
Mainly technology news (new computer advancements, the latest Microsoft lawsuit, IGN hyping some new videogame, what crazy thing Jack Thompson has done now).

Second is watching the Nostalgia Critic or AVGN (or Let's Play of bad Mario romhacks). And the occasional Homestar Runner since Strong Bad always manages to make up a new word that makes me laugh.

Third is YouTube videos of copyrighted stuff, downloading pictures, and posting on this forum. I haven't been posting over at the Long Patrol Forums since it's a long wait to the next Redwall book, so... here I am.

Only rarely do I use it for actual research. Pretty much the only research I do is whether something's been illegally uploaded to the Internet yet.
You didn't say wot wot.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 02:15:06 PM »
Posting here, playing video games of no specific sort, and discovering new musical artists.
every

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »
I would say communication, although media comes in a close second. I'm usually on a forum when I'm on the Internet (I'm not at many forums, so I spend more time at each). I also occasionally watch videos or download stuff when I want/need to.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 05:11:01 PM »
Well, I suppose if "research" counts "looking up movies and words that confuse me on Wikipedia", then I definitely do that every now and then.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 05:19:57 PM »
I do each of those things in large amounts every single day so I can't choose just one.

Anyone else notice that this thread's title doesn't actually make sense?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 06:04:06 PM »
I initially assumed--and somewhat still do every time I see it--that it was going to be about things that either clog bandwidth or irritate us.

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »
I use it mostly for research since I'm in college, study both education and psychology, and am in the process of writing an honors thesis. Communication would come second for me since I have found that e-mail and social networking is convenient and easy. I can't say I use it much for media--I do buy songs on iTunes to use on my iPod but I'm a sucker for CDs since I like having liner notes with lyrics, enjoy the portability of the format, and still get a thrill out of going to a music store and buying a new album. I do shop online sometimes but only for certain items--if it's something like clothing or shoes I'd rather try it on in person and if it's something big I'd rather just pick it up than have it shipped for a huge amount of money. (This would be something like a TV).

Aside from MarioKart Wii I don't use the internet for gaming. I'd rather play with folks sitting next to me, not 100 miles away from me, because human-to-human interaction has always been the great part about multiplayer games.

Lately I've been using it as a TV substitute as well. I like getting the news online since I can pick and choose what I want to hear (I hate watching the TV news--if I have to hear about something trivial like John and Kate one more time I'm going to blow a gasket). If I'm working at my desk I'll use the online game trackers from NHL, MLB, and NFL to see what my favorite teams are doing if I can't actually watch the game due to other work (believe me, if I could watch hockey every night instead of work I probably would). I've used the online weather since it was a feature on AOL; the same goes for stock quotes (way back in middle school I played the stock market game so I used to check quotes online al the time and still do since I own some stock these days).

I honestly don't watch much, if any, TV outside of news, weather, and sports. I'd rather be playing video games since I hate just sitting around with nothing to do.

Print