Print

Author Topic: Diamond/Pearl - Let's Get The Starters  (Read 7274 times)

« on: April 23, 2007, 08:41:43 PM »
This thread is dedicated to helping us (me) get the first 9 slots of the Sinnoh Pokédex filled. This has always been one of the most dastardly parts of the series, but now we have the internet on our side.

Don't post friend codes here - do it in this thread. This thread is dedicated to seeing who has what starter and WFC access. If you're doing this, try not to evolve your starter until you've cross-traded it to the rest of the group (but once we have a group with all three starters and we've got that level of evolution complete, feel free).

Also, if anyone is using another copy of the game to "farm" starters, you could let us know and dish those out instead.

I have TURTWIG and await your responses.

-------------

TURTWIG - Lizard Dude

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:43:22 PM »
I haven't checked out the online scene and don't know how available these are. This thread may prove pointless. After meeting its purpose it could also be used as a specific trade/online discussion where the normal Pokémon thread could be for general talking about the games/series.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:20:07 PM »
It may be worth noting that once we get further into the game, breeding becomes available as well. As far as I know, you're able to trade eggs via WiFi as well. This shouldn't be a very difficult issue to deal with.

For the record, I chose Piplup, but it has already evolved into a Prinplup.

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 09:51:06 PM »
I have both Diamond and Pearl and two DS's. If I wanted to get a different starter, I could just trade to one, start a new file, and get a different one.

I'd give out free starters for everyone if only I had a home Wi-Fi connection.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 10:58:58 PM »
Oh, you can have baby starters? I've only played Red and FireRed so I'm a newbie to breeding, really. What do you have to mix with your starter? Something of the same type?

Br26

• Ping timeout
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 11:26:03 PM »
serebii.net has a breeding list you can check out.

although, your starter needs to be a female in order to get the baby turtwig. that, or getting a Ditto, which I don't think is in the Sinnoh region.
Im sorry mario, but our princess is in another castle! He He, just joking!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 06:13:30 AM »
 Yep, you can breed the starters. As Br26 has stated, there are a lot of different combinations for breeding, but unless there's a specific move that I'm trying to breed onto the new Pokemon, I usually stick with Ditto, as it can breed with any type of Pokemon that is able to produce an offspring.

If Ditto's unavailable in Diamond and Pearl, then it's just a matter of trading them from Leaf Green / Fire Red. I'd be more than happy to send out a few if some of you do not have a copy of the GBA games, when I progress enough to enable Pal Park.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 03:23:01 PM »
For reference, I have a Chimchar (actually a Monferno now, name is Chorizo). I'll check to see if it's a female (I can't remember right now). Even if it isn't, I'd trade it for another starter Pokemon to help my Pokedex.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 11:02:52 PM »
It think your starter is always the same sex as you. I could be wrong but I've never had a female.

I heard from a different forum that certain type of Pokémon keep track of which country they're from, so you can get starters and other valuable stuff by trading a Magikarp or something to the Japanese. It's valuable to them because after six months of the game being out there, they can finally work on their international (IRL) Pokédex.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 05:00:35 PM »
LD, unless they changed it for D/P, the starter isn't always the same gender as you; the odds of getting a female starter are somewhat low (nowhere near as low as chances of shiny), regardless of character gender. For the record, my brother has restarted FireRed quite a few times, and has never gotten a female starter. Same for Ruby.

I figure I'll be unable to help with this quest until at least two months from now (three if I get Tetris DS in that time), when it'll probably be too late...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 05:10:05 PM by WarpRattler »

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 09:08:43 PM »
WarpRattler's right: I can't tell you how many times I restarted Sapphire to get a female Torchic. Of course, that was before I started picking Treecko all the time instead.

This is just an opinion, but I think there should be more female Piplups than males, as to slightly mirror the emperor penguin gender ratio.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 03:16:59 PM »
I probably should've said my brother plays as a female character to clarify what I meant...^^;

Unless we win this auction (bidding on a copy of Tetris DS), I'm buying Diamond this week, and start breeding guys some number of hours after I get the game (in other words, when I have Pal Park). I'll just need to borrow a friend's USB thing so I can start sending out starters...

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »
I have a female Piplup, in case anyone wants one.

Don't expect me to have some ready yet though, as I barely started my game and probably won't be online much. I do have Wi Fi access now through my friend, who has a wireless connection at his house. Hopefully I'll get my friend code soon.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 12:45:26 PM »
Mr. Wiggles, I could breed it quickly and then send it back. I could even raise it a few levels (but only if you wanted me to). But you've got to beat the first gym to get WFC abilities, I think.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 01:32:50 PM »
As previously stated in the chatroom, in the days following Wednesday (when I get the game), I will start sending out Ditto to those who need them for breeding. Supplies will be limited, due to how Pal Park works. If Black Mage sends them out as well, each of us should only need to use one day's worth of Pal Park transfers...

Print