Poll

Have you ever (legitimately) beaten Super Mario Brothers (the original)?

Yes
25 (64.1%)
No
14 (35.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Print

Author Topic: Did you ever beat Super Mario Bros?  (Read 17882 times)

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2007, 08:32:28 PM »
I have beat the original, though I never did beat it until after Mario All*stars came out (long after, as in 3 to 4 years, I think). I saw other people beat it, though. Does that count?

I have finished it with no warps, then with warps, then in multiple forms (small Mario, big Mario, fire Mario, Luigi..), and in multiple fashions (Nes, Super Nes, GBC, Gamecube, Wii).

.. and to keep up with the topic (or rather, the off topic): my screen name usually derives from what I am, or who my favorite character is (I am known as SuperMarioFan at GameFAQs, and Toad here, the only two forums that I visit).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2007, 01:15:11 AM »
It's amazing how fast topics can derail, but I'm not complaining.

I love my screen name.  I came up with it when I needed a name for playing Warioware because my actual name is longer than 5 characters.  So I typed "Fwirt" and I liked it.  Plus, most people eventually ask me what it means, to which I reply, "Nothing."  Vidgmchtr thinks it sounds like a beverage. :P

Always start your day with a tall glass of refreshing Diet Fwirt!
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 02:51:33 AM »
Diet's gross. I prefer Cherry Fwirt.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 11:26:26 AM »
Cherry Fwirt, huh? Where does one go to obtain this beverage? *laughs*
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2007, 12:14:03 PM »
I like Fwirt with Grenadine. That's the tasty way of having Cherry Fwirt.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2007, 04:13:34 PM »
Cherry Fwirt, huh? Where does one go to obtain this beverage? *laughs*
You have to go somewhere w/o Wi-Fi.....

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 08:17:51 PM »
I voted before I realized that I had beat the All-Stars version, but I did beat an emulated version on my GBA.

Well, I did get a Game Over, does it still count as legimate?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 09:01:51 PM »
I tried the other day; About late 6s is about as far as I got.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2007, 03:38:16 PM »
I sadly have yet to beat the original Super Mario Bros. I'll keep trying, though. I believe the farthest I've ever gotten was World 7-3, without any warp pipes (which is how I would like to beat the game.) I have, however, beaten New Super Mario Bros.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2007, 03:44:45 PM »
I love New Super Mario Bros, don't get me wrong, but the ability to save (along with the fact you can get 5 lives in about 20 seconds each time you enter World 1-1) made it too easy.

I tried beating Super Mario Brothers a while back and lost on world 8-2, though I do remember beating it before.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2007, 05:03:53 PM »
Being able to save made it easy? You think you should have been forced to play it all the way through in one sitting? Remember that it is a DS game.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »
If you keep doing World 1-1 over again, it is very easy to go through the game in one setting. That is, if you don't get tired.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2007, 07:30:31 PM »
I'd get tired of doing 1-1 over again. Besides, that wouldn't be enough time to actually complete the game (open all routes and spend all Star Coins).
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2007, 07:40:21 PM »
Hang on... how does going through 1-1 over and over make the game any easier? Lives? When Deezer sees that, he'll be loooloololllllloloolollllooooloolllollolllllololoooolooooing all over the place!!
Lives have no meaning anymore... You get a 1-Up and then what, throw it in the pile with the other 36...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2007, 07:43:57 PM »
Okay, here's the trick so that you guys don't laugh anymore.

Go through the stage and hit the block with the Mega Mushroom. Let it run all the way to the edge, and right when it's about to fall, grab it and crash through the corse. You will get 5 lives if you move fast enough. Trust me, this is how I've gotten 99 lives easy.

EDIT: Whoops. Never mind, I guess you guys weren't laughing at the trick, rather you were laughing at the fact that it is easy to win lives in the game normally.   :P

Well, there's the trick for those who wanna use it anyway.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 07:47:37 PM by OrangeYoshi »

Print