Print

Author Topic: Brawl's Ups and Downs  (Read 99448 times)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #240 on: April 15, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »
Scissors don't fix EVERYTHING.

Some things they should have done...

-Should've made it so any character could ride Wario's Bike (which could be a disadvantage to Wario, but would make for some sweet screenshots)

That would really take out the uniqueness of that move. Would be like making other characters swallow and copy abilities like Kirby does.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #241 on: April 15, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »
Aah! I just remembered an awesome little detail from the original that hasn't been in the series since. Play a team battle (preferably on a stage where shadows will be easy to see, such as Sector Z) and your character's shadow will match the color of your team. Pretty negligible, but it was so cool.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #242 on: April 17, 2008, 11:56:37 AM »
Ups: NICE character selection, I still haven't tried some characters; return of the Hyrule Temple; SSE makes unlocking characters easy so I can get on with the game.

Downs: The entire game was slowed down, I miss the fast and frenzied pace of Melee; 3 words: NEW. PORK. CITY.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2008, 09:05:04 PM »
Aah! I just remembered an awesome little detail from the original that hasn't been in the series since. Play a team battle (preferably on a stage where shadows will be easy to see, such as Sector Z) and your character's shadow will match the color of your team. Pretty negligible, but it was so cool.

That was a nice little detail, wasn't it..

Something that I noticed in Brawl was that you  can change your team color in much the same manner as picking out costumes: tap the character, or press the X or Y buttons. You don't have to use the upper left corner of the block anymore.

Here's an unrelated downside for the game: you can't pause to get a screenshot of the character entrances, which made their triumphant return in this game (after being absent from Melee).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2008, 11:29:22 PM »
Brawl's speed is perfect. Bros. was very slow. Melee was WAAAY too fast. Brawl is in between. When you get hit and your percentage is up there or you shield and get hit you and the enemy or whatever hitting you freezes so you can kinda figure out what's happening instead of the insane speed of Melee. Also, you do attacks insanely fast until they make contact and slow down, which I enjoy very much.

Up: Everything, music is mind-blowing . Pretty much blows Galaxy out of the water, although Galaxy's songs were amazing. Being able to air dodge and keep attacking. They made Luigi pretty hilarious in this one. His taunts are nostalgic... especially the one where he crouches down cuz that's what he does when you get a bogey in Mario Golf for those of you who remember.

Down: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE RED SHELL?!??! Did anyone notice that? Even in Subspace they just roll and don't hone in. Luigi's voice is yeah... not Mario's, but he kinda sounds girly, but whatever I'm used to it. I actually use Luigi the most instead of Mario... ever since the FLUDD addition I just can't get used to that. I'm still thinking Melee... and when Mario does his "air meteor smash" where his fist gets huge it doesn't sound like it hurts anymore like it did in Melee.... and the fact that Mario's voice has been killer Galaxy-ized. I do like his side taunt "hoo hoo" and his mid air "hoo hoo" finally changed though.

A big down: Wi-fi. I haven't played with friends yet, but I still get the crappy fights. It has never been fast and even when it's at it's fastest it is still delayed by half a second which is annoying. I have a completely awesome connection with no interference. But get this: when I spectate other peoples' fights it runs perfectly like nothing's even going on.. which bugs me. Oh, and the fact that when a person pings out during a fight you can DEFINITELY tell a Level 2 or 3 computer has taken their place since the idiotic way the computer fights.

Does anyone know where a friend code thread is around here?
Formerly quite reasonable.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2008, 11:33:28 PM »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2008, 11:34:28 PM »
You're crazy. The fully orchestrated original compositions of SMG greatly outdo most tracks on the all-synth Brawl soundtrack, with few exceptions.

Spectating is just watching replay files. There's no realtime connection involved. Also, if your connection is so awesome, then the people on the other end don't have a great one, or they're too far away. I can get totally perfect matches with the right people.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:36:41 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2008, 11:41:50 PM »
Ah, drat, I forgot to mention the synth vs. full orchestra, even though I noticed it before the link was asked for.

My position is this: while Brawl has a fantastic AMOUNT of music, I can hardly consider it to be better than Galaxy in the music department because they slacked off in the performances. It's not like they needed to match the music to the courses: even the music that does match the courses is synced through sections and not gameplay. They really should have had at least as much real instruments as Melee-- or at least, the same orchestration-to-synth ratio as Melee. Actually, even a quarter of Melee's real/fake ratio would have provided a decent amount of performances.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2008, 11:50:10 PM »
I'm not belittling electronic music in the least because everyone knows how much of it I listen to, and letting so many composers arrange classic game music is definitely awesome. But they should (as always) devote more resources to the music and give people the chance to use organic instruments instead of sitting around for 3 hours playing into a sequencer. And a real orchestra is always better than a synth one. Always. And of course if you're trying to get sounds you can't get out of an orchestra, that's something else too.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #249 on: April 22, 2008, 12:04:36 AM »
I too miss the Red Shells. Whenever one would appear in Melee, I'd throw it at someone saying, "Red Shell Hell!" That and, "MR. SATURN!!" caught on quickly.

Should've been done also:
-More trophies, especially considering the method used to make most of them.
       -That is, most are just polygons copied from other Wii games. Some are fresh, but most aren't, or are already in the game. Not a single Mother trophy is of something not already in the game.
-Ability to put trophies in custom stages to serve as structures. Just not the Subspace Gunship.
-More characters with costume systems like Wario's. Dr. Mario? Outset Link? Mr. L?
       -Note that I don't mean something like turning Lucario into Mewtwo. Dr. Mario is Mario, Outset Link is Toon Link, but Mewtwo is not Lucario.
                   -But one different character for each is okay--Lucas has Claus, the Links have their dark counterparts, Captain Falcon has Blood Falcon, etc.
-If not that, more options for a team color. Wario's default costume has two that look different, but are both candidates for a member of a red team, for example. Only one is actually used for the red team, though.
-Why can't we move names up and down the list!? Is it not obvious that the console's owner will be first to enter a name and will be playing the most often, and will therefore be the one to suffer most when scrolling all the way down to the bottom of the pit of names?
-I wish Deku Scrubs were Subspace Emissary enemies. They need a great comeback sometime in the future.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #250 on: April 22, 2008, 05:35:33 AM »
Actually, it would be nice if any series's enemies other than Mario were in the SSE. There was a huge lack of fanservice in there.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #251 on: April 22, 2008, 09:47:11 AM »
Maybe, but let's face it: Mario enemies are the most well-known.  I can't even think of a single enemy from another series that isn't somewhat generic.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #252 on: April 22, 2008, 09:50:05 AM »
I can't even think of a single enemy from another series that isn't somewhat generic.
In my opinion, Like Likes are anything but generic.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #253 on: April 22, 2008, 10:01:47 AM »
What kind of statement is this? How about Octopus Batteries? Geemers? Slimes? Bianckys?
That was a joke.

« Reply #254 on: April 22, 2008, 11:00:28 AM »
+: Great Character selection, good music, good Adventure Mode (The Subspace Emissary),Inclusion of certain Melee stages, ability to create Stages,Boss Battles,Sound Test available at start,inclusion of Wi-Fi,inclusion of Snake, inclusion of Sonic.
-:Loss of Red Shell,inclusion of Mr.Saturn,Luigi's voice.

I hated the fact the Red Shell was taken out because it was one of the best items. Mr. Saturn is just plain annoying and Luigi's voice is more girly than his voice in Melee.

Print