Poll

Do you consider SMRPG:LotSS Canonical

Yes
No
Print

Author Topic: Does SMRPG fit within the Mario canon (if there is one)?  (Read 12994 times)

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« on: January 23, 2007, 03:41:54 PM »
Okay,
         I sometimes try to prove mariology theories by saying that the evidence is in SMRPG.  However, some Mario fans don't consider SMRPG canonical, because it was made by Square.  A few interesting details were put into SMRPG including lots of new characters (that for the most part haven't been seen since), a Mushroom Chancellor (Peach wasn't the head of government), a new layout to the mushroom world, and yoshi's toes.  So, how many people consider SMRPG to be within the Mario canon?
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:46:03 PM »
I consider it part of the canon, but if one of the more "official" games contains something that is contradicted in SMRPG, I'll go with the "official" game first.
This is a secret coded message.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 03:58:26 PM »
At the Mariology forum Forum we've concluded the SMRPG area is another part of the Mushroom Kingdom ( Like Hawaii to the US ). The Chancellor rules that area while Peach rules the Paper Mario/Mario&Luigi area.

Senior Mariology professor

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 04:24:55 PM »
That's interesting...  But how can there be more than one Bowser's Castle at the same time?
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 04:50:07 PM »
I always thought it was completly canonical. I also think the Chancellor does the real ruling of the Mushroom Kingdom and that Peach is merely the Kingdom's figurehead.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »
I've always thought that it shows the area to the right of the map in Paper Mario 1, which also represents the areas from SMB3. Bowser has had many different castles over the years, so the one he had as of SMRPG happened to be located on Vista Hill.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 11:45:46 PM »
I don't really see it as something that should be excluded from the timeline of other Mario RPG's, but in terms of the other Mario games, it doesn't fit the timeline.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 10:00:20 AM »
Timeline? How doesn't it fit this so-called "timeline" that apparently exists?
This is a secret coded message.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 10:12:11 AM »
At the Mariology forum Forum we've concluded the SMRPG area is another part of the Mushroom Kingdom ( Like Hawaii to the US ). The Chancellor rules that area while Peach rules the Paper Mario/Mario&Luigi area.

Wow, I'm glad I avoid that forum.

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 04:08:56 PM »
I always thought it was completly canonical. I also think the Chancellor does the real ruling of the Mushroom Kingdom and that Peach is merely the Kingdom's figurehead.

That's what I usually think, but somehow Toadsworth seems to be looking after the Princess nowadays.  I just wonder what they did with the chancellor (maybe Toadsworth keeps him locked in the basement.)  I wish that Nintendo would bring back more elements of SMRPG into recent games.  Geno was in M&L:SS but I'd like to see Mallow around sometime...

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 05:27:07 PM »
I guess we don't see the Chancellor because he's busy running the kingdom. And that usually isn't too interesting.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 06:06:43 PM »
Well,  the Chancellor's Japanese name translates as "Mushroom Cabinet Minister", so I'd say he's the same guy as the minister from Paper Mario 1. Guess the Mushroom Kingdom is really a republic.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 07:49:59 PM »
In answer to the thread title:
Yes.
That was a joke.

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 04:46:20 PM »
But then wouldn't it be "The Republic of Mushroom Land" ?  But it's the Mushroom Kingdom, so it has to be a monarchy, right?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 05:22:25 PM »
You mean like the United Kingdom? :-p

Print