Poll

Which portable system do you think is better overall?

Nintendo DS
19 (79.2%)
Playstation Portable (PSP)
1 (4.2%)
GP2X
0 (0%)
Gameboy (Original, Color, Pocket, Advance)
4 (16.7%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Print

Author Topic: How do YOU game on the go?  (Read 8028 times)

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:11:01 PM »
Well, It's been a while since I was here (probably since I found out there's more to life than hanging around on forums.)  Anyway, I just got a PSP and realized it OWNS the DS.  Of course.....that may not be what you think.  Considering that this is a site full of Nintendo fans, I can probably know what to expect.  Or maybe I can't...
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »
Anyway, I just got a PSP and realized it OWNS the DS. 
Are you serious? I consider the PSP to be the worst gaming I own. The games fall apart, it uses a strange, expensive memory format, it has little games, it has a poor layout for ports of other Sony games (The lack of two R and L buttons), it has a poor screen (mine has 6 dead pixels), a small freaking battery, its movie format is strange and incompatible with any other media player, and it's huge. Still, it does have a joystick, it has media  and a great screen ratio, even though that's not enough to save it.
In a sharp contrast, the DS is probably the best Nintendo system in years. It has a library of great games, two screens, a touch screen, a GBA port, a small size, and plenty of other upsides.
Honestly, Fwirt, you'll like this PSP of yours for about three days. That's about how long I liked mine.
No one should buy a PSP. It's games are awful, and using it as a media player is expensive, and pointless; a 30GB iPod video costs as much as a PSP and a 2 GB memory stick,
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:25:25 PM by SolidShroom »

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:04:17 PM »
My laptop with my NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and Arcade emus.

I'm much too poor to buy one of these newfangled hand-held devices.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 12:17:42 AM by Rick »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:58:30 PM »
DS DS DS DS DS DS DS DS.
I always have my DS Lite on me, and usually one of my GBAs so it doesn't get dust all over it after wood shop (won't have to worry about that next year). I just got an M3 DS Simply, too... I think it's safe to say that it lifts it even higher above the PSP: it can play MP3s (mehh, I have an iPod mini), videos, and virtually any DS ROM with full functionality (yeah... I still will buy games though). I also have nesDS with which to play NES games, SNEmulDS to play SNES games (limited compatibility and still a bit glitchy and beta-y, but enjoyable). I'm really let-down that SMRPG cannot now and can probably never be emulated on the DS, because you can't have that chip whose name I can't recall, but I have Tetris Attack. I've also got a sampling keyboard on it, and an IRC client.
So, er... you were saying, about the PSP? If you add the cost of the M3 DS Simply, the 1 GB microSD card it uses (mind you I found an unbelievable deal on that card), and the DS, you've got about $190's worth of pwnage... how much are PSPs selling for these days?
Lots of parentheses.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 12:28:02 AM »
I use my DS wherever I go, but those dang Hilton chain hotels don't work with the DS. La Quinta does, however.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 06:36:49 AM »
DS.  Unfortunately, I'm the only traveling gamer in the band with one.  The rest have PSPs.  It's really sad.  I would've loved playing Mario Kart with those guys.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:23:21 AM »
I can't really vote for anything other than the GBA, seeing as that's all I have.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 12:57:21 PM »
Okay, the topic title said "How do you game on the go?" but then the poll asks us which one you think is better. Mixed messages, people!
Anyway, the DS is the superior choice, with GBA and DS titles which are both good, as opposed to PSP, which has a few games that look cool and a few PSX ports. PSP is a strange, proprietary movie player. If you buy a PSP, you buy it to hack and use emulators with. Which is not entirely a bad reason to own one. Except all the emuators on PSP that I've seen stretch the games to the PSP's aspect ratio, which is bad.
I had more to say but I have class now.
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 01:23:50 PM »
If you buy a PSP, you buy it to hack and use emulators with. Which is not entirely a bad reason to own one. Except all the emulators on PSP that I've seen stretch the games to the PSP's aspect ratio, which is bad.

I have a PSP and I have no clue how to hack it and play emulators.
The only reason why I voted for the DS is because there is only 2 games so far that I have seen that interest me, and I own one of them, and I beat it! For the DS, there are a lot of good games out there, and the interactivity is great!

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 04:21:21 PM »
Alright, I do agree with the fact that the PSP has a shorter battery life, but I can't figure out why everybody says it's built so badly.  Mine works perfectly, except for one dead pixel.  And yes Chupperson, the reason I did buy it was to hack it.  There are actually only about two UMDs that I actually want to own for it.  As for the emulators, GBA, GB/GBC, SNES, NES, and Genesis all work great.  None of them stretch the screen... 

I prefer the PSP because it doesn't require any expensive flash carts to use homebrew, and it comes with a built in photo viewer and music and movie player, plus superior graphics.  (And optional camera and GPS attachments.)  In my opinion, it's better.

I would own a DS, but I sprang for a PSP because it does homebrew with just a couple of downloads.  Plus, you can't beat the $66 I got it for :D  I'll probably get a DS in a few years when I can afford one.

(P.S.  PaperWario, If you're running firmware higher than version 3.03, I don't think you can do homebrew at this time.  If you're running lower, than I highly suggest custom firmware.  How to get the custom firmware can be found at: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&message.id=2810436.  To downgrade to 1.50 first, go to http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&thread.id=2792391.)
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 04:26:52 PM »
I didn't vote, because the topic title and the poll title are throwing me off, but I will answer the question..

I usually play my DS or GBA when I am not home, as they both fit comfortably into my backpack with my school books, as does my library of games for either system.

At home, if I want to play handheld, I usually do so with either my original Gameboy, or on some evolution of Gameboy (Super Gameboy, Gameboy Player), or the DS.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 05:50:41 PM »
I typically play my DS Lite these days.

I like the DS better because the PSP doesn't have WarioWare, and I'd much rather play old games on their respective systems than on a handheld, plus I'm not very computer literate.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 06:45:58 PM »
I still play my silver Gameboy Pocket.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 06:51:19 PM »
(P.S.  PaperWario, If you're running firmware higher than version 3.03, I don't think you can do homebrew at this time.  If you're running lower, than I highly suggest custom firmware.  How to get the custom firmware can be found at: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&message.id=2810436.  To downgrade to 1.50 first, go to http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&thread.id=2792391.)

Even if I did get a firmware, I would no clue how to use it, and plus I have no IDEA what homebrew means.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 09:26:35 PM »
As for "superior" graphics, as they say, flocci non facio.
That was a joke.

Print