Poll

Have you ever (legitimately) beaten Super Mario Brothers (the original)?

Yes
25 (64.1%)
No
14 (35.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Print

Author Topic: Did you ever beat Super Mario Bros?  (Read 17883 times)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2007, 12:52:50 PM »
2-4, but who needs the 1-up trick when you have tons of Toad Houses handing out extra Mario's? If you hold L and R while visiting a house the entire way, you'll still have it and it won't disappear!

EDIT: But I think you have to beat the game before that...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 12:56:34 PM by SushieBoy »
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2007, 02:07:52 PM »
When you beat the game 100% the houses stay there without the need of the trick. And think it is still faster to get to the end of the level and do the stair trick, since you can easily go from 1 life to 99 in just one visit.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2007, 02:13:10 PM »
I never used those houses.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2007, 02:49:18 PM »
I've never beaten Super Mario Bros. I've never beaten any platform game, actually, for the record. I'm just very bad at platformers. I'm much better at RPG's and whatever type of game Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2007, 03:05:23 PM »
Easy. Those games are known as easy games. That's their genre.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2007, 03:22:35 PM »
Adventure, Pt.  The Zelda games are best classified in the Adventure genre.  Although it has been argued to be RPG.  The only Mario platformers I've beaten are SM64,  SMSu, (never got all 120 stars or shine sprites, though) and the story part on SPM.  All of those games had Adventure or RPG elements in the mix. 
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2007, 04:30:11 PM »
Thank you Kojinka. Yes, I'm good at the Paper Mario games (RPG's) but not SMB. I've tried and I was planning to try again after I hook the NES game up. It's just sitting there in it's box...I think I'll try it today.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2007, 04:31:35 PM »
Zeldas are, I guess, properly called Action-Adventures, but they're really their own type of game, which Metroid and modern Castlevanias then followed and joined that genre.

Do not call them merely Adventures, because that is wholly a seperate type of game. Adventures are games like Zork, Sam & Max, and Myst.

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2007, 05:43:51 PM »
SM64,  SMSu, (never got all 120 stars or shine sprites, though)

I got them all in SM64. There are just too many blue Coins in SMSu for me to erase a file and start over again (they could have taken out one Shine per level and had enough for another entire level! or something like that..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2007, 08:56:05 AM »
yes

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2007, 10:13:52 AM »
On SMBDX, I beat all the way through 8*4 without warp zones. I also beat the game on SMAS. Since I now have a working NES, I'll probably beat the original soon...

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2007, 07:37:51 PM »
I actually didn't beat the original version of Super Mario Bros. until I downloaded the Virtual Console version. I don't know a real solid way to beat Bowser's hammers besides waiting for a pause in throwing or taking luck for a ride.

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2007, 08:18:49 PM »
I've beaten it 3 times, once all the way through, once with warps and once with warps on the extra quest. I did use the infinite lives cheat on 3-1 though.

« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2007, 12:56:53 AM »
The key is that you're supposed to go under Bowser, not jump over him. The hammers are really a non-issue, then.

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2007, 10:03:30 AM »
I have never beaten SMB, but only because my NES broke around age seven, and I wasn't enough of a gamer to beat it before then. I have not played anything as much as 1-1 all the way through since I was seven.

Print