Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Sunshine - Completing Corona Mountain Without the Boat  (Read 9337 times)

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« on: November 08, 2008, 09:14:16 PM »
This is quite possibly one of the hardest things I've ever done in a video game. I've heard that people thought Corona Mountain was annoying because of the boat part. I haven't really thought that the boat part was hard, and after watching this video, you'll find out that having the boat is a grace. Relying mainly on the Hover Nozzle, I make my way across the giant lava pit using stalagmites protruding from the lava. Also please note that this isn't a speedrun.

Just like my Super Paper Mario videos, this one is a MUST-SEE for ALL Mario fans, even if you've never played this game before!

ENJOY! Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0QipITdx0U

Be sure to check out my profile for more cool videos!

I am now open to Mario video requests, but I am currently not accepting any requests for the following games:

Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Paper Mario
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door
Paper Mario
Super Mario RPG Legend Of The Seven Stars
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Mario and Luigi Partners In Time
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:09:49 PM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 09:30:10 PM »
Good stuff!  Your videos of SMS make me want to go buy the game, even if I'll never be able to pull something like that off.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 09:38:16 PM »
I recommend that you buy it. It's a very good game.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:21:06 PM »
...yeah, that's definitely the most amazing thing I've seen in a Mario game (not counting SMW levels that play by themselves). I wonder how tense it was that you were constantly inches away from falling into the lava? I always enjoy seeing challenges like this that do things in unusual ways. Well, now we know that someone who's determined not to use the boat has an alternative - on the other hand, they might conclude that using the boat's easier. How many tries did it take to get across the lava without the boat?
You didn't say wot wot.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 09:25:05 PM »
Well, first, I thought of the idea and then tried to estimate the distance and see if it was possible. I looked to the stalagmites for help, and found that I can stay on them for quite a while if I used the Hover Nozzle. After that, I chose which stalagmites I would go to, and I had to figure out how to get there. After some experimenting, I found out about going to the top of the stalagmites to gain extra speed, and I started trying to make it onto other stalagmites. Then, I took the amount of water you'd need to use into consideration. I figured I'd have the best chances of making it to the other end if I stopped at the box that sprays water on the way there. Next, I discovered that you can hang onto the edge of the stalagmites for 1/3 of a second, and that's where everything got easier. Finally, I performed getting through Corona Mountain without the boat while not recording, and started recording after that. It took me about 80-130 overall tries (excluding silly mistakes, such as lunging too far and falling in the lava) to successfully pull it off, and roughly 50-90 tries to successfully pull it off while recording.

It actually was pretty tense when I fell off a couple of times, because I needed to react quickly to get back up, and things like that happen unexpectedly. The whole time I was playing, I always had my right index finger very close to the R button just incase something like that happens. Before and while recording, but before the finished video, unexpected falls didn't happen too often.

I always enjoy seeing challenges like this that do things in unusual ways.

Yes, I agree. Doing something in a way it wasn't intended to be done is very fun, and I usually can't wait to make a video when I come up with an idea I think people will enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:10:56 PM by Kimimaru »

Sqrt2

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 03:11:28 AM »
You Kimimaru are a freaking genius (even though it looked touch and go a number of times).

I look forward to your next video.
AA fanboy and proud!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:26:40 AM »
I recommend that you buy it. It's a very good game.

Got it off ebay for $15 last night.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 01:46:06 PM »
Congradulations Turtlekid1!

Kimimaru, when I was looking at the index, I saw the title of this thread, and I actually said, "No way." out loud.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 12:24:44 PM »
Holy crap.

How many times did you die before you finally memorized which way you had to face each time you fell from the stalagmites?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 04:10:42 PM »
It took me about 80-130 overall tries (excluding silly mistakes, such as lunging too far and falling in the lava) to successfully pull it off, and roughly 50-90 tries to successfully pull it off while recording.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 06:58:57 PM »
Very remarkable. One of the things I was most impressed with was the fact that the majority of it was done backwards.

Even so, I never found the boat very troublesome to use...

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 08:10:53 PM »
After obtaining Kuribo's Shoe or the Frog Suit in SMB3 how far can you get without losing it.  It'd be cool to see someone beat the game with one of those items.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:31:47 PM »
Very remarkable. One of the things I was most impressed with was the fact that the majority of it was done backwards.

That's because I had to do it backwards. If you slide off something while facing forwards, you can't use the Hover Nozzle, and the most you can do is jump in a fixed direction and be unable to control that jump. If you fall off something after sliding on it while facing forwards, you can't really do anything. In my case, it would've been a dive into the lava :).

Luigison, please post that in my Mario YouTube requests/challenges thread please. It's nothing personal, but I'd just like every challenge or request to be in one spot because I might reconsider some requests that I've already turned down.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:34:57 PM by Kimimaru »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 09:45:57 PM »
You can't exit the Kuribo's Shoe level with the shoe still attached, Luigison.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 04:01:33 PM »
You could still do Tanooki Suit or Frog Suit from the moment you get the suits to the rest of the game, can't you? Tanooki Mario would be easy since that's essentially Raccoon Mario. Except Tanooki Suit looks cooler.

I could have sworn Tanooki Suit was in the same level as Kuribo's shoe... hmm. Was there anyone who ever used the statue ability to hide from enemies? I guess maybe you'd use it in that one level where the little green guys are throwing spiky balls at you. A bunch of spiky balls flying towards you might be a good reason to turn into a statue.
You didn't say wot wot.

Print