Print

Author Topic: Predictions  (Read 9008 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: August 10, 2011, 05:40:05 PM »
You can't predict the future.  You have to invent it  Having said that, anyone have predictions for the future? 

- Privacy won't be important in the near future and will not even exist in the far future.  (I'm working on a novel along these lines.)

I'll discuss more about my novel and add more predictions later.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 06:14:13 PM »
I predict that the idea of your book has already been featured in many science fiction novels. (I predict that one notable example of this prediction is 1984)

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 06:23:15 PM »
The difference being that people will be content without privacy.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:50:39 PM »
Brave New World.

I predict the United States may never climb out of its economic rut. I saw a machine at a Jack in the Box burger restaurant that took your order instead of the person at the counter. Does this not set off an alarm in anyone else's head? What is a machine like that meant to accomplish? There goes one more job, and there goes one more stranger you have to talk to to get what you want. We keep building things like that and red boxes and soon, the only ways to make money will be farming, delivery, medical and entertainment. Everyone else will be starving shut-ins who never see the light of day or meet anyone new.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:59:38 PM »
25 years from now:

Nintendo will make a phone.
Neither America nor China will be dominant.
More than half of American Christians will be in favor of legalizing gay marriage.
Facebook will still be around.
90% of the world will have access to clean water.
Earthbound will still not be on the Virtual Console.
Gas prices won't be that high.
There will still not be any companies that offer cable service where I live.
Major movies will be released as digital-only, with no DVD or Blu-Ray release. Like Revenge of the Sith not releasing on VHS in 2005, this will still be ****ing people off.
Piper Palin will be president.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 11:36:56 PM »
I saw a machine at a Jack in the Box burger restaurant that took your order instead of the person at the counter. Does this not set off an alarm in anyone else's head? What is a machine like that meant to accomplish? There goes one more job, and there goes one more stranger you have to talk to to get what you want.

It's good for corporations and those who own them. If this machinization of jobs continues, I can imagine the middle class disappearing altogether within this century. At Jack in the Box, for instance, the only employees safe from having their jobs replaced by robots are the upper management, since they're the ones deciding which jobs will become automized.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 12:00:20 AM »
I predict that someone else will make a post in this thread.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 12:01:58 AM »
Neither America nor China will be dominant.
What do you mean? Compared to each other? Or on the world scale in general? If the latter, who will be? India or Brazil? I disagree. Countries don't lose or gain power that quickly unless there's a war (an actual war, not the [dukar] we call "wars" nowadays).

And to all the people phreaking out about technology TAKING OUR JERBS, may I direct your attention to the last 250 years. And really before that too. Creating tools to do our work is what virtually defines humanity. I'm glad someone doesn't have to spend eight hours of their day taking people's orders at Jack in the Box. The economy can, has, and will adjust.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 12:04:48 AM »
For what it's worth, I work in tech support, and far from cutting jobs, we're expanding to fill something like 150 more tech support positions just in the site I work at in the next couple of years.

So it really does depend on the industry; food service might be going down the tubes, for example (and this does have upsides; no one wants to man registers at Kroger at six in the morning, so self-checkout is convenient if I go to pick up lunch there before work), but cell phones aren't going away any time soon.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:32:50 AM »
did ld just make a homestar runner reference
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 12:36:30 AM »
Bell Canada has an automated tech-support system. It's utter [dukar], but Bell refuses to get rid of it because it saves them money.

By the way, Warp, I didn't know you lived in Pakistan!

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 12:47:09 AM »
No. Get some culture.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIzivCJ9pzU" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIzivCJ9pzU</a>

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 01:22:33 AM »
Aha
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »
I'd like to point out that South Park is No. 2 on my list of things that suck:

1. Family Guy
2. South Park
3. Shipping
4. Using "could of" instead of "could have"

And hey, looks like my prediction came true.

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 08:39:41 PM »
And hey, looks like my prediction came true.

DUDE, ARE YOU LIKE A GYPSY OR SOMETHING

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »
ATTENTION RETARDS:

Machines and computers are replacing humans in jobs that are capable of being performed by machines and computers.

The job titles of "Drive Thru Operator" and "Cash Register Monkey" not being available for the people of the future is a GOOD thing. Humanity should aspire to greater purpose.

Print