Print

Author Topic: How come Nintendo doesn't respect the DKC series?  (Read 10769 times)

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 04:50:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure the idea of Jungle Beat was to give DK a fresh start and try new ideas. You can't really do that with the old settings.

Besides that, if Nintendo didn't like the DKC series, why would Diddy Kong and other Rare elements make it to the modern day games?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 06:22:57 PM »
Well, you have to remember that Diddy and the like only appear in minor titles, so it's not they are consider main Mario characters. They're basically just filler. I wish Rare had never messed with DK in the first place. I'm pretty sure the DKC series isn't what Miyamoto had in mind when he allowed Rare to use his character.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 08:12:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure the idea of Jungle Beat was to give DK a fresh start and try new ideas. You can't really do that with the old settings.

Actually you can refresh a series but still keep old characters. Sonic the Hedgehog '06 will prove that.

And if Miyamoto didn't like what Rare did to DK, he shouldn't have never allowed Rare to continue after the first game.
"Oh east, I thought you said 'weast'" Patrick

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 08:47:56 AM »
Miyamoto didn't like the game, but everyone else did. So Hiroshi Yamauchi told Rare to continue, even though Miyamoto didn't like what they did.

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 08:56:52 AM »
Well at least, Rare improved the formula from the Arcade series. DKC DK stills used barrels from DK1 and he was still able to climb up vines like in DK Jr. So even though Rare made first made DK fresh, they still build up from the old formula.

And besides, Rare DK > Nintendo DK. Nintendo pretty much made DK a jackal in every game. Rare at least made him a lovable hero.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 09:06:17 AM »
Rare didn't bulid on a formula. It was a completely different kind of game. The barrels and vines were just passing references, like Cranky Kong.

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 09:56:42 AM »
At least Rare respected DK Arcade enough to put in barrels, vines, and DK Sr. as an old man who views the arcade better than new stuff.

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 12:25:23 PM »
It doesn't seem so much that they don't respect DKC, as that they're trying to take the Rare DK and make it their own again.
I've also read somewhere (maybe wikipedia) the Myamoto didn't dislike the game, but was upset about being pressured at the time to make Yoshi's island more like Donkey Kong Country. Granted, wikipedia isn't the most reliable source...
Also, with or without Expresso, Jungle beat is awesome.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 03:56:12 PM »
Actually you can refresh a series but still keep old characters. Sonic the Hedgehog '06 will prove that.

I wouldn't count on it. The last Sonic games were hit-or-miss, with most of them being a miss. Besides that, Wildfire got a better reception at E3 than '06.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 05:22:17 PM »
Mr.Wiggles is right about that. And most of thses new Sonic games center around new characters as opposed to old ones.

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2006, 01:18:44 PM »
Well, the other DKC characters are Rares as well as Nintendo, and Microsoft owns Rare.
But Dixie is in mario hoops 3 on 3. go figure.

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2006, 10:38:47 PM »
Mr.Wiggles is right about that. And most of thses new Sonic games center around new characters as opposed to old ones.

Yo Chef, name me a Sonic game besides Sonic & Knuckles, which is basically just finishing up Sonic 3 anyway, where they don't introduce hot new characters? Sonic Team LOVES that stuff. They do it EVERY time. Since the very very beginning.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 12:01:05 PM »
dumbdumbkoopas made a dumbdumbcomment because Nintendo owns all the Rare DK stuff.
That was a joke.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 01:55:59 PM »
I'll answer to that LD, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle!!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 03:45:17 PM »
Yo Chef, name me a Sonic game besides Sonic & Knuckles, which is basically just finishing up Sonic 3 anyway, where they don't introduce hot new characters? Sonic Team LOVES that stuff. They do it EVERY time. Since the very very beginning.

I wouldn't call their recent crop of characters "hot" (except maybe Rouge, but that's different). Shadow and Rouge were exact copies of Sonic and Knuckles, Cream is useless in terms of adding anything valuable (can't fight on her own, basically Tails with a Chao), Omega is a carbon copy of Knuckles in Sonic Heroes and also serves as a crappy replacement for Gamma (rest in peace), the Babylon Rouges are once again carbon copies of already existing characters (and Jet was annoying). So far, the only unique new characters are Blaze and Silver, and they are incredibly fan-characterish (plus Blaze played the exact same way as Sonic in Sonic Rush). To terll the truth, I'd rather they bring back some of the older characters such as Fang the Sniper or Mighty the Armadillo. They seem more unique and would probably be better than having to think up a new character for every game that they make.

Print