Print

Author Topic: Discovery of Rare Lightning.  (Read 2134 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« on: August 30, 2003, 11:41:05 PM »
Not too long ago, there was the discovery of very rare lightning. These types of lightning are "Red Sprites" and "Blue Jets." These type of lightning occur at the very top of a storm. These are very rare and can only be seen for about 3 milliseconds- 10 milliseconds before they disappear.

Red Sprites- Usually occur in groups. There is a red flash with many small white flashes within the redness. That is the lightning itself. It occurs at the same time cloud to ground, etc. lightning occurs. Scientists can't explain it (which always seems to be the case.) My guess is that atmospheric conditions play a part in it because usually, storms are about 40,000 ft or higher. They took a pic from space showing a huge supercell starting to flatten uot because it hit the edge of the atmosphere.

Blue jets- Same principle about the timing of the event: same as Red Sprites. Occurs when lightning occurs. They're a blue cone that that shoot up almost vertically in a 10-15 degree angle.

Very rare; very cool.
I could show y'all a movie of a Red Sprite and Blue Jet being filmed on tape from a plane. But, I can't do that HTML stuff. But, I'll find the link to it eventually. Just type in "Red Sprite" or "Blue Jet" as a search word and it should find it.

How To Watch For a Red Sprite or Blue Jet

A clear view above a thunderstorm is required. This generally means the thunderstorm activity must be on the horizon. Additionally, there must be very little intervening cloud cover.

Best viewing distance from storm is 100-200 miles (200-300 km). At these distances sprites will subtend a vertical angular distance of 10-20 degrees. This is 2-4 times the separation of the pointer stars in the Big Dipper. Basically, a little below the horizon.

For observing sprites, it must be completely dark. (i. e. no longer twilight)

Eyes must be completely dark adapted. Use same criteria for this as for astronomical observing. If you can see the Milky Way, then it is probably dark enough and the eyes have adapted enough to see sprites.

Fix your gaze on the space above an active thunderstorm. Do not be distracted by underlying lightning activity in the storm. Block out the lightning if necessary using a piece of dark paper in such a way as to still being able to view what is going on above the cloud.

Sprites will be very brief flashes just on the edge of perceptability. They occur too quickly to follow with the eyes, but their strange vertically striated structure and dull red color may be perceived.

Patience will be rewarded. If the right kind of storm is present and one's viewing geometry is favorable, then there is a greater likelihood of seeing a sprite than of seeing a shooting star or comet.

If you have observed a sprite or any other optical emission above a thunderstorm, please report it.

This info about just viewing these occurences, except for one sentence, was ripped from the original site. If you do happen to see one in the future, please report it here. I will have the link to the place by then. Hope you see some!

Hey folks, you should try this. Show people your drivers license and ask them if "they have seen this man."
Quote from George W. Bush: "I have opinions, strong ones, but I don't always agree with them."

Edited by - Trainman on 8/30/2003 10:45:05 PM
Formerly quite reasonable.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 12:02:05 AM »
Wah.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 01:13:37 AM »
Wah.

Hey folks, you should try this. Show people your drivers license and ask them if "they have seen this man."
Quote from George W. Bush: "I have opinions, strong ones, but I don''t always agree with them."

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 07:43:02 PM »
What a waste of my time posting this thread, I guess.

Quote from George W. Bush: "I have opinions, strong ones, but I don''t always agree with them."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2003, 08:31:14 PM »
Hmm...this thread INSTANTLY reminded me of something I saw on the Twilight Zone last year...

--------------------
Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2003, 08:36:40 PM »
Well, that's great, I guess.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2003, 08:39:42 PM »
I like the twilight zone!

"I''''m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven!"
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Print