Print

Author Topic: The Suitor  (Read 13223 times)

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 08:48:34 PM »
Again, thanks!  I always love getting these comments back!  And here is the next chapter....

Chapter 4:  A Soulful Welcoming

Peach's head was buzzing as she sat back up in the seat cushions below her, recovering from the great thrust that the carriage had brought because of its sudden and immense stop.  Her numb fingers brushed the strands of blonde hair of from her view as she gazed out the window before her.  She was treated to such an amazing sight, which very few of her kin ever got to behold. 
The buggy was parked upon a small circle of black pavement.  In the middle of this circle was a just fountain, which sent streams of gurgling black liquid spewing from its stone structure.  The fountain was built tall and narrow, four boos encircling around the middle as a sort of centerpiece to the small basin at the bottom.  They all had their tongues out, cruel smiles lining their faces.  Their eyes were gleeless, and their positions haunting.  The dark waters trickling from their gaping mouths, pouring into the rippling pool below. 
As Peach continued to look farther to her right, she gazed past the fountain structure and unto and enormous house.  No, it wasn't actually a house; it was a mansion.  A very tall, very classy looking mansion.  Its color was a midnight blue, holding the same texture as the night sky.  The mansion was built in great columns, and towers, though organized in appearance.  In fact, the mansion would look very much symmetrical if it weren't for the chimneys.  There were many chimneys that jutted from the various roofs like teeth, unpredictable in position and size.  A few of the chimneys sent drifts of smoke from their tops, while the others remained empty of all but soot. 
Windows large and small also decorated the great home, lit in yellow by some warming light from the inside.  It showed hospitality, though also intimidation.  One couldn't help but wonder at how many residents must be staying in the mammoth mansion.  Peach's eyes darted from one thing to the next across its face, stopping her redundant gazing to look upon a stone gargoyle jutting out from the wall, sneering at the sky.  She also spotted a few balconies, along with unlit windows, black and glossy in their appearance, haunting to the soul.
Still as Peach looked upon such a magnificent sight, she couldn't help but feel immensely scared with her position.  She looked back to her foul keeper, dressed in his classy top hat and wiped with a sly grin.  She thought of his past statement.  Oh how he could try to marry her all he wanted, but she would rather die than devote herself to this foolish cretin.  He claimed that there was no way he'd let her go if she refused marriage; but she was confident.  She would leave this place before her if it was the last thing she'd do.  And as she gazed upon her frightening suitor, she allowed herself to grow angry.  The muscles in her face tightened as she felt her brow knot.     
"You....." she said through angrily.  "You awful, awful..." she pulled upon her hair and grinded her teeth, her muscles tensing even more and her eyes hidden behind squeezed eyelids.  She groaned through her locked teeth, her stomach feeling a sudden surge of sickness.  Her hands immediately clasped around her petite stomach as her chin drooped to her chest.  Peach's golden, flowing hair extended vertically until it brushed against the soft, shag carpet upon the floor of the buggy.  Booregard was entranced by her amazing hair, paying no attention to her subtle moans. 
He noticed not the way in which Peach was coiled in pain of illness, and said, "Oh dear princess, you will now come into my kingdom with me by your side.  Oh how my royal subjects are truly looking forward to seeing you."
Peach looked up from her knees, her hands still clutching her stomach as she blunty said, "What?"
Booregard closed his eyes and sighed, saying, "You see dear Peach, each time I go off from my land to look for a lady in which to share my wealth with, the residents of my kingdom wait all night for my home-coming to see if I have finally found my prize.  Many a time have I returned home disappointed.  Hm hm..... but not tonight..." he fixed Peach with the most sly and mischievous of smiles, and Peach could sense what was on his mind.  She was disgusted at the thought, and held her stomach even tighter. 
The carriage then proceeded to move along the black circle, making its way around the fountain and towards an eerie black gate, great points jutting from the ends of the gates' bars.  They pointed to the starry night sky in a way that was gruesome.  Suddenly, Peach saw the six pink female boos appear from behind the buggy, drifting towards the gates in their graceful fashion.  Peach watched as they all helped to pull open the gates, resulting in a wailing screech from its rusty hinges.  As the buggy passed on by through the gate, the pink boos all gazed at Booregard flirtatiously, waving at him kindly.  When they saw Peach they all scowled, showing their teeth and glaring at her.  Peach avoided their eye contact as she tried to keep herself as calm as possible. 
Booregard and Peach rode up to a stop at the foot of the towering mansion.  It was quite immense in height, and looked very intimidating.  The door of the buggy suddenly swung open like it had done inside the glade, and Booregard lifted a hand as a gesture for Peach to go first.  Peach looked back at him and shook her head, a worried look on her pale face.  Booregard made his gesture stronger.  Peach still shook her stinging head.  Finally, Booregard raised his hand to hand Peach be lifted up into the brisk night air.  Peach yelped at the suddenly lurch in height, feeling the familiar sense of an invisible giant taking hold of her.  She was forced out of the door.  In mid-air the invisible hand had disappeared, sending Peach flying down to the pavement below.   
She forced herself up on bruised hands and knees, standing upon her two awkward feet.  She gazed back at the tall carriage to see Booregard float outside handsomely.  Peach's hair was tangled, her night gown filthy.  Her legs and arms were scratched up and bruised, and her faced was pale and scared.  Booregard frowned at her appearance. 
"No, this won't do," he said sourly.  He raised a hand into the air as he had done many times before.  Suddenly, a dress had appeared out of nowhere in his pale, ghostly hand.  The dress was colored black, the top of it a dark blue.  Upon the chest of this outfit was a purple jewel that shone sinningly.  The cuffs were puffy, just liker her old dress, only colored a dark blue instead of pink.
"Put this on," said Booregard, throwing the dress at Peach.  She barely caught it in her white gloved hands as she gazed angrily at the pale ghost.  She decided that there was no use arguing about this, considering that she would most likely be threatened to dress in the hideous outfit if she was to refuse.  However, the princess did order Booregard to turn around as she dressed, which he did so with a sly grin. 
Peach pulled off her soft, light night gown, feeling the nip of the night  air reach her pale skin.  Quickly she jumped into her new, dark dress.  It was itchy, and uncomfortable, fitting too tight in some areas while too loose in others.  She hated the dress, but hated the ghost who gave it to her even more. 
Booregard quickly spun around as Peach jumped unexpectedly. 
"H-h-how did you know I was finished?" asked the shocked Peach as she combed her fingers through her tangling blonde hair.  Booregard avoided this question with a laugh.  Quickly he hovered to the side of the glowering princess, taking her by the arm with a smile.  Peach tried to draw back, but found that the ghost's grip was tight. 
"Come now, my princess," said Booregard, mischief in his eye, "let us go greet the residents of my humble kingdom..."
The boo lead a stumbling Peach to the tall, narrow green doorway.  Peach's stomach did back flips as she watched Booregard grasp the golden doorknob before him, giving it a swift turn.  Peach's breath suddenly felt fast to her once again as the door was thrown open, and light poured over the princess and the boo.  The boo pulled Princess Peach into the suddenly bright room, Peach being in complete shock.  The door shut behind them and Peach gazed upon the sight before her. 
Tons, and tons of strange creatures were packed inside the enormous entry hall before her.  This entry wall was far larger than the one inside her castle.  But Peach could hardly notice any detail of the room, for it was completely crowded with residents of Booregard's kingdom!  There were dry bones gazing upon Booregard and Peach with their glazed red eyes, shadow sirens kept in the shadows but intent on their master and his mistress.  There were bats hanging from the glittering chandeliers above, duplighosts with their crooked smiles, and many other wicked creatures of the night.  But most of all, there were ghosts!  Ghosts of many shapes and sizes!  There were green ghosts, blue ghosts, red ghosts, purple ghosts, and many other kinds.  They all smiled upon the boo and his bride with blank eyes, waiting for an announcement.
Peach's heart raced at the enormous crowd of terrible creatures, her mouth gapping in fear.  Suddenly, she heard Booregard next to her bellow, "My followers!"
All the creatures of the entry hall were intent to listen as he continued. 
"I give you........" he gazed over at Peach boastingly, then yelled out to his comrades, "THE MISTRESS OF LICKNOT MANOR!!!"  Peach looked at Booregard in utter horror.
The entry hall erupted in an explosion of cheers.  All of the dark creatures jumped up and down, crying and yelling for joy.  The immense sound thundered upon Peach's ears as she looked worriedly from one ghostly being to the next.  They all gazed at her with deathly eyes, each of them equipped with an excited smile, looking as though they had each just won something.  Peach brought her hands to her ears, trying to block out the terrible screeching sound from the bats overhead.  Booregard merely hovered higher into the air, basking in all of his great applause.  Peach looked up at him, her stomach in knots and her mind racing.  Tears brimmed her pure eyes as she gasped for air, confused and alone. 

Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2006, 09:34:16 PM »
I feel sorry for Peach, please let her out of this kingdom!
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 09:01:47 PM »
Hmmm....maybe I will.....but maybe.......(evil snicker).
Okay, here's the next chapter:

Chapter 5:  An Elegant Place

The hall continued to ring with the laughter and cheers from the various spooks hovering about.  Shivers raced upon Peach's spine as she looked at them all, seeing their jeering ways and foolish behavior.  She tugged upon the skirt of her dress, pulling it down to the floor as she felt it rose to high on her.  She was filled with so much discomfort with this stupid dress, and was getting frustrated with the sounds of the yelling ghosts beside her.  She felt like turning to them and yelling out profanities, storming out of the horrific mansion to leave Booregard alone and depressed.  She cared not for the feelings of him nor the feelings of any other ghost or spirit that may roam this horrid place. 
Their lungs shook the invisible walls of which their figures blocked Peach's eyes.  All she could see of this room was the bright ceiling above, alive with the twitchiness of bats and the glittering of confetti.  Three chandeliers could be seen hung from the ceiling, and all glittered brilliantly.  The ceiling itself was painted, painted a dark blue to no one's surprise and was decorated with white stars and a moon in the very center.  Why, it was only a tad bit more surreal than the actual sky outside! 
Though most of the tall walls were, indeed, invisible to Peach's quivering eyes, she could catch a glimpse of elegant red curtains lining the top, bordering the ceiling in a most fashionable way.  Peach's observant adventure soon came to a halt as her heart leapt into her throat at the feeling of a thick, warmly wet tongue pasting against her fragile face.  It slowly moved up along her left cheek, being accompanied by a slurping sound.  All of the nerves in her body shook as the large tongue finally left her face, leaving her with warm drool.
Booregard Licknot laughed with affection, as his ghost crowd continued to cheer over the victory of the suitor king.  Princess Peach brought a shaking hand to her amiable face, stroking away the unwanted saliva.  She watched as Booregard flew suddenly up to the painted moon upon his high ceiling.  He stopped, gazing upon his subjects with admiration and a keen smile.  The six pink boos awed over his success in lust for him, dreaming and hoping.  The crowd settled down as they began to crowd around Peach, staring up towards the ceiling to the place which Booregard hovered.  A moping shadow siren glided near the princess, it's body shaded in a dark purple, its ghostly tail doomed to stay locked to the ground for life.  It raised its dark head as its neighbor did so, and as its neighbor did so, and so on.  Peach looked up as well.
"Friends!" cried the Master Licknot, "I am happy to welcome our new queen to such a superb manor!  May her stay bring us the respect and honor that we deserve, but so long have not recieved!"  The royal fans cried in approval.  "May Princess Peach be welcomed here gratefully, and with hospitality!  For she is, my good people - ONE OF US!"
There was an even louder eruption applause, and Peach jumped, feeling startled.
"And now!" cried the high floating boo once more, "May we bring ourselves into the Great Hall, where we shall feast!" 
With cries of approval and anxiousness, the ghostly subjects suddenly flooded to the North end of the room, draining into a very large door.  Peach watched in awe as they all disappeared behind that door, leaving the room empty.  Peach could now see the magnificient room before her.  With many doors along the stone walls, and fine red carpet upon the floor, the entry hall looked honorable.  Red curtains hung from the borders of the ceiling elegantly, draping down a few inches in loops and curves.  Towards the North end of the room was a short flight of stairs, leading to the door in which the ghosts filed through.  At the door, two more flights of stairs split off in opposite directions, leading upwards to a wooden door at each end.  Along the walls of the entry hall were portraits.  Upon them showed some ghosts of people.  Being blue in complexion, with golden eyes that gleamed, they were painted in different poses that varied from ghost to ghost.  But the biggest portrait of all was above the mammoth door.  It was a wonderful picture of Booregard.  He was wearing his top hat, and smirking at the criticizer.  It looked as though the painting took place upon the couch of his carriage, though it was hard to tell where, exactly, he was located.
Peach was distracted from examining the room as the ghost suitor hovered close to her, offering an arm with a glee smile.  They were the only ones left inside the tremendous entry hall, and Peach turned her head to the ghost in disgust.  Booregard didn't seem to show any affect to this as he simply took up Peach's arm in his pearl white arm, pulling her along up the flight of stairs and into the large door.  Peach tried to recoil angrily from his grasp, finding that she couldn't.  She stumbled into a room that seemed as large as the entry hall!  Her glossy eyes gazed in disbelief, eyeing what lay before her. 
Upon the floor were four long tables, stretching all the way across the room.  Upon these very long tables were white table clothes, and nothing else.  The anxious ghosts hovered around the long edges of the narrow tables, talking to each other and making excited conversation.  The long room was lit by four magnificent chandeliers, maybe just a tad smaller than the ones inside the entry hall.  The walls were the same, honorable brick as before, and the carpet had split of into one long narrow strip that crawled down the stretching room until it reached a rather short table at the very end.  This table at the very North side of the room was located in front of an enormous structure of windows, peeking out at the dreamy night sky.  And in front of this window structure, behind the small table was a large black chair.  It was tipped with large points, reminded Peach of the horrid gate that waited outside.  As she looked to the ceiling, she found that it was painted as well, though not as the night sky.  It was painted as a regular ceiling with wide brown borders lining it.  However, upon the ceiling were also painted elegant, swirling boos.  With tails that were long, and smiles that were more gracious than fearing, the many painted boos were frozen in dance about the ceiling, their white bodies amiable and radiant.
Peach felt strangely entranced as she looked from one boo to the next, finding each one in a different pose than the other.  Suddenly, the terrible Booregard pulled the princess forward by her gloved hand.  She was lifted off of her feet with a brief yelp and then quickly flown to the far table at the end of the room.  She gasped as she felt herself slowly coming to a stop, her dress settling itself. 
Booregard smiled at her, taking a seat in his enormous black throne.  She looked at him anxiosly as she saw him wave a hand into the air.  A black chair suddenly appeared by his side, though not nearly as glamorous or as large as his throne.  It was simply a small, wooden black chair.  He patted the seat lightly, gazing at his new princess.
Peach's brow knotted as she felt her hands clench into fists.                                 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 11:27:20 AM by The Blue Toad »

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 12:16:59 PM »
Sorry I haven't updated in a long time.  I've been really sick lately.  :(

Chapter 6:  Trouble in the Resting Quarters

Upon the small, uncomfortable chair she sat.  Feeling small, and intimidated she looked up upon the suitor in the tall throne.  He smiled as gazed upon his subjects that were now seated at the tables about the room, taking in all of the apparent success of his kingdom.  He suddenly consulted the room, needing not to take a stand for he was already hovering above the seat of his mighty chair.
"Now let us eat!" he cried out, as applause broke free from some of the ghostly subjects.  Doors that were located at the side of the enormous room suddenly burst open, and plates gently glided out from their steaming origins.  They danced through the air until the plates could find a spot in front of a willing mouth to place itself on a table.  Peach watched in anxiety as the ghosts began to gobble upon their food gluttonously.  Peach rubbed her hands together as her head had a surge of dizziness. 
The swelling bump that resided there was still bothering her.  Her cheeks flushed in frustration as she held her eyes shut, rubbing her burning bruise.  Her teeth were bound together, and her toes curled inward.  Booregard looked upon his hostage of whom he sat beside.  He saw the great pain that she was in, and how uncomfortable she was feeling.
"Oh, princess," said Booregard.  "Simply eat some of my food, you're sure to feel better then."  The boo snapped his pale fingers as a plate of steaming roast stopped in mid-flight and changed direction.  It turned to Peach and glided neatly through the air, landing upon her table.  Peach looked at the food and felt her stomach cringe.  It wasn't that the food looked bad, or anything, it was simply that she felt very sick to her stomach.  She went light-headed simply at the smell of the food, and her stomach churned angrily as the fumes continued to enter her nostrils.  She shoved the plate away, clutching her stomach.
"No food," said Peach with a small groan.  Booregard frowned at her disappointedly.
"You want to talk to the chef?" he asked. 
Peach shook her head and replied, "I want to go home." 
Booregard's eyes narrowed upon her pale, sickly faced.  He rose a mischievous hand and tapped his maiden on her blonde head.  Peach scowled at his touch and was about to turn to him abruptly with a fine smack in the face.  However, Peach was suddenly sent flying the the air, taking sharp turns and quick spins.  Her eyes widened as she stomach leapt about in discomfort.  Peach could feel her hair whipping about in her face, and her head positively buzzing as if bees lived inside her brain. 
Her skin tugged on to her bones as Peach was sent through a swirling vortex of discomfort.  Finally, the fair princess came to a sudden stop.  She fell from the air and into a soft bed.  Peach's heart was fluttering like the wings of a hummingbird, and she was breathing as fast as ever.  She grasped her chest, panting heavily.  As she stared up at a blank, wooden ceiling, she felt the need to grasp the sheets of her bed as an attempt to stay where she was. 
"I hate this place," she said quietly to herself.  Peach breathed in and out and in and out, gradually decreasing her hyperventilating.  She tried her hardest to calm herself down.  With her eyes closed she took a deep breath through her small nose.
Alright, Peach.  Just make it through this.  You've been in many situations like this, and Mario always ends up saving you in the end.  Just don't panic......don't......panic........... 
Darkness comforted her like a warm blanket, sleep accompanying her.  Peach felt more calm and peaceful than she ever had been since she arrived at the terrifying mansion.  The sheets and blankets were beneath her as she simply slept in her poofy purple dress, too tired to care.  Slowly Peach began to awaken.  A narrow crescent of light greeted her through sleepy eyes as she pulled herself awake.  Peach was greeted with the familiar brown ceiling, and her stomach dropped in depression.  She let out a sad whimper as she brought her gloved hands up to rub her tired face.
Peach brought herself to sit up in the tangle of bedsheets that she rested on.  Instantly she let out a scream, her heart jumping at the sight of Booregard at the foot of her bed.  He watched her with terrible, twinkling eyes.  Peach recoiled in horror as the ghost let out a bone-chilling laugh. 
"Did you have a nice nap, my dear?" said he. 
"What are you doing in here?" said Peach quickly, still recovering from her most unpleasant surprise. 
"What do you mean?" said Booregard.  "This is my room!"  Peach furrowed her forehead.
"Y-your room?" she asked.  The suitor nodded happily in return.  "Well then...where's my room?!" cried Peach.  "I mean, if you're going to keep me locked up in this awful mansion you might as well give me a room!"
"Oh, princess, you have it all wrong!" Booregard said.  "This is my room and your room."     
Princess Peach laid him with a most disgusted look.  She narrowed her piercing eyes, and crinkled her smooth face.  Instantly she leapt from the bed, dispite her cringing stomach and stinging head.
"I refuse to share anything with the likes of you!" exclaimed Peach. 
At this the suitor merely laughed and said, "Not even a kingdom, my fine mistress?"
"I am not your mistress!" said Peach angrily as she felt her muscles clench in undeniable anger.  "I will never be your mistress!  Don't you understand you little urchin?  I will find a way out of here!"
"Oh don't be too sure," said Boroegard quickly, seeming to grow in size as he approached the bewildered Peach.  "No one ever escapes this castle without my say.  You shall marry me, and you'll be queen of this fine manor!"  He now appeared as a very large boo and looked upon the cowering Peach with a large and evil grin.  Peach shook upon the dusty floor below her as she gazed upon the enormous ghost and his gleaming eyes.  "Now come!" said he, "We shall sleep!"
Booregard floated over to the bed, shrinking back to his regular boo size.  Peach rose to her feet nervously as she looked over towards the bed.  Booregard hovered above the rustled covers and patted the spot next to him in the same fashion he had before.  Peach gave him an even more disgusted look than before. 
"I will never!" said Peach.  "I'd rather be a lowly servant in this awful house!"
Booregard gave her a peculiar look... 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 12:22:31 PM by The Blue Toad »

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 06:47:31 PM »
Chapter 7:  Inspection at the Mushroom Castle

The incessant rain continued its thirsty pour as the sky continued to rumble throughout the night.  Toadsworth nervously twiddled his thumbs as he paced from one side of the room to the other.  His eyes were heavy and his face was long and pale.  His mustache glowed whiter than ever, and he gave off a ghostly aspect.  His vision dragged across the shadowed carpet beneath his shuffling feet as he pondered to himself.  He could overhear two other toads nearby, and while he listened to their excited hisses of conversation he suddenly heard the sound of a motor engine driving up around the fountain outside.  He looked up and quickly ran to the door that he and the toads had been too frightened to close. 
Outside, he set his black eyes upon a rather small motorized buggy, much like the one that Peach was in possession of, only it was black instead of pink, and wasn't encrusted with hearts upon the hubcaps.  The buggy came to a halt at the foot of the stone bridge, which drew to the castle's open door. 
"Boys," said Toadsworth, "the detective is here!  One of you go out and get him an umbrella.  This rain is monstrous, we can't have him walking through it!"
A blue-spotted servant quickly pulled forth a light green umbrella from a stand near the door.  Placing his small hand near the very top, the toad pulled at its point.  The umbrella suddenly opened with an air-releasing poof and the toad proceeded to go out into the raging rainstorm.
He stepped into a large puddle, water splashing up and on the edge of his pants.  The sound of raindrops ricocheting off the top of the curving umbrella was the only other sound he sound hear besides his own footsteps.  The blue toad made his way up to the buggy where he slowed to a halt, looking upon the magnificent car in awe.  He stared into the glossy black window before him, waiting for someone to open the door.  Awkwardly he felt himself begin to tremble in the cold air, his teeth starting to chatter.  There was finally a click sounded from the door and it opened wide.  The toad stepped back as he saw a bob-omb step out.  The bob-omb resembled a cannonball, silky black and noble in its appearance.  Upon his round face was a gray mustache, curling on each end elegantly.  His mustache was accompanied by two enormous, bushy eyebrows that extended from beneath the rim of his fine, dark-blue bowler hat.  At the base of his bowler hat was a green and blue plaid ribbon.  This matched well with his bow-tie, which was also green and blue plaid.  But it did not stop there, for the old bob-omb also wore green and blue plaid socks, which looked rather ridiculous pulled up above his glossy black shoes. 
"Here, here," said he, looking into the stirring sky.  His voice was old and thick, yet sounded proper and English.  "Quite a storm, eh?  Best bring me inside, then."
He made his way underneath the umbrella, standing next to the blue toad.  He revealed that the key, of which erected from his back as most bob-ombs are in possession of, was well-polished silver, representing elegance along with respect. 
The blue toad then noticed that the bob-omb was not the only one of whom was inside the buggy and meant to approach the castle.  Apparently, the driver of the buggy was to be coming in as well.  The driver had opened the door on the opposite side of the car from where the blue toad stood and then let it shut with a crisp slam.  They then quickly made their way around, being quick to pace.  It was revealed that the other person to accompany them was a female yoshi, dressed tightly in a cream-colored trench coat.  Her small, green snout erected from the collar, and her black curls of hair dangled down from beneath the rim of a hat that looked as though it belonged on the head of a top journalist in New York. 
"Oh- er," said the bob-omb turning to the blue toad, "she can come along as well."
The blue toad replied with a nod of his head as he proceeded to guide the two guests to the front door of the castle. 
Toadsworth watched anxiously as they grew ever closer.  Perhaps, if the investigation went well, the detective would be able to find out what happened to Peach on this very night, and perhaps even where she was now.  That was the most important thing to find out at the moment.  The blue toad was now inches from the door as Toadsworth stepped back to allow his valued guests to enter from out of the careless rain. 
"Welcome!" he said as the umbrella was brought to a maladroit close, spreading raindrops all over the carpet.  The bob-omb looked around the room approvingly, hardly even taking noticed in the pieces of wood that were scattered about, which were due to the incident of the piano smashing through the door.  The yoshi girl took off her hat, revealing her two sweet-looking black eyes and her neatly-parted hair of black curls.  She looked around the room anxiously, pulling from her coat pocket a small pad of paper and a glossy black pen.
"Hello there," said the classy bob-omb respectfully.  He waddled up to Toadsworth and looked him in the eye.  "I am Detective Theodore R. Bom-Bers, at your service!" 
Toadsworth reached out a hand, saying, "Oh, well, that-that's very kind-"
"And I'm Amelia Eggington," said the yoshi.  "Top journalist for the Daily Mushroom."
"W-well," said Toadsworth, "it's very nice to meet you both.  Now, please, won't you-"
"Before anything else happens I want an exact play-by-play of what happened tonight," Detective Bom-Bers said abruptly.  "Tell me scene-by-scene of what happened, and where, and how, eh ol' boy?  I need to know precisely what happened here!"  With that he pulled forth a pipe and stuck it below his fuzzy mustache.  "You don't mind if I smoke, do you?" he asked, pulling out a box of matches as well.
"Oh, um, no, not at all," Toadsworth replied.  The detective lit up his pipe and huffed a few puffs to get it started. 
"Yes, I couldn't agree with you more Bom-Bers," said Amelia in her voice that sounded gentle and kind, yet eager and serious, "I want to know exactly what happened here.  I want to know the drama of it all, the in-depth story!"
"But make sure you write down the important things as well, Amelia," Bom-Bers said.  "You need to be sure to get the clues and the basics as well...we're working as a team here, remember?"
"Yes, yes I know," replied the yoshi.  "You put together the clues, I record them on paper.  I got it."
"Good then," said Bom-Bers, blowing a smoke ring from beneath the gray bushel of hair on his face.  "So then.  I say we hear it all, mister...uh.....mister.......?"
"Toadsworth..." said he, feeling a bit baffled.
"Oh.  Right, right.  My apologies Mr. Toadsworth.  Lets hear it then."
So Toadsworth told the entire story of Peach's kidnapping to Amelia and Detective Bom-Bers.  He made detail of what the princess had been like, and where everything happened.  He showed them the piano, and how it had been dragged out from its room and burst through the door.  Then Toadsworth began to draw near to the end of his story, in which he said, "Next the strange boo had in his hands some sort of cage."  Toadsworth looked into the floor, trying to picture the item Booregard had in his hand after Peach rejected him.  "It was like...it was like a birdcage!  Yes.  And he showed it to Peach and asked her if she liked it.  Peach asked the miserable suitor what it was, and he claimed that it was his house.  Then he held the birdcage over his ghastly head, and brought it down upon the princess like a hammer!  And then, Peach was gone!  She had simply disappeared as soon as the birdcage hit her!  Everyone was screaming, and began to move in on that terrible creature.  He simply laughed.  He laughed at all of us for even trying.  And then.....then he flew back outside with his six companions..... and before we knew any better.....they had all left in their yoshi-less buggy....birdcage and all......"  Toadsworth shook his head sadly.
"How odd..." said Detective Bom-Bers, knotting his brow in thought as he inhaled deeply upon his pipe.
Silence entranced the room, broken only by the soft percussion of rain outside and the sound of fierce writing from Amelia's pen.  Detective Bom-Bers had taken out a magnifying glass and was stroking his chin with it thoughtfully. 
"Well, Mr. Toadsworth," said Detective Bom-Bers.  "I don't know of how much help we can be... but I'll try my hardest to solve this mystery-or so help me, my name isn't Theodore Rufus Bom-Bers!"                 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 02:15:56 PM by The Blue Toad »

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 03:12:24 PM »
Chapter 8:  A New Setting

Peach screamed in agony as she clung to the rope with all her might, her legs scrambling to get a clean grasp around its narrow, wiry neck.  Her heart fluttered like a bird and her mind raced as the single line of rope swayed to and fro.  Her palms were red as they scraped along the lose threads, her knuckles white from hanging on so tightly.  Peach's legs were now wrapped around the rope like a coiled snake, quivering violently.  Her eyes were enormous as she looked down.  Her nightgown (which she had been given back after much argument) hung down carelessly below her feet as she gazed into a dark, never-ending pit.  Her screams echoed from the bottom of the pit and met her ears like haunting memories.  Peach then looked up to see the rope attached to the mere ceiling of Booregard's bedroom.  When the boo had heard Peach's refusal to go to bed with him, and after an argument between the two of them, the next thing Peach knew a trap door had given way beneath her, and a rope had fallen by her side.  Being instinctive, Peach had grabbed the rope to save her fall. 
Booregard looked down at her from over the edge of the square pit in which Peach fell.  He chuckled heartlessly to see his dear maiden, dangling helplessly like a worm on a hook.  Princess Peach looked down again as her chest heaved.  Her feet felt colder as they slid down the rope into darkness, and she panicked as they did show.  Quickly she shimmied her way up the rope, feeling her arms and legs burning from the rough texture.  She was now near the very top, at the ceiling.  If Peach had been a more daring girl she would have attempted to jump across the pit of which she past fell, onto the floor of her kidnapper to look him in the eye.   However, as Peach looked at the gap in which she would have to jump from the rope to solid ground, she decided otherwise.  She hung there, panting heavily. 
"How dare you!" she said through a rapid breath.  "I thought you cared about me!"  Peach blushed as Booregard began to laugh.
"Well, you obviously don't care about me!" said Booregard.  "Considering the fact that you can't even share a room with me without looking disgusted!"
"Well...!" said Peach, sounding fierce but then dying off with nothing else to say.
"Listen, princess.  I have a proposal for you," said Booregard as he began to pace around the black pit of which Peach dangled above shakily.  "Since you obviously do not see the privileges I am offering you as mistress, I will allow you to be one of my many servants."  Peach gaped, appalled at such an offer.  "Sh sh sh!" hushed Booregard as he continued.  "Wait, you have two options, my dear...  Either you help out around my mansion as a servant to learn how much better it would be to be mistress and change your mind about marrying me," Booregard stopped to take an intake of breath as Peach rolled her eyes.  "Or I can cut the rope your dangling from and feed you to the dark spirits below."  With that Booregard pulled forth a large, shining pair of scissors from behind his back with a wide, menacing grin.  Peach gasped shakily as she made panicky movements to get a firmer grasp upon the swaying rope. 
"I'll be your servant!  I'll be your servant!" cried Peach helplessly as she squeezed her eyes shut in horror, her body huddled towards the very top of the rope in desire for comfort, and safety, of which she found neither.  Booregard laughed once more as he threw away the scissors and snapped his fingers.  In a swift movement the rope was magically pulled out from the pit and the floor was closed beneath Peach.  With shaky hands and aching fingers, Peach let go of the rope as she plummeted to the floor beneath her.  Quickly she raced off of the spot of which the trap door was located, fearing if it should open again.  She smoothed her night gown with quivering hands as she watched Booregard hover towards her.  She gave a shriek as she was suddenly lifted into the air just inches off the ground by the hand of her kidnapper.  Together they glided out of Booregard's bedroom.  Peach hardly got a chance to take in the strange arts of the hallway they were gliding through for they went at such speed.  It was the same type of art that decorated Booregard's room, and it shrank into common decor the farther they traveled.
"Where are you taking me?" cried Peach as the ghost and her raced through the halls, going down steps and through doors.  He did not answer her but looked on ahead, a keen smiled spread across his glowing face.  It made Peach's stomach churn anxiously as she looked ahead. 
They were suddenly gliding at full speed down countless stairs, into the basement of Booregard's mansion.  Peach was frightened as she looked upon haunting portraits upon the flickering walls, lit by the flicker of warm-glowing lanterns.  They then burst through a door in which they flew through a long, winding hallway, empty of any living or non-living thing.  Booregard came to a sudden halt in the hallway, causing Peach to lunge forward and fall to the dark red carpet below her.  Quickly she stood up, brushing her elbows.  They were located in front of a brown door that was along the long, dark green hallway.  It was between two warm lanterns, and had bronze, dusty numbers 00011 placed upon it. 
"This," said Booreagard happily, "is your room."  He smiled.
"M-....my room?" said Peach.
"Yes," Booregard replied.  "You are my servant now, and this is where all of my servants are located; in these hallways of the basement."  Peach took a sharp intake of breath. 
"Booregard-" she began.
"No, no, no!" said Booregard suddenly.  "From now on, you serve me.  If you ever even come in contact with me, which my servants rarely ever do, you are to address me as Lord Licknot...understand?"
Peach glared at him and said, "Why, you awful little boo!"
"Ah ah ah!  I wouldn't recommend saying anything like that, measly servant.  I don't do lightly when it comes to punishments..."  Booregard smiled cruelly as he looked at Peach with sudden evil and frightening eyes.  Peach nodded nervously, holding her hands together near her frightened face.  "Now, then......good night...." Booregard said as he slowly faded away, leaving Peach to stand in the cold, dark hallway.  She instantly felt paranoid and grabbed hold of the bronze doorknob of room number 00011.  She gave it a twist and pulled open the door, wandering into a dark room beyond.  Her heart was upbeat, and her mind was blank.  She was alone, cold, and very afraid.  But perhaps the worst of it all was that she couldn't think of one good thing that came out of this.                   

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 04:47:09 PM »
Chapter 9:  A Hard First Morning

Princess Peach skimmed her hand across the bumpy wall to her left, letting it guide her through the darkness.  She stepped cautiously along the springy carpet, closing the door behind her.  She left herself in a room painted black, continuing her way through.  Her gentle hand brushed over the rather rough-feeling wall down a straight hallway.  Peach's heart pattered helplessly against her chest as she continued to tip-toe through shadow.  Suddenly, her hand stopped at a bump in the wall.  As Peach felt it a little better, she realized that it was a door frame.  Peach reached out with both hands to touch the two sides of the narrow door, leaning into another dark room beyond.  Helplessly, her left hand reached for the wall inside the new door.  Her fingers tapped along the wall-paper blindly as she let her sense of feeling search for a light switch.  She finally brushed across a dull thorn peeking out from the wall.  She pushed upon the thorn to suddenly be introduced to a small bathroom.  With a rather loud clicking sound the light switch had been activated, the lamp upon the ceiling shedding light unto the bathroom walls and floor. 
Peach gazed inside to see a rather small, but thankfully clean, toilet located at the very end of the room in a corner.  It was located next to a countertop.  The countertop held a built-in sink, and various bars of soap.  Above the countertop, located on the wall, was a mirror.  It reflected dully, and seemed rather dirty, but it was a fine vanity mirror none the less.  Opposite of the wall that held the toilet and sink was a shower, built in to the white tiles on the floor.  It extended up to thigh-height, a rather tall bathtub, with a shower nozzle erecting from the bow of the tub and up to the ceiling.  The walls were painted a pea-green, and over-all gave off a clean feeling.  Peach was most certainly surprised to see the pink curtains that hung along the shower rack as well.  If she ever took a shower, she might feel right at home surrounded by all the pink. 
Though Peach wasn't bothered by the bathroom so much, she still didn't allow its surprising cleanliness to cheer her up.  She simply assumed that Booregard must have had someone quickly tidy things up for her before she came.  Even though he was treating her rotten for a reason that helped only himself, he still could not fool love.  He still cared for the princess dearly, whether she was now his slave or not.
Peach made her way into the carpeted hall outside of the bathroom, not turning of the bathroom light as so she could see a little farther outside.  But as she stepped unto the springy carpet she found that all the light allowed her eyes to see was the wall outside, which gave her permission to believe that from the door she walked into a short, narrow hallway, could take a left turn up ahead to the bathroom, and as far as continuing north of the room she wasn't quite sure.
Peach touched her hand to the right wall this time as she continued deeper into her room.  She wandered into the darkness once more, silence filling up inside her ears like water in a cup.  Suddenly, Peach felt herself bump into a small table farther down.  She reached out to feel something rough, yet rather flimsy.  It had the structure of cardboard, and yet the feeling of roughly textured drapes that would hang over a window.  As she felt down lower on the object, she felt that the cardboard would cut off, and her hands landed on a smooth, round pot.  Then she felt the dangling of a chain brush over her hand, and Peach realized that she had been feeling a lampshade earlier, and that this was simply a lamp on a small night table.
Peach grabbed hold of the chain and gave in a tug downwards.  There was a soft click, and warm light poured down from the lampshade of the lamp, and shone out the top of the jagged circle as well.  Peach was now able to see her room before her, and she realized that perhaps that bathroom was the better part of the deal.  Inside the rather small, box of a room there was a single bed located in the center of the North wall, along with a small night table by its bedside.  The wall was still a pea-green color, which Peach thought looked better in the bathroom.  Along the South wall there was a small table that held a lamp (the table Peach had bumped in to) that resided to the left of a long row of two rather large wooden dressers.  Along with a bookshelf along the East wall with a tall lamp located in the corner, that was about all the made up Peach's new bedroom.  The princess, however, found that she didn't care much about the condition of the room, as long as it held a bed.  She was feeling more tired now than she had in a very, very long while.  With a stretch and a yawn the princess walked over to her new, rather small, bed.  She quickly pulled back the blue-colored covers to reveal a white sheet residing over the mattress and two pillows towards the head of the bed.  Her fingers brushed over the mattress, bouncing upon its springy surface once or twice.  Peach fluffed her pillows, organizing them to the way she new her head liked them; one over the other in diagonal positions.  With that she walked back to the round little lamp that gave off so much light, and with a single click the room was dark yet again.  Peach hurried back to the bed as she snuggled herself underneath the scratchy covers, falling asleep in the loud silence. 
Peach was awakened suddenly and abruptly that morning, giving her not a time to slowly greet the morning that awaited her.  There was a loud banging upon her wooden door that caused her to jump out of bed.  Her hair was tangled and in a mess, her faced pale and dreary.  Peach climbed out of her warm, springy bed, her feet landing on the cold, soft carpet.  The banging upon her door went away, though she instantly her the same banging sound on the neighboring door, and then the door next to that one, and the door next to that.  Peach looked around her dark room and raced to the lamp that she had bumped into the night before.  She found its metal chain, and gave it a yank.  The familiar, golden light greeted her small room once more.
Peach then realized what a good sleep she had last night.  It surprised her so how tired she had been.  Never had she realized that she was so vulnerable to sleep.  I expected myself to be tossing and turning last night, Peach thought.  But this is the best sleep I've had in days...  Peach decided not to think too much in to it and made her way into her bathroom, feeling rather confused.  What exactly was she supposed to be doing in the morning?  As Peach looked at her reflection in the mirror, she shook her head in disgust.  Being a servant or not, I can't go out anywhere looking like this!   
Peach looked about the room for a comb.  She checked the drawers of the countertop only to find shampoos and conditioners.  Feeling appalled at the fact that there were no combs, she settled for her fingers instead.  She ran them through her tangled, golden hair, a frustrated expression on her amiable face.  Her blonde curls sprung up stubbornly as Peach growled at them with impatience.  She finally got her hair to be the best that it possibly could that morning, and left the bathroom to check on her wardrobe.
Looking inside the first drawer of her dresser, Peach found a hideous set of french-maids' outfits.  They were silky black, and had white frills on the cuffs.  Peach glowered at the uniform, and opened up the second drawer in the dresser.  To her disappointment, she found nothing but the same maid outfits.  As the princess opened each and every drawer she found nothing but the same uniform.  Peach glowered and sat back down upon her bed, smoothing out her thin, pink night gown admirably.
It was then, to Peach's immediate shock, that another loud knocking greeted her wooden door.  Peach stood up to gaze down the hall at the door.  Her wide, blue eyes stared into the dark wood like arrows.  Perhaps, if she didn't make a noise, they would leave.  In fact, perhaps Peach could create the image that no one was living inside room number 00011 at all!  But as Peach thought this, another loud knock came to her door.  The princess, however, still refused to answer.  She sat back down in her bed, her cold bare feet crossing under her night gown.  She stubbornly sat there as more knocks beat upon the door. 
She then heard a click.  To her horror, she could hear the door swinging open.  Princess Peach's stomach churned and her eyes widened as she quickly crawled to the head of her bed, getting under the covers in horror.  She hid her head under the blue comforter, the only sound to accompany her being her heavy breathing. 
"Excuse me," said a voice in the room.  "New girl, you gotta get up!"  Peach remained quiet to the rather stern-sounding voice.  There was a brief moment of silence throughout the room, when the stranger suddenly yelled, "NOW!" and pulled the blanket off of the shivering Princess Peach.  Instantly she curled up her feet, hugging her knees to her chest and closing her eyes. 
"What's going on in here?" said another voice as someone else entered the room.
"Nothing, I'm taking care of it," said the familiar female voice. 
"Alright.  I'll meet you in the garden," said the second voice as it drifted off into the hallway outside of Peach's room. 
"Alright, missy, lets go!  No one likes their first day!"
Peach slowly opened her eyes and peeked over her shoulder to see a strict-looking Squeek lady, black in color, wearing a light-green dress with black boots.  Her small hands were crossed as she looked at Peach with a predominating gleam in her eye.  The princess reluctantly got up and out of her bed, feeling humiliated and frustrated at her childish behavior. 
"Go on!  Get dressed!" said the squeek lady maternally.  Peach slowly walked over to the dresser and re-opened the top drawer.  She gazed back down at the french-maids' dress.  Its white frills taunted her deceitfully. 
"Why does my uniform look so much more humiliating than yours?" Peach mumbled as she picked up the dress.
"I'm a gardener," the squeek replied loudly.  "You got positioned as a maid.  Now go on, get dressed and I'll explain to you what you're to do on your first day!"  At that Peach scowled, making her way to the bathroom with her horrible dress at hand.  She was happy to get out of sight of the strict squeek lady, and the moment her feet brushed across the cold bathroom tiles she slammed the door behind her.  Peach remained standing there, gazing into her maid uniform.  She heaved a heavy sigh.  Suddenly, she felt a single awkward tear rolled down her face.  Instantly Peach's hand rose up to meet it, whipping it away quickly.  She sniffed loudly, and then turned to look in the mirror.  Her brow was furrowed, her face stern.  She had her mind made up that she was going to get through this day strong, with her chin held high.  She was going to be leaving this hideous, surreal mansion if it was the last thing she'd ever do, and she wasn't ever going to do it by just sitting around and weeping with self-pity.                                         

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2006, 12:24:53 PM »
Hey!  Remember this story???!?!?!?!1?!!/1!?1?1?1!?123.1/2.3c? 
Yeah, okay, I've been putting this off for a long time now.  I just have a lot to do at the moment, and this isn't one of my top priorities.  But I'll make a chapter just for you!  But then I have to read Great Expectations, so it might not be a very long one.  :-(

Chapter 10:  The Ghost Siren

Peach gazed upon herself in the mirror, judging each aspect of her trim figure once her rather itchy french-maids' outfit had been put on.  The rough, black silk stretched down to the floor just as her oh-so familiar, and ever-so-missed, pink, lacey dress had once done back at the Mushroom Kingdom.  The sleeves were like two balls of poofy black fabric that seemed to raise high into her armpits.  It would seem as though any clothing item meant for her in this mansion had been made far too short.  Before re-entering her small room (only to face the disconsolate squeek lady) Peach tried her hardest to make her wiry blonde hair stay in a reasonable position.  Peach found that without a comb or a brush (or any grooming tool at that matter) it was near impossible to position her hair just the way she liked.  So she naturally gave up on her hair with an angry grunt of frustration.  She swung open the narrow bathroom door as the lady squeek looked up at her from sitting on the bed.  She hastily stood up on her two, booted paws, and stepped over to Peach.  Taking her by the hand with a sign of aversion, she guided Peach into the hallway contemptibly and took her past the many doors with impatient speed.  Peach was trying to keep up nervously, as she felt in anxious leap in her stomach at the fact that she had forgotten to put any shoes on.  Her bare feet were luckily hidden underneath the veil of black that was the bell of her dress.  Stubbing her toes more than once on the rough carpet of the hallway, Peach tried to keep up with her guide's swift turns and coercing arm.  After a sharp left turn Peach lead her eyes upon the sight of a steep flight of stone stairs before her.  Without any hesitation Peach was swiftly lead up the stairs as she tried to ascend her bruised feet high enough so that she wouldn't trip upon one of the chipped gray bricks that stood bluntly out before her.  The once-pampered princess finally finished her rapid climb with the obtrusive squeek, and found her self inside a rather open, square room.  It was not heavily decorated as Booregard's room had been, whose prodigious and eerie ornaments had filled his hall and his room to the point of not being able to breath properly.  It was rather bland, and there was nothing truly special about it.  However, Peach could see before her an assembly line of very many maids, all wearing the same, awkward outfit as she.  The line seemed to be made up of only female toads, and they were all listening, with slight trepidation, to a very supercilious-looking female ghost.  She was frosty, and colored a very pale purple.  She was also dressed in the ridiculous french-maids' outfit, though this did not create her an equal to the rest of the maids in any a way.  She was floating from the left side of the assembly line to the right and then back again, her ghostly hands placed behind her well-postured back.  Her two silver eyes shone from her long, impertinent face into each of the toads', looking at them with aversion, as though they were each so far below her and ignominious to the bone.  Her voice spoke shrill, sounding malevolent, yet at the same time, rather blithe, in a very eerie way.  Ghosts are never pleasant company.  So frightening they are, yet melodious at the same time.
"This is where you will meet every morning," the squeek lady said to Peach, who turned her gaze away from the ghastly, floating figure and instead towards the black, fuzzy mouse before her.  Her yellow eyes held a certain distrust as she looked at Peach and said, "You are to take your assignment from your ghost leader every single morning.  In this case, since you're a maid, your ghost leader is Lady Caprishriek, that ghost there.  You will line up as you see the other maids doing, and she will divide you all into small groups.  She'll give your group a task, and that's what you do for the rest of the day."  At these last few words Peach felt herself fill with apprehension, her timid hands clenching into trembling fists that rose to her chin, her bare feet overlapping each other as they were suddenly very cold.  Before she knew it her small, mouse-like guide had began her way down the steep flight of stairs. 
"Wait!" said Peach instinctively.  She would much rather take orders from her than the intimidating ghost, who was ordering the maids around as though they were all a litter of shameful puppies who needed house-breaking.  The lady squeek turned her head with her yellow eyes widened, her two pupils darting from Peach to the assembly line, and then from Peach to the assembly line once more.  With that she disappeared down the stairs, just as Peach her the lady ghost behind her call out, "Now be off with you!" with a voice that sounded joyous, yet shrill and impregnable.  Peach turned her timid, pale countenance in the ghost's direction, her lustrous blue eyes filled with dread.  All of the female toads had started for the door that was located to the North of the room, directly opposite from the flight of stairs of which Princess Peach had ascended.  They opened the double-doors and walked out in single file as Lady Caprishriek watched them all with contempt.
"Excuse me," Peach chimed up nervously as she slowly approached the lean, hovering ghost.  She neither turned her head nor moved from her spot near the double-doors.  Peach felt much reticence as she stood there awkwardly, her white-gloved hands clawing at the bell of her dress as a hope that her uncovered feet would go unnoticed.  She drew closer to the pale figure of the spirit, whose ghostly tail swished capriciously from beneath the hem of her french-maids' outfit.  "Excuse me," Peach said a little louder.  Lady Caprishriek was perpetual in her ignoring of Peach as she simply gazed out of the door, the last toad maid making her way through.  Peach knew that she heard her, for it was quite obvious she was just acting intimidating.  Whether it was working or not, Peach gathered up her courage and continued to speak.  "I'm a new maid here, and I was told to ask you for an assignment."  There was still the loud sound of silence between the ghost and the princess, until she finally turned her purple head to face the trembling girl.  Her silver eyes froze the depths of Peach's blue, and Peach was filled with such reticence and timidness that she couldn't find herself to speak. 
"A new maid?" said the shrill voice of the ghost.  She hovered over to Peach, looking upon her condescendingly.  "Why, you are the fool girl!  The fool girl who refused the Master Licknot!"  Her voice was melodious yet so very overbearing that Peach found she still couldn't speak.  The ghost siren glared at Peach until her entire body proved cold.  "Look at you now, fool girl.  You are but a lowly servant to the great Master.  Not his mistress, can never hope to be his mistress!  He would never marry you, now, fool girl, after you betrayed him as such!"  It was as though Lady Caprishriek was waiting for any answer from the poor princess, but found nothing of the sort.  She continued on, proceeding to give Peach her assignment.  "You are to dust all of Master Licknot's art in his gallery.  You will do it well, too, fool girl.  If you little work, I will be unafraid to report you.  And when a servant is reported, they're fed to the shadows.  Yes, they are all fed to the shadows.  And you will be too, fool girl, unless you do as you're told, and do it well!"                           
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 01:48:08 PM by The Blue Toad »

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 06:43:41 PM »
OMG!  Again?!?!?!?!@#>!@#>!@#@$!@%3425@2@@!!!?1@325u1345!!!!ui123y423143.1415162798241???
Yes, again.  The first post since like...April.  But, yeah.  I don't really like this story that much any more....mehhhh!  -_-'
Oh well!  Just do as J.K. Rowling, and write it any way!

Chapter 11:  The Truth Under the Top Hat

Thunder crashed suddenly as a streak of lightning bled across the sky, reflecting through the thin glass window pain.  Professor Bom-Bers gave close scrutiny to Toadsworth as he sat across from him in the lounging room, both of the elders taking rest in two great armchairs.  Toadsworth appeared vexed and tense as he avoided the stares from Bom-Bers by looking into the dancing fire, as though he were trying to solve a puzzle within its deep embers.  Bom-Bers puffed a ring of black smoke from the bowels of his brown smoking pipe, his mustache brustling with each inhale. 
"Alright, then, Toadsworth," said the old bob-omb.  "I will ask you to tell me everything about the princess.  Leave out not a detail of her personality.  What are her traits?  What defines me?  Hm.  Do tell."  He looked at him seriously, knawing on the end of his pipe with blocky teeth.
"Very well, detective, I shall tell you enough-"
"Though I would highly appreciate all, Mr. Toadsworth," responded the pompous detective, raising his bushy eyebrows at the awkward old toad. 
"Yes.  Um.  Well, where should I begin?"
"Mmmmm...looks should be a good place to start." 
"Very good, then.  The princess..." said Toadsworth looking off into space with a furrowed brow as though reluctant to answer the question.  "She has blonde hair...uhh...blue eyes."
"May I be so bold as to ask you not to be so vague, kind sir?" asked Bom-Bers.
"Oh, of course.  Yes.  She has shining blonde hair, that is rather bouncy, that travels down to about her waist.  In a few places along the golden hairs their are obstinate curls, but never are their tangles.  No.  The princess is very good at keeping her hair healthy.  Her eyes are a very clear blue, dark along the edges but lighter as the center defines itself, but then dark again where the pupil plots itself.  Very beautiful eyes...often glistening."
"Very good, very good," said the detective as he looked to the ceiling, trying to picture it.  "Continue."
"Alright.  Her face is very soft, and also very slender.  It is such an amiable face, that none may choose to argue with.  Her lips are pursed and rosy, and her skin clear and pale.  Her overall countenance is really quite beaming.  As far as her figure goes, she is very thin, but with curves all the same.  She appears a well-balanced lady, all-in-all.  Constantly wearing pink."
Detective Bom-Bers nodded gravely. 
"Does she have any enemies?" asked he.
"Well, I should say!  Being such an important, yet rather bliss, monarch, Peach rules over the Mushroom Kingdom in pure happiness, really."
"You mention her being bliss?" asked Bom-Bers. 
"Yes.  The princess is so very sweet, but in this can be quite forgetful.  Her mind often tends to wander, and she is no stranger to trouble."
"Yes, as I understand, she has been kidnapped many a time before this?"
"Oh yes, most definately.  I believe that our Princess Peach holds the record!" Toadsworth took his time to laugh.  "She tends to be so spoiled and well-spoken most of the time, that I sometimes think that she might believe everything happening to her is beneficial."
"I see..." said Bom-Bers as he took the pipe from his mouth for a moment, spewing a ring of smoke from beneath his hairy upper lip.  A crackle of thunder sounded in the distance as Bom-Bers directed his gaze into the fire, and then back at Toadsworth.  "Well, as far as I understand it, this princess is much a trophy to those looking for love.  Being so beautiful and bliss, it is no wonder she is found in these kidnapping situations so much in the first place!" said the bob-omb in a huff. 
Toadsworth opened his mouth to speak on account of the poor princess, though found hadn't the time, as Amelia, the yoshi reporter, just then stepped into the room carrying a rather small pile of books. 
"What are these, Amelia?" asked Bom-Bers, indicating the books.
"These are all I could find involving this mysterious kidnapper.  They're very vague, but clues nonetheless," she said as she set the book upon the small coffee table in between Bom-Bers and Toadsworth.  Her fragile hands picked up the top book on the pile as she brushed a strand of curly black hair from out of her eyes.  She opened the book to a page marked by a thin sheet of paper, and began to read.
"In 1956, it was reported by Princess Daffodil of Sarasaland that she had been taken without consent by a strange ghost.  It was said she disappeared on June 11th, noted by her servants that it was while she was tending her garden in the front of her castle.  The princess had reported that she had been greeted by a ghost carriage, and had been treated with an attempt of wooing from a boo.  The princess states that she remembers nothing more of that, other than being taken into what she claimed was 'another world' and being conquered physically, mentally, and especially emotionally.  The princess reports not remembering how she arrived back to earth, but had been in a fragile state ever since.  Princess Daffodil died seven months after such acclaimed accident, much to the sorrow of her public."  Amelia shut the book dramatically as a streak of lightning shone through th glass pane once more. 
"You believe this ghost to be the same who is now haunting Princess Peach, then?" asked Bom-Bers.
"Well, its the closest thing we really have that's written down on paper."
"And what are in these other books here?" asked Bom-Bers, indicating the other two stakes of pages bound by dust book covers. 
"Here is more evidence I found useful.  One states the nature of boos, and how they often tend to find their homes in haunted objects, such as toy chests, music boxes, and quite coincidentially, bird-cages.  Am I not mistaken in repeating that Princess Peach was hit in the head with a bird-cage before she disappeared?" asked Amelia, looking to Toadsworth with her beautiful eyes.
"Uhh-h...yes..." said the pale old toad.
"Mhm...it seems to fit together well, does it not?  But, along with this I discovered a book that held not only the same story of Princess Daffodil, but of another princess.  Dating back to 1894, it was said that Princess Sweetpea of the Bean-Bean Kingdom disappeared randomly one night, and was never reported to return.  It was stated in the book that none of her servants saw anything of what happened to her, though it was said that only one saw with his own eyes a buggy, with nothing pulling upon its reins, travelling away from the castle on that very night..." 
"Mmmmm, very peculiar, yes, yes....you believe this kidnapper is that very same?" asked Bom-Bers.
"Well, considering the fact of how long a boo is capable of remaining upon this earth, yes, I believe that the kidnapper of Princess Sweetpea and Princess Daffodil may very well be the kidnapper of the poor Princess Peach..."   
Toadsworth turned his attention to the fire once more as he felt sweat form upon his brow, and his collar tighten around his neck. 

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2006, 10:11:42 PM »
I say, story, stay up!

Chapter...what chapter am I on?....Chapter 12:  In Which the Vase Did Fall

Peach's hands trembled slightly as she gazed into the rancorous dispute that was taking place a few yards away from her, feeling the heavy burden of pressure settle itself upon her meek shoulders.  Lady Caprishriek was arguing with a rose-colored boo in hushed voices at to not attract any attention, though it was quite clear by their fierce gestures and sharp eyes that there was a problem at foot.  Peach could hear not the entire discussion between them, but rather snippets of what they were chiding on about.  Being infamous for her keen hearing, the princess felt it a guilty pride to her being able to eavesdrop so well on others' conversations (she used it much as a child). 
From her possibly misinterpreted conclusions, Peach could easily tell that she was not going to be a maid for much longer than today.  She saw the rose-colored boo point her upper-lip to the ceiling and hover away condescendingly.  Lady Caprishriek glided back over to the princess in an angry gust, Peach jumping slightly at the sudden approach.  Her icicle eyes stung Peach's warm ocean puddles as she took in a frosty breath of air.
"Alright, fool girl, we've discussed your punishment," said Lady Caprishriek.
"And?" asked Peach, trying to make it appear that she was in belief of her every right to be punished, with the fear in knowing what the ghost siren's pride might do to her if she wasn't. 
Lady Caprishriek grinned at the poor monarch in a way that was heartless. 
"You have been assigned to the Royalty Chamber," said the curvy figure of mist as she leaned closer into Peach, her eyes entrancing the princess. 
"The," Peach began slowly as she became lost in the depths of silver, "Royalty Chamber?"
"Yes...and after you have finished with that job you are to be reassigned."
Lady Caprishriek suddenly turned away with her back towards the bewildered blonde.  Peach was touched unexpectedly by the soothing hand of relief as her mind went at ease, for only a moment, at the thought of never having to wear a maids' dress again.  But as soon as the hand of relief touched her, it also passed on, for Peach realized that however luxurious the Royalty Chamber might have sounded, it most certainly couldn't be good.
"May I ask," she began politely, speaking into the back of Caprishriek, "what is the Royalty Chamber?" 
Lady Caprishriek answered her not and continued hovering down the deep red hallway until she disappeared through a wall, her ghostly purple tail left to follow behind.  Peach heaved a frustrated sigh as her face grew an angry shade of red.  She had been left so rudely to stand awkwardly in the middle of a random hallway.  To make matters even worse, Peach wasn't sure where she was!  The hall that held her burden was small and rectangular, with six different exits (or entrances, depending how you look at them) surrounding on all sides.
The poor princess felt as though she were a lost child on the first day of school.  Her stomach was anxious and her head was so very light.  As her eyes rested upon her pale hands, she worried as she found them to be in an incessant tremble that she couldn't control.  Food hadn't touched her lips in two days, and her ravenous state lead her to think of nothing but sweet cupcakes, pastries, and all the delicious foods she would bake up in her kitchen at home.
As her mouth began to water, she suddenly took sight of a toad maid rushing through the doorway to the left of her.  The toad looked in haste, and suddenly very reluctant to choosing the entryway in which she had passed through.  She quickly made her way past Peach, her small feet scurrying across the wooden floor as she cradled a stack of clean white sheets very carefully.
"Excuse me!" said Peach loudly.  The toad refused to come to a halt.  Peach suddenly felt some sort of rage run through her body.  "You!  The toad!  I commanded you to stop, do you not hear me?!"       
The maid suddenly turned to look at the princess, her face very hard and cold.  Peach was under such common circumstances of having toads tend to her every whim, that the princess had forgotten the level at which she now ranked.
"You command me?" the maid said mockingly.  "Who do you think you are, blondie?  A princess?"
"As it just so happens!" Peach said proudly, her chind in the air.  "I am!"
"Pffft!" the maid guffawed as she rolled her eyes.
"And I would like you to tell me," the princess continued as though the rude interruption had not occured, "what the Royalty Chamber is."
"The Royalty Chamber?" the maid repeated, as a sudden, rather unexpected, look of fear, interest, and sorrow seemed to glaze over her eyes, all at once, though disappeared just as quickly as she suddenly broke out in a small laugh.  "You?  You want to know what it is?"
As the maid paused for a response, Peach said, "Well...  Yes, yes I do!  Is there something so terribly wrong with that?" 
The maid shook her head and stated, "I pity you, new girl, and so will my friends when I tell them this."  With that, she took leave of the princess, letting her alone once again in the blood-colored hall.  Peach felt tears well in her eyes.  Never before had she been treated so rudely.  Not even Bowser had ever had the nerve to speak to her in such a way.
The young blonde kneeled to the floor meekly, heaving yet another sigh of self-pity.  If only she hadn't been so careless, and if only she hadn't bumped into the coffee table while dusting the bookshelf, and if only the tall, sparkling vase hadn't toppled to the floor, and if only it hadn't shattered to pieces, and if only Lady Caprishriek hadn't come in time to see Peach trying to clean it up...but to say 'if only' is to only stand and dream of past faults, a thing which Peach liked not to do. 
"Princess!  What are you doing in here?" said a tough feminine voice from behind.  Peach turned her amiable face to see the black gardening rodent, the very one who had woken her up this morning.
"You!" Peach stated.
"You better not let Lady Caprishriek catch you slacking off, or she'll blow her top!  Stand up, stand up!" said she.  Her black boots marched her across the room as she set down her basket and watering can.  Peach took hold of her furry black paw and rose to her naked feet.
"Thank you," stated Peach quietly as she looked to the floor.
"What's the matter with you?  Do you want to get thrown down on the first day?" asked the little mouse bluntly as she pulled a white hankerchief out from her dress pocket.  "Here, take this," she said, handing the small piece of fabric to Peach, "and stop crying already!"
Peach took the hankerchief and was surprised to feel her cheek was damp with tears.  Shame flooded her veins as she wiped her blues eyes clean, and her pale skin soft. 
"Where are you supposed to be, anyway?" asked the squeek-lady.
"Where am I supposed to be?"
"Mhm."
"...I don't know," Peach said truthfully as her eyes darted from one door to the next. 
"What?!  What do you mean you don't know?" 
Peach took a deep breath as she straightened her back, clearing her throat.  "Well," she began slowly.  "After a brief...accident, I was consulted by that Caprishriek lady and told that I was to be reassigned."
"You're going to be reassigned?" the squeek-lady exclaimed in surprise as Peach nodded.  "Why?  What did you do?"  She looked excitedly at the princess with her yellow eyes gleaming, and her small black nose twitching. 
"I accidentally broke something," Peach said confidentally.  As she found the lady-squeek's reaction to be smacking her furry forehead and shaking her head in disappointment, Peach suddenly felt a heap of disappointed overwhelm her on her own account as well.
"So for that you're just being reassigned?"
Peach swallowed through a hard lump in her throat.  "Well, yes...  Though, I have also been punished."
"I should think so" said the squeek lady, foldig her arms.  "What is it?"
"The punishment?"
"No, the day of the week.  Yes, the punishmet!  So, out with it!"
"I was assigned to the Royalty Chamber," Peach said nervously, dreading the squeek lady's reaction.  It was her reaction that would determine whether the punishment was good or bad.  An overwhelming gasp and Peach would know that doom was yet to come, a small nod and Peach would know that a small bump would simply appear along the road, and silence would be somewhere in between.
"The Royalty Chamber?" she repeated as the princess nodded, feeling her head rush as she was holding her breath at the time.  "Well, just hope and pray that a wealthy guest doesn't come to stay."  Peach exhaled.
"What do you mean?" she questioned.
The lady squeek sighed as she repositioned her watering can and basket back down on the floor.  "Here at the Licknot Manor there is a room upstairs that is the best guest room of them all.  Only the most wealthy clients get to stay there.  Every time that room is occupied means that one maid has to assist the creature in that room at all time, getting them food, making their bed, folding their clothes, running their bath, and basically doing everything for them.  It's a dirty job, and it looks like its been assigned to you!"
Peach's stomach churned dramatically.  She felt her face flush in humiliation at the thought of doing such a job, and all for such a small fault. 
"But, don't worry too much about it," said the mouse.  "Its rare to have that kind of guest come to stay."
Peach nodded solemnly, feeling terse at the unfortunate events of the day.  The squeek lady picked up her watering can and basket and headed back towards the door she had entered through to continue her way down the hallway she was passing down.
"Wait," said Peach.  The squeek-lady came to a halt and turned her head.
"What?" she asked as though vexed, her round ears turning towards Peach.
"What's your name?" asked the princess.
"It's Aubrey," said the mouse, blushing slightly.  She then came to turn fully around and look at Peach.  "And if you want to get back to your room I suggest you take that exit, there," she said, pointing at a door behind Peach.  Peach looked behind her to find that the door lead to the very room where she first met Lady Caprishriek only a few hours ago.  Feeling very stupid at having been oblivious to her surroundings, Peach turned again to thank Aubrey.  But Peach was alone.               
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 10:13:54 PM by The Blue Toad »

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2006, 02:50:23 PM »
Something will happen!  Trust me!

Chapter 13:  The Princess Reassigned

It was later in that day that Peach, having returned to her room feeling so deflated in spirit, was visited by none other than a rose-colored boo, who had arrived inside the princess's small abode via wall, without any warning or invitation.  The supercilious ghost, holding her pencil and clipboard in a haughty fashion, helped the princess to her reassigning, in which Peach was asked a number of meaningless questions, some of them involving Booregard on which occassions the blushing boo would gnaw at the eraser of her pencil until it threatened to detactch itself.  When asked the final question, 'Which of the following skills would you say to prevail at?', the princess stated that she was best at cooking.  It was from this that she was given her new assignment.
"You are to be a chef," the boo stated bluntly, scribbling something upon the clipboard with her chewed up pencil. 
"What?" Peach said more as a statement than a question.  "You bombard me with meaningless questions and this is all you come up with?"
"Those questions were not meaningless!" the boo shot back, her black eyes contrasting much with her rosy complexion.  "They allowed me to see what an ignorant girl you are!"  Peach grunted in disbelief as her questioner quickly hovered out through the wall before the princess could manage to chide a response. 
The night brought nothing but anxiety to Peach as she laid in her bed, unable to shut her weary eyes.  She was still nowhere close to finding her way out of the haunting mansion she was kept in, but all the same felt hopeful of the outside world.  She knew that Toadsworth wouldn't let her disappearance go so unnoticed and unthought after.  It never worried her to think of what trouble he must be going through to get her safely home.  It was that very warm thought of the castle that brought about Peach's heavy eyelids. 
Heavy knocks and commosion in the hallway was what stirred the princess to wake as it was a new morning once again.  She groaned as her arms stretched above her head, reaching towards the ceiling.  Her wiry blonde hair attatched at her forearms, the meandering frays of her once-golden locks hanging on to anything they could, with confusion of beimg at their current state. 
Reluctant to doff her conforting nightgown, Peach pulled open the dresser drawer to see what uniform called upon her today.  Pulling it from its den, Peach decided that the chef's outfit was far better than the french-maids' rags.  It consisted on a long white dress, not lacy or poofy in the least, and a light pink apron.  The material of the dress was almost as soft as her nightgown, and she decided not not be intolerant of the way it fit (though Peach thought still that the armpits of the dress were too high). 
After being dressed by the reflection of the large bathroom mirror, the anxious princess did what she could with her hair.  Though it looked curlier than usual, and was far from perfect, Peach set it in her mind that she did not want to woo anyone with her looks in the first place, and cared not of her appearance in such a surreal place as Licknot Manor.  However, Peach forced herself to wear the white shoes, as she would feel quite ridiculous barefoot in a dress that didn't even reach her ankles. 
The hard, glossy pieces of footwear, however, were quite comfortable, and had heals that hardly even reached a half an inch off the ground.
"Come on!  You haven't got all day!" cried a rather rancorous voice from outside Peach's door.  Her stomach jumped as she flipped her wavy blonde locks one last time and darted out the bathroom to show her pale face to the hall.  A grumpy-looking toad stood at the opposite side of her door.  He mumbled to himself as he moved along down the corridor, stopping at each door to give it a good pounding and a shouting to. 
The princess had found herself unsure of where to go yet again, though found relief as she took sight of a koopa in the very same uniform as she.  Being satisfied at her discovery of a co-worker, Princess Peach followed the koopa at a safe distance until it lead her up a short flight of a stairs.  Being cautious, Peach hovered at the foot, waiting to see what the peak of the short climb would bring her.  The koopa smoothed out its apron as it opened the door.  The sound of clinking knives and ringing buzzers emitted from inside, and Peach was sure that it was the kitchen.  The door shut as the sounds disappeared from Peach's mind, and she quickly made her way up the stairs.
The room behind the door was most unmistakebly the area for the chefs.  It seemed as though everything inside was made of old, glossy white tiles, that had faded in their long years, and chipped, and had been scathed to the point of looking very homey.  One might say that the room dind't judge you at all, but rather asked you of your talent and proceeded to observe your actions in a wise and respectful manner.  The tiles crawled up from the floor at the steepest of angles, and proceeded to travel upward until coming to a very precise halt, in which the rest of the wall up would consist of simply being painted a soft color of orange.  Wooden tables rested at rather random areas throughout the room, carrying items such as bowls of vegetables, loaves of bread, skillets of mixed foods, piles of flour and dough, and various kitchen ware.
Toads, koopas, and a large range of varying creatures were all very busy, at the moment, that they did not notice Peach come in.  The princess was puzzled to see the actions that they were all participating in, and felt a sudden quench of uneasiness rush over her as she was the only person present who was confused at what to do.  The many chefs (all in uniform) were lining up together in a single file, rather the same of what the maids were doing when Peach first saw the ghost siren.  As the cooks continued to organize themselves straightly, the poor girl proceeded to fumble with her fingers.
Taking in a new breath, Princess Peach decided that she would feel confident about herself, and she refused to let any lack of self-assurance interfere with her common knowledge.  Like the rest of her co-workers, she stood at the end of the line, back stiff and shoulders back, looking at the penguin next to her as a comparison to what she ought to be doing.
"Alright everyone, quiet now, the Lord Van Vougore will be coming anon!"  piped up a rather sophisticated-looking shy guy from the opposite end of the line, looking in control of what was taking place. 
Peach felt her stomach churn and her lungs heave, feeling very anxious to meet the one called Van Vougore.  She hadn't much doubt in her mind that he was the ghostly leader of the cooking department in Licknot Manor, just as Lady Caprishriek was of cleaning.  She ran her hands over her apron nervously as silence finally took fall over the glossy room.
As the kitchen found its contents terse, it replied with an eerie echo as to having its foot in its mouth.  The princess simply looked straight ahead, trying to blend in with her surroundings in the best she possibly could, and hoping for the acceptance from the rest of the food connoisseurs, which she most wantingly pleaded for inside.  But, if not acceptance she recieves, at least respect of her business and her ways (thinking of the rude and vile maid she had met in the hallway on that loatheful afternoon). 
Peach's anxiety was brought to a forcably sudden halt, as the reason for all such pressure in her bosom had arrived through the narrow door (or, perhaps, too narrow door) at that precise moment.  It was the ghastly ghoul called Lord Van Vougore, also known under the title of Head Chef.  He was as green as a sea-sick captain, and as round a hot-air balloon.  His ghostly tail was so small, that it dared contrast much with Van Vougore's sphere of a body.  His chubby face was paler than the moon, or rather, it was as white as soft flour, either metaphor would work, and had beady black eyes like buttons, much segregated from the round silver icicles of Lady Caprishriek.  Below a red bump in the center of his face was a slimy little black mustache, smoothed over so much that one may not ever be able to notice a single strand of hair popping from its glazed fixture. 
Peach found the ghost rather intimidating, more than probably due to his large presence, unfound specks of eyes, and very small, stiff, knotted mouth.  However, the poofy white chef's hat atop his round head looked so very much unlike him, that Peach could help not but let out a stifle of laughter.  It was in this small giggle that Peach's hand was immediately brought to her mouth, and her ears grew very much red.  It was unfortunate for the princess that Lord Van Vougore was to hear her, and hovered to her side like a boulder, his large white apron bellowing along his belly.  As he moved closer, the poor protagonist could've sworn he grew even more mammoth than that he was before. 
"'Ees something funne', pretty girl?" asked he, his French accent making his voice sound arrogant. 
Peach was far too frightened to speak, or rather, it was that or she was still trying to hold in another small outburst of laughter as she looked into the face of Van Vougore, passified greatly by the bundle of marshmallows sitting atop his head.
"No..." Peach finally stated, with an added, "sir."
"Well then why do you laugh, hmm?" he said.  It was when his massive hand stretched to one of his jiggling chins that Peach noticed that this creature before her had not two arms, but four.  He was a quad-handler!  Two arms were on each side of his great torso, one being directly underneath the other.  They were very great arms, though not showing much (or any) muscle, great all the same in their size.
"Vou laugh for what reason, my fleur?" said he again, in a tone that sounded anything but sweet.  The two bottom arms that were opposing each other folded condescendingly while the other proceeded to rest its elbow on its neighbor, thus bringing its hand to stroke the chef's chin in curiousity. 
"There, is..... nothing," Peach said, closing her mouth as if nothing more was she to say to get the point across any clearer.
There was another great silence that encircled the room.  Oh, if the discomfort were to last but much longer Peach was sure of something inside her being tempted to burst!  It was after much an uncomfortable lifetime that Van Vougore turned his back and guided himself to the line of symmetry stretching from the medium of the single file.
"Vou all know your jobs, no?  Get to them then!  And make haste, for patience today I have not!" cried he, directing his finger (which was, if you must know, the finger residing on the top arm of his right shoulder) into the air, and pursing his already tight lips.
Peach's stomach did a quite familiar backflip yet again, as she was in the comfortable position of knowing not a thing she ought to be doing. 
"Me fleur, vou are to pound le dough!" said Van Vougore suddenly at Peach, giving her instructions for the day.  Peach was hesitant in movement, but nodded shyly all the same as Van Vougore confirmed her acknowledgment, and proceeded to float over to a large stove poistioned near the center of the tiled room.
The dainty princess tugged upon her collar, and inhaled a strong breath of flour and scents.  Though this first day of work was beginning far better than the last, Peach was still aware that accidents were bound to happen, and that she needed to be careful.  Tying her hair in a pony tail, she made her way over to the long wooden table near the wall, in which there was a group of toads pounding out clumps of heavily floured dough.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 06:29:38 PM by The Blue Toad »

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 06:46:52 PM »
One may take to notice that this story is moving like honey, taking its sweet time to be told.  I'll ask the reader to be patient, and realize that the protagonist's journey in this tale is quite the same as what you read.  If one feels frustrated at the loss of action, one must also feel that Peach is sharing the emotion along with you. 
I will ask you, now, to reflect on what has happened thus far, and I'd also like to thank you for reading this.

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2006, 08:13:41 PM »
Chapter 14:  The Painting Speaks

The fatigued girl who, has come to be the center of this story, tucked herself between the blankets of her bed, resting the curves of her back on the slightly uncomfortable matress and her sweet head unto her pillow.  When the sun had stretched its rays throughout the sky earlier that day, Peach had a time that she could not call to be as bad as the one before.  Not a mistake was made on her account, and she found that pounding dough was not at all a hard job to manage.  In fact, she was rather proud of her being of even more skill at such task than the toad next to her.  As Peach recalled this though to herself she heaved a sigh of grievance.  Why, one may ask, would she suddenly feel sadness at the thought of her feeling happy?  The answer might be obvious to some.  Her deep blue eyes glossed over with a heavy grief because of the fact that Princess Peach was becoming accustumed to her stay at Licknot Manor.
She wanted not to stay here!  On the contrary, she wanted to run from this place as fast as she could!  I didn't matter whether or not she was a good chef, it didn't matter whether or not she tipped over a priceless vase, it dind't matter if she was thought of poorly, or treated like dirt, or pushed around, or whether her hair could be tamed.  It didn't matter what she thought of her company, it didn't matter how her day went, or how it ended, or how it began.  It didn't matter if she was humiliated, or if her reputation was put off the edge, or if she did just the opposite.  It didn't matter if she made a new friend, or gained any respect, or found love, or lost it.  All the mattered, or should have mattered, was that she was being held captive in an unfamiliar place by a cretin, and that she needed to get out.
Peach's cheek was stained by a tear as she sat up in her bed, encircling the base of her fine torso in a heap of wrinkled blankets.  She stared out in darkness before her, her shoulders hunched forwards and her hair in her face.  It was true that she was becoming too attatched to this place, which was now her greatest fear.  If she began to like it here, with its painted surfaces and impressionistic feel, Peach worried that her feet would stand still upon its brush-strokes of ground, and forget of the home she once loved; the people she once knew. 
Her goal should not be to feel success after a hard day's work, but rather to escape from the cage that held her so tightly, yet comfortably all the same.  Her heart leapt at the thought of growing old in such a nightmare as this, and she found another tear slide down her cheek, and her anxious legs bound for the floor where they stepped in place eagerly.  Our poor protagonist stood in her cold room next to her tempting bed, whimpering in the darkness to nothing but the utter silence that filled her presence.     
Not taking another moment to breath, Peach rushed for the drawer and began to search the cabinets.  Though they were mainly filled with clothes, Peach found other various items stored adjacent to them as well.  She picked out a long baton of wax that had a bit of black wire erecting itself from the top.  Next to this, she had found a matchbox, and proceeded to strick one up into flames and light the black wire.  With the candlestick held tightly, she escaped from her room, closing the door bearing numbers '00011' behind the fall of her bare heel. 
In the eerie corridor beyond, the candle light acted as a small flickering lantern, not quite able to conquer the thickening dark air.  The bearer of light shut her eyes tightly as she very slowly closed the door, clenching her teeth when the doorknob clicked to a resting halt.  She then looked from right to left, wondering which way she ought to venture, trying to recall upon the first time she had been taken down to this vile place.  However, the princess was feeling so very antsy, and so very reluctant to stay in the cage she named a room, that she went left without deciding to the full extent of her mind.  Her curved feet fled quickly across the carpeted floor, trying to keep her heavy, and very frightened, breath still. 
She could have sworn that the narrow walls on either side of her were growing ever so narrower that her pace quickened and her movement became more rapid.  Her eyes extended at the flickering light, which guided her blindly, and she was ever so eager to get out of the maze that was the basement corridors.  She took a right, and then a left, each corner she passed around leading her into yet another long line of mysterious doors.  Peach's frustration lead her to recklessness, as the only other feeling that raced throughout her body was the incessant and ever-growing need to be rid of the place of where she found herself trapped.
But then there was a sound, a most frightening sound to one who would ever find themselves in such a position as Peach.  There was a murmur of voices resounding from someplace before her in the hallway.  The princess felt her heart pound, and her blood flow quicker than a fountain as she heard the murmuring grow more rapid and louder.  Surely whoever was wondering about had spotted her candlelight, and she knew that being found could not be an option.  Peach turned around, staring into nothing but a very long hallway. 
There were footsteps coming nearer to her, and there was no way that she could travel such a long distance before being figured out.  Her head was pounding with a nervous rage, and her breathing suddenly became hectic. 
"Hey!" she suddenly heard someone say a good distance down the dark corridor, beyond the boundaries of her sight.  Peach gazed down that hall, seeing no one, but knowing that someone could see her.  Her violently shaking hand grabbed a random doorknob to the entryway left of her, and she quickly entered inside without even thinking.  Peach had closed the door behind her as she stumbled over what she had later discovered was a mop.  She could still practically hear her stalker coming on to her, but whether it was his footsteps or her heartbeat that was ringing in her ears, she could not tell.  She stumbled into the corner of what appeared to be a broom closet, cramming her way behind a carboard box, and in between two vacant bookshelf that were dusty with cobwebs.  With nose between her huddled knees, Princess Peach blew out the candle as all that surrounded her become dark, and rang with the silence of fear. 
Oh, the hope that she had that she shouldn't be found in the corner of such room was very strong, and she waited quietly, trying to ease her thundering heartbeat and pounding head.
To her horror, the door diagonal from her swung open casually, as a ghost reeled in its ugly head.  It gave off a very dismal, dark glow that looked more of stubborn dust hovering about its mischievous head.  The ghost's dull green eyes scanned the room blindly as the cornered princess held her breath from behind the cardboard box.  It licked its teeth and snarled with choler before closing the door and floating away.  The princess closed her eyes and eased her muscles with great relief, resting her head upon her cramped knees.  She heaved a heavy breath and let her shoulders tremble.  Suddenly, the door swung open yet again, this time more fiercely than before.  Peach gasped as her head leapt to her shoulders and her back tensed in horror.  Her head cupped over her mouth as her bulging eyes gazed into the green ones of the ghost, her blood running cold and her heart playing like a drum.                   
To her great luck, the ghost still noticed her not, and at being disappointed at not catching the loiterer while they were out of hiding, closed the door yet again and moved on.  This time Peach was still in shock, and her whole body shook in heep horror.  However, she felt very safe behind such box, but thought it not a good idea to stay in the same place if the ghost were to come back and lay down scrutiny.  She managed to pull herself up and stood awkwardly in the darkness of the broom closet.  Her cold fingers trembled, and as she bent down to pick up her candlestick, she proceeded to push the cardboard box aside as well.  She regained the stick of wax, and stepped to the place where the box had earlier made rest.
It was then that very suddenly, however, Peach was most unwantingly greeted by two sudden spots of light.  She leapt in the air, and proceeded to sit down between the bookshelves yet again, only now not so very hidden by the cardboard box.  Her eyes bulged as she looked into the yellow eyes of a ghost.  The ghost's eyes glowed a valiant yellow, and came to show that they appeared from the head of a man in a portrait that leaned against the closet wall.  Much to Peach's great distress, the man in the portrait began giving off a glow the same as his eyes, only of a pale color blue.  His beard became a shimmering silver, and his brown jaket a fuzzy bronze.  The very man in that portrait was coming out, appearing to the poor princess as a ghost.  She stared in disbelief , her shaking hand brought to her quivering mouth in fear.  At last the ghost was free of its portrait, the frame holding nothing now but a painted background. 
The old-looking ghost gazed at Peach, looking just as puzzled as she.  His craning neck held a sallow face, with very sunken ceeks and a large crooked nose.  A long gray beard stretched from beneath his flaring nostrils to the bottom of his ghostly blue tail, and looked just as smooth as his large eyebrows that almost covered his gleaming yellow eyes.  He scratched his bald blue head with a spider-like hand, and proceeded to stretch his back, and life his arms, moaning with relief.
Peach stared in awe as she dared not speak.  The ghost gave off a glow not quite as clear or as crisp as the candle, but a glow none the less.  Peach could see that the closet she had stumbled into was rather small, and held much a variety of random objects.  But, no such object stoof out to her at the moment, as the suddenly met ghost looked into the shimmering blue eyes of the princess and stated a simple, "Hello."
His voice was very slow and deep, echoing throughout the room as though they were not in a small closet, but rather a grand library with high walls and a tall ceiling.  It reminded the princess much of a very low-pitched woodwind instrument that had the air of wisdom.
"Why..." said Peach, looking into the ghost's old eyes, "hello..."       

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 09:53:51 PM »
Chapter 15:  The Option Most Desired

Peach sat upon the cardboard box with her knees pressing against her soft cheek, and her arms wrapped about her shins.  She gazed in awe as the mysterious old ghost lit up a candle and set it upon the middle shelf of the moldy bookcase.  He hovered next to it awkwardly, gazing into his blank portrait as though it had insulted him in some way.  Peach looked into his yellow eyes that held nothing but the bright glow of crisp stars in ths dead of his pale blue face.  With such a long, sallow countenance, the Princess could tell that this portriat ghost was in sorrow, and mourned over something he could have.  She would know the face because of the fact that she used it more than she should have.
He was very long, and looked as though his body had been stretched tall.  Peach could have sworn she saw him begin to fade for a moment or two, only to reappear as the clear old figure that he was. 
"So," said he, in his slow, bass voice, suddenly drawing his stars from the empty frame and setting them towards the beautiful young lady sitting upon the box.  "You are the new maiden, I presume, who has been...collected...by he he owns this house?"
"I suppose that is correct," Peach stated, feeling intimidated by his eerie presence. 
He hummed a low note before proceeding to say, "You suppose that is correct, or do you know that is correct, my dear?"
Peach looked to his honest face to see that he was quite serious in his questioning. 
"I do know that is correct," she replied.  He nodded just as slowly as he spoke, ading to his acknowledgment with an,
"Ah."  His hands were behind his narrow back in a very sophisticated manner, and he seemed to hunch over like an old, tired crane.  "The moon has climbed the high wall of stars many a time since the last occasion that brought a beautiful woman behind these dreadful walls.  Ah, yes, golden streams of hair that flow to your waist, and beautiful blue eyes that reflect what great inner beauty your heart is deemed to possess.  Truly the statue of perfection in the eyes of such a boaster as he who owns this demented place."
"You speak as though there is another girl such as I in this mansion."
"Ah, yes.   There was, and is, such a girl here you too beheld and beholds beauty as you, though some not quite as tasteful to the one who is honored to judge."
"So, I am not the only one here being held here against my will?" asked Peach suddenly, her quick words contrasting much with the deep, slow grumbles of the mellow spirit. 
"Hmmmm," hummed he.  "Well, my pretty thing who sits so craddled upon such box, the will of certain people change as time passes with every movement we create, and every action we take into our hands to control.  Most of the poor girls who we speak of here at night are lost souls without a cause, not a purpose to drive them on."
The princess felt her eyes sink into the soft flesh of her amiable and innocent face.  She grew tired and weak with every word the old ghost spoke, with every long syllable that passed from his thirsty lips, and with every raspy breath of meaningless air that he took. 
"And," he continued, though Peach had thought he stopped due to his long pausse in speech, "I believe you to be the next victim of such a heart-wrenching, my poor, misused girl, which is the reason that drove me to come out from my hideous old home in the first place.  I bid you adieu, then, with all the sympathy my tired old heart can offer."
"Wait!" Peach cried as she set her tired head upon her forearms, watching as the wise poltergeist turned his head to face her eager eyes.  "Whoever you may be, you cannot simply leave me with such depressed words as those!  I refuse to believe that you haven't any hope for me."
"Any hope for you, poor girl?" said the ghost lifting one of his silver eyebrows.  He huffed a deep, hollow laugh, that sounded like he was clearing his throat of dust.  "There is not any hope to be found in these dry walls.  The cracks will give birth to dust, dirt, and tired old mice, but not hope, my dear.  Hope will not come from other people to you either, for what will that do on your behalf?  Simply reassure your trapped soul that there is someone besides yourself who has hope in you?"
"You make it sound ridiculous," said Peach, taken aback. 
"Well, it is not so much ridiculous as it is a simple satisfaction for the gut.  Hope comes from only one place, and that place is nothing that you can touch nor see nor smell, but a place that you can feel."
"In yourself," Peach said in a hushed voice.
"Prescisely.  More than a few people of this world need to feel not pity on the misfortunes of their behalf, but rather, feel hope for a better tomorrow, and more confidence to be valiant."
"More valiant?" Peach reflected.
"Mmmmm," hummed the ghost.  "The only person capable of getting you free of such a place as the one you take presence in now is yourself, for no other can choose your actions."
His bright eyes shone into Peach's, his long face causing a heavy feeling of sadness and sympathy in her poor, tender heart.  She even felt herself get choked up as she swallowed her nervous tensions.
As the old ghost gazed at the innocent girl, he noticed something in her that he had never noticed in anyone else.  Her face was so innocent and meek, and yet, at the same time, so full of potential and honesty.  Her cheeks were stained with tears and dough, the signs of hardwork and pain, and her hair curled obstinately overpowering her will to pamper it.  The heart which hovered in the bowels of his narrow chest skipped a beat as he looked to her bright eyes, and felt what he hadn't in the longest of times. 
"However, oh precious jewel to the one who lurks above, though only you can choose your actions, there are others who may help guide you unto the right path."  With this he saw the princess's eyes light up with a sense of new hope.  His tired mouth tried to smile, though he found that he could not. 
"Will you help me, oh prisoner of the painting?" asked Peach as she came to kneel upon the box beneath her, her hands clenching together and rising to the rounded end of her pale chin. 
"Hmmmmmm," said the old baritone.  "I have seen not a dove as innocent as the one before me in the age of the one I speak not the name.  I will help you, oh beautiful bird, for I see hope in you light up as the wire in the candle does to a simple match."
"Oh, thank you!" Peach said with watery eyes.  "And where might I find you again?  Should I come tomorrow to this same closet?"
"Oh, no.  You will come to the library, and only in the pitch of tomorrow's night, for it is only when the sun takes its rest behind the lowest trench in the valley that portraits of such manor are free to roam."
With such new wisdom in her fragile mind, and a fresh spark of hope in her heart, Princess Peach bid farewell to her new guardian as he slipped his way back inside his tall, narrow frame, resuming the painting that he was.  Peach took forth the new candle in her quivering hand, and set for the door, taking exit of the dusty only closet.  She walked quickly back to her room, guided only by the numbers upon the doors.  She hoped not to run into any other ghost if that ghost should not be the kind old one she met in the broom closet, but one of ghastly green eyes and a smokey aura.  She was lucky to not make such presence before reaching the door that held numbers '00011'.  She blew out the candle with a fast exhale of breath through her small, pursed lips, and stumbled her way into the dark room beyond.
She fell to her bed and let sleep overtake her, feeling more hopeful of the morning that waited.  In her mind she said to herself over and over, in an incessant echo that ceased to draw, 'May fate guide me the rest of the way...'     

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 10:02:01 PM by The Blue Toad »

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 01:59:44 AM »
Dangit, Blue Toad, your writing is too good. :(

Oh, and, btw... I wonder if any more Mario characters will come into the scene?
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Print