Print

Author Topic: The Suitor  (Read 13221 times)

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 02:58:11 PM »
Why, thank you US, and as far as your question goes, I'm not really sure.  You'll just have to wait and find out.
So, I basically just wrote the next chapter, but then deleted it because I suddenly decided that it didn't fit the character's personality, so now I'm going on a whole new approach!

Chapter 16:  The Stone Man, the Princess, and the Tigers

It had been one night since the event of Peach's kidnapping.  Throughout the entire Mushroom Kingdom, it never ceased to rain, as though the clouds themselves were in mourning.  The trees hung low and heavy under the pitter patter of thick, wet drops, and the grass stood on end despite the rain because of the terribly frigid cold that grasped the damp earth.  Fog encircled towns and forest, and drifted morosely about the castle that belonged to the ever missed Princess Peach.  Inside the reserved castle were the depressed and silent toads, still dazed and in shock.  They went about each day doing what they normally would, though they didn't quite understand why, considering the fact the Peach was no longer even present.  Nevertheless, supper was always prepared at seven and breakfast at nine.  It was simply a part of their habit that they found impossible to break.  The oldest servant, Toadsworth, stayed in his own room for most of the time.  Up in the west tower of the castle was where his chamber was located, and each day stood solemnly at his small, rectangular window, gazing out into the foggy setting that was the Mushroom Kingdom.  The old servant's face was pale and his eyes drooped with regret.  His hands were held behind his back and his shoulders were hunched and tired.  He hadn't gotten a wink of sleep since his mistress had been taken away.  His eyelids were heavy with the dire want for sleep, yet whenever closed their fickle ways would order to be opened.  It was as though each time he shut his eyes, his heart would pound in his chest, and his blood would stir with anxiety.
Detective Bom-Bers could be of little help the other night, for once the discovery was made of where Peach was being kept, there was no clue at how to bring her back.  She was trapped inside the habitat of a boo, which is always a dark place.  Surreal, and haunting is its presence.  It plays tricks on the mind, and entraps whoever be so daring to go inside.  In this case it was a birdcage, one of the many items used to keep the belongings of a boo.  The detective had gone away with report of going to investigate a suspect that he had assumed has actually been inside such a place, and claimed that he may return to Toadsworth to give him any new information that he might have obtain.  This hardly brought any more joy to Toadsworth, as he assumed that whoever this suspect was, they would surely be nothing less than crazy.
The lovely Miss Amelia had left with the detective as well, claiming that she needed more juice for her report to make it worth while.  With a flip of her hair she had pocketed her notebook and left with Bom-Bers, being driven away with him in the buggy.  Toadsworth had since been left alone to dread upon his own misfortune, without a thing to do or an order to fulfill.  His company consisted of the sad raindrops that slid down the cold stain glass, only to meet their doom at the window sill.  As he heaved a sigh he heard a whistling, and turned to take his tea.  With a shaky hand he had brought the chipped tea kettle off the old broiler in his room and poured himself a cup.  Steam swirled into his deep, dark eyes, and flooded his face with an aura of warmth.  Oh, how he wondered whether the princess would ever come back.  He wondered of the possiblility, and the probability of his dear, sweet madam being held hostage there for life as such of the other princesses heard captured.  Her poor ghost would haunt the bird cage until freedom permitted her to leave, and then she would be nothing but a poor spirit wandering the dark hallways of what used to be her fine palace.
Peach's old servant hummed a silent prayer as he sipped his hot tea.  Its texture was smooth as it washed his dry throat, and its taste was strong.  The heat warmed his insides as his shoulders shuddered away the cold that had roosted there.  He brought his tired feet back to the window, peering out across the rain-flooded land.  Thunder murmured across the sky as the old toad silently sipped his tea, sighing at the predicament which he had come to face.  The earth had been given such a strong washing from the clouds that it now moped like a reluctant child.  Toadsworth was sure that everything was waiting Peach's return, and wondered whether or not he should ever come to see the light of day again. 
"Master Toadsworth!" said a toad servant from behind.
Toadsworth shook slightly at the sudden voice and turned to answer, "Yes, what is it?"
"We have report that Princess Daisy of Sarasaland is coming!" said he, the young toad, looking rather unsure of whether his report brought good news or bad.
"Why?  What does she want at a time like this?" Toadsworth spoke gruffly. 
"I think she wants to speak with Peach."
"Oh?"
"News hasn't gone out about the Princess yet, apparently.  You'll have to greet her," reported the toad.
"Yes, I suppose so," Toadsworth replied as he set down his cup of steaming tea on the window sill, leaving it for the curious spiders that crawled about.
He left with the toad, crossing through the dark corridors of the castle and guiding himself down to the foyer.  As he took himself down the rather long flight of stairs he straightened his bow tie and ran hasty fingers through his gray mustache.  The chandelier was barely lit with enough light to shed proper atmosphere unto the inviting entryway of the castle, though it was not thought of a huge desire to the toads at the time (as it often took them many hours to gain enough height to light it in the first place). 
"Alright everyone, line up.  We are all to be representatives while the princess is...away, so take form professionally and admirably!"  Toadsworth called.  The eight representing toads lined themselves up in even ranks, one row of four on the left side of the door, and the other four to the right.
Toadsworth peered out of the window to see a shaded carriage positioned in front of the castle.  His heart skipped a beat as his eyes grew wider.  He rubbed his spectacles dramatically and looked back up at the carriage again.  He found himself under much relief then, for he could just pick out two other shadows at the front end of the carriage, which were quite obviously the carriers of the vehicle.  He sighed, and put his hand to his heart, shaking his head.  Toadsworth then proceeded to take his place at the very end of the two ranks, being in the center and facing the door to welcome the princess. 
"Alright, you two, open the doors," said he, as the two toads who were closest went to open the doors, letting in a cold draft of wind.  Toadsworth squinted into the specks of rain that darted into his face and watched as a dark figure slowly began to approach the entry way from out of the morose storm.  Along with the percussion of rain, he could hear thudding sounds emitting from outside.  He could only assume that these were the footsteps of the creature coming in from the pouring rain, however blunt and brutal they might have sounded.  The old toad adjusted his glasses at his first guest, for as it came into appearance he realized that he had never seen such a creature before in his life. 
It was a man made of stone, very much resembling an Easter Island head, nose and all.  His features were very blunt, and he entered into the foyer quite slowly, working up such an anxiety in the poor little toads with his echoing, pronounced footsteps, that Toadsworth wouldn't have been surprised if one of them ran off in fright.  His face was carved sternly, with two crude dashes for eyes, and it looked as though the rain outside bothered him no more than his own tiresome feet.  His long stone arms curved behind his back as a gentleman's would, and as he entered, he proceeded to stand directly next to the door as to let his mistress in after him.   
"Presenting," he called out in a rather loud, deep voice that seemed to make all of the other toads jump, "the ruler of Sarasaland, Princess Daisy!"
Following the apparent resident of Sarasaland, the stone man, came the hard-hitting brunette, Princess Daisy.  She entered holding a black umbrella over her head, covering her eyes to Toadsworth.  Her dress was yellow, lined decoratively with white.  As she closed her umbrella with her quick-moving hand, gloved with white, she showed her head of curly brown locks and shocking blue eyes.  Her hair was shoulder length, and it was clear to Toadsworth that she had recieved a perm since he last saw her, for they were now bouncy with thick curls.  Upon her head was her crown, encrusted with shimmering pink zirconium. 
"Princess Dasiy," Toadsworth said in the calmest fashion that he could, "welcome to the Mushroom Kingdom."  He stepped forward until he was within an appropriate speaking distance from the Sarasaland monarch.  He eyed her politely to see that she was of a serious stature.     
"Thank you," replied Daisy as she handed her black umbrealla to the stone servant without even glancing at him.  She gazed about the room as though she was searching for something, or someone.
"I trust that your travel here was safe?" Toadsworth asked shortly.
"Oh, yes," Daisy replied, just as short.  "Though it's a shame you are bounded by such constant rain."
"Quite right.  Its been like this for days now.  It just doesn't seem to want to stop," said Toadsworth.  Daisy nodded at him as she gave a flip of her hair.
"Well, I suspect that Peach is ready for me," said Daisy quickly as she turned to her stone man.  "The papers please, Toku," she addressed him.  He pulled his large arms from out behind his stiff back, showing that he had been protecting a small stack of papers from the spearing rain.  He handed them directly to Daisy, not changing once in his stature or form.  She thanked him and turned back to Toadsworth, ready with her documents.
"Well, uh, Princess," Toadsworth stuttered, "You see, that is just it.  Unfortunately, the princess will not be able to meet you tonight."
"And why is that?" asked Daisy as she placed her hands to her hips and puckered her already puckered lips.
"She has been kidnapped, yet again," Toadsworth replied as Daisy's eyesbrows raised and her eyes expanded.  "So, I am sorry to say that you will either have to take matters up with her when she is found, or you will have to take them up with me."
"Oh my....no, this is not good at all..." Daisy bit her finger as she spun around to look at her stone servant who didn't budge. 
Toadsworth gave her a serious look and said, "Why?  What is it that you wanted to run her by?"
"I didn't want to run her by anything, I want, no, need her to sign these papers!" Daisy said dramatically as she bent down to show the small toad what she was holding.  Toadsworth held up his glasses as he read from it:
"Official Treaty Documents of Mushroom Kingdom and Sarasaland."  He proceeded to furrow his brow at this.  "A treaty?  Why, we need no papers, the Mushroom Kingdom has never had any sort of quarrel with Sarasaland in a shroom's age!" 
"But that's just it!" said Daisy, "We do not have an official documentation of our peaceful ways between kingdoms, it is just a natural occurance!  Oh, this is bad.  Very, very, very bad..."
"Calm down, princess, calm down!  This is not a big deal.  Princess Peach can sign these documents once she returns...if she returns..."
Princess Daisy sighed as she handed the documents back to her servant.  She crossed her arms and darted her eyes across the room, only to have them land on Toadsworth yet again. 
She whispered, "I have been having contact with the Koopa Kingdom, as of late."
Toadsworth's stomach began to knot up at the dreadful sound of "Koopa".
Princess Daisy continued, "Bowser specifically.  He has never shown any interest in Sarasaland before, but is now suddenly aware of its power.  My first contact from him had been last month.  His offer was to join forces with my kingdom, which I assumed would only end in some sort of act of world domination."  Toadsworth nodded as he swallowed hard, his head beginning to throb.  Daisy spoke on, "I had denied his offer,"
"Well of course you did!" interrupted Toadsworth.
"And it had stayed quiet for a week or two," Dasiy continued, her deep eyes starting to quiver.  She paused, looking about the room as though she was being watched.  She proceeded to speak to Toadsworth in a hoarse whisper, "But then, he contacted me a second time," Toadsworth furrowed his brow, looking at her sternly.  "Only this time, he was threatening to overthrow my country unless I join him!"  At this Toadsworth inhaled deeply and clenched his teeth.  Princess Daisy shook her head and rubbed her temples as though she was suddenly suffering from a deep headache.  "I tried to stay as clam as I could at this.  The Koopa Kingdom has caused a lot of trouble for a lot of places, but never my country!  So, I decided that the best defense for my kingdom would be a good offense.  However, Bowser's troops have been told to be most powerful in the land, and there's no way I could stand against him alone.  I came here in secret, tonight, to ask for a treaty between the Mushroom Kingdom and my kingdom, so that there might be hope of us joining together and defending ourselves..."
Toadsworth looked to the floor in distress.  He held his head in frustration as his teeth remained clenched.  The eight toads by the door all looked anxiously at each other, their eyes darting from Princess Daisy to Toadsworth. 
"This truly is bad," Toadsworth said.
"If I don't get Peach's handwriting on these papers," Princess Daisy said, ignoring Toadsworth's comment of pessimism, "then I am afraid that I will be out of options..."   
Toadsworth looked up at Daisy, fear stricken across his face.  The stressed princess showed no emotion as she snapped her fingers at her stone servant.  He handed the black umbrella back to Daisy and she plucked it open, holding it above her head. 
"I'll tell you what," said Daisy as she turned towards the door.  "I will come back here in a week, which is about the only safe amount of time I have left.  If Peach isn't here by then..."  Everyone in the room listened to her intently, their hearts pounding as she finished, "...I will have no other choice but to join with Bowser..."  Her voice was sad and timid, though her stature was strong and independent.  With a heavy heart she stepped out from the castle and made her way back to her carriage, her stone guard following in her wake.  Toadsworth ran to the open door, panting with his eyebrows in an arch.  He watched as Princess Daisy stepped inside her vehicle, closing the umbrella behind her.  Two enormous tigers stood at the front of the vehicle, and as the stone man gave them a small whip, they stood up with a loud growl and pranced off into the setting sun.           
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:01:24 PM by The Blue Toad »
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 08:42:02 PM »
Chapter 17:  A Chomp in the Night

The haze of soft flour bounded across Peach's innocent countenance as she pounded the thick dough with all her strength, digging her small fists into its powdery surface.  She unleashed all the bits of frustration that she still had left, her brow furrowed at the slab of beatean substance.  Through the corner of her eye she observed the poor little toad next to her, trying to keep up.  He pounded fiercely at his equally large heap of unbaked bread, his small tongue edging his upper lip.  After a few grunts and punches, he stopped to take a breath and wipe off his face with his powdered white apron. 
"Wow," he panted afterwards, addressing Peach.  "You're really into it!"  He chuckled softly as Peach looked up at him, continuing her incessant beatings.  His face was blotched with flour and his eyes squinted in playful delight.  Peach giggled as she turned back to her work, the toad doing the same.
Again, with her eyes being ever so keen, she spotted a large, glowing green boulder coming at her from the side.  Feeling nervous at its presence, she sped up in her work, sending the dusty bits of flour soaring to the ceiling.  Her knuckles cracked as they dove into the soft, yet still rather tough, dough.
"My, MY, what a wonderfully hard working fleur of mine!" reported a thick French accent from behind.  "Her 'ands work hard'ere than her beautiful hips, no?" 
Peach glowed a deep red as she lowered her blonde head, pretending not to hear the guilty laughs of Lord Van Vougore.  He rolled his large self on through the kitchen, commenting on the rest of the lower-ranked chefs. 
With this being his occupation, Peach leaned over to the toad next to her and asked, "Excuse me, but do you know where the library is?" 
The toad didn't take his eyes off of his work as he replied,  "Sure, its on the second floor, past the dining hall.  Room number 01124.  Er, why do you ask?" 
"Oh, I was just," said Peach as she made an uncomfortable hand gesture, "wondering, I guess."
"Fond of books?" asked the toad.
"You could say that." 

That night Peach took the liberty of combing her long, wireful hair.  During the day, when no one had been looking her way, she had opened a kitchen drawer and stole one of the utensils.  It had been a silver fork, sharp in teeth, and shining in appearance.  She admired it more fondly running through her blonde locks, rather than picking up bites of ghost-made food.  She hummed to herself as it bit through her tangles, and fought through the many knots.  Every so often she would take a glance at the hallway door in order see if there was still a sliver of light peering through the foot of it.  When she would look upon its golden glow, she'd take no more notice of it and return to her mirror, bringing the silver fork through her hair once more.
When the lights outside were finally out, the princess put away with her chef's uniform, and draped herself in her comfortable pink nightgown.  With a final glance at her revived hair in the mirror, she smiled at herself and grabbed yet another candlestick from the same drawer.  She lit up a match, and drew it to the candle wire, setting it to flame.  Peach shuddered slightly as she turned to the door, seeing it only by the dim, flickering light.  Her shoulders trembled only at the though of the ghastly spirit that she had run into the other night, with its horrid green eyes.  She refused to let herself be noticed, for, if she was, it would only mean that she would be lost in getting any help at all, and she would have to continue facing the horrible Licknot Manor on her own.  She swallowed her pride and scowled at the door, demeaning it so that she could let it swing open without any fear.  Her gentle hand turned its cold doorknob, and she set off into the dark, vacant hallway. 
She faced the light accompanied darkness with quick eyes, and silent feet. 
"Okay," she whispered to herself.  "You are not going to get lost.....  Just follow the numbers..... follow the numbers...."
Peach stepped carefully across the soft carpet, holding her candle at shoulder length so that she could eye the numbers pasted upon the doors.  She knew that if she wasn't careful she would most definately get lost, so she held her breath at every turn, her stomach churning at each intersection she appeared at.  In her mind she could only hear '01124' echoing across her skull, engraving itself into her thoughts. 
Peach arrived at door number 00069, turning into 00070, and, taking in a deep breath, she gazed into the long trail of darkness that awaited her.  She could hear a soft moaning that seemed to drift wherever she stepped and shivers ran up her spine as her newly groomed hair stood on end.  Her feet moved inches at a time as they ventured slowly down the long, black corridor.  The candle suddenly gave a violent flicker, threatening to distinguish, and Peach paused with a fluttering heart, staring into the single, meek flame.  It eased itself and stood straight, sending a small line of smoke from its tip.  Peach continued again into the darkness, her eyes often straying from the numbers on the doors to the mysterious path before her.  As she grew further and further into the shadow, the princess suddenly realized that she could see the beginning of a flight of stairs at the very end of the hall!  She felt her shoulders droop in heavy relief, and her pace sped in much bravery.  She lowered her candle a bit as she neared the foot of the steep stairs.  Looking up from where she stood, her innocent eyes peered into a dark, dreamy blue, which she knew was the first floor.  The victorious color made sleep greet her eyes, though she knew that her journey wasn't finished yet.  As her foot touched the soft step, she felt her heart leap as it suddenly fell down unto a steep ramp.  Peach jumped as she leapt back a ways, her precious heart still pounding it its cage.  The steps had disappeared, and the staircase had now turned into nothing but a steep slope.  She felt a sense of frustration rise into her head as she glared at it with deep hatred.  Suddenly then, however, Peach felt her adrenaline begin to pump again as the slope rose itself up of the ground, opening up like a door for a cellar!  The princess could feel her eyes widening and her stomach tightening as the lever that was once a frustrating slope attatched itself to the ceiling where it gave entry to a black opening below.  Her friendly stairs had now fully turned into some sort of secret exit, opening up like an old trap door.  She dared not move, as the certain darkness inside the mysterious opening was too much for her small candle.  Suddenly, as though Peach wasn't frightened enough, she heard stirring, and saw movement from within.  Her heart leapt into her throat, and as she backed up she tripped over her own bare ankles and fell to the ground below her, sitting on her foot and gazing into the active black pit.  She shook of fright, and forgot of the valiant bravery that had once subsided in her. 
Without any warning, a enormous, jet-black monster spewed from the opening, showing nothing to the poor princess but enormous white teeth.  Peach stood to her feet in an instance and let out a scream.  Her poor chest heaved and her brow was beaded with sweat.  The monster stood still and silent, not moving an inch.  Peach's damp palm was wrapped around her quivering mouth, trying to keep her tearing throat from issuing another cry.  The horrid thing moved its jaw, clasping together its great pointed teeth.  The damsel gazed into two black eyes, rimmed only slightly by white, making the creature look nothing more than mad.  She could suddenly recognize it instantly as a chain chomp, a horribly carnivorous creature from her own kingdom.  She swallowed through a large lump in her throat, her numb legs feeling like nothing more than jello.
"You," said a very silent, yet very clear, voice. 
"Huh?" Peach gasped, panting horribly, her arched eyebrows speckled with beads of sweat. 
"Girl," said the strong whisper again.  The princess then realized that this was the chain chomp speaking.  She gazed into its crazy eyes as it said,  "You are supposed to be in bed; you left your pillow without a head.  Either go back right now and dream well and sleep tight; or perhaps stay here, though prepare for a fright.  I am the Riddler Chomp, with a chain that is strong; to get past my bulk, you can't get a question wrong.  If your succeed you can go on with your sinning; but if you get wrong, I'll take you for the winning.  So answer me now with either a yes or a no; will you be sticking around for this frightful show?" 

« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:08:27 PM by The Blue Toad »

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2006, 06:37:38 PM »
Chapter 18:  Riddles Come Naturally

Peach gazed into those crazy rolling eyes, her breathes heavy against her meek chest.  The Riddler Chomp didn't emit a sound as it stood there condescendingly.  His victim looked around in a paranoid manner, scanning her eyes across the shady walls and dark corners.  She looked for any wandering eyes that might have met upon her guilty act, drawn to the scene by her foolish shriek.  There was not a person nor ghost in the flickering sight of her dripping candlestick.  She let out a long, reserved sigh, closing her eyes for a moment to build herself back up.  Her heart was unsure of what action to take.  Would she face off against this strange monster, or play it safe and return to her room?  She analyzed her options, thinking of the pros and the cons of both possible decisions.  The right choice was clear, for it determined whether or not she would face the rest of her horrid adventure alone or not.  Either she swallowed her fear and faced the chomp, or she curled her quivering tail under her fleeing legs and took back to her room.  The conscience had an easy say in such predicament, and, being the fair princess she was, Peach could do nothing else but listen to it.
She turned to the gruesome teeth that gave her the most terrifying mute growl that she would ever witness.  With her hair on end and her eyes in a quiver, she opened her mouth to make her answer.
"I will stay," said she, swallowing hard and feeling her red blood run hot at the words that came from her dry lips. 
"Very well," said the chomp in a monotonous sound.  "You will hear my questions come at ease, and you shall take as much time as you please.  The answer varies not, for there is only one that's true; for each riddle there is only one guess for you.  Get three right without a stall, and you may walk onward tall.  Get three wrong, and, instead of waking; you, my sweet girl, will be all for the taking."
Peach nodded at him, her gut almost bursting in anticipation, and said a timid, "Alright..."
The giant ball of teeth grinned a horrid smile and proceeded with his riddles.
"My stature is tall, and my arms are long; upon me does nature make its soft song.  In the morning sweat covers my head, while at night I shake it instead.  Though I don’t have much a brain, I always know to follow the grain.  What am I?"
Peach suddenly felt her breathing ease and her shoulders loosen.  This riddle, to her, was quite simple.  The witty princess cleared her hoarse throat.  "Well that's easy," she said confidently.  The enormous monster continued to roll its great, lazy eyes in the maiden's direction.  "It's a tree," she continued, "because it's tall, and has even taller branches.  In the morning, there’s dew over the leaves, and at night the wind shakes them.  And as far as that last part goes, its speaking of the grain that runs through the bark of the tree!"  She now stood tall with a spark of hope in both her eyes. 
The Riddler Chomp didn't make any movement, though Peach was almost positive that she was right.  His wide mouth slowly detached itself and he growled the soft, yet strong words, "Your answer is the tree that grows strong, to this I say that your guess wasn't wrong."  Peach smiled to herself as her heart skipped a beat in excitement.  The great riddler continued, "Your next riddle is:  My white face looks down to you; with a bashfulness that opposes a boo.  Around my head fireflies stay; waiting to be gone by the break of day.  If you missed me from my lack of sound; don't fear, I'll catch you next time around.  What am I?"
Peach lowered her head for a moment, furrowing her brow.  She was almost certain that she knew the answer to this riddle as well.  She looked to the Riddler Chomp and said confidently, "It's the moon."  When the giant creature remained silent, she continued, "Because it's face is white, and you can never see the back of it, which is just the opposite of a boo.  The fireflies around its head are the stars, which always disappear at night, and the moon orbits around the Earth, so you'll always see it coming around." 
"Your answer is the moon that turns blue," the large chomp said silently as Peach's ears buzzed red.  "I will tell you that this is quite true."  The dear princess would have beamed if her reserved spirit and cautious ways would've ceased.  She listened to him in better spirit.  "You've answered two right, you have one more out of three, answer this correctly, and you I'll let you free.  The riddle is told as such:  I wait for your presence to come to my door; where you may finally rest your feet that are sore.  My name for this purpose is known only to you, and anyone else you care to give to.  Whether beneficial or not, here I stand, waiting to see you on your command." 
His large jaws came to a shut as Peach stared at him with an unsure look upon her face.  This riddle, to her, seemed unfulfilled.
"Is that all there is?" Peach stuttered quietly, her face slightly reddening.  When the Riddler Chomp remained still and unconscious, Peach knew that the full riddle had been spilt and that he wasn't to speak until she guessed.  "Why, that is so vague," she said.  "I suppose the only clear answer would be my destination..." 
"Your destination is the answer, you say," started the chomp as the princess gasped.  "Such response is correct in many a way.  However, for me to let you go on with your sinning, a specific is needed if you're to be winning." 
He stopped again, staring down at the meek girl as she cradled her arms nervously.
"A specific?" she repeated.  "Well...I'm headed towards the library."
"The library is your final say," said the chomp.  Much to Peach's horror, the beast proceeded to roll forward a little in order to get a very clear and precise look into her dazzling blue eyes.  She stepped back and brought her hands to her face.  He stared intently, finally showing a sign of consciousness by saying, "You are correct, now be on your way."
Without another word said, Peach heard the rattle of a chain, and the Riddler Chomp was pulled back into the black passageway from which he came.  The stairs fell back down unto the chomp's den, and all took the same look as it had when Peach had spotted the stairs in the first place.  Switching the candle between hands, Peach took hold of the front of her gown and trialed up each step, her bare, stubbed feet hurrying along as if afraid the stairs would fall.  When she had reached the top, she let go of her gown as it dropped to the floor.  She was now inside the foyer, the main room of the Licknot Manor.  It was the very same place that she had been in on her first night here, only now without the many ghosts hovering about the room, and without the glowing lights.  Instead of looking black, the room was a very mellow navy blue, being very easy on Peach's tired eyes.  She gazed about in awe, being suddenly aware of the great artwork in the room.  It seemed as though every bit of the wall was carved in some sort of wonderfully crafted scuplture of an amiable spirit.  She had no idea how she had failed to notice this wonderment before, and was actually in question of whether or not such fine sculptures had been carved when she had first entered on that surreal night.
Whether it had been or not wasn't the case, though finding the whereabouts of the library was.  Peach shook her head as she made for the flight of elegant, ruby stairs at the end of the hall.  In her mind she relfected upon '01124' again and again through her busy head.  As she touched each soft step with only the tips of her feet, the sound of bellowing clock chimes reached her ears, their great rings ehoing throughout the enormous house.  She jumped at the enormous sound being so suddenly present, but then eased her shoulders to listen.  Peach counted after each bell struck, numbering them as hours.  1... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... 7... 8... 9...  10... 11... 12.
It was 12 o'clock according to the Manor's clocks, and Peach was relieved at the idea.  If it had been any earlier then there would surely be a spirit awake, though any later and she would feel rushed not to run into very early morning.  The princess was, after all, unsure of how lengthy the time would be until her meeting was to end.
She felt cold as she eyed the walls for any numbers, searching the morose blue sculptures for any signs of a plaque or key of some sort.  She made her way across the balcony to where she eyed a door.  Next to the grand-appearing door was, indeed, a silver plaque.  Upon it read numbers '01124 ~ Library'.  The princess heaved a sigh, as this was it!  The very room she had been searching for!  Without wasting any time she turned the doorknob with a hand full of haste, and entered inside the library, not sure of what she would find other than books and a very patient portrait ghost.                         
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 11:54:26 PM by The Blue Toad »

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2006, 11:01:40 PM »
I just got back into this story...

I really like it! It keeps me on the edge of my seat, and has a very interesting storyline. I've seen a couple of spelling errors, but nothing too major. Keep up the good work! :D
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2006, 11:52:06 PM »
Thanks! And yeah, I should probably stop typing so fast; when I do I tend to miss most of the spelling.
I'll update this later.
I seriously can't wait until this stupid story is over with!... -_-' 

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 07:53:20 AM »
Don't worry, it'll be worth the effort.

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 09:00:47 PM »
I know, I've just lost most inspiration for this, I guess.

Chapter 19:  The Gargoyles Have Ears

Peach closed the door behind her, a small click resonating throughout the library.  Her observant eyes scanned the walls of the intimidating place, finding that the same artistic hand had carved even more figures into this room than in the foyer.  There were boos carved of marble that swirled up from the large glowing torches, which hung upon the walls.  Upon the boos' faces were looks of cruelty, and deceit, which reminded the princess of her own Booregard.  There were also statures of shadow sirens, full of lust and mystery.  They rose from the thick wooden floors like snakes, spiraling into a beautiful figure of a woman.  Between each bookshelf a stone gargoyle stood, with eyes as blank as night and a mouth curled into an angry cry.  Their silent guard put Peach into an uneasy hunch as she circled the lonely library in search of a friend. 
The ceiling was painted with the same mural as the foyers', with was a dark blue, swirled with a mixture of mellow colors.  Spots of light stood out in the ceiling as painted stars, the work of impressionism in their color making a strange impact on the open-minded princess.  As she continued to walk along, gazing into the ceiling, her thigh bumped a hard slab of something.  She looked down at a wooden table, occupied by a transparent old man with a beard of silver and two eyes of starlight.  She stood puzzled as she hadn't seen him there before.  He was bent over a load of opened books, all equally thick and heavy, looking over each page with a surprising speed.  As he scratched his beard he looked up at her, the smell of dust and wet pages present in his air. 
"Uh..." Peach cracked as she gave a violent hum through her dry throat to clear it.
"Why, you showed up after all," said the low-pitched reed instrument.  His easy personality and slow way of speaking calmed Peach, and she sat down at his table with a clear mind.
"I'm sorry I'm late," Peach spoke, "I ran into a bit of a...obstacle."
"Yes, I am so very sorry."  Peach swallowed and was about to question his apology when she eyed his old lips opening to hear him say, "In my terribly old, and quite forgetful age, I seemed to have misplaced the deed in my mind, when it was the night of our meeting, to tell you the ways that this house works at night."  Peach nodded and sat patiently, though couldn't help but look over her shoulder at the eerie ring that seemed to echo across the library's walls.  As she looked right into the eyes of a grinning gargoyle, she quickly turned back around to listen to her guardian, chills residing in her spine.  The ghost continued, "You see, as the moon rises here at this horrible property which belongs to the one who presides in the uppermost floor, things begin to change as all things do when night comes.  The spirits take rest from their days of doing activities of which I am oblivious to, and the house, here, grows dim.  The portrait ghosts are then, only, allowed to leave their frames at such hour, where we may roam the halls of our entrapment.  It is the time when we stretch out of the dank, heavy oils of our easels, and curse the fate which we were born in to.  Never may we see the true light of the moon, or the silent twinkle of the stars above, or feel the soft night breeze rush through our forever transparent bodies."
"Why, that's horrible," Peach whispered. 
"We are bound to our own dust until time ends, here in the horrid house of the one whose broken heart still beats for lust.  But night is not only the time for freedom, but for escape.  Many times there have been said reports of servants leaving their beds empty to make an endeavor of running away.  Most of the poor souls have gotten lost in the many corridors of this mansion, though I'm not sure what happened to the others, for I am not very much around when news is spoken.  However, the point I am bringing myself to is that Booregard felt it in his own responsibility to put a stop to this.  Being a ghost of strange magic ability, and questionable witch crafting skills, he managed to convert nine ferocious chain chomps, escorted from the Dry Dry Deserts, into a group of tamed, intellectual riddling beasts.  I am very sorry, sweet girl, for I must have caused you a deep impact of fear upon your poor soul by not preparing you for such encounter."
"Oh, it's quite alright," said Peach quietly, directing her eyes from the floor to the ghost.  "I've always claimed that I held a knack for riddles, and it's true."
"Well, I'm glad to hear such," said the ghost with his dust-clearing laugh.  "And now that I have told you of the information I should have run by you on our first meeting, I will patch up another mistake of mine.  Being lost of much, or any, social contact for a great amount of years, I am sorry to say that I have forgotten to show myself to you not only as a portrait ghost, but as a gentleman."  He reached out his arm to Peach, extending his long, spidery hands.  Peach gazed at it for a moment, and then reached out her own and shook it in his.  "My name is Professor Alfred Inkblot, at your service, my dear.  And you?"
"Hello, Professor.  My name is Peach Toadstool.  It's a pleasure to meet you."
"And the same to you," he huffed, withdrawing his old hand.  "And now that I have exhausted my apologies to you, my dear Peach, I will proceed unto proper business."
Peach nodded as she straightened her posture, looking eagerly into the old books before her, not taking it a word of what was on the page and yet feeling excited of what it said.  Her fingers folded together and she placed her hands politely in her lap, licking her tired lips. 
"I have been doing research in this library for more moon laps than I can count," Professor Inkblot stated.  "I have found the most interesting pieces of information between some of these covers than anyone may come to understand.  The history of these walls, and the tricks of the ghouls that room within them.  I know of basically all of the secret passageways that this place has to offer, and all of the hidden rooms, ideal treasures, and unknown exits.  If I may humbly say so; I know more of this Manor than its owner does!"  The whole time he spoke with a very secretive voice, hushed underneath the thick anxiety residing in the air.  The princess felt almost frightened at his soft tone, and wished that he would speak more openly.  The professor continued, "Though this is not the point.  What I have learned that may sincerely benefit you, my dear, is how to get out."  Peach's heart skipped a beat.
"Oh!" she exclaimed breathily, true excitement wielding her voice,  "You have no idea how long I've wanted to hear this!"
"Shhhhhhh..." Inkblot hushed as he brought a long finger to his mustache.  He looked over Peach's shoulder, eyeing the gargoyle.  Peach's heart was still beating with excitement, but now fear kept it going.  He leaned in closer to her and said, "The gargoyles have ears."  Peach pursed her lips as she swallowed a pack of butterflies into her stomach. 
"Hm?" she questioned.
"These stone gargoyles are spies to Booregard," Professor Inkblot hummed.  "They're awoken by sound, and are nasty things when in motion."
"Did....  Did it hear me?" Peach whispered nervously. 
"No, dear Peach, it didn't, and I am sorry for allowing myself to forget my duty of warning you.  Again, I feel ashamed of my forgetful ways."  Peach did away with his shame, and he continued, "So, as I have said, I have figured the way for any person imprisoned in this place to let himself, or herself, free.  It is really quite basic, actually.  The boo's prison is cast under many strange, dark spells, and is often very hard to tamper with.  Trying to undo the spells over this horrid place would be more than extremely tricky, and it has overall been defined as a bad idea (or at least according to my book) and should not be attempted.  However, the easier way to free oneself of this prison would be to simply do away with its inheritor.  In this case, my poor Peach, the one way that you can unlock the gates of this bird cage and set yourself free is to destroy the horrible soul that forever has haunted this mansion."
"You mean Booregard?"
"I speak of the very one."
"...You are asking me to kill Booregard?" Peach asked with a gaping mouth, suddenly feeling unsure of her capability of setting herself free.
"You say kill with a thought of knives and blood, am I correct?" asked the ghostly professor.  Peach nodded, even though such violent thoughts actually had not taken place in her mind.
"Well please, think not of it, for no such act using said tools will ever come to play, especially not with a ghost.  No, the witty spirit living in this haunted mansion is very keen in his magic, as you may or may not have noticed.  He has cast himself under more than enough spells, trying to make himself immortal to any form of murder.  Though he has succeeded in none of his many trials, the determined boo did find a way.  By drinking the saliva of a Shark Plant, the lonely spirit has preserved himself against all enemy touch, so that he may not be killed."   
"Well then what use is it to tell me that his death is my key?" asked Peach, her amiable, light voice contrasting to Professor Inkblot's oboe.
"My explanation was not yet finished, my young listener, for I was to say that there is a loop hole in this extraordinary success for a certain upstairs spirit.  While he had granted himself with immortality, he was still unsure of whether or not this was true happiness.  As an escape to this plan, he found of a way to concoct a potion that would cancel the effects of the saliva, and actually proceed to kill him.  It was a potion of only three ingredients, yet powerful enough to overrun the first."
"So, what you're saying is that I need to find this potion, and feed it to Booregard!  Then I'll be free from this horrible place!"  Peach's face lightened up a bit, but she quickly quieted down a she gave a nervous look to the gargoyle over her shoulder.
"Not exactly," Inkblot said as Peach looked back, "for this potion was never actually made.  It was thought out, and planned, but never made.  You see, this is the reason I asked you here tonight."  The old professor opened up one of the side books to a page that was marked by a black crow's feather.  His bony finger scanned across the dusty page, and he read aloud, "The stream of my establishment, the liquid once used, and the tears of my heart."  Peach felt something within her gentle heart tear at these words.  There was some sort of feeling that was so very final about them, as though they were part of the script of Booregard's last bold statements.  "These three things," said Inkblot, "are the ingredients for the Manor master's potion of death."
"So....  What....  What you're saying is..."
"Yes, dear Peach," said the slow professor.  "You are going to need to collect all of these things, and bring them back to me."

Peach gave him a troubled look as she tried her hardest not to look down.  Her meek body stood high from the ground atop one of the tallest bookcases in the library.  Her trembling hands grasped the curvy hips of a stone shadow siren, whose curly locks of tossable hair swam about her body of lust.  Professor Inkblot faced a portrait that hung on the wall at the same height as Peach, above the very bookcase of which she was now perched.  The portrait contained a very fat ghost woman, who wore a violet dress and had black and curly hair all tied into a bun.  Her eyebrows were very slick and high as though she was annoyed. 
"Excuse me, Miss Natalie Noteprick," said Professor Inkblot politely.  "Would you mind speaking for a moment?"
The green, emerald eyes of the portrait ghost, Natalie, stirred, and she gave a very annoyed glance to Inkblot.
"Alfred!" she said in a very melodious, full voice that sounded as though in belonged in an opera.  "What do you want with me now?"
"Please, quiet yourself Natalie," said Alfred, "I don't want the gargoyles to stir!"
"Oh, and you assume that I do?" said the vexed spirit.  "I say!  How absurd is it that they put such a beautifully singing ghost portrait in a library?  It's ridiculous, Alfred, ridiculous!"
"Well, my dear, be grateful that you're not in a broom closet," Professor Inkblot hummed.  "But that is besides the point.  I would very much like entrance into the pipeline, please."
"The pipeline?" Natalie repeated, not looking any calmer.  "Why would you want to go into those filthy sewers? - It's dirty in there!" 
"Again, I must ask you to keep your voice down," said Professor Inkblot as he continued to try and woo the disgruntled Natalie Noteprick.  Peach noticed, as she stared into the disturbingly keen eyes of a nearby gargoyle, that both of its eyes had sparked red for a moment.  When they had, it had sent a shiver through her whole body, and she regretted ever looking at its disgruntled mouth and disfigured, sharp teeth.  Its shoulders were hunched and its great, muscular arms were posted to the floor before it, the claws of its hands too crowded to be folded comfortably.  Its hind legs were hunched and looked ready to pounce, with its confined wings prepared to open wide, ready to engulf its prey.  Peach was entranced by the horribly demonic figure, and was too terrified to put her eyes away from it.
"...well, thank you, Miss Noteprick.  Come now, Peach," Inkblot said.  "It is time!" 
Princess Peach turned away from her horrible viewing to heed her ghostly friend. 
"Yes, what is it?" she asked, eyeing the fat lady with curiosity. 
"Miss Noteprick, here, has agreed to open herself up to the pipeline of Licknot Manor.  It is now that you must travel down through the pipes, and retrieve the sewage from the main waterway.  After that, you will come back here and I'll escort you back to your room.  You'll be done for the night."
Peach felt very nervous as she watched Natalie hover out from her portrait so that it was left with only a scenery of fresh violets growing upon a garden arch. 
"And... you're sure that this has to be done now?" asked Peach nervously, feeling very reluctant to go anywhere else but back to her room. 
"Oh, yes," Alfred replied.  "I am sorry, dear Peach, but there is only one time to do this, and that is now.  After tonight, there will be no more visiting the library at late hours for you.  Now come, and try to be brave, my dear." 
Peach stepped forward as Natalie took hold of her picture frame and swung it open carelessly, revealing a secret entrance that was walled with pipes, and dripping with random spots of water.  Peach felt it in her best interest to try and debate against going inside.
"Now, Peach, I will give to you this small container."  Professor Inkblot lowered himself down a bit to hand the princess a clear glass bottle, no larger than her thumb.  She took it in her gentle fingers, and examined it while turning it about.  "With this I ask you to cradle the sewage that you find when you reach the mainstream.  Once you have a full bottle of the gurgling mixture, you rush right back here."
Peach looked into his eyes, wondered at their star-like shine.  She gathered all the courage that she could, and nodded, finding it suddenly very hard to swallow. 
"And once I have this," she said, "I'll be one step closer to finding all three indgredients?"
"You'll be a third of the way there," Inkblot confirmed.
".....Alright, then," Peach said as she slowly stepped inside the secret entrance, being careful as her bare feet hit the cold, metallic ground within.  She turned back to look at her portrait ghost guardian.  His sorrowful eyes gazed into hers and he nodded slowly. 
"Good luck," he said with a small wave.
"...Thanks," Peach said quietly.  With a lazy hand Natalie swung her portrait shut with a small thud, and Peach was now locked within the pipes of Licknot Manor.  She looked down the long, pipe-built tunnel, noticing how it was lighted up only my meek light bulbs, which hung loosely on strings from a wide pipe that vertically ran throughout the long tunnel.  The air was damp, and the sounds were nothing but echoes.  Taking in a deep breath, Peach said to herself, "...I'm definitely going to need it..."                 

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 10:15:35 AM »
When this is finished, it should be stickied.

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2006, 05:14:25 PM »
Wow, thank you!  ^_^
Update will be soon, I hope.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 06:13:50 PM »
Your quite welcome. I really need to write an award-winning fan-fic myself. Or at least make a comic.

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2006, 03:31:07 PM »
Yeah, comics are pretty fun to write.

Chapter 20:  Red Pearls

The tense princess shuddered at the empty sound of her bare feet stepping across the cold, metal flooring of the long and lonely tunnel.  With each tiny bit of sound there came a hollow echo to mock it, flooding its eerie call all throughout the pipeline, bouncing off the metallic tubing like rubber balls.  The lights flickered like electric candles, giving off just enough light to permit gruesome shadows between each hum of radiation. 
Peach firmly kept her eyesight directed in front of her, reluctant to see the wall of pipes at her side, knowing that she would only be haunted with her own imagination of what may lie between its mysterious gaps.  Her tongue was wet with nervous saliva, though she remained very thirsty.  It was as though the damp smell of the air and the sound of dripping water simply mocked her, tempting her weary mind with nothing.  Peach hummed to herself as she continued to conquer the mysterious path before her, feeling her blood tremble as she turned each corner, and her heart quake at each untold sound.  There would be the random hearing of a popping noise every once in a while, which seemed to make Peach's skin crawl.  As she ventured further and further, the valiant princess could only notice that it was gradually getting colder, and, to her own discomfort, darker.  It was as though the power of the light bulbs decreased as the tunnel wore on, and the warmth subsided more and more along with it. 
Peach sniffed loudly, her small red nose slightly contrasting with her pale face.  Her locks of hair were all on end, look frizzier, now, than usual.  Her poor, smooth arms held each other in the damp cold, and her feet moved quickly, making a respectable endeavor as not to touch the icy metal floor.  The glass bottle, which she held firmly in her hand, grew a jacket of frost around its smooth surface, sharing the same blurred look as Peach's soft eyes.  She continued to only stare forward, her chapped lips open in a small pant.  She moved very quickly now, her bare feet pumping through the tunnel, slapping over the cold platforms.  Peach's breathing became nervous and loud as she began to run, her nose doing the same.  Her pink gown bellowed behind her, and her wiry hair clung to her clammy, pale face.  Her heart quickened and her sad eyes widened, seeing the tunnel before her grow smaller, colder, darker.  Her mind raced as her ears met with another loud popping sound, and her feet sped up, the cold blood that ran through her veins pumping harder.
She turned corners without hesitation, and began flailing her arms into space before her.  Her hyperventilation echoed throughout the tunnel like a ghost flying behind her, and she found that she could not stop.  At the gaps between light, Peach leapt over the darkness, feeling her heart beat at each intersection.  Peach could hear the sound of crawling in the gaps of the pipes beside her, and could've sworn that she saw strange things peering out at her.  Peach refused to stop as she bolted through the cold, damp pipeline, not sure of where she was even going. 
Peach turned another corner, and found herself stopping against her vows stated through her mind earlier.  A few yards away, she found what she had been searching for.  An intersection rested at the end of her view, where, instead of metal flooring, there was a stream of gurgling water.  Peach eyed the frosty bottle in her quivering hands and swallowed a mouthful of thick nothing.  The strange noises stopped, and her mind began to ease itself.  Peach sniffed and shook her head, wiping her watery eyes.  She silently chuckled to herself at how her overwhelming fear had been for nothing.  She stepped forth to the stream, gazing into the mysteriously thick water.  It gave off a silver glow, though maintained a blue reflection, which hinted green.  It was a very strange source of water, and as Peach looked down on either side of the long, bubbling waterway, she saw nothing too peculiar other than a place where the stream dropped to her left, accompanied by the thundrous sound of the water hitting the surface below. 
Her soft hands pulled at the cork of the bottle as she felt her fingers begin to strain.  Her grip slipped a couple of times through her frustrated endeavor, and she grinded her teeth as her hand began to cramp at her immense tugging.  With her elbows directed outwards in opposite directions, and her face clenched, Peach pulled at the cork with all her might.  With a slight grunt and a small pop, the cork suddenly eased its way off as Peach's hands shot off in opposing paths, the bottle held in her right hand, and the cork in her left.  She tossed a lock of hair out of her face as she bent over the stream, dipping her right hand into the moderate moving water.  She faced the bottle's mouth to the current, and kept it there until the strange water began to spurt over the bottle's top.  Peach took up her hand and pushed the stubborn cork back into her glass container, smirking at the blue-green water inside.  With a hand to push her back up, Peach stood over the water and let her eyes give it a final farewell.  She proceeded to turn back around calmly, prepared to make her journey back out to the library.
Peach gazed into a pair of glowing red eyes.  They were within inches from her face, and they stared directly into her own.  Without thinking, Peach let out a tremendous scream, and threw herself backwards.  She toppled into icy cold water, letting herself be engulfed by its streaming blue presence.  The strange, thick water flooded her ears and her nose, touching her wide blue eyes with a hand that stung.  Peach quickly swam back up to the surface, coughing and sputtering, all the while trying not to be dragged away by the swift current.  She opened her eyes, stung by contaminated water, and looked up to where she once perched.  She looked into the same glowing red pearls, and saw that they both belonged to a demonic beast, who gazed down at her with a snarl.  It was the stone gargoyle, with his horrid snout curled into a cruel laugh at Peach's terrible misfortune.  To Peach's utter horror she watched as the stone monster tossed its satanic head into the air, cackling with a menacing smile, and proceeded to spread its bat-like wings.  The demon flew into the air, dangling its mangled, claw-wielding body above the poor princess, preparing itself to attack her.  With another blood-curdling scream, Peach let herself float away with the waterway, her heart in a fury of beats as she stared at the gargoyle, who was flying right behind her.  Her head, heavy with her soaking wet hair, sank underneath the cold, bubbling water, and her body was again engulfed below, her head pounding with fright.  The water washed inside her ears, and all seemed calm beneath the small, bubbling waves.  Peach suddenly felt her stomach leap and her head soar as her body came to a very sudden plummet.  She was suddenly hurled downwards at immense speed, still being sucked into the water.  Peach was falling rapidly down the pipeline waterfall.  She screamed in free fall, feeling her throat tear under her horrified cry.  The sound of incessant thunder grew closer and closer to her the farther she dropped.  Her stomach ached uncomfortably, and her head stung with dizziness.  With a violent splash, Peach was plunged deep under water, the eormous sounds that were once around her suddenly nothing but scarring echoes.  Peach felt all of her breath leave her body, and all her muscles became suddenly relaxed.  Her eyelids hung loose over her blank, blue eyes as she stared into nothing.  Her head stung, feeling as though it was spinning, and pounded wrecklessly, hurting dangerously at any bit of movement.  Peach's sight blurred as she sunk deeper an deeper into the dark, cold waters, her shaken body twitching in the thick liquid, until everything finally turned black.                                               

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2006, 08:28:34 PM »
And now, shedding a nice appearance on my story, an old friend from Super Mario 64!

Chapter 21:  Engulfed in Wet Dreams

The princess could hear the sound of water stirring, and the soft echo of a shell to one's ear.  Her eyes examined blackness, though her mind put together the vision of a beach.  She was lying upon a warm slab of rock overlooking the blue ocean waves, with reserved seagulls gliding on the hands of the wind above her sun-toasted face.  However, to break this, there was a sudden sound of a single drop of water falling into a deep puddle, the resonating sound of the soft ring greeting one place of the room, and then leaving to greet another.  She instantly found herself lying down in that horrific pipeline.  The metal flooring was at her back, and the dripping water echoed over the long lines of pipes.  Two red, gleaming eyes gazed down at her, staring into her very soul!  She stirred nervously in her sleep, bringing her hands to cradle her pounding skull.
"Girl..." the cruel gargoyle spoke.  It stayed in the shadows like a menace, though spoke calmly.  "Girl..."
"No..." Peach whispered in a hoarse voice.  "Leave me..."  She kept her eyes locked into those tenacious, sinister eyes, watching them flash at her every heart beat as she let her body lay on the metal floor as a limp doll.
"Girl, you are dreaming...." the stone demon said.  Peach knew this not to be the gargoyle's voice.  The voice she listened to was far too hollow, and endless, rather than snarling and evil.  No, the soft voice she was listening to rang with each syllable, and made a small, mellow song out of a sequence of words.  It was as though a whale was speaking to her in the deepest blue of the sea.  Peach took in a deep breath to smell damp air that was heavy and cold, and her mind set to place a puzzle piece.  She remembered where she was, and what had happened only moments earlier.  Her eyes cringed and her legs curled up at her chest.  She didn't want to see the horrible place she had fallen to.  It was nothing but a horrible mistake.  Her location was completely unnecessary, and, as she claimed in her own mind, stupid.  Deep frustration crawled through her cramped veins and eased its way up her tight stomach and into her raging throat.  Her fingers clenched firmly at her own ignorance, and her mind buzzed with the memories of being tossed from the peak of a waterfall. 
She felt her throat vibrate.  Whether she was moaning in agony or growling of frustration, she couldn't say, but as she did so she suddenly became aware of where she lay.  She could feel her burning cheek resting on a damp, rubbery surface.  For an instance Peach was positive that she in fact was in the presence of a whale, though when she opened her dizzy eyes, she saw otherwise.  She looked down at her dripping night gown and pale feet, finding that they were helplessly resting upon a wet blue back.  At the end of this back, she saw a long slippery tail, and each side of the back, there was a huge pair of flat, rubbery flippers that were both rowing along through the water, maintaining much grace.  Looking backwards, Peach found the longest neck she'd ever seen, and resting at the top was a round, blue head that looked as though it belonged to a dinosaur. 
She was on the back of a sea monster!  Peach would have gasped if it was not for the sharp pain singing through her head.  She turned to face the front, feeling in awe of the mammoth beast.  She looked down to see that the monster's fins were swimming through an eerie, black water, that looked bottomless and cold.  Goosebumps ran across her arms as she gazed into the dark sea, and she ran her clammy hands across them as an attempt to warm up, her jaw quivering violently.  The strange room of which she was being held brought nothing much to eye other than shadows and enormous cylindrical pipes that erected at the edges of the circular pool like towers. 
"Where am I?" Peach asked herself in a panicked voice, feeling too frightened to remain silent.  As the great sea monster stirred and began to speak, Peach let out a sudden shriek and jumped back to the beast's tail.  The monster stopped his incessant swimming and twisted his long neck to gaze back at Peach, his large, glossy black eyes looking innocent to the ever-pure princess. 
He have a heavy snuff from his large nostrils and spoke,  "Please, do not fear me," he said, speaking in the soft, endless voice that Peach had heard earlier.  "I am Nessie, the sea monster, and I am quite gentle." 
He craned his neck to show the princess the top of his gleaming, blue head.  Peach cowered for a moment or two, simply staring at his damp cranium.  Her eyes flashed images of her hand being ripped off by his mighty teeth, used again to guzzle down the rest of her poor, panicked body.  Peach simply gazed, glossy-eyed, and unprepared to move. 
"I'm quite gentle," the sea monster repeated. 
With a swallow full of fear, Peach nodded, as though confirming his statement.  She put up a quivering hand, and quickly brought it to the monster's head in a flash of a movement.  Just as fast, she brought it back, holding it at her heaving bosom.  Peach saw that Nessie had not even stirred a little when she had touched him.  She brought up her hand again, and stroked the monster's cranium with more courage this time.  His head was slippery against her pale, cold palm, that she slid her hand all around the top of his head, scratching him, even, at the neck.  Peach couldn't help but crack a smile at the monster's gentle nature, and was soon thankful for the company. 
Nessie brought back up his head and looked at Peach, saying, "I found you at the base of the waterfall.  What were you doing there?"
"Oh," Peach said, feeling her stomach go aflutter and her mind race at the thought of that horrible gargoyle.  "I was...well... it's quite a long story... I was simply trying to..." Peach suddenly stopped and looked down at her hands.  Her heart leapt into her meek throat.  She quickly looked around her, eyeing every little spot that was by her presence.  "Oh no," she said morosely.  The bottle was gone.  Peach groaned heavily as she brought her face into her quivering hands and let out a sob.  This all meant that she would have to go back to that horrible ghost and get another tiny bottle.  Oh, how she felt as though she was the most miserable soul in the universe.
"What's wrong?" asked the gentle giant, resuming his peaceful swimming in a circle.
"Oh, it's nothing," Peach sighed into her palms, sounding quite full of tears.  "I've simply lost something dear to me... you didn't happen to see any glass bottle, did you?"
"A glass bottle?" asked Nessie.
Peach nodded her reply.
"Why, yes, actually," he spoke.  "When I went down to pick you up out of the water depths, I noticed something kind of sparkly a little ways farther down.  Being as infatuated as I am with things that sparkle, I went to pick it up."
"Oh, that's wonderful!" said Peach, feeling a great deal of relief.  "May I have it back, please?"
"Of course you may," he replied kindly.  "I'll swim us to it right now!"
Peach felt her spirits lift slightly, and she let out a soft, shuddering sigh.  Nessie suddenly jolted forward, and swam in between two of the enormous pipes, drifting into what appeared to be a long, dark tunnel.  The princess grasped unto the monster's slippery skin, crawling up to the neck of the beast as something to hang on to.
"Where are we going?" asked Peach as Nessie continued down the long tunnel at a rather quick pace. 
"We're going to my den," he replied.  "It's where I keep most of the things I find that are interesting... it shouldn't be too long of a trip."
Peach was happy to see that there were torches up ahead, blazing up in the darkness like stars in the dark night.  She felt rather comfortable with the gentle giant to keep her safe, though she couldn't shake the feeling of paranoia, chilling her blood into a fit. 
They traveled on through the black river for quite a while longer.  Every once in a while they would come to a dark intersection, in which Peach would look down the other long, dark tunnels, feeling fright crawl upon her bones.  She wondered what she would possibly do if Nessie hadn't come for her, or if she would even be alive if her hadn't picked her up out of that cold coma.  Whatever the unfortunate outcome, Peach was grateful all the same. 
As they continued down a long corridor, which was lit up nicely with more torches than any other they had crossed yet, Peach began to feel much more confident.  She leaned back on the rubbery back of her water-dwelling friend, and looked up at the arching ceiling.  The torches creating flickering shadows upon the ever-stretching arch-way, and they strangely entranced Peach.  She watched the shadows dance with a placid look on her eased face, until she saw something which she had been dreading all along.  Two red pearls stung the darkness atop the ceiling, staring directly into her.  Peach let out a horrific scream that tore her throat.  Her body jumped and she grabbed on to Nessie's long neck in horror, her heart thumping in her chest as she looked unto those two blood-thirsty, demonic setting suns.  Nessie looked up with a start, in just enough time to see the horrible gargoyle detach itself from the ceiling and flap its stone wings sloppily in the narrow tunnel, freeing its blood-chilling laugh from its wicked, stone lungs.  Peach was in horror as she watched that horrible snout curl into a gay smile, brought to horror by its evil eyes. 
The sea monster looked directly at the stone demon, and, raising his head, let out a loud, low screech.  It echoed throughout the tunnel more loudly than anything else Peach had heard, and she covered her ears in the presence of it.  Peach watched the gargoyle open its fangs in deep pain, and, in an instant, fly out far down the tunnel, and out of sight.
Peach gazed after it into the darkness, afraid of its return. 
"It is alright, girl," Nessie said suddenly.  Peach quickly turned around to look into those two, large black eyes.  "He is gone... and he is not to be back."
He proceeded to turn back around and continued his voyage through the canal.  Peach still felt her breaths heavy and quick, her heart still acting aflutter. 
"Nessie..." she said after catching her senses.  "May I ask you a question?"
"Yes, girl, go right ahead," he replied.
"Why...exactly...are you here?" Peach looked at the back of his blue head with the utmost curiosity. 
"Why?" he repeated.
"Yes... well, I mean... There must be a reason, right?"
"Oh, yes, of course.  I help to stir the water around down here.  The energy pipes catch the energy that I produce by stirring the water, and it helps to run the house..."
Peach nodded as she looked down and rubbed her soar neck.
"...but as far as the question goes for why I'm down here... I can't really... remember..."
Peach looked back up at him with an intrigued look on her pale countenance.
"Oh, look!" he said, "Here we are."
The great sea monster gave a large stroke that pushed himself into a new room.  It was a small, circular room, and it had a landing at the far end.  This, however, was not what caught Peach's attention.  She was distracted by the enormous amount of items that simply stormed the room!  They lined the walls and completely covered the landing floor.  Each one gave off some sort of glitter, whether it was meek, bright, sharp, or glowing. 
"My..." Peach exclaimed, "this is...amazing!"
"Why, thank you," Nessie replied.  "I like to call it my collection." 
Peach was in absolute awe of it.  She could just imagine how long it must have taken him to find all of these treasures. 
"And, there it is!" the princess said as she pointed to her glass bottle.  It was at the very edge of the landing, and still held that strange, blue-green liquid inside of it. 
"Yes, it was my newest treasure.  But now, I am happy to present it to you," the monster said politely.  Peach leaned over as far as she could without slipping and falling into the water below, and took hold of the small bottle.  Her blue eyes gazed upon it with victory.                                           

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2006, 07:27:20 PM »
Special points to the person who can tell me what each ghost represents!

Chapter 22:  The Seven Deadly Ghosts

"Thank you so very much, Nessie.  Really, I would've been lost without you!" Peach exclaimed earnestly. 
"You are quite welcome," came his candid reply.  "I am more than happy to share my treasures with friends."
Peach wondered how it was that this monster considered her own bottle to be his, and it brought to mind of how long she might have been down here.  Thinking of this, she said, "Nessie, may I ask, how long have I been here?"
"Hm?" he snorted.  "How long have you been in the sewers, you mean?"
"Yes," Peach replied as she cupped her little bottle anxiously. 
"Well... I would say a mere couple of hours." 
Peach looked into his eyes blankly, thinking of how it had seemed as though she had been asleep on his back for days!  It was strange what the thick dreams of unconsciousness could bring one to believe. 
"Well then there still might be time," she said to herself as she gazed down at her treasure.  "Nessie, is there any way I could leave here?"
"Leave the sewers?  Why, yes, of course there is!  It's a long trip, but I can get anyone out who has a strong lung capacity," said he with an assuring tone in his throat and a placid look over his sincere face.
"That's wonderful!  You see, I needn't be down here.  In fact, this bottle has a very important mission to fulfill, so if you could bring me back to where I came from, I'd be much obliged."
"Hm?" Nessie said, eyeing the bottle miraculously.  "Why, of course.  I'll take you this very instant."
"You will?" Peach asked excitedly.
"Yes, dear girl, any time you would like!"
"Now would be fine!" Peach said happily.
"Well, then I suggest that you hang on to me strongly!" the sea monster said.  Peach murmured an accepting reply and positioned herself firmly at the base of Nessie's neck, wrapping her pale arms around his rubbery throat until they ached, and holding on to the bottle just as hard.  As he swam around to turn his tail towards his sparkling treasure, Peach decided to take one last look at what wonderment he had collected.  She gapped at all the random jewelry and mysterious crystals, her stomach warming and curling at the sight of old memorabilia.  Her eyes were not quick enough to see all that the small, round room had to offer, but she had been effected by its containments ever since. 
"Get ready, girl.  Take a deep breath," Nessie said as more of a strong suggestion rather than an order.
Peach's stomach churned nervously as her arms tightened, and her legs wrapped around his chest.  Her fingers pressed so hard onto the bottle that her joints cramped and her knuckles turned white.  She took in one deep breath through her quivering nostrils, and then, after emptying her lungs, inhaled deeply, feeling air flood through her throat until her mouth was dry.  She closed her mouth, and in an instant, she was sent plunging into the black water beneath her, feeling its cold hand slap her in the face, and play with her locks of blonde hair.  Her whole body was pulled upwards, though she gripped even tighter around Nessie in a quick struggle of her muscles.  Her legs were now sent out straight behind her, only her already tired arms still in place to keep her tied to Nessie.  She could feel his heavy, muscular movements through the water, the thick currents pushing against her cringing face.  He soared through the water like a bird through the air.  Peach heard nothing more than his flippers rowing strongly, and the echo of her plunge.           
Feeling fear of the dark, cold, mysterious waters, Peach brought herself to open her eyes.  She found, much to her relief, that her eyes were not met with any sting.  Rather, she only felt the cold water's thick presence touch with its wet hand.  Peach could see her straining arms wrapped around Nessie's bobbing neck, and, much to her amazement, another loot of treasure below the water also stunned her eyes.  She was instantly awestruck when she gazed upon pearls, diamonds, rings, and tons of other sparkling fines littering the bottom of the canal like sand.  They glowed brilliantly, reflecting through the water and on to Peach's face.  She hadn't expected such rare and beautiful fines to be seen in such black water.  It almost made her want to swim to the bottom herself, and run her hands deep into the miscellany of coins and precious metals, feeling their illuminate presence run across her pale body. 
Nessie swam along, not taking much notice to his underwater treasure, and suddenly took to even deeper waters.  Peach saw that they were now headed down a long, black tunnel, which dove directly down into the earth.  With a straining neck, Peach said goodbye to the glimmering treasure on the sea floor, and then swam closer to Nessie's neck as cold, dark waters, and fear, engulfed her.     

Booregard hovered over his very cushy, very tall armchair, gazing into the blazing fire across from him, which was bordered by a deep marble fireplace.  His elbows rested on the surface of his well-polished desk, which gave rest to many other things; a fine container of quills, a stack of well-organized parchments, an ash tray with a box of long cigarettes, an aristocratic table lamp, which craned its fine neck over the stack of papers, and a few decorative ornaments.  Around this room was a load of strange, yet very detailed and abstract arts.  It is to be believed that Booregard, as well as being a sophisticated aristocrat, was also in to fine arts.  Though fine, they also tended to look rather disturbing in appearance.  They all maintained a shadowy, full look, and colored mainly in mixes of dark red and dark blue, along with violet, a deep green, or other very dreamy colors.  The things about the room consisted of a variety of such, such as very tall vases that reached the ceiling, as well as lamps that barely gave of a heavily yellow glow, receiving a background of a random, very thick red curtain, which hung across each wall.  The occasional mask hung from the ceiling, grinning down upon whoever set foot in the rather eerie room.  The floor was made of red wood, but was covered by a very large carpet, which was a dark blue with interesting blood red designs across it.  Booregard appeared waiting patiently, in somewhat of a daze as he continued to be entranced by the fire. 
The door across the room from him, positioned next to the fireplace (though hard to spot due to all of the shadowy, artsy detours) suddenly swung open, shedding light into the dark-pitched room.  The rose-colored boo closed the door behind her, as the red-hot fire resumed its place as a main light source. 
"Master," she stated calmly, "the ghost lords and ladies are here."     
"Then send them in," he stated as he pulled his eyes away from the fire and looked about his desk as though he had been doing something.
"Yes, of course," the rose-colored boo said as she re-opened the door and stated into the light, "He's ready for you."
One by one the ghosts entered into the room.  First appearing was what seemed to be a floating suit of armor, though on further inspection was actually a blood-red ghost, hovering inside the suit to occupy it.  The ghost was rather burly, and had thick black eyebrows over his violet eyes.  After him, came a tall, lanky green ghost.  Her straight black hair reached her waist, and around her long body she wore a yellow gardening apron over a long, deep green dress.  Her sorrowful yellow eyes were almost hidden by the wide rim of her straw sun hat. 
Following her was none other than Lady Caprishriek.  Her silver eyes stung the room as they burned out from her purple, puckered face, with her violet locks trailing off behind her.  After Caprishriek was Lord Von Vougore, his smug face looking more humble in the presence of Master Licknot.  His body was so large that he stomach would never have fit through the door if it weren’t for the fact that he was transparent.  Behind his enormous wake was the small black ghost that Peach had seen in the closet, with his green eyes looking sharp about the room.  He wore a dark blue suit jacket with a green bow tie.  The forked tail of his jacket acted rather as a second ghostly tail.  After him was a rather stout ghost, who was a bit short, and overall, looked like a pug.  One of his keen ruby eyes sported a monocle, and for dress he wore an elegant violet robe with a red scarf peeping out from the neck.
Following this pompous ghost was a light blue ghost, who appeared as though she was fading away.  Her hair was very feather-like, much like her own appearance.  Her eyes were a very sleepy purple, and she wore a shimmering turquoise dress, which was laced with puffy frills at the bell.
"I present to you, oh master," said the rose-colored boo, once all of the seven ghosts were lined up facing Booregard.  She announced their names in order of appearance.  "Lord Bloodclot, of security.  Lady Chillweed, of gardening.  Lady Caprishriek, of maintenance.  Lord Von Vougore, of cooking.  Lord Mousewhick, of the clerks.  Lord Rubeshire, of treasury.  And, Lady Dazzleweb, of entertainment."
Each of the ghosts presented themselves respectively to Booregard, the ladies making a curtsey, and the lords bowing.  Booregard looked at them with curiosity for a while, as though he were counting them through. 
"Thank you for coming, all of you," he said traditionally as the seven ghosts replied by nodding.  "Now, I must ask, which one of you maintains a young girl with blonde hair?" 
There was a silence throughout the room as the question had been asked so suddenly.  The largest, most portly ghost spoke up, "That would be me, monsieur."
"Ah, the head of chefs..... So, she is a cook?" Booregard said to himself as the seven ghosts eyed each other curiously.  "Tell me this, Mr. Von Vougore, is she a pest while working for you?" he asked with a keen smile. 
"A pest, monsieur?" he repeated, his little mustache pointed upwards higher than usual.
"Yes.  You know, an annoyance," Booregard said.
"Why, no, no she is not, monsieur.  I find her to be a hard worker!  In fact, monsieur, I find that she may, in fact, be le best chef in my kitchen!  Yes!  Just the other day, for example, she was working on le dough as usual, right, when-"
"Quiet!" Booregard stated with a scowl.  Lord Von Vougore shut his small mouth and looked shamefully at Booregard through his very narrow eyes.  "You mean to say that Peach is doing just fine doing work?!  You mean to say that she's doing fine... without me?!" 
The seven ghosts could tell that Booregard was getting heated.  The masks atop the ceiling grinned down at them from the safety of the pillar tops, grimacing at their poor predicament. 
"Excuse me, master," stated Lady Caprishriek.  "I had this girl you speak of as one of my workers before Von Vougore.  She was a fool girl!  She did horribly as a maid!  In fact, master, she broke a vase on her first day!  I suppose that it simply must have been my kind heart that let her go for that one, master, though she surely should have been dropped."
"Ah, but she will not be!" Booregard said, seeming rather cheered up at this.  "Or at least.... not yet..... I need this girl to realize what she gave up when she refused me.... I need some way to make her come back!"
"Well, master, if I may," Lady Caprishriek began.  "Upon breaking the vase, I gave her punishment of maintaining the Big Room on its next customer... perhaps... that might be enough..."
Booregard looked into the silver eyes of the ghost siren, not feeling effected, however, by her ghostly beauty.  He took in what she said, stoking his chin, and then nodded with a small chuckle.
"Yes....the Big room," he said, cruel intentions residing in his voice.  "Rubeshire!   Who is our highest paying guest?"
"In current placement, sir?" asked the yellow ghost, Rubeshire, adjusting his monocle.
"No, no, our highest paying customer ever!  In history!"
"Oh, right, right... uh... I believe that would be the King Boo!"
"King Boo?"
"Yes, he paid us mighty find gold coins!  Oh, how I remember it well..." Rubeshire looked up in dignity, remembering the money he had received. 
"Hmmm... yes... would you say he was a demanding customer, Caprishriek?" asked Booregard, turning his eyes to the violet ghost.
"Oh, yes!" she said, knowing what his intentions were, "One of the most demanding!"
"That's good..." Booregard said.  "Yes!  Mousewhick, I want you to offer the Big Room to King Boo as soon as possible.  I want Peach to come crawling back to me when she's through with him!"
"Uh," the small black ghost spoke up, "there's a problem there!  King Boo, being the picky fool he is, only comes to stay here when the nightly theatre is playing his favorite, and when the main dish being served is what he likes best."  His green eyes sparked as he saw Booregard raise an eyebrow.
"So, that can be taken care of.  What are his favorites?" he demanded.
"Phantom of the Opera with buttered lobster on steamed potatoes... that sweaty pig," Mousewhick replied.
"Von Vougore!" Booregard said loudly as the round chef looked to him attentively.  "You will make buttered lobster with steamed potatoes at King Boo's arrival, understood?"
"Oui oui, monsieur!" he replied respectively. 
"And, you, Dazzleweb!"
"What?" spoke the sleepy looking Dazzleweb as she cast her dreamy gaze unto Booregard as though she had been busy thinking of something else.
"You will put on the Phantom of the Opera for nightly theatre when King Boo arrives, understood?"
"Yes, master," she replied, a slight look of reluctance in her eye.
"Good then..." Booregard said, seeming rather satisfied.  "Now I want you all to leave and get on it right away!  Be gone!" 
And with that the seven ghosts fled from the room, beginning work on whatever they were told to do.  Booregard cast his sleepy gaze into the laughing flames.

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2006, 12:23:36 AM »
Chapter 23:  Back Before Daybreak

The angry water pushed against her body like a mammoth fist with ever stroke Nessie made.  Her eyes strained to gaze at the blurry, wet distance before her, teaming with small bubbles, which trickled like rain from the sewer monster's nostrils.  Her hands ached a bit more than her stretching arms, which were being tugged out to their maximum length, and her fingers trembled under pressure. 
Her great locks of blonde hair swam all about, rubbing her face and tender skin with bristling, but tickling, hands.  As Nessie trudged on through the black waters, she could feel her breath wearing out.  It was that horrible feeling that you always get when you dive down too deep, without taking enough air with you.  Her lungs were beginning to tighten up, and she could feel her throat begin to plug along with her nose.  She squinted as she maintained a tighter grip.  She was absolutely horrified at the idea of letting go.  But then again, who wouldn't be?  To be lost in a black underwater corridor, not knowing which way was up, or which way was down.  But of course, up or down didn't matter, because either way you'd hit a dead end.  What a nightmare to think about.  Hanging on, at the moment, meant life or death.
Even then, however, Peach reminded herself of confidence.  It was what the ministers had always told her; confidence exceeds talent.  It's times like these when those old reminders came in handy.  When you are looking into the eyes of disaster, knowing what's to come, or, even worse, what could come, it's good to have something to stand on.  She would've held her chin up then, if it were not for the fact that she was hanging on for the ride of her life, fighting the water's friction as much as she could. 
Peach could then feel it even worse.  The burning.  When the lungs start to ache and moan like a hungry dog, she knew it was time to surface.  As if to help her scaly friend, she kicked her legs with all her might, feeling her heart beat like a drum.  She could hear the sudden, rapid kicks echo through the water, and Nessie noticed it contrasting with his powerful, but calm, strokes.  It was time's warning that the whick was burning out, and the sewer monster sped up with this knowledge, determined to quit his incessant paddling soon. 
Peach's stomach became tightened, as though readying for a punch, and her neck strained.  Her throat buzzed a helpless groan, which, afterwards, proved to make her loss of air feel even worse.  She closed her eyes in great hope, her heart pounding, her lungs aching, and her legs pumping.  Her mouth screamed to be open, ordered by her collapsing lungs, though told otherwise by her spinning brain.  She could feel blood draining from her skull at the very moment, and exhaustion was knocking at her door.  Leaving her legs to be, she opened her mouth in a gape, feeling no more air left in her for another moan.  If she could only meet air again, oh, how she would never take it for granted again.   
With a heaving chest and a beating heart, Peach noticed that the direction they were going was suddenly changed.  They were going up, which could only mean towards air.  She felt life in her numb legs once more as she pumped and pumped, her mouth open, tempted to breath like a child to candy.  Her lungs were pounding, and her stomach was completely depressed like a balloon under pressure.  She felt as though her whole body was aching, trembling, crying!  Her insides were beating at the exterior of her skin, demanding air to rush through her purple veins!  Until...
"Huuuhhhhhh!" she gasped deeply for air.  Her lungs expanded in an instant as she let them deflate again.  Her hyperventilation did not mark the satisfaction of which she thought was to come.  However, it was air nonetheless.  Her body, soaking wet, and absorbing the frigid air around her, was lying helplessly on the back of Nessie, only her arms seeming to be intact, with hands in fists, and quivering biceps.
"Dear girl!" said Nessie, saying it with a voice that recognized it as her name.  "I am so sorry!"
"Wait," Peach said, implying that he should not go back under.  Her eyes remained closed with her stringy hair clinging to her clammy face like seaweed.  Her chest heaved more slowly now, as she took in deeper, but still rapid, breaths.  Her fingers twitched in tiresome journey atop Nessie's rubbery, dolphin skin. 
"I have forgotten how small the lung capacity of a human is... it's been... well..." Nessie suddenly stopped as if to remember something, but then simply looked into the air with a blank stare and a furrowed brow, as though there was really nothing to remember in the first place. 
Peach could just then feel the temples in her head pounding, though not of aching, but rather as an echo to her heart. 
"Are... we..." Peach began as she tried to bring herself upright.  She felt herself collapse when she tried propping herself up by her forearms, so she simply craned her tired neck to see what was around her, water dripping into her eyes from the loose hairs of her forehead.
The mysterious creature had taken her to yet another rounded room, only this time with a different colored water, and a current.  No, it was not the eerie, still, black water that she had met with at the same time of acquainting herself with Nessie, but rather an intoxicating, stirring water of blues, greens, and even silvers.  It was the same water that was held in her bottle. 
"We are very, very close, Dear Girl," spoke Nessie.  "We took the course that leads back up to where this whole place begins."  Peach then noticed that this strange, round tower room, which they seemed to be in, had an enormous pillar in the middle that almost resembled a pendulum.  It took up much of the space in the already small room, and hung from the ceiling like a strong stalactite.  There was a large entrance to the north, the destination of the water's current current. 
"All you have to do now," Nessie said softly.  "Is rest.  I'll guide us back to where you started from... don't worry."
"Thank... you..." Peach stated as she closed her eyes and eased her lips into a relaxed opening, breathing softly as Nessie slowly began his travel.
And it was as thus that Princess Peach Toadstool managed to prevail over another step to freedom, in which she collected the waters of the establishment.  She was now a third of the way there, with only two more important matters to contain. 
Nessie swam down the main pipeline at a respectable speed, sometimes even turning against the current in the places where its velocity increased.  He craned his neck, and looked at the princess with curious eyes as she lay asleep on his back.  Though he was not quite sure what it was, Nessie felt a strange familiarity whenever he looked to her.  He had lately been struggling with incessant oncoming memories of some sort of past life, though never could he recall upon it without thinking of it as a dream.  He could often remember clear, blue waters, with temperatures cool.  And, he could always picture some great, shining presence.  He always seemed to try to relate this to his collection of shiny objects.  However, they never truly seemed to match up.  It puzzled him so, as, after all, he was a serpent of little brain.  Even every now and then, though, he'd catch himself beginning to say something that he didn't know the ending to.  An analogy would appear out of his mouth, as his words are often capricious, and would make sense to him at first, but once half way through, he'd turn back on them.  He suddenly wasn't sure of what he was going to say...
Peach stood atop the familiar edge.  The metallic bank of the strange-colored waters.  Her cold feet pointed inwards, her toes curled, as she faced her good friend, Nessie.  He was halted in the pipeline, his great flippers opposite the current.  His friendly neck rose up from the stream, the palm tree to his crescent island back. 
"Thank you so very much, Nessie.  I shall not forget you," Peach told him, feeling honest in her words.
Nessie's kind, innocent eyes sparkled as he spoke quietly in his whale-singing voice, "Nor shall I forget you, Dear Girl." 
"I only wish," Peach said, "I could free you from this place..."
Nessie hummed.  He looked to the walls around him, as if examining the area with a humble taste.  Peach bowed to him, holding onto the glass bottle as a treasure in her two hands.  Nessie nodded his head as well, arching his great neck.
"Farewell," he said, "and do not fear.  The monster that haunted you once is now gone.  This, I guarantee."
"It must have been your sweet note," said the princess, referring to Nessie's long, obnoxious holler back in the water corridor.  "Oh, sweet serpent, may the waters flow to you."
"And to you, may the winds..." Nessie began, only to stop in the middle with a sudden oblivious look.  "...May you be protected, forever and always."
With a final goodbye, Princess Peach watched the lonely sewer monster depart.  He swam down the current, which had once to Peach been cruel, and let himself drop down the waterfall, head first.  She waited until she heard his splash, and then gazed into the black darkness beyond the edge of the stream.  With a whispered blessing, Peach turned and ran.                         

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2006, 05:00:08 PM »
This is going to be my last chapter!
No, just kidding.

Chapter 24:  A Promotion Gained

Peach ran through the metallic halls, her bare feet slapping against the cold floor.  As brittle strands of damp blonde hair blew across her face, she could hear her heart beating against her chest.  Even though she had basically just been through an entire nightmare, she felt rather refreshed.  Fleeing from a gargoyle and getting a good swim really wore her out, and she felt as though a good night's sleep was soon waiting for her.  Her eyes gazed on the bottle of liquid, which bobbed in her fist.  She could feel the water's weight shift from one side to the other. 
So much fuss for a simple bottle of water.  Couldn't she have simply turned on the nearest faucet?  Her frustration with Professor Inkblot was rising.  How could he have expected her to do all of this?  In fact, why didn't he just do it?  Yes, what a question to ask.  Why didn't he just do it?  He's a ghost, after all, nothing's to bother him.  He could've just flown right in, and then flown back out. 
She finally reached the familiar scene from where she had begun this strange journey of hers.  With cold palms, she pushed at the portrait door, with, strangely, the sudden feeling that something was behind her.  In a frightened leap she bounded onto the other side, finding herself back in the library, atop the bookshelf where the statue of the shadow siren loomed.  Peach almost lost her footing as she exited in a rush, closing the door behind her, and would've fallen had she not grabbed onto the portrait frame. 
"Ahem," spoke a smug voice from behind.  It was Natalie Noteprick, looking rather condescending.  She spoke, "Where have you been?"
There was a pause in which Peach turned to the two portrait ghosts, blissfully hovering next to the bookcase, worried about gravity as a dunce worries about schoolwork. 
"Where... have I been?" Peach repeatedly, sounding a bit out of breath. 
"Oh, Peach," spoke a low, oboe voice, "I'm so very sorry you had to go through there... I would have gone with you... if not for that anti-ghost curse..."
Peach looked to them with a cross countenance.  "Do you realize... that... there are gargoyles... in there?"
"Again, Peach, I apologize," spoke Professor Inkblot through his dusty throat.  "I knew very well of the conditions beyond Miss Noteprick's painting, though I feared, that, if I told you of said conditions, your heart would skip, and you would refuse to enter.  Fear overwhelms us at times, Peach, it is no lie being told.  I warned you not, not out of cruelty, not in the least bit, but because ignorance is bliss."
"I was attacked!" Peach said, still hanging on to the frame.
"I'm terribly sorry for that.  Those stone beasts guard that river under the orders of their master... I had hoped they wouldn't wake..."
"Well..." spoke Natalie with a giggle.  "Looks as though they did!" 
Peach scowled at the enormously fat opera singer, as, she was well aware, was laughing at the condition of her hair, which looked scraggly and damp.
"Oh, hush, now, Natalie, it is no laughing matter.  Peach must've taken a fall, it is quite alright."
Peach continued to scowl at Natalie, whose pudgy fingers touched her red lips as if to stop their giggling, though without much effort. 
"You know, Alfred," she said.  "Being a library ghost, I know... some of the ghosts tend to rise at this hour."
"Yes, it doesn't surprise me..." said Inkblot.
"Rise?  Wait a second," Peach spoke, "how long have I been... gone?"
"Oh, about four hours, or so," Natalie responded carelessly. 
"Four hours?"
"Yes, young one, it has been a while.  I see that you retrieved the water, and this is good.  Give it here," Professor Inkblot said as the weary princess handed him the bottle. 
"I hope it was worth the effort," she said, though, she already knew the answer.
"Oh, yes, it very much was," the portrait ghost replied, his droopy eyes stuck on the thick water.  "I will contact you again, Peach, at another time."
"What?"
"In your room... what reads upon the plaque on your door?"
"Uhhh... zero, zero, zero... eleven," Peach said, trying to remember how many zeroes there were.
"Alright, now, be off, Peach, we can't have you seen!  This is security's time to prowl."
"Okay!" said the girl as she clumsily began her descent down the bookcase.  She tried not to think of her actions too much, as that always slowed her down.  Her stubbed toes simply cupped in any of the book gaps that were convenient, and, before she knew it, she was back on the ground, running to the library door.

She yawned, trying to make it as unnoticeable as possible.  It curled up in her mouth like a tired cat, stretching after a long nap.  Peach hadn't managed to get much sleep.  It seemed to her that as soon as she reached her room, and as soon as she found the comfort of her bed, she was already being met by the familiar sound of harsh knocks upon her door (only this time accompanied by her voice being called out, called by a familiar tough, though still feminine, voice).
She hadn't groomed herself with the fork nearly as much as she had hoped, though found herself not caring too much.  The Toad next to her seemed to be wooed by her either way. 
Peach's tired hands, curled more in soft comfort rather than hard work, lazily beat at the dough before her.  Her upper back and lower neck were cramped with stiff knots, causing her more strain than necessary.  She felt another soft cat beginning to stretch halfway up her throat, when there came a sudden boom from behind.  Peach jumped, startled, and with her eyes fully open for the first time since yesterday.  She turned to see an embarrassed tanooki stumbling away from a blackened burner near the opposite corner of the kitchen.  His chef's hat was blown off, and the hairs of his face were singed black. 
"Nook!  What'd you do?!" cried a red shy guy as he looked at the burner, which was giving off a thick trail of black smoke. 
"I'd...unno...  It just... blew up!" Nook said, still lying on the floor with a paw on his burnt forehead.
"Well.... uh.... you're in trouble!" the shy guy said as he scampered away, leaving the kitchen through a swinging door. 
Just as he exited, Lord Von Vougore entered through a larger, leather-coated swinging door (one that he actually fit through). 
"What ees going on heere?" he said with a snarl and a twist of his greasy little mustache. 
"Er..." said Nook, feeling petrified upon the kitchen floor.
"You!  Why are vou on le floor?  And... wait.... what did vou do to my oven?!     
"Er..." he said timidly, "er.... me?"
"Oui!  Vou!" Lord Von Vougore bellowed as his enormous, round body hovered menacingly over the little tanooki.
"It was... I was... she had.... there was...." he was trembling, and his tongue was stumbling for words.  Without more to be said (whether he could or not), Nook bolted from the kitchen, tripping over himself on the way to the door, only to quickly pick himself back up.
"I need a replacement!" spoke the French ghost, as though what had just happened didn't surprise him in the least.  His beady black eyes scanned the room as all the chefs held still, and, as if Peach couldn't have predicted it herself, Vougore's pupils landed on her.  "Le fleur!"
She blushed and held her head down as he hovered over to her, actually running over another chef. 
"Uh..." Peach spoke softly as he loomed over her. 
"Vou will be promoted to take hees place, my fleur, since, after all, you are le best chef in my kitchohn!"               
"Er... promoted?" Peach repeated shakily.
"Ouiii.... vou weell start tomorrow!"
And with that, and a laugh, Lord Von Vougore fled back through the door from which he came, leaving a very still silence throughout the room.
Peach repeated it in her mind... promoted...
Was this a good thing? 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 05:05:40 PM by The Blue Toad »

Print