Poll

Does anyone here think that it was a bad idea to take a game (doki doki panic) and make SMB2 out of it, or just plain think that SMB2 was a bad idea overall?

Yes
8 (25%)
No
24 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Broos. 2: A good idea?  (Read 17124 times)

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« on: September 23, 2007, 06:56:35 PM »
I thought it was a bad idea.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 07:00:18 PM »
Not really. What bugs me most is how NOA asumed SMB2J would be too hard for Americans.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

silverstarman

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 07:25:37 PM »
Not really. What bugs me most is how NOA asumed SMB2J would be too hard for Americans.

Yes, that seems racist, if that's your point.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 07:27:12 PM »
I don't much like Doki Doki Panic, I can never bring myself to beat it. It feels too unorganized, and the game-play gets really boring.  SMB1, SMBLL, SMB3 and SMW are all like 100 times better.
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »
As much as I suck at SMB2 and don't like it that much, I think it played a role in shaping Mario's universe into the weirdness it is--Shy Guys and Bob-Ombs were MADE for Mario.
Oh, erm, I can't tell if I should vote Yes or No because the question is almost as twisted as the premise of the game...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

silverstarman

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 12:49:55 PM »
Shy Guys and Bob-Ombs were MADE for Mario.

Those Shy Guys, bob-ombs, and even birdo came from doki doki panic, so they really aren't Mario characters.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 01:03:44 PM »
Although Miyamoto worked on the game and stated it felt like he was making a Mario game.

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 01:17:38 PM »
Definately not. Think of all the things  came from that game...   Shy Guys, Birdo...

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 03:36:30 PM »
I thought the game was awesome. Lots of really cool enemies (Shy Guys for example) came from the game itself.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 04:47:26 PM »
I don't think turning Doki Doki Panic into a Mario game was a bad idea, but it shouldn't have been an alternative to SMB2J. It would've been cool to have both games. Our SMB2 could've been called SMB4 or something.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

silverstarman

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 05:24:01 PM »
I don't think turning Doki Doki Panic into a Mario game was a bad idea, but it shouldn't have been an alternative to SMB2J. It would've been cool to have both games. Our SMB2 could've been called SMB4 or something.

I wouldv'e like Super Mario Bros: The New Worlds

Sqrt2

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 03:09:18 AM »
I feel that while the game isn't truly original, it did let players play as Toad and Princess Toadstool (Peach), which seeing ans in SMB both Luigi and Mario handle exactly the same. Although, I,dislike the way Luigi jumps in SMB2.
AA fanboy and proud!

matto

• from America's hatto
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 05:19:29 PM »
While it was a bad idea for NoA to think SMB: The Lost Levels was too hard for us American (and Canadians, oh Canada! XD), was bringing SMB2 over a bad idea? No, it wasn't. SMB3 improved alot of the ideas that SMB2 had (holding items is the biggest one I can think of, and level warps) and it set the ground for the SMB cartoon, but other 2-D Mario games are better then Mario 2.

And if I remember correctly, Matt from X-Entertainment (it's not that kind of site, I'm not ready to get banned yet) wrote on article on SMB2. At least, I think he did, but I can't be too sure.
Canada, eh? '87

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 06:28:26 PM »
Back then, there was probably no way any of us could know that SMB2 was just a japanese game covered in a Mario theme. When I first played it through All-Stars, I enjoyed it a lot, and it was probably the least challenging of the bunch, but the different game mechanics and ability to play as 4 different characters was a great addition.

Speaking of X-Entertainment, yes he did write an article about it (stating it was his favorite Mario game) and the game is also included in Maddox's list of favorite video games.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
SMB2 was definitely not a bad idea.
SIG VIOLATOR

Print