Print

Author Topic: How do you pronounce Mario?  (Read 18689 times)

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2002, 02:09:23 PM »
Wario rhymes with Mario.  "Obey Wario, destroy Mario!"  As for Lakitu, I say "Lah-KEE-too," but I can see how there'd be other ways to say it and I'm not sure mine's the right one.
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2002, 06:01:38 PM »
I say lah-KEE-too (lucky 2?)

At first I thought avengah was either very stupid or didn't know English, but then I realized that he's from England.  My apologies for my thoughts spoken aloud...but in MY country (U.S.), we have freedom of speech.

LieutenantEagle
--------
Gandalf: The Eagles have come!  The Eagles have come!
LieutenantEagle: I know.  They''re in front of you.
LieutenantEagle
--------
Gandalf: The Eagles have come!  The Eagles have come!
LieutenantEagle: I know.  They''re in front of you.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2002, 10:14:28 PM »
I've read that people pronounce it LAH-ke-too, but I pronounce it la-KEE-too as well. I think I'll go record a sound file and tell you people to go there and then we can compare. Well, that's all for now...
Ahh, the US. I live here too, and I can't really imagine living in other places.

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2002, 04:25:16 AM »
Chupperson: To English people it doesn't look like "maar". It just looks like Mario. Said quickly, as it's spelt.

Ma (as in Mat)
Rio.

Three quick syllables.

Cheers,

Matt

Mountain Dew or Crab Juice? Oh, I can''t take it any more!
You got a toilet in there? "No, toilet in tower. Tower!"
Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2002, 07:02:12 PM »
I know! That's what I said! It obviously looks different to British people than American people! But seriously, haven't you ever heard him say "It's-a me! Mario!"? He says it the way you're supposed to say his name (that specific Mario)! Rhyme it with "Car"io. Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me anymore. It's not my problem if you can't see what I'm saying.

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2002, 07:18:29 PM »
Here's a sound file to tell you how I pronounce Mario, to avoid any confusion whatsoever.
http://matthewenterprises.tripod.com/mario.wav
You can hear it without much trouble, unless your computer is 5000+ years old. Or you don't have good software... or don't know how to use your computer...

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 8/26/2002 6:21:10 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2002, 01:19:20 PM »
Who knows? Perhaps in the UK, they replace Charles Martinet's infamous "it's-a me, Mario!" clip with a different one?

Anyway, neither way is proper nor improper. The only way to find out is to head over to Italy and ask someone there.

I always use the "ah" sound, though. However, to me it makes sense that English people would pronounce it "ah" and American pronounce it "aa"... odd.

Anyway, it only makes sense that Japanese people pronounce it as "ah", because their language is extremely simple. Each vowel makes only one sound, ex:
A = "ah"
I = "ee"
U = "oo"
E = "eh"
O = "oh"

That should also help for the pronounciation of Lakitu.

I have one last question for "Matt"... have you ever played Super Smash Bros. or Super Mario 64? If you have, do they change the pronounciation for 'Mario' in the UK version?
-Currently on Ch. 1 of my fic-

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2002, 10:39:15 PM »
"It's-a me, Mario"... infamous?! You don't know what you're talking about, bud. Where do you buy your knowledge anyway?
Japanese: Pronunciation is simple, everything else is not.
People in Italy pronounce it correctly (as in my cound clip.) I know that for a fact. So there.
That was a joke.

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2002, 05:41:17 PM »
Infamous: Causing or producing infamy; deserving detestation; scandalous to the last degree; as, an infamous act; infamous vices; infamous corruption. (excerpt from www.dictionary.com)

Ok, infamous was too strong a word. What about: famous yet on the verge of becoming annoying. Much like "Pika...".

But anyway, have you ever met anyone italian who didn't pronounce their name "Mah-rio"...
(Heck, I've never met anyone italian period...)
-Currently on Ch. 1 of my fic-

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2002, 10:43:02 PM »
Hmm. "Pika" is WAY worse than anything Mario ever said. Mario says that it's-a him every time I boot up my computer... that's cool. I don't find that annoying in the least. Now Pikachu, on the other hand, is an insane annoyance.
I think that uninformed British and American people invented the incorrect pronunciation of Mario... the right way has always been like my sound file...
That was a joke.

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2002, 05:28:03 PM »
CW! E-mail me your theme!!! It's Mario!

Why did I say that, I think there's one at http://www.themeworld.com/

Mario, Mario, Mario! What happened to Mr. Andretti?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2002, 10:47:33 PM »
Relax, dude... you can get it here at TMK too... :-)
That was a joke.

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2002, 07:31:18 AM »
Not that I'm aware of. All the pronunciations are the same I think. However, I prefer Mario's cartoon voice to the one in the games.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2002, 07:33:14 PM »
There's an Italian-American (granted, I'm not 100% sure how many generations removed he is, but I think his parents were actually from Italy) comedian named Mario Cantone, who pronounces his name "Mare-ee-o."

I don't think any one way is more right or wrong than the other in general, but "Mah-ree-o" is definitely right for the Nintendo character in particular.  A lot of words have two different pronunciations and one's not any more right than the other . . . like "obligatory."

"We took pity on him because he''d lost both parents at an early age. I think that, on reflection, we should have wondered a bit more about that."

--Lord Downey, Terry Pratchett''s "Hogfather"

Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2002, 08:39:12 PM »
Ich würde sagen, daß Marios Name als maw-ree-OH- gesagt würde und sehen würde, wie der ist, wie er es selbst in SM64 sagt!!!

www.songbirdocarina.com

Print