Print

Author Topic: Mario Canon (and Fanon, while we're at it)  (Read 15473 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »
And Mario's Time Machine. And Mario is Missing. And the Mario 64 guide maybe.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 11:37:09 PM »
I think the Brooklyn thing is pretty much canon. I'm not sure how it works, but the cartoon and movie had to have gotten the information from somewhere. You guys should read this:

Q: Mario is Italian. Or we assume he is Italian, was there something behind that?
As a kid, I was a big comic fan and I liked foreign comics as well. So I drew some characters that had more western type features with a little bigger noses and what not. Now with Mario, I think with Mario Bros. we had a setting of course that was underground, so I just decided Mario is a plumber. Let's put him in New York and he can be Italian. There was really no other deep thought other than that.

Source

Nintendo of America probably told the people behind the cartoons and movie that was how Mario was, but who knows if this bit of NoA intention is still true in modern Mario canon.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 12:40:27 AM »
Couldn't be bothered to tell 'em Bowser's name though eh
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 09:06:17 AM »
I have little reason to believe it's true anymore simply because they haven't acknowledged or utilized it in any way shape or form or for any reason since at least 1996 (where they mentioned Brooklyn in the Nintendo Power Player's Guide).

Tell me, what exactly does Mario being from Brooklyn add, if anything at all? I'm curious to know.

PS: You'll be glad to know I'm going home today. So hopefully this time I'll remember to dig the guide out.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 07:26:52 PM »
If things about the Marioverse stop being true just because they get ignored for a while, then the events of Mario RPG never happened.

What it adds is an interesting backstory that gives him a more human connection with the player -- not that that has any bearing on whether it's canon or not.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »
Mario is relatable enough, thank you very much. He doesn't need a multilayered Square-Enix backstory to be "interesting". This is one of those cases where people want the franchise to be something it blatantly is not.

And you can't say they've totally ignored SMRPG. We got Shamans in both Paper Mario games, Geno in M&L, and both of those were based heavily on the gameplay of SMRPG. SMRPG is also one of the first games to feature Toad societies and the sense of humor that would become a mainstay in several later games in the series.

Mario being from Brooklyn is a hardly comparable concept. Especially when it was only ever featured heavily in media that most Mario fans would rather forget about.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 08:06:24 PM »
It was in multiple games, multiple external Nintendo-approved sources, the TV shows, the movie, and in Miyamoto's own words. You can't just write all that off.

The movie even implicitly resolves the issue of Baby Mario and Luigi being seen in the Mushroom Kingdom -- their parents took them to Earth when they were young to escape the Koopas, which itself resolves the issue of Mario's apparent two mothers.

and

are obviously not the same person as

Albanomama is Mario and Luigi's Italian adoptive mother; Skinnymom is their biological Mushroom Kingdom human mother.

Where's the fun in putting together a Mario canon if you completely ignore the TV shows, the movie, the books, and the older or less popular games?

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
I'm not really taking this all that seriously, but for fun and curiosity I'll ask this.  Does the Mushroom Kingdom have any modern skyrise cities?  That is, some place for Donkey Kong to run around and smash girders on high rises?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
Mushroom City. Big Ape City. Diamond City. Those are the first three that come to mind. There are also numerous other unamed cities that appear in the background of various locations, but those could just as well be any of the above three.

Print