Print

Author Topic: Smash Bros. Brawl Delayed Until March 9th in the USA  (Read 23411 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: January 15, 2008, 01:16:30 AM »
Super Smash Bros. Brawl has been delayed, and will now be released on March 9th in North America.  The Japanese release has also been pushed back, but only until January 31st.

Wii.

Source: Smash Bros. Dojo and Wired's Game|Life.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:35:13 AM »
I guess that gives me more time to get the Wii LAN adapter.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 07:00:51 AM »
I wonder what will be done during this delay. Is it mostly translation of the game's various texts?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 08:15:15 AM »
"Oh, no, what have we done?! We've created a good game!!! Quick, delay the **** outta it!!!"

I've never imported before, but in this case...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 09:12:20 AM »
It's not even a whole month. Calm down, Asterisk Man (you've got quite the pottymouth, haven't you?).

Not sure what else needs doing. One would think the game is done... Marketing, perhaps (like the game doesn't market itself, you could put a sticky note on the window of Target saying "Brawl" and it would do)?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »
What's the big rush, anyway? It's just a fighting game. No big deal.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Wiiario

• Has seen Kirby naked
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 12:17:35 PM »
What's the big rush, anyway? It's just a fighting game. No big deal.

No... big deal??????!!! I'll kill you for that!! O.k. sorry, just a little... angry.... a lot...
Smash is a way of life, not just a game. It is a portal, a way I can escape life and all it's hell.
I really don't care much for logic.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 12:23:11 PM »
I'm probably getting my hopes up, but maybe they are using this delay to re-record Sonic's voice. A bunch of people have been trying to get them to bring back his old voice actor.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »
ㅤ ㅤ
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:26:36 PM by Mr.Toadsworth »

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 04:29:49 PM »
Did anyone notice that just about all these delays revolve around Sonic (?)

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »
Sonic might have had to walk the plank, so they removed him from this "Brawl"
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 05:02:25 PM »
Did anyone notice that just about all these delays revolve around Sonic (?)

That's a little ironic in a way, because Sonic is all about speed.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »
One thing I must say: Again? There can't be too much they have left to do. I mean, seriously. The game's coming out in January in Japan, for goodness' sake. From the screenshots that have been shown so far, it sure looks like it's already been translated. If that's so, then why do we have to wait a whole extra month?
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 06:20:27 PM »
Not a whole extra month. 10th - 9th with February's lack of days at the end.

Can an almost month of fine-tuning hurt? Seriously, the impatience, the whining and the "**** I WILL KILL SAKURAI" are, well... immature. I want it noooow, daddy. I want it!!

Had Melee been delayed a year, even, we wouldn't have cared by this point in time. Sooner or later it'll be six years after Brawl as well, and no one will remember the delays.
It's YOUR problem!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 06:24:35 PM »
I was talking about a whole extra month after the Japanese release. But yeah, fine-tuning is a good thing.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 06:39:28 PM »
this olde "Nintendo" is working out the remaining bugs for this brawl.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 10:01:01 PM »
One month of delay beats years of a horribly imbalanced game.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »
Maybe they're going to add 100 more features to it. The game already has everything under the sun... let's throw in the kitchen sink and Waluigi too... oh wait, Waluigi's already in as an Assist Trophy.

Blaming Sonic for the delay reminds me of a funny argument over at the old PDark forums (site for "Perfect Dark"), where there was belief that Perfect Dark was delayed for 2 years to perfect Grimshaw's annoying voice.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 12:30:19 AM »
It is a portal, a way I can escape life and all it's hell.

Arr, watch your mouth! Only a pirate can speak like that!

I think this be the best course of action Nintendo can take. It's like a captain at sea; when the ship is not ready to sail, ye wait a few more days...

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 08:08:19 PM »
Dang it, now I won't be able to avoid spoilers. I could stand staying off the internet for two weeks, but I doubt I have the self-control for six. I wouldn't mind at all if it was Twilight Princess game-improving delays, but the fact that the Japanese release date was only pushed back by a week lends credence to the idea that NOA just wants more marketing time, and the Japanese delay was just to make us feel better. Not that Brawl really needs huge amounts of marketing. Isn't Melee still selling a couple thousand copies a week? The Wii is way bigger than the Gamecube, and Brawl is a higher quality game with lots more exposure thanks to the proliferation of the internet. I think there are already more than enough people prepared to buy it on launch day. They'd be better off launching it as soon as they can, and then once they recover from the first week of sales, they can start worrying about selling it to the casuals who wouldn't wait in line for seven hours anyway.

Of course, there's always the possibility that they're adding content for the American version, which would make me happy.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 08:39:36 PM »
...Localization?
That was a joke.

Wiiario

• Has seen Kirby naked
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 09:54:48 PM »
...Localization?

Yeah, while it's a little of that, two months wouldn't be needed. Somethings weird here. It would be a good idea to get it away from other high-end titles, I don't know whats releasing, nor when, but I did hear that some titles coming out around that time. Now we must get to the bottom of this. Split up gang, and search for clues.
I really don't care much for logic.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 07:04:13 AM »
possibly they are adding more brawlers to the mix matey

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 08:16:57 AM »
That's a little ironic in a way, because Sonic is all about speed.
Yeah, but we also all know what the load times were like on Sonic the Hedgehog...

Now here's a poser: How much of the updates we've been seeing lately were already planned... and how much were added because of the delay?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 08:18:30 AM by ShadowBrain »

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »
I would laugh so hard if on March 3rd they changed the releash date to NEVER!
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 05:29:43 PM »
I would laugh so hard if on March 3rd they changed the releash date to NEVER!

That's pretty much when it'll be released in Australia... the Nintendo of Australia site for Brawl basically says "It's on the Wii, it's a fighting game, it's a sequel to SSBM. We know absolutely nothing about it, so here are some pictures from the first trailer of the game."

The sad thing is, apart from a slight bit of edited phrasing, what I said is probably close to what's there. Check it out for yourselves: http://games.nintendo.com.au/title.php?id=1143
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 02:48:22 AM »
Gotta love them "creenshots."
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 05:15:32 PM »
My fiancee said that this would make a good birthday present for me, and she's right. Somehow, the whole fact that the game comes out two days after my birthday didn't connect in my mind until after she said that.

Happy birthdya to me (in just over a month, March 7)!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 06:33:35 PM »
I guess I should say it now, then, in case I forget in the meantime:  Happy Birthday!
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 09:14:52 AM »
I'm probably getting my hopes up, but maybe they are using this delay to re-record Sonic's voice. A bunch of people have been trying to get them to bring back his old voice actor.

Heh, I actually frequent that board, and while I would really like for that to happen, I doubt the game would have to be delayed for almost an entire month for that. I doubt Sonic would have that much dialogue, but I coult be wrong.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »
Well, I'm sure you've all seen those conspiracy theories about how it actually had to do with legal debates with Square-Enix over you-know-who being in the game. Maybe that's the case, maybe it's not; but, personally, I think it just comes across as a bunch of Geno fanboys in serious denial about Wolf usurping him as the final character. I mean, I like Geno and all, but I can accept that he's not in the game and not have to concoct some elaborate story in my head that borders on Kennedy Assassination and Roswell territory.

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 04:12:34 PM »
Well, I'm sure you've all seen those conspiracy theories about how it actually had to do with legal debates with Square-Enix over you-know-who being in the game. Maybe that's the case, maybe it's not; but, personally, I think it just comes across as a bunch of Geno fanboys in serious denial about Wolf usurping him as the final character. I mean, I like Geno and all, but I can accept that he's not in the game and not have to concoct some elaborate story in my head that borders on Kennedy Assassination and Roswell territory.
Personally I think Wolf's a better choice anyway. His taunts are great, gave an excuse to throw in Star Wolf music, and it looks like his appearance was modified from Assault so that he looks decent now. I still think his Star Fox 64 self is better, but he wasn't screwed up as much as Fox.

For the people who still think Geno will appear in Brawl in some form... unless he turns into an Assist Trophy at the last second or becomes an American-exclusive addition, give it up. He's not in.

There was an Assist Trophy list somewhere, but I forgot where it went.
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 08:18:23 PM »
Assault wasn't the game to worry about. Command screwed everyone up something fierce.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 09:22:57 PM »
I never played Assault. From the screenshots, it just seemed to me like they were trying to copy a little of that Halo style. And I actually didn't think StarFox Adventures was that bad (though, I must ask: Who is it that legally requires Rare to implement infinite collecting, idiotic fetch quests, horrible voice samples, and the occasional physically impossible minigame?).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 09:39:02 PM »
Horrible voice samples? That was about the only game of theirs that even had that. Better yet, the only reason the game has any of the flaws it did was because of Nintendo's decision to force them to revamp the original Dinosaur Planet project into a Star Fox game, ****ing off both Rare fans and Star Fox fans alike.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2008, 09:52:38 PM »
Well, I guess by voice samples I meant voice acting or that irritating gobbledygook they speak in the Banjo-Kazooie games and Grabbed by the Ghoulies (first Xbox game and the title is a frickin' balls joke... nice. Very nice).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 09:56:53 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed Star Fox Adventures. And you know, it was Miyamoto's idea to turn it into a Star Fox game (not that that adds any validity to the idea). But I always thought it had excellent voice acting. At least, Fox, Krystal, and Falco had good acting. It would probably have been a cooler game if it were left to be Dinosaur Planet and not rushed to completion, but I still loved it. The music and environments were enough to win me over. I may have beaten it more than any other game. That seems a little weird.
Star Fox Assault was okay, and it had excellent music. The game wasn't quite as fun (especially on foot) but I liked it for advancing the storyline and having great music. The inexplicable Arwing collision system (i.e. no impact whatsoever) was pretty weird though. Thanks, Namco.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2008, 08:32:09 AM »
Well, I guess by voice samples I meant voice acting or that irritating gobbledygook they speak in the Banjo-Kazooie games and Grabbed by the Ghoulies (first Xbox game and the title is a frickin' balls joke... nice. Very nice).

The "irritating gobbledygook" was a part of the game's charm. It broke the mold in terms of character voices. Mind you, Rayman 2 took that prospect a step further, but still....

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2008, 04:43:52 PM »
Come to think of it, Super Smash Bros Brawl was supposed to come out today, but it got pushed to next week. Oh, well, at least we'll see more characters, courses and others.
It's-a Me, Wii-Player

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 05:44:39 PM »
You mean next month?

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 06:41:42 PM »
hopefully

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2008, 07:07:30 PM »
It's getting delayed again, thanks to TEM and me.

[18:40] <tanooki> is TMK needing any brawl info cause i got the game in english early from my uncle dont ask! and unlocked everything so far
[18:41] <+TEM> buuuuuuuulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll <censored>
[18:41] <+TEM> picture of you with the game disc and a paper with the words "TEM is the man" written on it, and I'll believe you
[18:41] <tanooki> ok dont believe me!
[18:42] <tanooki> i will just have fun and not tell anyone!
[18:44] <tanooki> im pretty lucky to have the game rite now im already bored of it
[18:44] <+TEM> this guy with the large testes is a liar
[18:45] <+TEM> I already asked you for a picture, PIX OR IT DIDN"T HAPPEN.
[18:46] <tanooki> I dont have a freaking webcam!
[18:46] <+TEM> an uncle with the hook ups to get an advanced copy of smash but no one in his family has a digital camera, or the ability to get a picture scanned and saved digitally
[18:47] <+TEM> lies
[18:48] <tanooki> omg you know what maybe if i get a cam tomorow i can show everyone hows that?
[18:48] <%Sunbun|bbl> you get a picture tomorrow, or you're not allowed to talk in here for three days
[18:49] <tanooki> ok deal!
[18:49] <+TEM> we have to be able to read the game's title off the disc
[18:50] <tanooki> ok on one condition im not showing my face!
[18:50] <+TEM> How am I going to kidnap you if I never see your face?
[18:50] <tanooki> XD lol
[18:53] <tanooki> ok well anything you need to ask?
[18:53] <WarpRattler> Yeah. Why don't you have that camera yet?
[18:54] <tanooki> do you know how late it is here?
[18:55] <+BirdPerson> It's almost seven o'clock. Do you know where your children are?
[18:55] <+TEM> Their cages.
[18:56] <tanooki> one more rude comment no one will know and i can get my uncle to get brawl pushed back cause he really does work with them how would you all like that?
[18:56] <WarpRattler> Now everyone knows you're lying. See you in three days.
[18:56] <+BirdPerson> Now, that's really not believable at all.
[18:57] <tanooki> oh yeah you wana know why twili princess was pushed back so much?
[18:57] <+BirdPerson> Improvements.
[18:57] <+BirdPerson> On actual development.
[18:57] <+BirdPerson> And stuff.
[18:57] <+BirdPerson> In Japan.
[18:58] <tanooki> no cause its but holes like you guys who act this way when i offer to give pre release info but know dont be surprised if brawl gets pushed back AGAIN!
[18:58] * tanooki Quit (Quit: Ciao!)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 07:09:12 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2008, 07:55:01 PM »
Lol. Just lol. Some people...

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008, 12:59:18 PM »
Well, I guess by voice samples I meant voice acting or that irritating gobbledygook they speak in the Banjo-Kazooie games...
As one other person said, it adds to the charm, although I'll admit Banjo's "guh-uh-uh-huh-uh" got annoying fast. Kazooie's voice somehow didn't.
In Star Fox for SNES, part of why I adored Peppy so much was for the cute rhythm to his "voice". Fox was okay, Slippy was tolerable, Falco sounded ugly (but he sure redeemed himself in SF64). And so I was cursing at SF64 once Peppy got the "old" voice.

Horrible voice samples? That was about the only game of theirs that even had that. Better yet, the only reason the game has any of the flaws it did was because of Nintendo's decision to force them to revamp the original Dinosaur Planet project into a Star Fox game, ****ing off both Rare fans and Star Fox fans alike.
Actually, I welcomed the change just because it meant a visual upgrade (and that Krystal looked attractive now, having been changed to a vixen, but that's beside the point). Felt the same way with Eternal Darkness: The move to GameCube was a good thing. Better framerate, better character models, everything's more clear. Seriously, recall that Star Fox Adventures is great for framerate as far as Rare games go.

I thoroughly enjoyed Star Fox Adventures. And you know, it was Miyamoto's idea to turn it into a Star Fox game (not that that adds any validity to the idea). But I always thought it had excellent voice acting. At least, Fox, Krystal, and Falco had good acting. It would probably have been a cooler game if it were left to be Dinosaur Planet and not rushed to completion, but I still loved it. The music and environments were enough to win me over. I may have beaten it more than any other game. That seems a little weird.

Yes, the game had nothing to do with Star Fox, but we got a great Fox McCloud model out of it (voice actor for him is excellent too, sounds just like I expected), wonderful unrelated-to-StarFox music, cool visual effects, Chief Lightfoot, and just knowing this is Dinosaur Planet in some form. Krystal had a great British accent too, pity we didn't hear much of it in English.

One day I returned to SFA, after having recently played Beyond Good & Evil (or was it Prince of Persia), and was in awe at how beautiful SFA still was. Actually, I was more in awe at the silky-smooth framerate and how responsive Fox was to movement. What I usually look at to validate the framerate is the fluidity with which Fox's tail moves. And I still love the little detail of Fox's ear twitching if you stay still for a moment.

I'll admit the game's not perfect, it's very unfair in a few places (I hate pushing the strong Lightfoot into the pit), but it just makes me so darn happy when playing it that I can't resist.

Disadvantage of story advancements to the Star Fox series through Adventures and Assault? We now have Fortuna the former dinosaur planet, Fichina the ice planet that was mistakenly called Fortuna in the American release of SF64, and Dinosaur Planet which was renamed to Sauria. I can't take any more Fortunas.
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2008, 05:42:36 PM »
(I hate pushing the strong Lightfoot into the pit)
Oh, God, I feel your pain.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2008, 02:40:04 AM »
I never understood how people find that so irritating! Isn't it just A-mashing that's necessary?

Compared to the mashing I had to do in Star Fox Assault on the last level on Gold difficulty, it was cake.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2008, 07:43:50 AM »
Alright, then, how'd you feel about the Test of Fear?

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2008, 11:36:31 AM »
I found the Test of Fear actually pretty hard (and found dino-pushing very easy since it was just button mashing).

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2008, 03:35:16 PM »
I have very slow, fat fingers when it comes to button mashing, so the test with the really strong Lightfoot was hard. The test of fear was like tasty, buttery cake, however.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »
Test of Fear is usually pretty easy. Sometimes it gets randomly hard for me. Likewise, the button mashing was pretty easy, but if you mash too much at the wrong time I think you actually lose.
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2008, 06:46:58 PM »
The first time I did the Test of Fear, it took me around 8 tries. -_-

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2008, 07:28:02 PM »
Didn't it make you go through the little level each time just to retry, also? I think I did it three times. :<

EDIT: Oh yeah, and regarding the voice acting, Krystal is awesome, Fox is barely okay, and everyone else is pure and utter crapitty crap. And that saxophone music that busts out when Fox sees Krystal, that was awesome. Games need more sax-type music.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:31:17 PM by Lizard Dude »

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2008, 12:28:05 AM »
One time I was doing the Test of Strength, not being able to press A fast enough... and we were basically at a stalemate. For about 30 seconds or so the platform stayed at the same position, neither of us being closer to the pit. I actually ran out of time and lost by default.

I mean, I've pressed the Start button rapidly to get the secret battle stages in Bomberman 64, but somehow wasn't able to summon that skill for this test until about 10-20 tries later.

The Test of Fear I passed after... like five tries. All I remember is that I couldn't pay attention to anything on the screen except for that darn bar. When the final part came, the marker plunged to one side and stayed -right- on the edge for a few heart-stopping seconds.
But thanks to YouTube, now we can watch the video.
You didn't say wot wot.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2008, 04:55:17 PM »
what are you guys talking about?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2008, 05:40:27 PM »
Oh, we just got off on some sort of StarFox Adventures tangent... Feel free to join.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2008, 09:23:10 PM »
Oh, we just got off on some sort of StarFox Adventures tangent... Feel free to join.
I'm not too big on Star Fox. But what is the Test of Fear?

Print