Print

Author Topic: Super Paper Mario sucks  (Read 18390 times)

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« on: September 27, 2007, 02:31:02 AM »
Yeah, that's right. Super Paper Mario is the worst in its series, as well as the worst Mario game I've ever played (Except for Mario's Time Machine). To start off on a good note, I guess I have to say that the music is good. Anywhere else, though, this game fails. The gameplay is just too simple. The previous Paper Mario games were RPGs, and that's what made them good. You take the RPG out of Paper Mario, and what do you get? You get a boring linear platformer. Sure they had the 3-D feature thing, but that was pretty stupid and tacked-on. There may have been RPG elements here, but otherwise the gameplay was pretty bad.

Story-wise, this game fails too. Perhaps I haven't gone far enough into it--due to the fact that it sucks--but the story is pretty stupid. It feels like it tries to be funny like TTYD was, but fails miserably. The story just lost that little charm that the previous game has. Plus, the characters are pretty stupid. I can't think of their names and associating how much they fail now because I haven't played the game in very long. As for the Pixl's, they're just crappy sidekick ripoffs. In terms of graphics I have nothing to say. They're not important to me. I guess there are some perks to this game, but they still can't fight the massive suck that is Super Paper Mario. I hope that the Paper Mario series returns to RPGs. If Nintendo wants to give us platformers, let them give us Super Mario Galaxy.

Sqrt2

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 02:56:10 AM »
I agree that the Paper Mario series works better as an RPG than a platform game. And the Pixels are kind of weak sidekicks. The thing I dislike the most however, is that you constantly have to change to Mario whenever you need to go 3-D. And that Peach can't use that parasol of hers to whack baddies with.
AA fanboy and proud!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:35:50 AM »
Tacked on? How is a feature built into a game from the beginning of development tacked on?
Also, 2(or 2.5)D platformers are always welcome from my perspective. 3D platformers are great, but they're the Too Easy ones.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:53:18 AM »
Worst Mario game ever? I beg to differ. From your argument one could deter that, if it weren't for the fact you didn't really back-up your view and only kept repeating  "everything sucks and is stupid."

The 3D thing wasn't stupid at all. I thought that it was ingenious, because it makes you think how levels in 2D games would look if seen from a different angle. It was supposed to make you think and allow you to examine your environment more, wanting you to fully explore the hidden world within. About the game play being too simple, that's what makes it easy to grasp, allowing more people to play it. It also opens up a larger audience, as its familiar plat-forming style invites veterans of the older games. Besides, its simplicity easily allows more to take place, making SPM a huge game. (My game file says I've been playing for 50+ hours, even though I haven't even collected everything yet).

None of the Pixls were sidekick rip-offs. Sidekicks appear in all PM games and do the same thing: grant new abilities. so do the Pixls. The Pixls are just a different take on the Mario-enemy partners. SPM just didn't give them enough personality, but neither did the original PM.

The story doesn't suck, it's just bizarre. And Mario games are bizarre to begin with. I mean, Peach and Bowser getting married and opening up an inter-dimensional rift? And that whole thing with Count Bleck? Sure, the story isn't as involved as PMTTYD was, but still it was a good attempt at making a game that is more character-driven than story-driven, in my opinion. It was more light-hearted than PMTTYD, which I thought was considerably dark for a Mario game.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 01:03:45 PM »
.. was considerably dark for a Mario game.

Oh good! I'm not the only one who thought that! Thank you!

I kind of agree that the PM series works better as an RPG, I commend them for making an effort to try something new. Experiments aren't always successful, and this one didn't exactly have flying colors or anything, but I think it was good, and I hope it paves the way for other papery experiments (Paper Mario Kart, Paper Mario Party, Paper Mario Golf, Paper Mario Tennis, Paper Mario Baseball..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 01:15:43 PM »
Tacked on? How is a feature built into a game from the beginning of development tacked on?
It just feels as if it's unnecessary.

3D platformers are great, but they're the Too Easy ones.
lol wut

Worst Mario game ever? I beg to differ. From your argument one could deter that, if it weren't for the fact you didn't really back-up your view and only kept repeating  "everything sucks and is stupid."
I didn't keep repeating that everything "sucked and was stupid" I only said that once or twice. Also, what is the worst Mario game, Time Machine and MiM aside?

The 3D thing wasn't stupid at all. I thought that it was ingenious, because it makes you think how levels in 2D games would look if seen from a different angle. It was supposed to make you think and allow you to examine your environment more, wanting you to fully explore the hidden world within. About the game play being too simple, that's what makes it easy to grasp, allowing more people to play it. It also opens up a larger audience, as its familiar plat-forming style invites veterans of the older games. Besides, its simplicity easily allows more to take place, making SPM a huge game. (My game file says I've been playing for 50+ hours, even though I haven't even collected everything yet).
The 3-D think was a novelty at first, but it's not a great feature because 1) The time limit and 2) It's overused, because you use it constantly for puzzle solving. Simplicity may sometimes be a good thing (look at Tetris), but SPM wasn't a fun, addicting simplicity, it was a boring simplicity. If Nintendo wanted to make a 2-D platforming game, couldn't they have at least added a run button or more power-ups or something? That would have robbed some of the RPG elements, but it would have made it more fun. From what Bird Person says, it's not that huge of a game, since he beat it within like a week, and from what little I've played, I've reached 4-1.

None of the Pixls were sidekick rip-offs. Sidekicks appear in all PM games and do the same thing: grant new abilities. so do the Pixls. The Pixls are just a different take on the Mario-enemy partners. SPM just didn't give them enough personality, but neither did the original PM.
Okay, I agree that PM did not give them a lot of personality, but they still got more than the Pixls. Otherwise, though, you're pretty much right. They serve the same function as the side kicks in the previous games. Maybe the previous sidekicks feel more significant because they help in battles and such.

The story doesn't suck, it's just bizarre. And Mario games are bizarre to begin with. I mean, Peach and Bowser getting married and opening up an inter-dimensional rift? And that whole thing with Count Bleck? Sure, the story isn't as involved as PMTTYD was, but still it was a good attempt at making a game that is more character-driven than story-driven, in my opinion. It was more light-hearted than PMTTYD, which I thought was considerably dark for a Mario game.
How is "Save the Princess from the Evil King" a bizarre story? As for the story where I'm at, it's pretty boring, and a bit too light-hearted and silly. It feels as if it's attempting the humor that TTYD had and it's failing miserably. Of course, I have heard that around Chapter 6 something good happens to the the story. Then again they said that about chapter 3 too... I can understand why TTYD had a more involved story, as it was an RPG, but SPM either needs a simpler story, or a more entertaining one that appeals to more people. As for the darkness of TTYD, perhaps that's why it appeals to me, I dunno

So there, I did not say "suck" or "stupid" once, except for a quote from NE89. I think these explanations are are much better than those made earlier.

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 01:44:13 PM »
This game's been out for almost half a year and you're just now starting to rant?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 01:49:56 PM »
I'm not going to say SPM is my favorite in the Paper series (TTYD was), but I will defend a few certain things. Warning: This Post May Contain Slight Spoilers.

First off, the story is not bad at all. As NE89 said, it is a tad bizarre-- as is the story for virtually all Mario RPGs. Despite the strangeness of fighting a mad and heartbroken Count in order to prevent all dimensions from being erased, his backstory is somewhat interesting in that he wasn't out to destroy the world from the get-go. His minions are all have amusing quirks and even their own agenda, perhaps. Also, every bit of dialog in the game has purpose or is just funny. Speaking of which, I found the dialog to be hilarious and often quite clever. I also love the bosses.

Although comparatively uninteresting compared to the companions in the past, the Pixls tend to be very useful in your adventures. They aren't "rip-offs" as much as they are simple tools.

Finally, the switch to 3D is usually quite important and interesting. Unfortunately, I don't usually like the view, and fighting enemies in 3D is usually too awkward to be much fun.

Also on the flopside, I would agree that the platforming and RPG elements don't mesh extremely well. The platforming parts usually distract from the main point of the series: telling a story. As such, the story is often squashed into mini-segments that are sometimes confusing, and distract from the main protagonist(s). Speaking of platforming, I didn't really like it. Sometimes it was just repetitive, and sometimes it was just frustrating to need more Pixls to access other parts. It did get somewhat "boring and linear" at times. Especially linear.

As I look back upon playing it, I can say that I enjoyed it on the whole, and that I'm glad I played it. And that's saying something.

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 02:14:40 PM »
I wouldn't call it the worst mario game ever, but yeah, I kinda agree.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 02:23:30 PM »
Hahah, Suffix, how many RPGs have you played again? Yes, they can be great for story, but the vast majority have story segments separated by vast amounts of battling. Not very different from vast amounts of platforming. At any rate, comparing it to the previous two Paper Marios with Super Paper Mario makes no sense because they are two different styles of game, and the Pixls aren't supposed to be equivalent or substitutes for the sidekicks.
P.S. It is a funny game and I don't know how funny PM2 is because I haven't played it but the humor of SPM can stand on its own merit. What's the deal?
That was a joke.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 02:43:56 PM »
"Perhaps I haven't gone far enough into it--due to the fact that it sucks--but the story is pretty stupid."

I don't think I need to comment on that quote.
If you don't think it was a good RPG, then think of it as a platformer, and if you don't think it was a good platformer, think of it as an RPG. I personally thought it was a great game. I mean the RPG/platformer mix had bean done a million times, but it worked well.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 02:53:23 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 03:23:26 PM »
You're bashing the game and you're only on 4-1? If you ask me, giving a full review on a game before you've beaten it is one of the most biased things you can do. (No offense, I'm just stating my opinion)

Also, comparing this game to the previous two Paper Mario games is like comparing Super Mario 64 to the Super Mario Bros. series. Super Mario 64 was quite a deviation from the Mario platform series, and I don't see very many people bashing that game.

Whatever you do, don't criticize the story. You haven't played far enough. Since I've beaten the game twice and all, I can say for sure that this game has, hands down, the best plot of any Mario game. Of course, that's just my opinion, but I think it's clear that it's at least better than that "ONO PEACH GOT STOLENED AGAIN" garbage.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 03:33:24 PM »
To comment on Shyguy92's post, I think it would be safe to call RPG Platformers their own genre these days. If I were a genre-labeling kind of guy.
My point being, it's not really a gimmick (as he seemed to indicate) but its own style of game.
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 03:37:41 PM »
I thought PM:TTYD was much better, but SPM is far from being the Worst Mario game ever. Try Mario Hotel, or Mario is Missing.

EDIT: Yeah, I noticed you said "Mario Hotel and Mario Missing aside" but still.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 05:09:01 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 03:41:08 PM »
You're bashing the game and you're only on 4-1? If you ask me, giving a full review on a game before you've beaten it is one of the most biased things you can do. (No offense, I'm just stating my opinion)

Also, comparing this game to the previous two Paper Mario games is like comparing Super Mario 64 to the Super Mario Bros. series. Super Mario 64 was quite a deviation from the Mario platform series, and I don't see very many people bashing that game.

Whatever you do, don't criticize the story. You haven't played far enough. Since I've beaten the game twice and all, I can say for sure that this game has, hands down, the best plot of any Mario game. Of course, that's just my opinion, but I think it's clear that it's at least better than that "ONO PEACH GOT STOLENED AGAIN" garbage.
Okay so I pointed out in my second post that I was not really far enough to criticize the story properly. Also, Why do you think I'm not very far? Because I don't play it due to displeasure it brings me. I'm sure the people that dismissed E.T. and Superman 64 as bad games (No, SPM isn't that bad) never finished them. Who seriously finishes bad games just so they can call them bad?

Print