Print

Author Topic: Earthbound rated by ESRB for Virtual Console  (Read 8354 times)

« on: October 04, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »
Although I don't have a link, I checked around and it seems that Earthbound's officially coming to Wii.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 08:40:30 PM »
This happened a while back.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »
I made this thread because:

A: I didn't remember anybody mentioning anything about it
B: There wasn't a topic about it.
C: I just heard about this
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 10:09:06 PM »
I don't remember hearing about it (probably because of the "NOA hates EarthBound" thing). But Wikipedia says it is coming. Cool. Now I'll withhold my excitement until there's a topic on EarthBound actually being released for Virtual Console. Probably going to be the 400th VC game or something.
You didn't say wot wot.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 11:55:41 PM »
This is old news, so my hope that it means something has died. But I actually hear that there are copyright issues being worked out with the rerelease. Like in StarTropics, the Island Yo-Yo is renamed the Island Star because Yo-Yo is copyrighted in Canada. There are a bunch of yo-yos in EarthBound, of course... calling them all, "Star," "Trick Star," "Combat Star," would be pretty confusing as to what you're "shooting." I mean, what do you call a yo-yo if not that?

But... I never use yo-yos or slingshots in EarthBound. Their superiority over other available weapons is usually not very significant and otherwise short-lived, and you can't score a "SMAAAASH" with a shooting weapon. So I wouldn't really care if they just got taken out of the game.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 09:03:39 AM »
I'm trying to get the original off the internet, anyway, because this one's taking forever and they'll probably censor it even more when it finally comes out.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 10:12:09 AM »
This is nice. I'm still playing it on ZSNES, but without sound. SMAAAASHes are random.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 10:26:55 AM »
This is old news, so my hope that it means something has died. But I actually hear that there are copyright issues being worked out with the rerelease. Like in StarTropics, the Island Yo-Yo is renamed the Island Star because Yo-Yo is copyrighted in Canada. There are a bunch of yo-yos in EarthBound, of course... calling them all, "Star," "Trick Star," "Combat Star," would be pretty confusing as to what you're "shooting." I mean, what do you call a yo-yo if not that?

But... I never use yo-yos or slingshots in EarthBound. Their superiority over other available weapons is usually not very significant and otherwise short-lived, and you can't score a "SMAAAASH" with a shooting weapon. So I wouldn't really care if they just got taken out of the game.
Yeah it would probably be good to significantly change the gameplay to get around an easierly solved trademark issue.  I'm as serious right now as you were.  I'm a little surprised that they make all the North American releases synchronized for that, since "yo-yo" has been untrademarked since 1965.  Meanwhile, I get the feeling that Band-Aid might be trying to claim their trademark more now, if their new lyrics are any indication, so then what do you do for the Hand-aid?

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 12:39:59 PM »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 01:47:36 PM »
SMAAAASHes are random.
You deserve to be SMAAAASHED yourself. The chance you'll get one depends on your Guts stat.

EM: I'm not saying they should just take out the yo-yos. I'm just saying I wouldn't care if they did.
BD: It's probably easier to get away with one mention in a mode that has little to do with the rest of the game than to, say, have Ness say "Whoa yo-yo! I'm using a yo-yo!" during a match.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Boo Dudley

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 03:29:32 PM »
You'd be surprised how little can set of a corporation.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 03:33:05 PM »
For a successful suit, the party holding the trademark must prove in court that the other party's use of said trademark infringes upon the trademark holder's ability to sell the trademarked product or service. Use as a minor item (the yo-yo) or as the base of a pun (the Hand-aid) hardly qualifies for this purpose.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Boo Dudley

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 03:34:29 PM »
In other words, what he said.

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 04:14:36 PM »
They'll change the name once kids who don't know better use yo-yos as weapons, thinking that's the cool thing to do these days. After hearing an article long, long ago about some young kid who jumped off a building, claiming he was a flying Pokemon, I'm not surprised at seeing every little thing censored.

Kent Brockman: "Springfield has come down with a fever: football fever. If you have the fever, there's only one cure. Take two tickets, and see the game Sunday morning."
Public Service Announcer: "Warning. Tickets should NOT be taken internally."
Homer: "See? Because of me, now they have a warning."
You didn't say wot wot.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 07:05:18 PM »
I wonder if anyone would care/know about Earthbound if Bird Person didn't bring it here...
"it's always the present"

Print