Print

Author Topic: Weekly Releases (10/1) +  (Read 394803 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1455 on: October 19, 2010, 07:42:18 AM »
Is that an insult against Vanquish and Kirby?
Well, I haven't heard a whole lot about Vanquish, and I'm going to need to hear some extraordinary reviews before I consider another Kirby game.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1456 on: October 19, 2010, 12:28:42 PM »
Vanquish is from Shinji Mikami, the man who made Resident Evil fun (RE4), the man who made one of the legendary Best Games Ever, God Hand.
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't need to hear anything aside from this.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1457 on: October 20, 2010, 05:08:42 AM »
My copy of DJ Max Portable 3 arrived yesterday.

-Broken English, which is still better than no English translation at all. I'm looking at you, Sega and Konami.
-Several play modes: standard four-button and six-button, plus new Remix modes involving the analog nub.
-Standard three-song arcade mode.
-Mission mode and level system for unlocking stuff.
-Awesome soundtrack.
-DJ Max games in general go a lot farther than other rhythm games in terms of accuracy measurement: rather than a Konami-style system with a few levels, it displays a percentage for your accuracy on a given note in increments of 10%, plus a 1% accuracy measurement if you just barely hit a note or if you forget to release a hold note. While I haven't had it happen to myself yet (still adjusting to some of the weird stuff this game does, so I can't come close to full perfects quite yet), I've seen the horror of a 99.9% judgment rating. I've also heard one of the challenges requires you to get a 1% judgment rating, which sounds harder to me than a perfect full combo.
-On-the-fly scroll speed adjustment (1x-7x in increments of .5x). Yeah, yeah, I know, increasing the scroll speed is cheating in something like Guitar Hero, where player accuracy is less important than note chaining, but DJ Max is more like beatmania IIDX or pop'n music, in which even pro players have to use speed mods. (Incidentally, IIDX also lets you adjust scroll speed in-game.)
-Something you don't normally see: rather than being like Star Power (which weaker players can and often do store and then use as an easy way out of tough sections), things get more difficult when you activate Fever mode: in addition to boosting the chain multiplier for higher scoring, it increases the scroll speed, which is especially bad if you've already got it boosted manually. And you have to use Fever to get more Fever; to increase the multiplier, you have to fill up the Fever gauge and activate it again while already in Fever mode.
-Speaking of things not being made easier: they killed off the foul beast that is autocorrect (a non-optional mechanic in some of the previous games by which you could press the wrong button for a note and simply be penalized slightly on your judgment rating without breaking your chain). DJ Max Trilogy, the PC game, had autocorrect, but they killed it in a recent patch, so I'd guess Pentavision realized what a mistake the feature was.
-SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC (yeah) SUPERSONIC

Overall I've been loving the game so far, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it when it's $40 for the download version. The UMD version is worth the $40 because you actually own the game you're paying for.

« Reply #1458 on: October 21, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »
Not a game, but the Video Games Live: Level 2 orchestral concert DVD and CD came out this week. I picked up the DVD (and The Human Centipede on BD while I was at it).

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1459 on: October 24, 2010, 11:59:27 AM »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #1460 on: October 25, 2010, 03:29:13 AM »
This week:

Rock Band 3

For Deezer this week we have Rock Band 3.

Weekly Reading Assignment: Rock Band 3

« Reply #1461 on: October 29, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
Well now I feel bad; this thread wot usually gets a couple pages of posts per week got NONE due to my excitement/trolling. So.

This week:

Rock Band 3
BIT.TRIP FATE
Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman
Fable III
Bloody Good Time
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

For Deezer this week we have Flashlight.

« Reply #1462 on: October 30, 2010, 12:13:36 AM »
Everybody was too busy playing Rock Band 3.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1463 on: October 30, 2010, 07:46:15 AM »
My cousin has been looking forward to Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II even more than I have.  It looks pretty sweet, no foolin'.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1464 on: October 30, 2010, 08:32:30 AM »
I actually didn't care about anything this week except Rock Band 3, but I won't play that any time soon anyway. The JRPG does have a cool title, though.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #1465 on: October 30, 2010, 10:30:09 PM »
Only thing that appeals to me at all about Force Unleashed II is that somehow you can be Guybrush Threepwood. It's a win-win, since I'd be Guybrush and at the same time, I wouldn't be Starkiller.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #1466 on: November 01, 2010, 08:19:30 PM »
This week:

Microsoft Kinect

Dance Central
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Hoard
No Heroes Allowed!
Ys: The Oath of Felghana
007: Blood Stone
007: GoldenEye
Blood Drive
Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage
Sonic Free Riders
Babysitting Mama
PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure

And for Deezer this week we have The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1467 on: November 01, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
If she's a mama, why isn't she watching her own kids?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #1468 on: November 01, 2010, 08:59:31 PM »
My mom babysat her friends' kids at our house occasionally while I was still a kid myself.

I liked those days, because I got fed.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1469 on: November 01, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »
Oo, prolly have to pick up another excellent Ys PSP game this week.
That was a joke.

Print