Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers Wii  (Read 165739 times)

« Reply #465 on: November 22, 2009, 06:36:45 PM »
Amen to that, TK. Games are meant to be enjoyed, not endured. NSMBWii is certainly harder than I (and most everyone else) had anticipated, although no single level has cost me more than five or six lives.

Wendy's Castle was a *****, though. Bleeurghh.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #466 on: November 22, 2009, 06:44:31 PM »
Okay, here's the thing, as was "the thing" with SMG, BiS, and a few other games: The difficulty of the levels themselves? The organized chaos of multiplayer is probably a factor, but I actually die constantly. However, there's a million Item/1UP/Star Houses, repetitive/condescending instructions, and those parts where the enemies attack you on the map and you're literally forced to get three Mushrooms. The "difficulty" in most recent Mario games is the equivalent of a drill seargant who follows you around the whole time happily offering Gatorade and encouraging you to rest for a little while.

Also, the Yoshis do not have enough of a presence to justify being on the cover of the game. Also also, I think they started putting Mini Mushrooms in the game, then realized they didn't want to and forgot to get rid of the ones they'd already put in.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #467 on: November 22, 2009, 06:54:30 PM »
As previously stated,
Perhaps, but it comes at the cost of turning Yoshi into Kuribo's Shoe with a tongue.

Demoting Yoshi to "once-per-world cameo" status is pitiful move by Nintendo in that it shows their unwillingness to make provisions to accomodate him in every level.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #468 on: November 22, 2009, 07:00:54 PM »
Yeah, I remember making a comment about Nelson Muntz when he showed up.

I was actually leaning more toward the other three bullies, Jimbo, Kearny & Dolph.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #469 on: November 22, 2009, 08:21:49 PM »
Okay, I think I can shed some light on the "harder than Contra" claim.

It's a BS claim, yes, but I think the only reason they said that is because there are some parts where enemies flood the screen (but are horribly easy to dodge). I think since NSMB Wii would sometimes throw 15-20 enemies on the screen at one time (rarely) they said it's "harder than Contra" simply because the enemy count was greater than Contra's on-screen enemy count for 15 seconds of the game (Contra's difficulty being based on all the crap flying at you at any given moment, of course).

I guess since Nintendo knew they could display way more enemies at one time than Contra (and because there are rare situations in NSMB Wii where it does happen), they thought "oh lol okay, since contra is hard and there are less than 15 or so enemies on the screen at any given time in that game.... and since NSMB Wii can display more than that... IT MUST BE HARDER."

Also, about the Yoshis: That was just pure fanservice. Would I want the Yoshis to be used in any and all levels? Hell no. Why? Because the control for them is very annoying and slow. SMW showcased the best Mario+Yoshi control, in my opinion, and I think they did just fine by allowing the "once per world" Yoshi level and keeping it at that.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #470 on: November 22, 2009, 08:24:42 PM »
They made Yoshi as awesome as the Kuribo Shoe by limiting his usage.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #471 on: November 25, 2009, 09:56:06 PM »
Two things that should've been in NSMBW: Actual names for the levels and the ability to kick a Koopa shell upwards (both of which you could do in SMW).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #472 on: November 25, 2009, 10:37:19 PM »
Kicking shells up = yes
Level names = no one cares
That was a joke.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #473 on: November 26, 2009, 12:37:03 AM »
I think the level names thing would be kinda interesting. It would make more sense than "1-3".
But if I could choose only one, I'd say kicking shells upward.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #474 on: November 26, 2009, 04:17:29 AM »
I'm guessing many of the Star Coins would be too easy to get if Koopa shells could be kicked upwards. Makes me wonder if it's actually worth it to have the ability to collect coins with shells. It doesn't really make sense either.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #475 on: November 26, 2009, 08:55:22 AM »
Level names = no one cares
Well, at least one person does. What I actually had in mind, though, was actually World names like SMW.

« Reply #476 on: November 26, 2009, 09:29:20 AM »
I just call the Worlds New Grass Land, New Desert Land and the like. I call them SMW names too.

Ooh! I call the Yoshi level in World 6 Moleville because of all the Monty Moles that pop up. I know noone particularly cares what I think, since I don't work for Nintendo.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:13:28 AM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #477 on: November 26, 2009, 06:02:20 PM »
Well, at least one person does. What I actually had in mind, though, was actually World names like SMW.

Mario Wiki came up with some:
World 1 - Mushroom Plains
World 2 - Sea of Sand
World 3 - Penguin Playground
World 4 - Sparkle Ocean
World 5 - Toxic Forest
World 6 - Stone Head Mountains
World 7 - Cloud Castle Courtyard
World 8 - Bowser's Volcano
World 9 - Rainbow Path (Bonus World)

Really good names, BTW.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #478 on: November 26, 2009, 06:22:21 PM »
Fan-made names have no place anywhere.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #479 on: November 26, 2009, 06:31:09 PM »
Well, I suppose it's odd to just come up with names for the worlds like that, but they're mostly decent (kind of brings to mind that old thread I had about what the Mario games would've been called if they had subtitles instead of numerical/geographical suffixes).

Print