Print

Author Topic: Vivian = Male? (Paper Mario)  (Read 22386 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »
Clearly, the concept of transsexuality/gender confusion is more acceptable in Japan than over here (most Adam Sandler movies aside), but I must ask: Is there also a disproportionate amount of such individuals in Japan, or can the seemingly considerable amount of transvetites, etc. in videogames/other media be attributed to the small-scale, less conservative equivalent of the American need to put multicultural people in advertisements?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2009, 11:23:16 AM »
Actually, Japan frowns more on such people than America does in real life, but in fiction they're all over the place.
That was a joke.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2009, 12:39:04 PM »
A den of Weeaboos, that's what. This is why we can't have nice things.

People act like "Weeaboo" is like the N-Word.

Call me one, I promise I won't get offended. :)
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2009, 01:38:11 PM »
RETURN MY BIKE YOU [darn]ED WEEABOO
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2009, 04:37:45 PM »
What in the world is the linguistic root of that word, anyway?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2009, 05:59:03 PM »
Actually, Japan frowns more on such people than America does in real life, but in fiction they're all over the place.

Why does Japan frown on so many things that pop up so often in their fiction? Are they a nation of hypocrites or something?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »
ShadowBrain: http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF071-Weeaboo.gif is the first recorded instance of the word.
Chef: No idea.
That was a joke.

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2009, 09:28:48 PM »
That's hard to believe, considering that there's no previous context. "Weeaboo" obviously meant something at the time of that comic's inception, so... yeah. It was probably originally an in-joke in some obscure forum, right?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2009, 09:34:29 PM »
It was used in that comic, and then some 4chan mods made it the replacement word in the filter for "wapanese". From there, it just caught on.

As for the nation of hypocrites, its mostly about the money. Pander to the basement dwellers, and they'll spend millions on little anime girl statues, CD dramas, hug pillows, and whatever else they can get out of commercialization. If you ever read some reports, you can see that kind of behavior isn't encouraged by the public.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2009, 10:51:38 PM »
Funny how niches apparently = bank in Japan, while in America...

Speaking of America, not to dip into NatDT territory, but it's kind of the pot calling the kettle black to contemplate Japan being hypocritical for letting their media glorify things they collectively disapprove of.

And CW: Yeah, I remember when someone posted that disturbing thing around here... like Weegee said, there's not really any previous context (but has that ever stopped the internet?), and yet it just seems so... right.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »
Scratch what I said. Japan is a nation of swindlers. Can't be believe I didn't think to put it that was sooner.

Then again, they DO pride themselves on ripping off America so...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »
Are you sure you aren't thinking of China?

Print