Print

Author Topic: Mario & Luigi 3 is officially the highest rated handheld game ever made.  (Read 19327 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:41:36 PM »
After universal acclaim from the game critique industry, tracking sites such as Gamestats and Metacritic currently show Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story the highest review/rating average of any handheld game made in history. Or at least since reviews began to be tracked.

Regardless, I was surprised at how fantastic the game is. I wasn't keeping track of it at all until about a week before it came out since like a lot of people the story concept put me off a little. When people were telling me it was the best in the series, I flat out denied the possibility and refused to bellieve it could be true. But I was pleasantly wrong. Let us discuss how amazing the game is.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 12:57:57 PM »
Yeah, uh, I'm seeing Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars and Chrono Trigger DS rated equally or higher on Metacritic - not that metascores for DS games are really worth anything, considering that DSiWare titles are lumped in with full retail games.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:37:08 PM »
No. Temptation. Please!

I didn't finish the prequels and I'm afraid if I get this it will have the same fate, thus $50 wasted.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »
I'll admit it was good, but by no means the greatest handheld game ever. I'm currently rallying my fellow Pokemon fans to get on your ass over this just as we speak.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 03:38:21 PM »
Well, being better than Partners in Time shouldn't be that hard, but better than Superstar Saga?

I might just have to get this game before I planned to.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 04:59:58 PM »
Using review scores as a basis for whether or not to purchase a game is moronic.

Using review scores as a basis to validate your possibly-biased opinion of something is moronic.

Using review scores as a basis to declare that a game is arbitrarily better than another game is moronic.

Making up review scores as a basis to try to make a point and get people to agree with your opinion is unethical.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 05:01:04 PM »
Superstar Saga was good, but nowhere near that high tier of greatness everyone seems to bestow upon it. And Pokemon definitely doesn't get even that high.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 05:02:48 PM »
Kingdom Hearts: CoM is my favorite handheld title, followed closely by Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission.  But I suppose I can't fairly say they're better than BIS, as I've yet to play it.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »
Your criterion for "best" is highly skewed anyway, man.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »
You say this as if your criterion for "best" isn't highly skewed.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 05:55:01 PM »
Wow, really? ...Well, it's definitely good, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite handheld game ever... then again, I can't think of too many competitors--except for the original M&L, maybe.

Granted, WR's totally right.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 09:49:47 PM »
I'm wagering Kingdom Hearts 258/2 Days will beat it... eventually.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 07:38:57 AM »
What? From what I've heard, that one's getting a pretty lukewarm reception.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 10:25:29 AM »
358/2 Days is really pretty for a DS game, from what I've seen. So at least something is right with it.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »
It is an overall awesome game. I was very happy with it from the first ? block I hit to the end of the game. There's plenty of extra content to keep you going for another 5-15 hours depending on how you approach M&L's version of the "Pit of 100 trials" and special attack challenges.

The music is extremely well done, the dialog and actions of the characters are awesomely hilarious and clever... and they didn't make Bowser a complete idiot. He's actually a very competent Koopa in this game and intelligent, as well.

The main point is: go buy it. It's worth your $34.99 or whatever it is.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Print