Print

Author Topic: Miyamoto Hates Stories  (Read 32630 times)

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 07:06:58 PM »
It's a real shame that Miyamoto favors the kind of canned and packaged games that we see too much of today as opposed to a truly innovative and engaging storyline, especially for (arguably, I guess) Nintendo's flagship franchise.  I guess he figured that the Wii's technological leaps can make up for a poor plotline.

P.S. - My 100th post bows to Chupperson's 10,000th
-------------

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2009, 08:26:24 AM »
I also don't care for storylines in a game.  I always skip the cutscenes games and go straight to the game.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:37:15 AM by Silver Metaknight »
Victory... is my destiny!

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:19:18 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2009, 05:01:41 PM »
I also don't care for storylines in a game.  I always skip the cutscenes games and go straight to the game.

Same deal with me. I also get annoyed when new games in a franchise derail too much from it's predecessors like adding a new... now where was I going with this?
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2009, 05:16:28 PM »
If you ask me, it really is sad the Miyamoto feels like that... I personally thought that Galaxy hit the sweet spot with it's story. A small story to get the game moving, and then having Rosalina's elaborate backstory.

I don't mind there being less of a story in the platformers (I'd like to have elaborate stories though...) because we do get that in the RPGs, but something as dumb and un-imaginative as Peach getting lured into a trap with cake?! No. Just no.

The Mario series introduced story-lines into video gaming, it shouldn't stop just because the creator doesn't care enough to make a nice story.

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2009, 05:52:55 PM »
I would argue that Miyamoto doesn't "not care enough" to develop a plot; he simply doesn't want the accessible gameplay to be complicated by an intricate storyline. As stupid and contrived the idea of Peach being lured into Bowser's clutches by a slice of cake may be, the concept has served the series well. A Mario platformer without any Peach-napping is like an episode of Batman without Robin stating, "holy <insert noun here>, Batman!".

And that just can't be.

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »
Well, I agree on the Robin thing!

But I'm fine with Peach-napping! It just wouldn't be right without it! But that doesn't mean we need to change Peach's character just to do so. Sure, Peach was clueless in Sunshine, but if her voice actor changed her tone of voice into a different confused one, she wouldn't have been clueless at all even with the exact same line! (Saying "I'm your mama?" as in, "What are you talking about?") And I certainly don't see her as a glutton, rather a giving and kind person.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 06:27:16 PM by Marwiio »

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 12:56:56 PM »
A Mario platformer without any Peach-napping is like an episode of Batman without Robin stating, "holy <insert noun here>, Batman!".
I personally disagree with this statement so much that if I disagreed any more, it would probably transcend the space-time continuum. But I do see your point.

Or, I'd probably be content with something that involves Peach-napping, but also a bunch of other stuff. Sort of like what I did in my Super Mario World ROM hack series - Bowser kidnaps Peach, but there's also a lot of mystery and explaining about how he found his new hideout, and the power sources he found at the islands, and how the natives called for help, and about the battle between the natives and their enemies, and the world-destroying explosive inside a tiny gem...
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2009, 01:25:50 AM »
Why does it feel like all of the great masterminds of the 80's and 90's are loosing their minds?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »
I dunno about loosing them, but definitely they are losing them.
That was a joke.

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2009, 11:17:07 PM »
A person carved out of tree stumps in the trailer? What on earth are they talking about?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2009, 11:49:11 PM »
I think that's a mangled reference to the little dude made out of wood in what I bet $50 will be called the Limber Lumber Galaxy.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 12:10:06 AM »
You owe us each fifty if it's called the Limber Timber Galaxy, though.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 09:50:53 AM »
Curses, you're right! Then again, I guess we could just all end up with the Wild Woody Galaxy, but something tells me that's a less than likely option.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2009, 09:53:31 AM »
The Great Tree Galaxy
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print